• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch goes crazy, removes label 'Blind Playthrough' following SJW pressure

NickFire

We need a wall of shame thread for posts that aged horribly. The only problem is it would hit 1000 pages just with "slippery slopes are logical fallacy" posts from a few years ago by mostly departed members.

Atrus

Gold Member
Quick question because I am apparently too retarded to get this:
How would a literal blind person actually be triggered by a tag which they cant see anyway?

Oh, it doesn't matter.

It's the people who are offended on their behalf that need a platform to vent their never-ending mental illnesses because they are super-sympathetic people who would literally purge this world of the inferior beings who aren't as socially conscious as they are.

I'm pretty sure if someone came out with a cure for all physical disabilities tomorrow these people would be crying about ethnocide and eugenics.

I swear Twitch does bullshit like this to distract from how poorly run a company it is, the whole DMCA thing is ruining the livelihood of streamers because Twitch is too stingy to license music so Twitch thought lets change the narrative.

At a company level giving in so easily to just one dubious complaint from an activist yet ignoring the pleas from its own customers base is telling.

Also what happened to the Twitch safety council, remember that, wasn't it supposed to be a moderating factor ?

It's a shame there is no other Twitch competitor because none of the other services seems to understand how to pull the hardcore Twitch base away who wont leave unless all of their emotes system like BTTV and Frankerfacez are on the other service.

There's Youtube and Trovo and that's really all.

I swear Twitch does bullshit like this to distract from how poorly run a company it is, the whole DMCA thing is ruining the livelihood of streamers because Twitch is too stingy to license music so Twitch thought lets change the narrative.

At a company level giving in so easily to just one dubious complaint from an activist yet ignoring the pleas from its own customers base is telling.

Also what happened to the Twitch safety council, remember that, wasn't it supposed to be a moderating factor ?

It's a shame there is no other Twitch competitor because none of the other services seems to understand how to pull the hardcore Twitch base away who wont leave unless all of their emotes system like BTTV and Frankerfacez are on the other service.

There's Youtube and Trovo and that's really all.

Oh no, the livelihood of streamers! Gonna stop at the UPS Store later and send out some thoughts and prayers.

WakeTheWolf

If only it were that easy. Twitch has something like 70-80% of game streaming viewership while YouTube I believe is next at around 20%. Facebook still struggles to make streaming more important on their platform because that’s not why people are on FB in the first place.

But I think streamers really need to start to at least explore the other options available to them. Maybe use a service like restream to get themselves on multiple platforms at the same time. Twitch’s trouble with DMCA is only just beginning, and it’s probably going to get a lot worse before it get better... IF it gets better.

Don't worry Twitch will make it easier for you when it's all boring content and the decent streamers are exiled from it

Don't worry Twitch will make it easier for you when it's all boring content and the decent streamers are exiled from it

As someone who really only began to take streaming seriously this year, I fortunately haven’t been swayed to one platform or another. I’m not an affiliate, nor do I want to be. I’d rather just put my PayPal up as a link and let people donate tips if they so desire. This will ensure I’m not tied to a sinking ship with nowhere left to go.

Seems kind of dumb to get upset over this. So they changed something they thought was offensive. Dumb or not who cares?

Terminology changes with the times. That's a thing that happens.

Last edited:
Playstation live had great potentional

i think itvwas mistake removing from ps5 ui

you couldv created your own streamibg service sony you gked up

Dunki

Seems kind of dumb to get upset over this. So they changed something they thought was offensive. Dumb or not who cares?

Terminology changes with the times. That's a thing that happens.
BUT NO ONE Wanted it. Not even blind people Especially blind people actually want more accessibilty and other options. It is a move to look woke and nothing else. They criticze Twitch for it too.

BUT NO ONE Wanted it. Not even blind people Especially blind people actually want more accessibility and other options. It is a move to look woke and nothing else. They criticze Twitch for it too.
Whose no one? You literally posted a twitter thread where people were happy it was changed and said there were many among the disabled community asking for a change. These people were clearly offended with having a disability tied to a term basically saying "sorry if I'm an idiot/making mistakes". There is clearly a group that did't like it. So it's no no one.

I understand our society is fought with knowing how to handle these things and finding a balance between logic and pandering. But saying no one asked is pretty stupid. You did'nt ask for it, those people did. Are you blind or disabled? Why do you care?

Terms change all the time. We don't use retard or the n-word because yes it offended some people. I'm sure if twitter existed back groups would be posting that they don't like electrical guides using retard in them. Would they be sjws to you?

Is it a move to get brownie points? Sure, Twitch wants to look like a welcoming place. Sure its a pr move for cheap. Thats what companies do. Big deal. Oh some other blind people think it's stupid. Ok, they aren't a monolith. But again I ask you, why do you care? How is this hurting you? You have other terms that say the same thing to tag with. Why is this a hill to battle on?

