• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to play old Ratchet & Clank games really does show you how poor PS Now & BC on Playstation can be...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I mean, come on, I don't want to piss over PS Now and Sony's approach to their old games, but it really is dog shit.

You can play Quest For Booty and A Crack In Time on PS Now, but not Tools Of Destruction? Parts two and three of a trilogy, but not part one?

And no way to play the older games at all. None. Nowhere. Unless you have the old console lying around (which I don't).

Come the fuck on Sony, pull your finger out on this one now. It's getting ridiculous.

Edit: update - PS Now is the drizzling shits.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
PS3 version of The Last of us is on the service instead of the remastered version that's enough to tell you how much Sony cares about this

a shame cause Sony has many great games from PS1-2-3 they could add and makes it more appealing

zaanan

Banned
I mean, come on, I don't want to piss over PS Now and Sony's approach to their old games, but it really is dog shit.

You can play Quest For Booty and A Crack In Time on PS Now, but not Tools Of Destruction? Parts two and three of a trilogy, but not part one?

And no way to play the older games at all. None. Nowhere. Unless you have the old console lying around (which I don't).

Come the fuck on Sony, pull your finger out on this one now. It's getting ridiculous.
And what about Resistance? Only R3 is avail on PSnow, and none avail digitally. WTF!?

waquzy

The first and also the last time I tried PS Now was a few years ago, booted up Grand Theft Auto 4, and guess what, it was unplayable, even my super fast optic fibre broadband couldn't deliver a smooth gaming experience, it was all over the place...

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It’s weird because FTOD is by far the best out of the three, really loved it back then. Crack in time I recall had way too much repetitive Crank puzzles, or maybe my memory is wrong.

Schmick

The first and also the last time I tried PS Now was a few years ago, booted up Grand Theft Auto 4, and guess what, it was unplayable, even my super fast optic fibre broadband couldn't deliver a smooth gaming experience, it was all over the place...
Great, let me tell you my experience. I've completed TLoU, UC1, UC2 and currently playing through UC3. All through streaming. All playable. This is over the last 6 months.

Last edited:
i've had mixed experiences with ps now. when i tried on wifi, it was pretty much broken, but my connection is quite weak from my room.

wired on the other hand, i was pleasantly surprised with. no noticable lag or anything. only complaint was the kinda blurry quality but i heard they upgraded to 1080p now?

Kdad

Remings me, gotta go finish Tools of Destruction!

Unknown?

Do you live in say Antarctica? My slow ass Comcast upload speeds allows me to play even fast Sonic games on it very well. Only thing I wouldn't try is a fighting game.

MScarpa

All I'm saying is PS3 HEN isn't too expensive, and saves you the money from having to buy shit from Sony.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
All it shows is that Sony do not care about long term preservation. Maybe it costs too much ?

But then, if it costs too much to preserve a legacy they've been building for decades, does it mean they don't value their legacy?

That's the difference between them and the competition when you look at it this way.

Playing on PlayStation is a two edged decision. You get to be on the platform that has the most game, all the newer first party output. But then, you also are on the platform that does support the very minimum backward compatibility. Each new gen from Sony is a goodbye to the last and most of it's services go offline prematurely.

Faithless83

Banned
Nice, two new studios joining Sony today.
"Sony is bad" thread coming in 4..3...2...
LmRY.gif

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Was this thread triggered by the news about Elder Scrolls being in a design phase?

It's an honest question, because that news following the 11/2022 release date made me think we'd be hearing about backwards compatibility again.

It was triggered by the fact I just platinumed Rift Apart and wanted to go back and play the older games.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Give your head a wobble. I‘m a huge fan of what Sony does… but I can also call them out when they suck.

Not everything is about the kiddie console wars.
My bad, sometimes I forget that this was already discussed ad nauseam, to the point everyone understands the problems of emulating PS3 games.

The PS3 was such an alien console back then that made this a really hard task. This video is very educational:
(timestamped for the juicy part (10:14):

One point to take on this though:
ThjIQhn.png

The team emulating the PS3 on PC had their first app running in 2012, almost 10 years later they are still around 60% compatibility.
PS3 is dirty cheap and as far as I know easy to mod through software. You can always dig up the games on ebay too.

