• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to play old Ratchet & Clank games really does show you how poor PS Now & BC on Playstation can be...

hemo memo

Gold Member
You want to be surprised? Play Jak&Daxter collection on Vita. They didn’t even bother to remove the “controller vibration” option on the settings. I mean if that’s not the definition of lazy I don’t what is.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You want to be surprised? Play Jak&Daxter collection on Vita. They didn’t even bother to remove the “controller vibration” option on the settings. I mean if that’s not the definition of lazy I don’t what is.
Why would they, they're direct ports.

Don't be this dense.

Agent X

I haven't played this collection on Vita, but is it possible that they left this option in for the benefit of those who are playing on PlayStation TV? The PSTV can use a DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 controller, meaning that controller vibration might actually be a usable function.

LordCBH

Pretty sure they never made TOD available on the ps store, which is why it isn’t on now. It’s really dumb.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I agree don’t you wish to play any PlayStation game on ONE system? No, they’re supposed to play on their supported system.

wvnative

For the record, Tools of Destruction had a weird install bug that was never patched where it would say you were out of HDD space even when you weren't, you'd either have to add or subtract that amount of data from your PS3 HDD, I would just go download a demo off PSN. Since the game is so old now and Insomniac has probably 10+ Engine iterations since Tools, it's possible the game cannot technically be added to PS now servers due to this bug.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Update:

So I tried PS Now playing Quest For Booty.

I game on an LG CX and wired 150mb internet.

What the fuck is this muddy looking, low res, screen tearing, fuzzy bullshit?

The stream quality is fucking APPALLING.

My eyes! My beautiful eyes!

Freaking Out Season 1 GIF by Rick and Morty

PS Now is the absolute drizzling shits.

Agent X

FunkMiller FunkMiller , that's a shame to hear. Do you have this problem with other games on PS Now?

For what it's worth, I played through Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS Now, mostly through my PC with Wi-Fi, and it was extremely playable.

One thing to keep in mind is that all of the R&C games that are currently on PS Now are PS3 games. Most of these will run at or around 720p resolution, regardless of the display that your PS4/PS5 or PC is using.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
FunkMiller FunkMiller , that's a shame to hear. Do you have this problem with other games on PS Now?

For what it's worth, I played through Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS Now, mostly through my PC with Wi-Fi, and it was extremely playable.

One thing to keep in mind is that all of the R&C games that are currently on PS Now are PS3 games. Most of these will run at or around 720p resolution, regardless of the display that your PS4/PS5 or PC is using.

It looks sub 720p to me. Just horrible, fuzzy, blurred nastiness. And the screen tearing is pretty unforgivable. I’ve got no detectable lag, but to stream a game in this quality is just insane.

A Crack In Time doesn’t look much better - if at all.

….best get on EBay, I suppose.

This is so poor from Sony I’m actually surprised.

edit: tried a couple of PS4 games and they’re okay.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand why backwards compatibility isn’t something that can be added on to current consoles. Would it really have been that difficult to make a little card slot on the PS5 where you could add a board that had a PS3 CPU/GPU and maybe a PS2 CPU/GPU so that all your games ran on PS5? Everyone talks about how hard emulation is, so why not just make the processors an add on for those that want it. When the PS3 came out and it had the PS2 hardware in it and that was awesome, but the hardware was removed because it was adding too much expense for a feature that wasn't universally used. So why not make the hardware available as an upgrade. I know it’s too late now, but this would have been easy to integrate when initially designing the PS5.

Unfortunately, the best option right now is to get a PS3. At least with a PS5 and PS3 combo you have access to PS5, PS4, PS3 and PS1 software as well as most of the best PS2 games through ports/compilations.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It looks sub 720p to me. Just horrible, fuzzy, blurred nastiness. And the screen tearing is pretty unforgivable. I’ve got no detectable lag, but to stream a game in this quality is just insane.

A Crack In Time doesn’t look much better - if at all.

….best get on EBay, I suppose.

This is so poor from Sony I’m actually surprised.

edit: tried a couple of PS4 games and they’re okay.

Can you snap a picture of the screen while playing, of when its looking really crappy, I want to try PSNow but I'll just hook up the PS3 instead if its that bad. No worries if you don't have time though.

