• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Source Code Leaked including Creator payout reports

Papacheeks

Banned
It's pretty sad to be honest. Out side of setting up equipment themselves I doubt any of them know how to change a tire, or do an oil change or use a drill or wrench to fix something. It takes no skill as anyone can do this, you just have to be either entertaining or really good at games which there are lots of people.
Then just sell your soul to marketing and you can have millions. I would rather have skills and have an actual feeling of accomplishment. These people are disjockies without any knowledge or training on how to be one and how you conduct yourself.

Part of that is twitches fault. The other is ours for letting kids watch these people who are not good role models. This busniess is not a good role model, it's a soulless job that in my opinion I feel is what people do when they dont actually want to work or work hard towards a goal.
Then when they dont get subs or superchats or donations they bitch that the system isnt fair.

I get that watching is entertaining and I do watch them on youtube clips once in a while, but I would rather watch Louder with Crowder or some kind of well produced show on youtube. I think thats why I always try to watch DR.Disrespect because he literally puts on a show. But he also is part of the problem when it comes to being responsible. But Guy has actually made games.
I have to much self respect to slap Monster stickers on my fridge, which is.....in my kitchen to sell my soul for money.
All of those people are overpaid for what is entertainment. They are making more than most actors that literally are washing dishes, or working at Restaurants until their next gig. I hate the impact this has had on younger generation.

At least with Youtube shows, people literally have to know what they are doing if you want to grow. You need to be business minded, know how to block out segments of a show, camera work, lighting, if you have a set and want a TV like show you need a crew helping with sound, the streams, inputs, shots, calls.
I have way more respect for people like Louder with Crowder, Easy Allies, and the likes because they did the work. They all literally worked for Gametrailers for years, know how to block shows, light, manage. If you want to sell your soul just be funny or a goofball trolling on popular games and you can make money.

And to me thats the wrong message to send to kids.
I see Youtube shows as the evolution of radio/satellite radio. Twitch should be that too, I wish instead of dumb ass kids who know nothing most of the time about the games they play development wise we could have a open dialogue with developers and have them stream their unfinished games and show people how stuff is made while getting paid.

The fact these fucks are making more than a designer who works twice to three times the amount they do in a day really makes me beyond fucking angry.

Thats why I'll never do game streaming, but believe in doing shows like video casts.

RANT OVER, sorry gaf, seeing that kind of money being made by these douches without responsibility's grinds my gears.

Midn1ght

Buy a hot tub.
I have some serious tongue skills so I might just buy one of those ASMR microphone.

licking bbc GIF by Top Gear

what game?

Sent you a DM, not sure it is allowed to advertise our own shit here.

It's pretty sad to be honest. Out side of setting up equipment themselves I doubt any of them know how to change a tire, or do an oil change or use a drill or wrench to fix something. It takes no skill as anyone can do this, you just have to be either entertaining or really good at games which there are lots of people.
Then just sell your soul to marketing and you can have millions. I would rather have skills and have an actual feeling of accomplishment. These people are disjockies without any knowledge or training on how to be one and how you conduct yourself.

Part of that is twitches fault. The other is ours for letting kids watch these people who are not good role models. This busniess is not a good role model, it's a soulless job that in my opinion I feel is what people do when they dont actually want to work or work hard towards a goal.
Then when they dont get subs or superchats or donations they bitch that the system isnt fair.

I get that watching is entertaining and I do watch them on youtube clips once in a while, but I would rather watch Louder with Crowder or some kind of well produced show on youtube. I think thats why I always try to watch DR.Disrespect because he literally puts on a show. But he also is part of the problem when it comes to being responsible. But Guy has actually made games.
I have to much self respect to slap Monster stickers on my fridge, which is.....in my kitchen to sell my soul for money.
All of those people are overpaid for what is entertainment. They are making more than most actors that literally are washing dishes, or working at Restaurants until their next gig. I hate the impact this has had on younger generation.

At least with Youtube shows, people literally have to know what they are doing if you want to grow. You need to be business minded, know how to block out segments of a show, camera work, lighting, if you have a set and want a TV like show you need a crew helping with sound, the streams, inputs, shots, calls.
I have way more respect for people like Louder with Crowder, Easy Allies, and the likes because they did the work. They all literally worked for Gametrailers for years, know how to block shows, light, manage. If you want to sell your soul just be funny or a goofball trolling on popular games and you can make money.

