• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Sora by OpenAi, AAA games by AI are months away

RaySoft

That just sounds like a Rogue-like game stretched to its logical extreme. This has appeal to a certain gamer type, but I prefer curation and fixed maps.

I would rather that AI be used to create experiences that can be selected fo and decided by a human, who had a goal in mind. Then that game would have the same experience for every customer. Palworld is fixed and is the reason people can talk about the world with each other. If everything is random then you can't share tips or maps.

For example, a game by Hideo Kojima would have his vision of what he wanted. Even if he has AI assistance he would still be the one to decide on how the game would progress. Personal taste is personal.
I'm not talking about the AI replacing the game director, but that AI is replacing the game engine. You could make any game you like, even single player story driven games. Just think of games of today, but with an AI as the game engine/3d renderer.

I'm not talking about the AI replacing the game director, but that AI is replacing the game engine. You could make any game you like, even single player story driven games. Just think of games of today, but with an AI as the game engine/3d renderer.
Technically a weaker version was done by Horizon Zero Dawn team for the game terrain.
Yes, people are going to lose their jobs, but we were never able to afford to employ them to begin with. CGI artists are too expensive to hire too many.

Three

I think what we can hope to see in the short term is something like this

Right now Sora has too many limitations with physics and persistence.

Last edited:

locoghoul

Neo Member
Is not even close for videogames yet. People were jumping on AI movies for example, which are less complex, since they don't have players' input or commands, and as of right now you are getting 60 secs of generated video. The amount of resources required for a full say 90 mins is crazy. Just to get an idea, Disney spent 3-4k per second of CGI for The Marvels.

So don't hold your breath for AI games until 2 more gens maybe. They might help with cutscenes generation but a fully AI developed game won't happen until 2040.

Oh, yeah... I will never stop being amazed at how Cyberpunk stories permanently marked multiple generations of scientists and engineers, as to cause them to use a Japanese name for their latest AI software, despite a complete lack of any actual Japanese involvement in the project that we know of.

Much like how Tesla's prototype robots are named after Transformers characters.

I guess the feeling is mutual, as the real Japanese powersuit for the disabled is run by Cyberdyne and is called HAL.

RaySoft

Ofc it has... now. I'm not talking now, I'm thinking ahead. Sora can't even stay "focused" (being coherent with "remembering" everything in frame) for more than a minute. But progress is exponential. A year ago some ppl said AI would never make videos at the quality of dall-e etc..

RaySoft

Technically a weaker version was done by Horizon Zero Dawn team for the game terrain.
Yes, people are going to lose their jobs, but we were never able to afford to employ them to begin with. CGI artists are too expensive to hire too many.
That was just procedural terrain placements where they used a matrix score system to let the engine know what objects were best suited together. Although in the same vein as AI, still far from it.

That was just procedural terrain placements where they used a matrix score system to let the engine know what objects were best suited together. Although in the same vein as AI, still far from it.
In the end they would be used the same way; to increase production speed and to need less artists. I am sympathetic to artists, but their salaries were eating up the gaming budget as it was. It nearly killed Squaresoft. Maybe new tech means we would start to get THREE games released of the same franchise in the same console, like we used to.

The story and gameplay of games haven't changed that much; it is the graphics that got out of hand in the modern day. Gaming would benefit on more money focused on gameplay.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You need to think bigger... Replace your GPU with an NPU and the game would spit out video based on your controller inputs. Like streaming, but the game isn't rasterized, it's generated.

Why not think even bigger than that and let the AI stream all that good shit right into your brain cortex so you''re actually living in that game with all your senses experiencing a world so real you could smell and touch it. No need to go out of the house, your $2500 superduper Nvidia 7090 will create worlds so real you wouldn't want to leave your house. Taking it a step further, imagine wanting to spend the rest of your life in that brave new virtual world. you wouldn't even need a bed, a kitchen, a house, etc. They could store you in a pod along with hundreds of millions of other pod people and you wouldn't even know it. You'd own nothing and still be happy. Big AI would take care of us human batteries forever!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well at least Sweet Baby can’t ruin it.
Can you give me a quick primer on the Sweet Baby thing? I've seen that a lot lately but not sure where it stemmed from.

I googled them and saw on their website that they were the 'sensitivity reader' (censorship) for Alan Wake II so I assume they are useless pieces of trash masquerading as professionals.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I think a bigger problem will be the costs. Every big tech company is building server farms and super computers creating better AI solutions, they're in technological rat race and getting on top is much more important than making money. But there are immense back end costs. People here seem to think that in the future AI computer power is unlimited and at the same generating movies (or even 3D games) in real time will cost almost nothing. That's not going to be the case for obvious reasons.