Holammer

Really? Last time I checked, most of these games had a lot of bugs and other problems even if they were kind of playable. Didn't seem like a good experience at all.
The compatibility list on the PCSX2 site got all the games listed as playable since 2015.
I'll give it a test, FOR SCIENCE! But I'm only getting 5MB/sec.

Last edited:

Holammer

Oh, I meant the PS3 games. Those can't be emulated well it seems.
Fair enough, I could imagine that the PS3 R&C Trilogy fixes some of the ancient standard controls and is a better way to experience the first three games too.

Anyway, first Ratchet and Clank on PCSX2 worked wonderfully. Even injected ReShade and this is as far as I remember playing R&C back in the days. I might actually continue, get prepared for the Ripped a Fart PC port.

PGTMoEa.jpg

Shivvy24

Agree with op, I had my cousin dust out his ps3 for me just to play the remastered Jak and Daxter games. Their approach to back compat has been piss poor.

KAL2006

Banned
It's a shame but I think for Sony they have data that backwards compatibility doesn't make them enough money to be worth it. I'm assuming their PS2 Classics line didn't sell too well on both PS3 and PS4. And I don't think they give a fuck to let you play games you already own as I think they reckon PS5 will still sell and the additional people who would have bought a PS5 who wouldn't is so low. I think they would rather just release remasters and remakes and charge again.

SpokkX

Great, let me tell you my experience. I've completed TLoU, UC1, UC2 and currently playing through UC3. All through streaming. All playable. This is over the last 6 months.
”Playable”

yes - barely

psnow streaming is well.. shit… playable shit sure

ur title doesn't match the post.

i thought it was going to be a post about how terrible PS Now can run.

I tried recently to play the pirate one. With a wired connection. and it still wasn't great. PS Now can be better than GamePass if they improved the streaming connection. And made it so u could download the PS3 games

TLZ

Banned
PS3 version of The Last of us is on the service instead of the remastered version that's enough to tell you how much Sony cares about this

a shame cause Sony has many great games from PS1-2-3 they could add and makes it more appealing
It would make it super appealing. Pfffft Sony.

//DEVIL//

Missing the point.

What is the point you want him to make? PS now sucks and the Game pass is amazing? we all know that. even the OP knows that. my dead geat grandfather probably knows that as well.

the user was trying to help the OP with an alternative lol.

To be honest, Sony is shit as a company is nothing new since that House or whatever his name left the company ( the guy who made a deal with Kojima few days after he left Konami Andrew something maybe ) )

Shawn wasn't as good and Jimbo must be fired. I honestly do not hate people but fuck I hate this guy :/

Their PlayStation network is the same shit since the PS4. nothing changed. just less focus on indie and pissing them off, censoring games because the company now run by SJW sluts, horrible customer experience and refund policy { to the point they even removed a big game just because they don't want to refund people).

The list really goes on of how horrible the management is at Sony right now. and on top of that. let's fuck the Playstation loyal customers by releasing our IPs on PC ( don't start about old ports and business-wise makes sense etc. when you piss off your hardcore fans is way worse ).

EDMIX

I mean, come on, I don't want to piss over PS Now and Sony's approach to their old games, but it really is dog shit.

You can play Quest For Booty and A Crack In Time on PS Now, but not Tools Of Destruction? Parts two and three of a trilogy, but not part one?

And no way to play the older games at all. None. Nowhere. Unless you have the old console lying around (which I don't).

Come the fuck on Sony, pull your finger out on this one now. It's getting ridiculous.

Edit: update - PS Now is the drizzling shits.

Not sure what you mean, I can play most of the series on PS3 so......yea. You have a solution for those old games, PS3's still exist. An entire collection released on it.

Find a good HEN PS3 and you're good my friend.

Nah, that makes too much sense and gets right to the point.

Why fuck around with PS Now. Just pick up a 2nd hand PS3.

^^^

Keeping my PS3's was a sound choice. I have no fucking reason to sell them, put them away etc. So many games never got ports, remasters etc so I keep it around for old gems. I literally bought a good friend of mine a used PS3 for like $50 so they could play the Persona series. That was years ago and they ended up playing Persona 5 on PS4, but regardless, they are not out here begging as if they have zero options or something. They wanted to play it for years and I legit told them to stop waiting and just play the series, it could be a long ass time til it actually gets fully ported, remastered, remade etc. I'm sure Sega will btw, simply that when I did this for them, it was 2014 and here we are still waiting for that whole series to be ported....so I'm sure they are happy they didn't continue to wait.

