• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal | Official Teaser | Peacock Original

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the-wire-jimmy-mcnulty-so-so-opkl6vw6tpywa0su.gif

plip.plop

I can see why they made it a tv show. The protagonist will race across meeting characters from the game before they join the tournament, the character will make it, and Calypso will grant the wish monkey paw style but be forced to work for Calypso in the next season as the antagonist. Rinse and repeat each subsequent season. I bet the twist will be that Sweet Tooth won it previously and became the antagonist.

Fbh

A GOOD/GREAT game would be dandy. That last one really missed the mark in SO many ways IMO. It was so disappointing. :(

I didn't hate the Ps3 game.
But they fucked up big time with the broken multiplayer, it was sad seeing the community slowly fade away as the issues persisted and everyone started to loose interest and move on.

You can't release a $60 game in a niche genre with 2 hours worth of single player content and a nearly unplayable online multiplayer.

I don't think they can milk this more than a season or two, how long can you milk "guy drives car cross country?"

It's TV. If it's successful they'll always find a way to milk it.
But either way I don't see this doing well.

MiguelItUp

I didn't hate the Ps3 game.
But they fucked up big time with the broken multiplayer, it was sad seeing the community slowly fade away as the issues persisted and everyone started to loose interest and move on.

You can't release a $60 game in a niche genre with 2 hours worth of single player content and a nearly unplayable online multiplayer.
I respect that, I wish I enjoyed it more, personally. I wasn't a fan of the whole picking different vehicles thing. Especially since Twisted Metal started with specific drivers + specific cars. I'm all for evolution, but I feel like it could've been done differently, and better.

Yeah, that was the MOST disappointing thing for me was the multiplayer. The network code was AWFUL. I remember when I first played it I thought something was wrong with my internet. But then I checked other games and they were just fine. It was THAT bad. I remember insane rubber banding and lag.

Totally agree.

Reactions: Fbh
"Is this a out of season April fools joke?"

That was TRASH.... Where's all the insanity? The rock & roll? The Calypso giving twisted wishes to the winners of the championship? The mixture of post apocalyptical future and mystic powers?

Where the fuck are the Rob Zombie songs??????????

mdkirby

I find everything about this show to be strange.

The concept for a tv show based on a game like twisted metal is erm not the most natural of fits.

It’s a long dormant IP that’s not had a release since ps2 days so far as I can recall.

Then releasing it on peacock of all places.

It’s all just bizarre

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm going to reserve myself on this one. Was not thrilled with the beginning of the teaser but that brief Sweet Tooth shot at the end got me thinking this may have something to it. I'm gonna need to see a legit trailer first.

splattered

Man I love the series growing up... I think I even played it on the PSP a lot? But that teaser looks like absolute trash I mean come on guys it looks even worse than Halo

Varteras

Gold Member
Man I love the series growing up... I think I even played it on the PSP a lot? But that teaser looks like absolute trash I mean come on guys it looks even worse than Halo

Current difference is that the Halo show was still trash even when we actually got to see it. This just looks bad after a teaser.

Varteras

Gold Member
Why is this even a thing? Next thing you know they're going to make a film about Frogger or so.

Sony wants to leverage as many of their IP as they can to go beyond gaming. Entertainment is their biggest growth vector as a company, and I'm pretty sure they said during their investment call that the company is transforming even more into one of entertainment.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Sony wants to leverage as many of their IP as they can to go beyond gaming. Entertainment is their biggest growth vector as a company, and I'm pretty sure they said during their investment call that the company is transforming even more into one of entertainment.
I can understand it as a strategy. I can't understand the choice of IP here, that's the thing.

Varteras

Gold Member
I can understand it as a strategy. I can't understand the choice of IP here, that's the thing.

They were looking to expand their live service offerings in games. I have a feeling that once Sony decided to try and resurrect Twisted Metal as a live service game they thought tying that in with a show would boost both.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
We're going to be getting a lot more video game movies and shows, thanks to Mario Bros. and The Last of Us.
We're going to get shit we didn't or wouldn't even ask for, too. It's coming.

With that said, let's get a Live action Kabuki Quantum Fighter going with a mega budget, cause fuck money.

Kuranghi

I was expecting some Mad Max Fury Road like shit when it was announced but I don't think this is it.

That would actually be impressive and exciting, this will be a bunch of poor CGI and compositing vs. Fury Road's amazing real footage intelligently composited in a way that you would never notice unless you're a film maker.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've never been more dumbfounded in recent times than when I saw that, it was like my mind couldn't accept what I was seeing, that someone would have approved that for release as a "professional" piece of work :LOL:
right. I was super baked while watching it the theater and the whole movie was so surreal.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Tommi84

The clown at the end had better acting than Mackie.

I'd watch this if I know Mackie dies within the first 2minutes.

Unknown?

I respect that, I wish I enjoyed it more, personally. I wasn't a fan of the whole picking different vehicles thing. Especially since Twisted Metal started with specific drivers + specific cars. I'm all for evolution, but I feel like it could've been done differently, and better.

Yeah, that was the MOST disappointing thing for me was the multiplayer. The network code was AWFUL. I remember when I first played it I thought something was wrong with my internet. But then I checked other games and they were just fine. It was THAT bad. I remember insane rubber banding and lag.

Totally agree.
I don't see why choosing your car was bad, especially when you get to pick three. The story was botched and way too short though, I agree.

The gameplay was the best of the series though. It makes Black feel clunky.

ElRenoRaven

OOF. As a long time Twisted Metal fan who has loved every game this isn't giving me any faith it's gonna be good. I'll still give it a chance though. Maybe it will surprise me.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I know it's not his fault, but I can't look at Anthony Mackie without getting remembered by the stupidest ever "yOu NeEd tO bE bEtTeR" monologue at the end of Falcon & Winter Soldier, and I immediately think less of all the characters he portrays. I just can't, sorry..

xrnzaaas

Looks terrible and the casting for the lead (?) is bad as well. Mackie isn't an actor I'd pick for a comedy role.

Top Bottom