Feel free to keep venting about it. I for one would love to have the PS3 running on the PS5, but I've kept my PS3 around for this long for a reason.

waquzy

Do you live in say Antarctica? My slow ass Comcast upload speeds allows me to play even fast Sonic games on it very well. Only thing I wouldn't try is a fighting game.
Nah, in the UK mate, and yes the experience was horrible. The frame rate was poor AF

It'd be better all on PS5, but at least I have my PS3 hooked up. Between the two, I have access to every PlayStation console game.

I also got a PS TV for $15 which has been amazing. That will let me play Vita, PSP, PS1 and PS2 games. By just swapping the memory card, it basically turns my Vita into a Switch-like hybrid.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
you can emulate it on a pc.

No you can’t, apparently. I downloaded RPCS3 and both the Ratchet and Clank collection and ToD, and neither were compatible. I know there’s a Ps2 emulator as well, but that appears to have similar compatibility issues.

Last edited:
It'd be better all on PS5, but at least I have my PS3 hooked up. Between the two, I have access to every PlayStation console game.

I also got a PS TV for $15 which has been amazing. That will let me play Vita, PSP, PS1 and PS2 games. By just swapping the memory card, it basically turns my Vita into a Switch-like hybrid.
So convenient 🙄, Jim Ryan should hire you as a blubbering "yes man".

rapid32.5

Primal is abysmal on PS Now, one of my favorites on PS2. I want my money back for the subscription. But yeah, Sony is behind with BC and Now at least two generations.

Last edited:

Agent X

It's a shame.

At this point, I don't know if we'll ever see Tools of Destruction or the earlier R&C games on PS Now. Why? Because Sony hasn't added any new PS2 or PS3 games to the service since 2019.

There are a lot gaps in PS Now's first-party selection. As others like bender bender and zaanan zaanan pointed out above, the service doesn't have any of the Jak & Daxter games, and only one of the Resistance games (Resistance 3).

I wish Sony would go back and add these games, and some other cherished games from their PS2 and PS3 back catalog. Some people might critcize them for focusing on "old games", but that's one of the best things about services like this--you can check out games from years past that you haven't played in a long time, or perhaps even missed out on altogether.

FritzJ92

Get an Xbox SX and emulate the PS2 games, while you are at it go ahead and enjoy PS1 and GameCube games you may be wanting on BC

Quasicat

With the library, sony has they should have a Netflix style setup with tons of games from all the era. It makes no sense why they haven't done this
Exactly! I’m not sure, unless there are licensing agreements that can expire, why their entire catalogue isn’t available to play on PSNOW. Their first party stuff alone would make it worth the subscription. I tried PSNOW on my wired PS4 and loved the way it played, but I have most of those games on my PS3 and I still plan to keep it hooked up until it dies.

Bramble

I'm trying to care about this kind of stuff, but I just can't. After Rift Apart, even R&C PS4 looks and feels old, let alone the earlier games. On top of that my PS4 backlog is way to big to go back so far.

Esppiral

Primal is abysmal on PS Now, one of my favorites on PS2. I want my money back for the subscription. But yeah, Sony is behind with BC and Now at least two generations.
Now that you mention Primal, PS2 BC seems to run on Ps5 under PS4 BC and Primal has graphical glitches on PS5, they didn't even bother porting the PS2 emulator to Ps5....

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why fuck around with PS Now. Just pick up a 2nd hand PS3.

Eh. I really can't be arsed to spend the time looking for one on eBay. Don't need the fucker cluttering up my flat, either. And the Ratchet & Clank Collection on Ps3 is ridiculously expensive - largely because of this very thing.

What I just don't get is that there is a potentially much stronger revenue stream here for Sony, that they aren't leveraging properly. Shit... at least get the Ratchet games up on PS Now to generate income off all the idiots like me who want to go back and play the older games, having enjoyed Rift Apart.

Top Bottom