My advice, bite the bullet and have fun. I see no reason to not play a series because of this shit when the solution is very, very simple. The fucking person isn't even asking for a remake, they are literally asking for BC, as in the exact same game.....well......you can get the exact same game, buy just buying the damn hardware and moving on with life lol

So I'd argue what is more ridiculous is knowing a solution to a problem, yet crying to a company to solve it for you.

sol_bad

Fair enough, I could imagine that the PS3 R&C Trilogy fixes some of the ancient standard controls and is a better way to experience the first three games too.

Anyway, first Ratchet and Clank on PCSX2 worked wonderfully. Even injected ReShade and this is as far as I remember playing R&C back in the days. I might actually continue, get prepared for the Ripped a Fart PC port.

PGTMoEa.jpg

Can PCSX2 run games from disc? Or is there a way to rip games to desktop.
My laptop doesn't even have disc drive.
*SIGH*

Eh. I really can't be arsed to spend the time looking for one on eBay. Don't need the fucker cluttering up my flat, either. And the Ratchet & Clank Collection on Ps3 is ridiculously expensive - largely because of this very thing.

What I just don't get is that there is a potentially much stronger revenue stream here for Sony, that they aren't leveraging properly. Shit... at least get the Ratchet games up on PS Now to generate income off all the idiots like me who want to go back and play the older games, having enjoyed Rift Apart.
Lots of legacy titles that can be leveraged by Sony but they're too stupid and/or slow to tap into that potential market.
Look at Nintendo. They're enjoying huge success by keeping legacy titles alive.

EDMIX

Lots of legacy titles that can be leveraged by Sony but they're too stupid and/or slow to tap into that potential market.
Look at Nintendo. They're enjoying huge success by keeping legacy titles alive.

This. I feel a purchase of Bluepoint would be to solidify that need.

I feel those titles should have been remastered in a collection long ago on PS4 as the Ratchet Series is wildly successful.

Maybe we get some beefy master collection with all the titles from Bluepoint on PS5. Who knows.

In Sony's defense, they have remade several titles and made many collections, simply that a great port team is hard to come by, Bluepoint can port all those games themselves lol So Sony might want to buy the team, grow the team and make a plan to remaster those older legacy titles and remake certain key titles etc.

You remake SoTc, yet get heat for not remaking Demon Souls, you remake Demon Souls, you get heat for not remaking Ico, remake Ico and folks ask "wow, so Sony just hates Killzone huh" lol Its hard to keep up with lots of that shit, even for Nintendo.

Where is that Kirby collection with all titles? Where is Kirby's Air ride lol Shit where is Viewtiful Joe collection by Capcom, or Onimusha collection? Even publishers we know get port horny and love doing that shit, still have loads of games that they haven't ported or remastered yet. So I say its very hard to really have that on lock for all legacy titles and maybe the reason it hasn't happened yet is more logical then to say they are "too stupid" as to my understanding, just a while ago folks where arguing that Sony is remastering or remaking too much.

Right when they port Ratchet, someone will ask "where Is the Getaway remake doe"

That someone will be me lol

I feel those titles should have been remastered in a collection long ago on PS4 as the Ratchet Series is wildly successful.

Maybe we get some beefy master collection with all the titles from Bluepoint on PS5. Who knows.

In Sony's defense, they have remade several titles and made many collections, simply that a great port team is hard to come by, Bluepoint can port all those games themselves lol So Sony might want to buy the team, grow the team and make a plan to remaster those older legacy titles and remake certain key titles etc.

You remake SoTc, yet get heat for not remaking Demon Souls, you remake Demon Souls, you get heat for not remaking Ico, remake Ico and folks ask "wow, so Sony just hates Killzone huh" lol Its hard to keep up with lots of that shit, even for Nintendo.

Where is that Kirby collection with all titles? Where is Kirby's Air ride lol Shit where is Viewtiful Joe collection by Capcom, or Onimusha collection? Even publishers we know get port horny and love doing that shit, still have loads of games that they haven't ported or remastered yet. So I say its very hard to really have that on lock for all legacy titles and maybe the reason it hasn't happened yet is more logical then to say they are "too stupid" as to my understanding, just a while ago folks where arguing that Sony is remastering or remaking too much.