I'm not blind or disabled. I don't care either way.

Armorous

Almost as bad as place of work making us stop using the term whitelisting of an IP address because its racist.

Atrus

Gold Member
Whose no one? You literally posted a twitter thread where people were happy it was changed and said there were many among the disabled community asking for a change. These people were clearly offended with having a disability tied to a term basically saying "sorry if I'm an idiot/making mistakes". There is clearly a group that did't like it. So it's no no one.

I understand our society is fought with knowing how to handle these things and finding a balance between logic and pandering. But saying no one asked is pretty stupid. You did'nt ask for it, those people did. Are you blind or disabled? Why do you care?

Terms change all the time. We don't use retard or the n-word because yes it offended some people. I'm sure if twitter existed back groups would be posting that they don't like electrical guides using retard in them. Would they be sjws to you?

Is it a move to get brownie points? Sure, Twitch wants to look like a welcoming place. Sure its a pr move for cheap. Thats what companies do. Big deal. Oh some other blind people think it's stupid. Ok, they aren't a monolith. But again I ask you, why do you care? How is this hurting you? You have other terms that say the same thing to tag with. Why is this a hill to battle on?

This has nothing to do with society and everything to do with a loud minority of creepy, mentally disturbed people who in the internet age are fueled by the attention provided by a toxic blend of anonymity, narcissism, and social media.

The reaction is largely because its silly and founded in stupidity.

Context and nuance is something I think that is lost on a lot of people nowadays, I feel sorry for people who are so blind as to only see one and only one possible use or meaning of a word.

Knightime_X

Ffs what's next?
Can't say the names of any color in fear of it being considered racist?
Fuck this timeline

Last edited:
I'm glad that I've been going over George Carlin's material recently given how relevant it is to modern times.

You don't care either way, but you care enough to tell other people to stop caring.

And people objecting to the change clearly doesn't hurt you in any way.

So how come you aren't following your own advice?

Last edited:

GrayChild

Imagine if any of these ableism-crying snowflakes play through the Crow's Perch sidequest in The Witcher 3 against Stuttering Matko:

Dunki

I did what?

If iýou want I can post twitter threds in which blind or almost blind people think this is stupid and that they rather instead of being fake woke do some actual changes for accessibility

MastaKiiLA

Tons of words in the English language to relay the same meaning. If it makes someone feel better while gaming, it's all good. Seems the words hurt the feelings more of those who consistently rail against sensitivity. I think we know who the real snowflakes are.

When did everyone get offended of everything? Honestly the world has become pussified by an age of people growing up getting constant positive reinforcement and participation trophies.
Not me! I disabled psn trophy notifications a long time ago! Should have been a launch feature, imo.

reptilex

Banned
As always...
iENhs3p.png

Last edited:
I did what?

If iýou want I can post twitter threds in which blind or almost blind people think this is stupid and that they rather instead of being fake woke do some actual changes for accessibility
No I don’t care and I wonder why you do.

You said that no one wanted this, but in the op(which I mistakenly thought was you) there are clearly people who asked for it. So it’s not no one.

But what’s the problem? Why do you care? Is it because some people “complained” and they got what they wanted? That a company got some cheap pr points?

so what?

You can find people saying the change is stupid? And. Why is that more valid then the people asking for the change?

There dosent even seem like there’s outrage. A group of people asked for it to be changed and twitch saw no problem appeasing them. It went from few people offended to no one offended and the functionality is still there. What is the problem? Some people you don’t agree with got what they want?

Dunki

There dosent even seem like there’s outrage. A group of people asked for it to be changed and twitch saw no problem appeasing them. It went from few people offended to no one offended and the functionality is still there. What is the problem? Some people you don’t agree with got what they want?

Ok I will try again, Twitch has a suggestions page. In which people can say suggestions about changes etc. And there NO ONE asked for it. And Aureylian said we did listen to everyone. And I asked who are these people.

The only real person who I found was asking for it is a well known asshole who always loves to speak for people. He is also the guy who always asked for an easy mode in Souls game etc.

So I ask again WHO asked for it.

Also Blind is not even a I can not see only definition. It was never used in derogatory way to begin with.,

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of shallow, performative nonsense that is entirely about PR rather than a genuine attempt at making things better for the people they are claiming to be thinking of.
Real, meaningful practical actions are hard and require thought and effort hence Twitch taking the easy route to score some quick brownie points. It’s nice to see that this dumbshittery appears to be backfiring. I’m seeing way more criticism than credit.

No I don’t care and I wonder why you do.

