• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

gun_haver

Ah shit so I'm still in the "good parts". I've never seen Twin Peaks and I'm wanting to finally watch all of it now that it's completed. I'm on Season 2 Episode 4 and thought it was great so far considering how much flak I heard season 2 got. But turns out I just haven't gotten into the crap yet, I really hope season 3 is worth it.

Season 3 being worth it really depends on your taste. Just keep in mind it is EXTREMELY different. This is both a good and bad thing for me, some people love it.

I think that first stretch of season 2 that you're in now is the best part of the original show. S1 is good but S2 mixes in more darkness and just has a lot of really good high points. The bad part of S2 is really exactly as that guide says, and the finale of S2 is the best episode of the entire thing full-stop.

gun_haver

Season 3 is about 500x better the the original show and I loved the original show.

yeah, for a certain type of taste this is definitely true. the original show is kind of a lot of things at once so there's always stuff that might not appeal to you in any given episode, where the new season has a much more defined tone throughout.

Zutrax

Season 3 being worth it really depends on your taste. Just keep in mind it is EXTREMELY different. This is both a good and bad thing for me, some people love it.

I think that first stretch of season 2 that you're in now is the best part of the original show. S1 is good but S2 mixes in more darkness and just has a lot of really good high points. The bad part of S2 is really exactly as that guide says, and the finale of S2 is the best episode of the entire thing full-stop.

How different are we talking? I enjoy things that try and be weird and unique, but I also do really like the Twin Peaks feel and style. My favorite things about Twin Peaks are both how weird and nonsensical it can be while playing itself straight, and how rote and pointless a lot of scenes are (like spending a good minute fixing a chair for no real reason). Shit like that makes this show stand out so much.

I'm not sure what I'd even expect from a season three, 25 years later with new filming techniques and aged actors. I just hope it still feels "Twin Peaks".

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
How different are we talking? I enjoy things that try and be weird and unique, but I also do really like the Twin Peaks feel and style. My favorite things about Twin Peaks are both how weird and nonsensical it can be while playing itself straight, and how rote and pointless a lot of scenes are (like spending a good minute fixing a chair for no real reason). Shit like that makes this show stand out so much.

I'm not sure what I'd even expect from a season three, 25 years later with new filming techniques and aged actors. I just hope it still feels "Twin Peaks".
It feels nothing like the original show. However, something of the spirit is still there. The things you listed as being your favourite aspects of the show are out in force.
The main difference is that the supernatural elements play a much more prominent role in driving the plot forward, and the show plays less as a soap opera and more as a surreal crime procedural crossed with an absurdist comedy.

It feels nothing like the original show. However, something of the spirit is still there. The things you listed as being your favourite aspects of the show are out in force.
The main difference is that the supernatural elements play a much more prominent role in driving the plot forward, and the show plays less as a soap opera and more as a surreal crime procedural crossed with an absurdist comedy.

The pacing is also way slower, but I think this benefits the arch of the plot.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The only thing a fourth season could be is Dale Cooper learning to leave Laura Palmer behind and escape the loop. It would be nothing like any previous Twin Peaks thing and much more like a really out there Lynch film.

I think Lynch is one of the last director's I'd ever take something at face value for, so I don't think Twin Peaks Season 4 "only could be" anything.

Boem

To add to what the others are saying: just in case you weren't aware, make sure you watch the movie 'Fire Walk With Me' after season 2 and before season 3. Tonally it's very different to what came before and what came after (it's almost like a transitional movie between those two versions of the show), and many people don't quite enjoy it on their first viewing because of the jump in style (although often people enjoy it more when they go back to it, and some people love it on first viewing, so who knows).

But for plot reasons I won't disclose here, Fire Walk With Me is essential to understanding a lot of stuff in season 3. So if you start watching it and it's not quite clicking - don't worry about it. At worst, see it as a last piece of homework before you get to the true masterpiece. I think it's safe to skip the season 2 episodes in that picture, but you can't miss the movie.

And hey, maybe you'll love it anyway. I know a lot of people who genuinely see it as one of their favorite parts of Peaks. Took me a couple of years personally, but there's a lot in it I enjoy at this point. But it can be a bit of a challenging movie at times.