I see Youtube shows as the evolution of radio/satellite radio. Twitch should be that too, I wish instead of dumb ass kids who know nothing most of the time about the games they play development wise we could have a open dialogue with developers and have them stream their unfinished games and show people how stuff is made while getting paid.

The fact these fucks are making more than a designer who works twice to three times the amount they do in a day really makes me beyond fucking angry.

Thats why I'll never do game streaming, but believe in doing shows like video casts.

RANT OVER, sorry gaf, seeing that kind of money being made by these douches without responsibility's grinds my gears.

This is the biggest load of out of touch bullshit I've read in a while. It's called supply and demand. These people have the access to a focused demographic for hours on end with thousands of concurrent viewers. I'm sorry but that's much more valuable than someone doing design work. Do you know how much money you'd have to spend ad agencies for things like that 20 years ago?

Yes the successful ones mostly get lucky. But actually being engaging/entertaining non stop for hours is definitely a talent. If I wanted to become a designer/have most respectable career jobs - I could quite easily achieve that. If I wanted to be a top streamer, I wouldn't have a chance in hell. You make it sound like these jobs grow on trees.

You're chatting crap about game devs doing streams of their unfinished games? They do that shit. Guess what? It's boring for most people and doesn't get many views. Not everyone who likes to play games is an enthusiast, in fact, most aren't. They just want to have fun and be entertained.

Edit: you just come across as a very bitter, boring person.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
In the future, people will be able to look back on videos like that as artefacts of our culture... and I AM SO FUCKING EMBARASSED FOR ALL OF US.

I'm pretty sure if I'd met you on the street and asked "hello sir, would you lick a microphone fot 100.000$?" you'd swallow it up before even answering the question... The bottomline is, no one will look back, nobody cares, people live in the now. Remember harlem shake? Ice bucket challenge? Cinnamon challenge? Nobody remembers, nobody cares that people made fools of themselves. The "beauty" of being an internet celebrity is that once you decide to quit people almost instantly forget about you because there's always someone new, fresh just around the corner people attach to.

Entertaining is a rather subjective term. Half the streamers on Twitch are middle-aged men who live in their mothers basements, and the other half are pre-pubescent brats who have no life experience. I find neither one entertaining, yet people are still stupid/desperate/horny enough to pay them.
Who gives a flying duck though?

I'm not a streamers best friend at all, but are we really bitching about the fact that average humans have a way to be millionaires?

Fuck it man, whatever. We should be happy that there are so many revenue streams one can make these days compared to a hundred years ago - not celebrate the idea of less of it.

I have my qualms with a lot of things in life that involve the means to make money and how you earn it, streaming isnt one of them.

xHunter

What is this about?

Its the gold version of the most iconic emote at twitch. It was rumored to be dropping randomly to any user on the site, looks like people were granting access to it. If you had it, for 24 hours whenever you typed "Kappa" in the chat, it would appear as the golden version.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I hate everything about this thread. But that could just be because I’m jealous people are getting paid $700K for sitting on their arses playing videogames.
It's harder than you think. Anyone can sit on their ass and play video games, but it takes talent, skill, and hard work to convince other people to spend their time watching you.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I am jealously ranting around.
Holy shit, man, I think you should take a football-field sized step back and reassess your situation and view of other people's lives.

Sure, the top paid few are absurdly overpaid for the work they put in and deliver, especially the "reaction/booba/famous-for-being-famous" kind.
But that is true for the top % of basically any profession on this planet, it's just cranked up a notch in entertainment.

Being a Twitch host (if you do it for the entertainment/money, that is, there are other reasons) is basically akin to being a radio host mixed with a bunch of other stuff.
You think it's not real work to try and be entertaining for 8+ hours straight and function as host + entertainer + moderator + gamer + ... at the same time?
All the behind-the-scenes organization/preparation you never see?
Taking significant income losses if you allow yourself to take a break, even if for health reasons?
Managing a community on and OFF stream (Discord/Guilded/Whatever)?
Also producing content on YouTube, etc. because being on Twitch alone just doesn't cut it for the majority of people?

The last point is also kind of the main one.
I don't fully remember the statistic, but it was something along the lines of "less than 1%" of regular/professional Twitch streamers actually manage to make a living from that that would be above minimum wage.
Just put that into perspective: Less than 1% of people following a profession are making a tolerable living out of it.
And people thought musicians had it bad...