Right when they port Ratchet, someone will ask "where Is the Getaway remake doe"

I enjoyed reading your post and pretty much agree with all of it and then I just lost it at the bolded. Be still my fucking beating heart. A Getaway remake would send me overboard. I want a remake of that fucking game so much it hurts.

You'd have to book me in for a night at the Arkham Asylum if they announce it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I enjoyed reading your post and pretty much agree with all of it and then I just lost it at the bolded. Be still my fucking beating heart. A Getaway remake would send me overboard. I want a remake of that fucking game so much it hurts.

You'd have to book me in for a night at the Arkham Asylum if they announce it.

Facts. This is a series that if remade, rebooted etc, would need so much care and attention as it did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong and is in great need of a make over. We don't have much open world titles set in the UK and with Sony loving green lighting open world games, i'm generally surprised a Getaway remake, reboot etc wasn't already in the works. We wouldn't even need the exact team as so much time has passed, its now irrelevant to make a successful reboot.

One day.

RobRSG

I am here to say three things:

1. It really sucks that the “BC” on PS5 depends on a subscription, and many fan favorite games are not in.

2. It really sucks that the BC in Xbox cover many games but many fan favorites are not in (namely shmups). Also the BC for Radiant Silvergun runs with an additional frame of lag.

3. Ended up buying a cheap PS3 Super Slim (which I hacked within minutes) and a cheap Xbox 360 RGH. Problem solved.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

It’s weird because FTOD is by far the best out of the three.
Eh, I can not call that guv. Tools was WAAAAY too easy. I needed Challenge Mode for the game to provide some semblance of a challenge. Enemy design (especially the Cragmites that they were hyping up for the entire game) was largely underwhelming, weapons were not as fun to use as they were in the earlier games (especially the RYNO, Huge exceptions for Zurkon and the Groovitron, though), and the story ended on a cliffhanger. The writing was still solid although the game was not a risqué as it's predecessors.

I enjoyed it at the time but Commando and UYA blew it out of the water. A Crack in Time was also well ahead of it in all areas. I would not even consider Quest for Booty one of "the three." That was a straight DLC caliber game. Insomniac even said as much and I think it was only $15. Into the Nexus was the third as a far as I am concerned and it beat Tools in everything but content/length (it was also only $40).
All it shows is that Sony do not care about long term preservation. Maybe it costs too much ?

But then, if it costs too much to preserve a legacy they've been building for decades, does it mean they don't value their legacy?

That's the difference between them and the competition when you look at it this way.

Playing on PlayStation is a two edged decision. You get to be on the platform that has the most game, all the newer first party output. But then, you also are on the platform that does support the very minimum backward compatibility. Each new gen from Sony is a goodbye to the last and most of it's services go offline prematurely.
Zh3N7vl.gif

Sony has released only one console since the PS1 that was not backwards compatible. And that is native backwards compatibility, not downloading a new version which requires internet and even then only a limited number of titles from Console X's library. The PS2 could play all PS1 games natively. Every PS3 could play all PS1 games natively with improvements. Every PS5 can play PS4 games natively. Even the Vita could run any downloaded PSP game. The only console they released that was not BC was the PS4 and it made more money than the rest of them combined. If anything Sony should not care about it, the market clearly did not, fully BC PS3 models proved that.
What are you talking about? I keep asking: Where do these narratives come from???

Holammer

Can PCSX2 run games from disc? Or is there a way to rip games to desktop.
My laptop doesn't even have disc drive.
*SIGH*

In many emulators you can run games straight from disc and that's PCSX2 included, but it's better to rip an ISO and play that way. Less horrible horrible noise.
That's a lot of work that's already been done, just procure the "roms" via alternative means.

200.gif

Ceadeus

Gold Member
YSony has released only one console since the PS1 that was not backwards compatible. And that is native backwards compatibility, not downloading a new version which requires internet and even then only a limited number of titles from Console X's library. The PS2 could play all PS1 games natively. Every PS3 could play all PS1 games natively with improvements. Every PS5 can play PS4 games natively. Even the Vita could run any downloaded PSP game. The only console they released that was not BC was the PS4 and it made more money than the rest of them combined. If anything Sony should not care about it, the market clearly did not, fully BC PS3 models proved that.
What are you talking about? I keep asking: Where do these narratives come from???
Yeah they did it for PS2 but then partially on PS3. Every PS3 model should have had the feature at this premium price, no excuse.

