• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Leader Doesn’t Believe Physical Games Will Go Away

Metnut

Sony’s disc editions are selling 9:1 over digital only. Physical isn’t going anywhere. They are still making vinyl records and that type of niche market is the worst case for physical.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Physical games bring in 10 billion a year. That's not small money in this industry.
It's estimated that global video game revenues will be over 350 billion globally this year. 10 billion is less than 3% of that. 10 billion isn't small change, but when It comes to trying to capture more lucrative market share companies would likely be willing to stop chasing the piece that's only 2.85% of the market and shrinking every year to focus on something bigger.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It will go away because Sony Microsoft and Nintendo will not giving us the choice in a few years
Sony is about to release a PS5 revision thats basically a digital edition console disc drive bundle.

That new PS5 disc version doesnt need to exist at launch. Sony will keep pushing physical games. Nintendo too.

Did you miss the Series X refresh leak thats a digital edition console? MS will be the first to go all digital.

yeah genius Sony apparently just wanna gave up the shitload of money they make from physical sales
This too. The games split heavily favor Sony.

Last edited:
Physical will most likely still be around in some way within the next few years and even in the distant future, but in very limited form imo. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for an all digital future and it’s obvious that the companies want to do away with physical to get more control over distribution and pricing.

kiphalfton

I have no doubt predatory companies, like limited run games, will release even more games physically and fuck collectors sideways.

Pimpbaa

Hell we might not even have real consoles anymore in a few generations (they will be just streaming devices), physical media will be quite dead by then. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on Switch 2 being the last new console generation with physical media. I guess it depends on what the physical media vs digital ratio is by the end of this gen (PS5/XSX). MS already seems intent on killing off physical this gen (with no disc drive on the new Series X).

zombrex

Naive to think physical games will go away. The majority are still buying physical games for many reasons including cheaper prices, no need to download 50+GB, ability to resell, trade in and share with friends/family and for collecting a tangible item. Also let's not forget that videogames require consoles while movies and music do not, so retailers want physical games and accessories to sell with the consoles Sony and Microsoft need to get to consumers.

Last edited:

OCL

yeah genius Sony apparently just wanna gave up the shitload of money they make from physical sales
Are you stupid ? If they take away physical disc and force everyone to buy everything on the store they'll make waaaaay more money.

brenobnfm

Are you stupid ? If they take away physical disc and force everyone to buy everything on the store they'll make waaaaay more money.

Yeah because everyone who buys physical, something that holds and sometimes even increase in value, will now burn money on full priced digital rentals, 100% guaranteed..

It will go away because Sony Microsoft and Nintendo will not giving us the choice in a few years

This is a delusional US-centric view of the market.

When you look at the digital-physical split for game sales in the rest of the world, it's pretty clear Sony and Nintendo won't be foregoing physical media for a long time yet.

MS might, but only because their console sales are either quickly approaching or already essentially irrelevant everywhere outside of the US now.

ProtoByte

It's estimated that global video game revenues will be over 350 billion globally this year. 10 billion is less than 3% of that. 10 billion isn't small change, but when It comes to trying to capture more lucrative market share companies would likely be willing to stop chasing the piece that's only 2.85% of the market and shrinking every year to focus on something bigger.
You're telling me that global gaming revenue will double what it was in 2022. I will need a source.

Tams

Sony sells a digital only console this gen. Microsoft’s revealed Series X refresh is digital only.

It’s slowly happening. I expect next gen to be it.

Sony have gone back towards physical media, if only a happy side-benefit, as they now have one PS5 machine which has a default bundle with the disc drive and cover.

Only Microsoft are making sounds of going fully digital and we all know their history there.

Drew1440

Physical media will stay, but I can't see a future in optical discs like Blu-Ray. Read only USB Memory sticks or SD cards might work as a successor but will still be more expensive compared to disc and will serve a niche market.

Tams

Physical media will stay, but I can't see a future in optical discs like Blu-Ray. Read only USB Memory sticks or SD cards might work as a successor but will still be more expensive compared to disc and will serve a niche market.

Discs are just so much cheaper to produce though. Ridiculously so.

For the consumer, discs are also much more resilient than solid state storage if handled properly.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You're telling me that global gaming revenue will double what it was in 2022. I will need a source.

Sorcerer

But Sony also made a Blu-ray add-on drive. What makes you think they wouldn't just make the PS6 have an extra add-on drive to play physical media games on (at a minimum)?
They have to offer the Blu-Ray drive if the plan is to pare down to one sku. They can't screw people over who have physical games if their machines break down. PS6 will most likely be digital only. Backwards compatibility is not something they have to guarantee in that case.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I find these projections pretty hard to believe.

That said, assuming that the 100 billion from China projection was true, that'd be supermajority mobile revenue. I also think you're assuming that such growth in the game industry as a whole would not also occur for physical games - and when a market doubles in size, that's doubtful to me.

We'll revisit this when it's all said and done.

Physical games had actual value when games didn't require a day 1 patch just to be playable. And even then DRM free is far more valuable than physical games.

Bkdk

Of course physical stuff won't be going away all of a sudden, you can't delete them, your old 20 year old physical copy will always be there. However will it generate much sales in the future, that's another story.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They have to offer the Blu-Ray drive if the plan is to pare down to one sku. They can't screw people over who have physical games if their machines break down. PS6 will most likely be digital only. Backwards compatibility is not something they have to guarantee in that case.

So why wouldn't the PS6 have a potential add-on Blu-ray drive like the PS5 slim? I'm not sure why you are fighting this possiblity?

Sorcerer

So why wouldn't the PS6 have a potential add-on Blu-ray drive like the PS5 slim? I'm not sure why you are fighting this possiblity?
That's probably where the console manufacturers probably want to head in the future. It's as though Sony is hinting at it right now. Even the pricing is a little strange, as it seems to cost you more to get the slim sku with a disc add on than just buying the complete system right now. Sort of a deterrent. I think the only trick is how are they going to cut out retailers? Retailers don't make much on the consoles, they rely on the software (same as the console manufacturers). What incentive will retailers have to sell the machines? Unless the consoles are priced even higher to ensure retailers a better profit margin. Cards don't make much sense when you can just download what you need from home.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's probably where the console manufacturers probably want to head in the future. It's as though Sony is hinting at it right now. Even the pricing is a little strange, as it seems to cost you more to get the slim sku with a disc add on than just buying the complete system right now. Sort of a deterrent. I think the only trick is how are they going to cut out retailers? Retailers don't make much on the consoles, they rely on the software (same as the console manufacturers). What incentive will retailers have to sell the machines? Unless the consoles are priced even higher to ensure retailers a better profit margin. Cards don't make much sense when you can just download what you need from home.

I still believe Sony's move here shows that they are objectively telling gamers that they support disc-based gaming, rather than moving away from it (imo). Had they done what MS is doing (making their slim consoles disc-less), then I'd agree with you. For instance, how will Sony deal with consumers that buy the new PS5-slim and a BR add-on? How will I play my PS5 disc-based games on the PS6?

If they were going disc-less on the PS6, they may as well start that trend now.

Sorcerer

I still believe Sony's move here shows that they are objectively telling gamers that they support disc-based gaming, rather than moving away from it (imo). Had they done what MS is doing (making their slim consoles disc-less), then I'd agree with you. For instance, how will Sony deal with consumers that buy the new PS5-slim and a BR add-on? How will I play my PS5 disc-based games on the PS6?

If they were going disc-less on the PS6, they may as well start that trend now.
That's an interesting way to look at it. You could be right. I guess time will tell.

Top Bottom