You said that no one wanted this, but in the op(which I mistakenly thought was you) there are clearly people who asked for it. So it’s not no one.

But what’s the problem? Why do you care? Is it because some people “complained” and they got what they wanted? That a company got some cheap pr points?

so what?

You can find people saying the change is stupid? And. Why is that more valid then the people asking for the change?

Yes you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't be in this thread nitpicking people who think that removing a term that no one thinks is offensive is an idiotic thing to do.

Also I have to call on your bullshit in your previous post about supposedly believing that blind people are not a monolith. You have a situation where there was no significant call to remove a particular term with a handful of people on Twitter supporting it afterwards and the vast majority of people commenting on this situation being opposed to it/being stunned at the stupidity of this decision.

If blind people are not a monolith, then why are you fine with a company making a decision that affects them all, based on the whims of a few? If you truly believe that blind people are not a monolith, then you will be pissed at this decision for making one on their behalf.

Here's a a better solution. How about the people who have no problems with the term "Blind Playthrough" can use it as they like, and those who don't like the term can simply choose to not use it? That would actually be respectful of everyone. That would be treating blind people not as a monolith, but as individual human beings with their own thoughts, beliefs and opinions.

I think it's more likely that you agree with the change, and this line of argumentation you've taken here is a disingenuous attempt to get people to stop disagreeing with it.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
As always...
iENhs3p.png

Wish people would stop doing things on behalf of others without even asking them first. Just another example of Twitch appearing to do something 'productive' with their site and leaving the rest of the glaring issues out in the open. I enjoy Twitch, it's a shame the way the site is heading lately. They have no competition, and it sucks. YouTube needs to get their shit together with their Gaming streams, so hard to navigate still.

I feel for the guy in the tweet and I think his whole Able Gamers thing is a good cause/ movement or whatever but this just more PC gone mad stupidity if you ask me.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Can't people see that we're in 20/20 and to at least have some foresight and show respect? Be aware and keep your eyes open and stop being blind to those less fortunate.

You can all be so intolerant. Someone really needs to keep an eye on you people.

Yes you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't be in this thread nitpicking people who think that removing a term that no one thinks is offensive is an idiotic thing to do.
No I don't care to read twitter posts from other people which is what the poster was talking about.
Also I have to call on your bullshit in your previous post about supposedly believing that blind people are not a monolith. You have a situation where there was no significant call to remove a particular term with a handful of people on Twitter supporting it afterwards and the vast majority of people commenting on this situation being opposed to it/being stunned at the stupidity of this decision.
Not really bullshit. You're metric for not thinking there was no significant call for it is also misleading as your not mentioning if the calls where through other channels or simply in-private. It's not really bullshit to understand maybe this bothered a small, medium, or large group of people and the other portion probably did'nt care or thought it was stupid. Mentioning not a monolith only means I understand that not everyone in this group thinks the same way, thats it.

If blind people are not a monolith, then why are you fine with a company making a decision that affects them all, based on the whims of a few? If you truly believe that blind people are not a monolith, then you will be pissed at this decision for making one on their behalf.
I mean this dosen't really make any sense. Just because I don't think people are a monolith dosen't mean I can't side with the minority or think this supposed minority is correct.

And if we are being honest, I don't see people complaining about it because they think it's not actually helpful. I see people complaining about it because it's another "people are being woke, fuck your feelings snowflake angle". Which is what I pretty much believe this thread is actually about.

"Here's a a better solution. How about the people who have no problems with the term "Blind Playthrough" can use it as they like, and those who don't like the term can simply choose to not use it? That would actually be respectful of everyone. That would be treating blind people not as a monolith, but as individual human beings with their own thoughts, beliefs and opinions."

Ok Well I'll just use the n word and also call people faggots because well they aren't bad to me. People who have problems with those words can just not use them.

How about the solution is you just don't care about a stupid changing of a term that does not effect you? What are you upset about that instead of tagging something as "blind" you now have to tag it with another synonym? I don't know how many people were disrespected by the term, but are you so disrespected that you can't use it? I doubt it. I figure you are just mad because it's another pointless victory in some lame culture war you want to fight.

"I think it's more likely that you agree with the change, and this line of argumentation you've taken here is a disingenuous attempt to get people to stop disagreeing with it."

I don't care about the change one way or the other. I don't use twitch. I'm not disabled. It dosen't offend me. I don't care. What I think is lame is getting bent out of shape and crying about sjws when it comes to stupid whatever things.

Umbral

People should labels their blind playthroughs as Figuratively Visually Impaired playthroughs just to piss them off.

BigBooper

It's a perfectly valid response for a reasonable person to be repulsed by the manipulation of society by the disingenuous or idiotic.

Are you an alien life form or something, disconnected from human's mortal coil?

Top Bottom