PS4 made money yes, it's not what I'm talking about either. I'm talking about Sony not caring about their legacy. They'll sell a mini PlayStation with an handful of games but they ''can't'' or don't want to figure out how to implement the ability to insert previous PS CD into the Ps4. PS5 is backward compatible for the previous gen only. The Vita is a great machine but then again, Sony were about to close its store completely before the catastrophic backlash.

That's not even counting the gigantic list of game servers shutted down over the past decade. No wonder why their first party mostly don't feature multiplayer. They know they would eventually kill it prematurely.

TheGrat1

Yeah they did it for PS2 but then partially on PS3. Every PS3 model should have had the feature at this premium price, no excuse.

PS4 made money yes, it's not what I'm talking about either. I'm talking about Sony not caring about their legacy. They'll sell a mini PlayStation with an handful of games but they ''can't'' or don't want to figure out how to implement the ability to insert previous PS CD into the Ps4. PS5 is backward compatible for the previous gen only. The Vita is a great machine but then again, Sony were about to close its store completely before the catastrophic backlash.

That's not even counting the gigantic list of game servers shutted down over the past decade. No wonder why their first party mostly don't feature multiplayer. They know they would eventually kill it prematurely.
8q4R9F.gif

Predator: Hunting Grounds
Ghost of Tsushima
MLB The Show 21
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Destruction All-Stars
Demon's Souls

6 games released in the last 15 months. All have multiplayer. They have released 11 games total in that timeframe. If a game does not have multiplayer it is probably because they did not want to put it in (or in TLOUII's cases, it was not ready in time), as clearly they have no issue releasing multiplayer games. Reality>Narratives

It would be great if they released software emulation for the PS1 and PS2 for all of their consoles. I can understand why they do not bother though: The market does not respond to it. That does not mean they do not care about their legacy, simply that they would rather focus resources elsewhere. PS4 and Switch have proved that robust BC does not sell a significant amount of units. Keeping full PS2 BC in the PS3 would have been a disaster and utterly irresponsible on their part.

ksdixon

This is all well and good, Nixxes and BP take the strain off the Sony game devs in terms of PC ports and Remasters...

But even then Sony's strategy could just as easily be maligned because it's not Backwards Compatability, or providing those Remaster upgrades (frame rate, visuals etc.) for free like MS does.

So Sony is always in a tough position, PR wise. Which is exactly why Jim Ryan's fuck-ups don't help them at all. People don't like to feel like they have been mislead, lied-to, or are being fleeced for cash.

leo-j

You guys understand that the majority reason as to why ps5 doesn’t have ps3 BC is more than likely because of the cell processor and how crazy optimized ps3 games were to the ps3. They also needed a whole ass ps2 inside the original ps3 to run ps2 games because of similar reasons. BC for ps3 physical games would probably be a major chore for Sony. That and people would rather play PS4 remasters. Ps now is a good alternative since the ps3 games aren’t even running on the ps5.

EDMIX

This is all well and good, Nixxes and BP take the strain off the Sony game devs in terms of PC ports and Remasters...

But even then Sony's strategy could just as easily be maligned because it's not Backwards Compatability, or providing those Remaster upgrades (frame rate, visuals etc.) for free like MS does.

So Sony is always in a tough position, PR wise. Which is exactly why Jim Ryan's fuck-ups don't help them at all. People don't like to feel like they have been mislead, lied-to, or are being fleeced for cash.

I don't disagree with you, but the gaming community feels this way about any fucking thing. Like....anything.

Keep in mind, many of those upgrades by Sony are free, that doesn't fucking mean zero remaster will be made, it simply people crying about not getting all shit for free. Might as well argue all games must be free to play like Apex and that EA is really helping the people out.

No one is forcing anyone to buy shit, this is a "first world" issue at best by people who seem to think the world revolves around them or something lol

Literally, hear what you are saying my friend.

Providing remasters upgrades for free?

GHOST ADDED THAT PATCH FOR FREE THIS YEAR!

They fucking added an entire multiplayer mode FOR FREE last year

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/ghost-of-tsushima-will-add-co-op-multiplayer-for-free/

So they indeed did what "MS does", this is a entitled argument of "waaaaa waaaaa I want more" thats all this shit is.