Are there more demanding jobs, both physically and mentally? Of course. But those are also usually better paid to begin with.
You seem to think that "just play games 8h per day on stream lol" is all there is to it - but that's far from the truth, at least when it comes to those actually trying to make a living with it.
That misconception is probably why so many people go into it, thinking they can make it when they really are ill suited and qualified.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If it's so easy, why don't you guys start your career right now? I'd expect you to be making at least 5 million by the time PS5s are back in stock, and you can probably even buy all 3 consoles and end the console wars forever.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

ZgD0DUf_ke7UwKoJOZ_VUJNqOnhAkMvLsKfHXcFJuxC1mFUhDD3TCmhEfVK2ipPtAGG569db7oTGwInJ8knRfm0mzIq6w-n1xFipChf4jUYEIPk6UDm7Eb2YwMtNzAZwSoF0G461B9pI5N-bn_zQ0JnUuYvfcFMtYPk

Bragr

Banned
What a fuck, they earn THAT much? talk about a completely broken fucking bullshit system, jesus christ anyone of these that still accepts donations is a complete fucking piece of shit.

Keihart

Kinda cool to see Avoidingthepuddle doing so good while doing absolutely whatever he wants with his stream.
Jinnytty must be doing really good too considering that's only twitch and her tts donos are mostly from a Korean site.

ZywyPL

Banned

Bad comparison IMO, as YT is more about hitting the algorytm more than anything else, so eventually even a good content creators has to spam junk at certain time and date with some minimum length, whereas on Twitch people are free to stream whenever they want, how long they want. Because of Google's stupid policy YT has been losing quality for quite a while, for example something that started as a great weekly 30min. show, slowly starts to put out videos twice a week, three times a week, 45min. long, 60min. long, every single day, twice a day, it honestly is more of a desperation to put out something, anything as often as possible just to hit that algorytm, rather than an actually good content when you actually have something interesting to say.

And I just cannot think how stressful and exhausting this has to be for the creators, whereas on Twitch like I said, people stream whenever they feel like. You feel ill, you take a break. You wanna go on a summer holiday trip, you just pack and go. Christmas Holidays and NYE, same deal, you just visit your family or friends and screw the stream, it'll be still there waiting for you. Just some basic personal stuff, again, you just walk out of the house and go, you just leave a message "no stream today guys" and that's it.

Keihart

You are still essentially sat on your ass doing nothing. Fair enough, you have to maybe spend five minutes putting up fancy graphics and you talk throughout the stream, but it’s hardly taxing.

Your really need to have a luck build and charisma to be successful at streaming.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Great representation of how utterly fucked humanity is when we are economically rewarding people playing videogames and screaming more than we fund scientists doing research on how we can save ourselves from ourselves.
Eh. Entertainment has always been this way. We have gone through some pretty rough wars and depressions, and in the midst of all that we still had movies being made, sports being played, and people getting paid huge sums to punch each other in the face.

Wildebeest

XQC was getting paid that much and still felt he had to take sponsorships from scammy gambling sites based in unregulated tax havens. And his viewers can't stop watching him. I don't see how any "relevation" here could be more damaging.

Papacheeks

Banned

I'm serious, there's no responsibility to twitch streamers like there are in other entertainment mediums. It's wild west, you now have girls licking microphones just getting money. If something happens in the stream community rarely is there something in place.

There's more swatting, and ill-intent done because of streaming. Where did this stuff happen to the extent you heard about it on radio shows? I mean your going to have hatters and people send threats and sometimes come down to the studio, but you have things in place.

These kids literally are streaming from their homes? Hardly any of this money is taxed. You just have kids now exposing themselves to the internet getting a following, and being followed by who knows.
I am not against what the medium is, I think its the natural progression of how shows are done in terms of radio/talk shows, entertainment shows like howard stern.

But there needs to be things in place, right now its wild west. And a girl can make hundreds of thousands of dollars for wearing skimpy shit and adding really nothing to the medium. Then getting pissed when twitch bans or comes down on them and saying you cant wear that kind of shit.

Just hope it gets a little more advanced in how it handles things.

I mean look at whats happening right now with Facebook?

Star-Lord

Your really need to have a luck build and charisma to be successful at streaming.

Were those videos supposed to back up your argument? Because it didn’t work. Further to the point, the first video only confirmed my statement about Twitch streamers being middle-aged men living in their mothers basements.

Top Bottom