Ultimately all of these companies will want to recoup their ludicrously large investments and then reality will set in. OpenAI wants to invest 7 trillion dollars (!!!) into new chips. Someone will have to pay for all of that at some point. My feeling is that we're living in a revved up version of the Dot Com bubble in the lates 90ies.

kruis

Can you give me a quick primer on the Sweet Baby thing? I've seen that a lot lately but not sure where it stemmed from.

I googled them and saw on their website that they were the 'sensitivity reader' (censorship) for Alan Wake II so I assume they are useless pieces of trash masquerading as professionals.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thanks. I just looked into a bit further and wow, had no idea they were involved in so many games. It's no wonder so many AAA games focus on absolute woke cringe nonsense.

“AAA”? More likely shovelware. At least at first.

Intelligent use of AI tools like this are going to take time and depth hands to develop proper games with solid direction.

It’s more likely smaller studios will put out games sooner than AAA studios.

By the time Tencent, Epic & Activision get to openly using these tools; Steam, mobile games and likely the eShop will see a flood generic ripoffs.

We already have had to deal with Palworld and Pokémon copyright claims.

What’s next? Halo, Uncharted or Grand Theft Auto 6 infringement before their launch?

Every game they potentially gets leaked could be used for AI fodder and sold ahead of a competition’s launch. Cannibalizing and capitalizing on public mindshare.

Last edited:

Dutchy

I'm a software developer,
Text and code

have been into digital music production (semi professionally) for 25 years
Audio
, and have family in the graphic arts.
Not sure why this would give you more merit. My dad is a plasterer?

I'm not saying this is going to happen in the next few months, but we are unequivocally on the tracks, and the train is gaining momentum at an exponential rate.

At a bare minimum, likely within the next several years, projects that employed large teams of people will be replaced by a single person adept at utilizing AI tools.
Not a matter of when, but if.

IF video/gaming production wants to be viable through AI, it has to become open-source. And a whole library of software would have to be built around it. This requires far more bureaucracy than you think.

So

Need a logo for your business? Here are 1000 options, instantly. Need a commercial for your business? Here are 1000 options, instantly. Need music for your commercial? Need a voice over? Need a drone shot? Need a website? Need customer service reps? Need delivery drivers? Need warehouse workers? (soon)

Yeah. ur getting a little bit too excited there little man. Understandably so, but worth being mentioned imo.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Already more than a year since gpt4 and games that really use gpt to power npc conversation is very scarce.

DeathGuise

I'm surprised that anyone is making any definitive prediction with any degree of vehemence. The only thing we know is that AI is advancing at an exponential rate. I don't have enough confidence to claim that AI games are months away, but I think it would be pretty dumb to say it's impossible.

digdug2

I'm interested in seeing what AI would do with 70s/80s text-based and limited graphics computer games; Zork, King's Quest, Oregon Trail, Colossal Cave Adventure, etc.

What would the original creators of these games think about the AI's output? Would it be mind-blowing? A Disappointment?

SNG32

The world is changing fast and yes this definitely will affect a lot of industries. But if you’re creative you can do well with A.I. Think about how easy it will be to create your own vision with tools that are in the palm of your hand. As old jobs go new ones are created.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's interesting how this works, been talking abstracly about how 3d graphics are due for a revolution by way of a paradigm shift in how things are drawn. Didn't exactly see this coming though. We could see photo realism much faster.

It's interesting how this works, been talking abstracly about how 3d graphics are due for a revolution by way of a paradigm shift in how things are drawn. Didn't exactly see this coming though. We could see photo realism much faster.
Yeah this is like a whole different way of rendering an image with a computer right?

Buggy Loop

Yeah this is like a whole different way of rendering an image with a computer right?

Yup. Nothing to do with traditional polygons, textures, screen space reflections, ray tracing, etc. It’s 3D gaussian splats, it breaks my mind and the AI knows what the reflection should look like, how the lighting should look like at any given time, etc. It’s basically outputting everything it learned from looking at real life photos and videos. Very low performance costs compared to rigs that would even try to approach this with traditional rendering ( no hardware as of now would even come close ).

WbOAweP.gif

Edit - also, good luck if you are looking for work and didn’t create the perfectly tailored resume to the position…you won’t even be considered for an interview even if you are the most qualified…AI is a fucking joke and if you support it now, good luck when you legitimately need to talk to a human being in about 10 years for literally anything from customer service to food ordering. It’s sad that we aren’t even standing up against this nonsense right now….you, me, all of us will seriously regret it.

Mate I'll take AI over bored 15 year old any day of the week.

Top Bottom