You can't really argue that they didn't provide any support for free, when several modes, features and performance updates happened all for free this year and last year, only to then pretend you are the victim of something or being "lied to" or "fleeced for cash" the moment they make a remaster. I didn't hear shit like this when they were giving all that free stuff for this game, now suddenly gamers have neck braces on standing in a court room, cry me a river man lol

Let me guess, this is ok so long as they NEVER make a remaster or?

This doesn't have shit to do with anyone being robbed or scammed, its simply entitled gamers begging for free shit the movement a remaster comes out, all while ignoring the fucking free updates given to those titles. Using this logic, might as well argue all sequels should be free.

Good job! That's ingenious

is PSnow that bad?
In all these years they didn’t even bother to upgrade their stream to 1080p, and yes while most ps3 games run at 720p it is still a significant difference in overall image quality, not to mention that even with Fios I had bad lag and artifacts. I tried playing through Infamous and almost puke, it literally made me do research and do what I’ve done, now I’m enjoying a bunch of games that I couldn’t before.

ksdixon

I don't disagree with you, but the gaming community feels this way about any fucking thing. Like....anything.

Keep in mind, many of those upgrades by Sony are free, that doesn't fucking mean zero remaster will be made, it simply people crying about not getting all shit for free. Might as well argue all games must be free to play like Apex and that EA is really helping the people out.

No one is forcing anyone to buy shit, this is a "first world" issue at best by people who seem to think the world revolves around them or something lol

Literally, hear what you are saying my friend.

Providing remasters upgrades for free?

GHOST ADDED THAT PATCH FOR FREE THIS YEAR!

They fucking added an entire multiplayer mode FOR FREE last year

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/ghost-of-tsushima-will-add-co-op-multiplayer-for-free/

So they indeed did what "MS does", this is a entitled argument of "waaaaa waaaaa I want more" thats all this shit is.

You can't really argue that they didn't provide any support for free, when several modes, features and performance updates happened all for free this year and last year, only to then pretend you are the victim of something or being "lied to" or "fleeced for cash" the moment they make a remaster. I didn't hear shit like this when they were giving all that free stuff for this game, now suddenly gamers have neck braces on standing in a court room, cry me a river man lol

Let me guess, this is ok so long as they NEVER make a remaster or?

This doesn't have shit to do with anyone being robbed or scammed, its simply entitled gamers begging for free shit the movement a remaster comes out, all while ignoring the fucking free updates given to those titles. Using this logic, might as well argue all sequels should be free.

I actually don't mind Remasters as a thing. Especially not now if they do pick-up BP and the original devs don't have to "waste" for want of a better term, time and resources on Remasters and PC Ports, and they can just truck along with their next brand new blockbuster game(s) instead.

I don't mind £70 day 1 games as there's a sense of quality to Sony games. Like I'm not into mascot platformers much, but I can appreciate Rachet for what it offers it's fans or how it showcases the PS5. Plus, it's my choice to buy on day 1 or not, just as it is my choice if I want to purchase a remaster or not. I wouldn't even want Sony to throw their exclusive games onto a beefed-up PSNow/PS+ rebranded GamePass equivelant on Day 1.

My whole entire bone of contention comes from I believe Sony pursue Remasters at the direct expense of pursuing Backwards Compatability. Weather that's cutting deals with developers to re-liscense games to throw onto PSNow, throw-up for resale in the PStore, or what-have-you. We know they have a PS2 emulator that's been working since PS4 (I guess that also counts as a PS1 emulator too, since PS2 could run PS1 games). And we also know they can wrap a PSP game up in code, and have the PS4 run it as a ''PS4 game'' (see: Parappa The Rapper HD, a remaster of the PSP game). I am admittedly not sure on the development process of VITA games that got ported or remastered for PS4, like VITA's Tearaway turning into PS4's Tearaway: Unfolded. But there must be some middle-ground here that can be explored, because when I had it, I hacked my PSTV to whitlist all the PSVITA games to be played on a TV, like Uncharted Golden Abyss which was previously locked-out. I think the hardest one they'd have issues with is the PS3 games, but they need to get something sorted, because the PS3 server farms that run PS3 games on PSNow can't last forever, and the specific chips that made-up the PS3 innards are supposed to have stopped being produced now. Sony just don't seem to be opening the floodgates, they could offer so much more.