Zutrax

To add to what the others are saying: just in case you weren't aware, make sure you watch the movie 'Fire Walk With Me' after season 2 and before season 3. Tonally it's very different to what came before and what came after (it's almost like a transitional movie between those two versions of the show), and many people don't quite enjoy it on their first viewing because of the jump in style (although often people enjoy it more when they go back to it, and some people love it on first viewing, so who knows).

But for plot reasons I won't disclose here, Fire Walk With Me is essential to understanding a lot of stuff in season 3. So if you start watching it and it's not quite clicking - don't worry about it. At worst, see it as a last piece of homework before you get to the true masterpiece. I think it's safe to skip the season 2 episodes in that picture, but you can't miss the movie.

And hey, maybe you'll love it anyway. I know a lot of people who genuinely see it as one of their favorite parts of Peaks. Took me a couple of years personally, but there's a lot in it I enjoy at this point. But it can be a bit of a challenging movie at times.

I was aware of Fire Walk With Me as well as the controversial opinions about it within the fanbase as well. The way I see it is even if I don't enjoy the film, it's still just a movie and not an entire season so at worst it's couple hours to bridge the gap to something greater. Getting that far and letting a two hour film stop me would be kind of pointless in the grand scheme, My entire mindset with this show in the first place is that the ride will be strange, unique, and worth seeing even if it's slow and unsatisfying at some points.

Boem

I was aware of Fire Walk With Me as well as the controversial opinions about it within the fanbase as well. The way I see it is even if I don't enjoy the film, it's still just a movie and not an entire season so at worst it's couple hours to bridge the gap to something greater. Getting that far and letting a two hour film stop me would be kind of pointless in the grand scheme, My entire mindset with this show in the first place is that the ride will be strange, unique, and worth seeing even if it's slow and unsatisfying at some points.

That's a very good way to approach it. Just let it wash all over you, especially in the third season.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think Lynch is one of the last director's I'd ever take something at face value for, so I don't think Twin Peaks Season 4 "only could be" anything.
Fair call, Twin Peaks S3 being completely unlike anything the was predicted, and completely unpredictable for its duration, is a testament to how unique Lynch's artistry is and how true he is to himself. But I can't see many ways for Twin Peaks as it was to continue after that ending. It's really a point of no return.

Fair call, Twin Peaks S3 being completely unlike anything the was predicted, and completely unpredictable for its duration, is a testament to how unique Lynch's artistry is and how true he is to himself. But I can't see many ways for Twin Peaks as it was to continue after that ending. It's really a point of no return.

I think the possibilities are far more open than they were after the season 2 finale. We are dealing with altered timelines now. They could go anyway they want with that.

Of course that might be exactly why they shouldn't make anymore.

Cover art is fantastic.

DJs4u2tVAAAweuE.jpg

screenshot_20170625-2h0s43.png

This is what I came here to post though. Was scrolling through my photos and saw this screen grab taken from when Part 8 was airing. Reading those pages of people here freaking the fuck out after finishing watching it myself is probably my favorite memory of Twin Peaks GAF.

Menome

I don't know what else they can tackle thematically with another season.

I'd say there's some loose threads hanging in Twin Peaks itself. I said previously I'd be happy with Bobby Briggs taking a lead investigative role, and stand by it, especially if Cooper is trapped elsewhere again.

Wabba

Just watched the ending, can anybody give me a link with some great theories? :)

What happend with Sarah and why don't we get any conclusion to who the bug lady is?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say there's some loose threads hanging in Twin Peaks itself. I said previously I'd be happy with Bobby Briggs taking a lead investigative role, and stand by it, especially if Cooper is trapped elsewhere again.
It would need to somehow make its way back to Cooper and Laura. They are the soul of the series. I'm not interested in a Twin Peaks that's only about the supporting cast, and I suspect, neither is Lynch.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It would need to somehow make its way back to Cooper and Laura. They are the soul of the series. I'm not interested in a Twin Peaks that's only about the supporting cast, and I suspect, neither is Lynch.
Yeah, there would need to be a compelling core theme for season 4 to exist. Only Lynch and Frost can figure that out in the end.

Top Bottom