They literally can't remaster everything, so I'd also like to be given the option of repurchasing a game on modern hardware, or at least subscribing to a service to re-gain access to it (preferabley they can make everything on PSNow downloadable and not streaming-only for some of them). Offer Remasters, Ports AND Backwards Compatability.

EDMIX

My whole entire bone of contention comes from I believe Sony pursue Remasters at the direct expense of pursuing Backwards Compatability.
Its irrelevant.

PS5 is literally fucking BC to PS4 and has remasters......

PS3 was BC to PS2 and PS1, yet still had remasters of many titles, for fuck sakes PS3 literally had ports of FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX even though PS3s have native BC to PS1, that doesn't fucking mean no publisher will port a game and that all gamers own all games.

Weather that's cutting deals with developers to re-liscense games to throw onto PSNow, throw-up for resale in the PStore, or what-have-you.
I do not see any direct correlation considering both literally exist , you are arguing an either or in a situation where its not.... you are arguing about something with little to no evidence that such a thing even exist as conpiracy. Who the fuck is forcing anyone to port games?

I've seen publishers literally PORT GAMES on systems that have BC.

Bioshock, MCC, Gears Of War remasters, Borderlands collection etc all came out on many systems, even ones that literally had BC

Those developers are 100% allowed to port, remaster and remake what the fuck they feel like it, it is their IP, it is not yours, you don't fucking own the company and no...Sony, Nintendo and MS are not forcing anyone to port, remaster or do anything like that, as why the fuck would those same publishers then have remasters on XONE? Sony made a deal for them to do that too or?

We know they have a PS2 emulator that's been working since PS4 (I guess that also counts as a PS1 emulator too, since PS2 could run PS1 games). And we also know they can wrap a PSP game up in code, and have the PS4 run it as a ''PS4 game'' (see: Parappa The Rapper HD, a remaster of the PSP game). I

We also know the majority don't even give a shit about those features too... The people who care about those titles that much, also own the hardware to play it and collect versions of those titles. We also know Switch and PS4 are literally the fastest selling systems for both those companies.

Zero BC.

I think the hardest one they'd have issues with is the PS3 games, but they need to get something sorted, because the PS3 server farms that run PS3 games on PSNow can't last forever

No they don't bud.... they don't "need" to do anything. I'd argue its easier to just port, remake, remaster those titles and move on then to do shit with PS3 emulation simply to save you a few bucks. I'd argue your last point literally supports that, I mean shit PS3 server farms won't last forever right? Sounds like it makes more sense to just port those popular titles and just be done with it.

the specific chips that made-up the PS3 innards are supposed to have stopped being produced now. Sony just don't seem to be opening the floodgates, they could offer so much more.

Yea...all the reason to just port the fucking games and be done with it . They don't need to offer anything, that generation is done and you can get those games online and they can port them later on. The data simply doesn't support that the majority really care about this and I say this as a person that literally owns like 5 PS3s. If you gave a shit, you would have had the system in the first place, at this point its just begging for free shit as if the company owes you free hardware now.

They literally can't remaster everything,

They don't need to, they can remaster their own titles as they have over the generations. Other publishers will remaster key titles based on if they feel like it or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MXTDGN6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but hey, Sony must have bribed EA to make a Mass Effect remaster cause EA hates money? Thats probably why its only on PS Now and PlayStation systems /s

My guy, EA dead ass made a collection and re-released Mass Effect during the same fucking generation it came out on lol The idea of a publisher porting a game, remastering a game etc isn't some wild conspiracy, they normally do that REGARDLESS of BC. Why the fuck would EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom or anyone else fucking care that as system has BC, as if the sole reason to port the game, was to give you a way to play it? We are seeing remasters from publishers right now even with BOTH PS5 and Series X having BC, thus...your entire wild concept of anyone being paid off to do this is simply not the case.

So...I'm sorry buddy, but you don't even have 1 fucking system that has ever released that even gives you the thing you are asking for to really be out here making it sound like this demand makes any sense.

....it would be easier to just fucking buy this and be done with it. Your issue can be solved right here buddy.

Night.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
In all these years they didn’t even bother to upgrade their stream to 1080p, and yes while most ps3 games run at 720p it is still a significant difference in overall image quality, not to mention that even with Fios I had bad lag and artifacts. I tried playing through Infamous and almost puke, it literally made me do research and do what I’ve done, now I’m enjoying a bunch of games that I couldn’t before.
What is Fios by the way?

I have a friend who tried PSNow for a month. Well, she had so much lag she ended the sub asap. I'm no technician but maybe the problem comes from the console bandwidth? It can't receives as much data as it would need to makes it lag free?

Klayzer

Its irrelevant.

PS5 is literally fucking BC to PS4 and has remasters......

PS3 was BC to PS2 and PS1, yet still had remasters of many titles, for fuck sakes PS3 literally had ports of FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX even though PS3s have native BC to PS1, that doesn't fucking mean no publisher will port a game and that all gamers own all games.

I do not see any direct correlation considering both literally exist , you are arguing an either or in a situation where its not.... you are arguing about something with little to no evidence that such a thing even exist as conpiracy. Who the fuck is forcing anyone to port games?

I've seen publishers literally PORT GAMES on systems that have BC.

Bioshock, MCC, Gears Of War remasters, Borderlands collection etc all came out on many systems, even ones that literally had BC

Those developers are 100% allowed to port, remaster and remake what the fuck they feel like it, it is their IP, it is not yours, you don't fucking own the company and no...Sony, Nintendo and MS are not forcing anyone to port, remaster or do anything like that, as why the fuck would those same publishers then have remasters on XONE? Sony made a deal for them to do that too or?

We also know the majority don't even give a shit about those features too... The people who care about those titles that much, also own the hardware to play it and collect versions of those titles. We also know Switch and PS4 are literally the fastest selling systems for both those companies.

Zero BC.

No they don't bud.... they don't "need" to do anything. I'd argue its easier to just port, remake, remaster those titles and move on then to do shit with PS3 emulation simply to save you a few bucks. I'd argue your last point literally supports that, I mean shit PS3 server farms won't last forever right? Sounds like it makes more sense to just port those popular titles and just be done with it.

Yea...all the reason to just port the fucking games and be done with it . They don't need to offer anything, that generation is done and you can get those games online and they can port them later on. The data simply doesn't support that the majority really care about this and I say this as a person that literally owns like 5 PS3s. If you gave a shit, you would have had the system in the first place, at this point its just begging for free shit as if the company owes you free hardware now.

They don't need to, they can remaster their own titles as they have over the generations. Other publishers will remaster key titles based on if they feel like it or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MXTDGN6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but hey, Sony must have bribed EA to make a Mass Effect remaster cause EA hates money? Thats probably why its only on PS Now and PlayStation systems /s

My guy, EA dead ass made a collection and re-released Mass Effect during the same fucking generation it came out on lol The idea of a publisher porting a game, remastering a game etc isn't some wild conspiracy, they normally do that REGARDLESS of BC. Why the fuck would EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom or anyone else fucking care that as system has BC, as if the sole reason to port the game, was to give you a way to play it? We are seeing remasters from publishers right now even with BOTH PS5 and Series X having BC, thus...your entire wild concept of anyone being paid off to do this is simply not the case.

So...I'm sorry buddy, but you don't even have 1 fucking system that has ever released that even gives you the thing you are asking for to really be out here making it sound like this demand makes any sense.

....it would be easier to just fucking buy this and be done with it. Your issue can be solved right here buddy.

Night.
Oh my God! Dude that was in expert point by point rebuttal destruction, of a series of wild ass emotional takes. I felt that burn here in Texas.

What is Fios by the way?

I have a friend who tried PSNow for a month. Well, she had so much lag she ended the sub asap. I'm no technician but maybe the problem comes from the console bandwidth? It can't receives as much data as it would need to makes it lag free?
Oh, Fios is 1gbs internet up/down that's offered by Verizon in the US, let's just say that it's basically top tier internet and PSnow still streamed like shit through it lol

Facts. This is a series that if remade, rebooted etc, would need so much care and attention as it did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong and is in great need of a make over. We don't have much open world titles set in the UK and with Sony loving green lighting open world games, i'm generally surprised a Getaway remake, reboot etc wasn't already in the works. We wouldn't even need the exact team as so much time has passed, its now irrelevant to make a successful reboot.

One day.
London is such a beautiful city man. Been recently sort of binge watching walking tours around different parts of London and when international travel opens up and life returns to somewhat of a normal, this would be one of the first places I'll look to visit.

It's such an underused location in video games. A Getaway remake with the graphical fidelity of The Order 1886 would be sweet.

Top Bottom