• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump speaks at Values Voter Summit ; pledges homophobic views will not be silenced

rudger

Why is “gay” in quotes?

Also, he’s just pandering to the little base he has left. They love him for the Supreme Court pick and he knows it. He needed some validation after...well everything. Fuck this guy.

pixelation

But GAF told me on November 10 that he's actually progressive on LGBT issues.

Remember?

5818b1d9150000d80453109b.jpeg

All i see is the ugliest toad ever croaking while it holds the LGBT flag...
my apologies to toads everywhere

bionic77

Does any country still take us seriously anymore?

We are such a joke.

The leader of our country always picks the most evil thing to do in almost every possible situation.

Syf

Banned
Vile. Angry as a bisexual myself and I don't even live in the USA. It's sickening how he held up that LGBT flag with that smug face and does this. I remember him saying Hillary was anti-LGBT while he'd be an ally and here he is openly rallying a hate group. A terrible man who deserves the worst. I hope he doesn't make it to the next election, one way or another.

GhostBed

God, this makes me furious. He was obviously going to be bad for LGBT, but I fear for the LGBT community after this. I could see this as being a starting point for lawmakers to introduce a wave of anti-LGBT legislation. Not that there hasn't been quite a few in recent years, but I could see them growing after this.

Fuck the FRC.

Garlador

Religion only works if you have other people around you to reinforce the exact same views. Having the internet means that people no longer live in small self contained groups and communities where this occurs. Everyone is now part of the entire world, thousands and thousands of different religions and ways of thinking and living.

There are two ways you can deal with that. One is to give up on religion as clearly an outdated idea, the other way is to fight tooth and nail against anyone who is different so you can once again get a bubble of like minded people around you. The problem is that bubble now has to encompass the whole world.

In America, they are winning that fight. Through controlling the government, schools and education, health services and the media (not traditional, online) religious groups are fighting back hard to force everyone they can to think the same way.
The Bible is their favorite unread book. As a religious person, I'm sorry so few practice what our scripture teaches.

The hate and bigotry they spew is unrecognizable to me as any doctrine I've read and studied.

rokkerkory

The Bible is their favorite unread book. As a religious person, I'm sorry so few practice what our scripture teaches.

The hate and bigotry they spew is unrecognizable to me as any doctrine I've read and studied.

Super agreed. Jesus would cringe if he saw this.

Shoeless

”I was hoping for a lot better than this," she said. ”And I was somewhat optimistic and I thought this guy is going to be okay. He has totally, totally disappointed me."

I guess when Trump chose Pence it wasn't the red flag.

It's good to see people revising their opinions and all, but it's still disappointing that this essentially means she was okay with all the racism and putting health care under threat, and it was only when her own demographic was targeted that she finally said "This is unacceptable."

Still, better late than never, but as a visible minority, I'd always keep in the back of my mind that she didn't think I mattered.

Shaanyboi

Banned

So you threw everyone else under the bus to vote Republican, despite everyone telling you it was against your best interests, and only now realize that you fucked up?

Cry me a fucking river. You have to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet to think the GOP was ever going to fight for the rights of LGBT voters

Toth

As a Catholic and someone who has read a lot about the Bible and the concept of salvation history, I struggle to understand how any follower of Christ can have hate for anyone. It's literally in the Bible: "Love one another as I loved you." Jesus came first to the people on the outskirts of society for goodness sakes.

phanphare

Banned
I'm not saying that trump wasn't always a huge shit head or hasn't been even more awful than predicted

but this feels like we are at a turning point for how this culture war is going to play out. trump is mobilizing his troops. I honestly don't know what a war looks like in the year 2017 when the divide in the country is not north vs. south but rural vs. urban with pockets of everything spread across the entire country so I can't make any claims in that regard but every day it feels less and less likely that this culture war will be solved with elections and politics.

As a Catholic and someone who has read a lot about the Bible and the concept of salvation history, I struggle to understand how any follower of Christ can have hate for anyone. It's literally in the Bible: "Love one another as I loved you." Jesus came first to the people on the outskirts of society for goodness sakes.

there's so much shit in the bible, so many translations, so many interpretations, and so many different religions centered around some or all of the bible it basically boils down to good people will use their religion to support and promote the good in themselves and bad people will use their religion to do the opposite

royalan

“I honestly thought I was going to get some juicy tax cuts by now” she said. “And I was somewhat optimistic because despite being a part of one of the most threatened minorities in the country, I am, before that, rich and selfish.”

I guess when Trump chose Pence it wasn't the red flag.

Fixed.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Cause those idiots believe in the following passages vs what you mentioned or the ten commandments.

They conveniently ignore that mistranslations have led to a lot of passages being misinterpreted, but can't have that getting in the way of their righteous crusade.

Toth

Cause those idiots believe in the following passages vs what you mentioned or the ten commandments.

They conveniently ignore that mistranslations have led to a lot of passages being misinterpreted, but can't have that getting in the way of their righteous crusade.

Geez, Even that passage has nothing to do with Christ. It's just Paul's viewpoint and IRC Jesus never said anything like those things. He would be so ashamed to see these types of Christians today...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Geez, Even that passage has nothing to do with Christ. It's just Paul's viewpoint and IRC Jesus never said anything like those things. He would be so ashamed to see these types of Christians today...

Yet that is one the biggest reasons they have a crusade on the LGBTQ falsely. Thank you for reminding me of how bad paul was for christianity or humanity, god has he given us some horrible views that have been taken the wrong way. I find the love for some passages vs the ten commandments or how jesus said to actually act paints a very nasty picture of those who claim to be christians or know what's in the book.

Ahasverus

The Church's biggest mistake was accepting Paul's scriptures into the Bible. Why did they do that? He was a random pastor with no links to Jesus or the original apostles, yet he's like half of the new testament and the 100% of the bullshit contained in it comes from him.

VariantX

Naw, you were told. People were screaming it practically from the hills that this guy is bad news for every single marginalized group in America and probably beyond the border. You were completely on that "F U, got mine" You still are. You're starting to see how it affects you, not all those people you threw to the lions.
I Literally cannot understand how you can be trans yet vote to put people in power that do not accept who you are on a fundamental level. They think you are a disease or a malfunction that can be "fixed".

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What an idiot. Trust Donald Trump at your peril.

One day, somehow, people will finally realise this guy exists only to get applause and coverage and nothing more. He believes in nothing, will step on anyone and throw anyone under the bus with zero warning. I’m actually still shocked that people can’t see right through his act.

I remember some gaffers criticizing others for shitting on everything that Trump does, but everything he does is garbage. He's that bitch eating crackers on steroids, he actually deserve the hate. There is nothing that he does that isn't worth crucifying. This is the worst administration possible.

alternade

I was born in a conservative family, registered as a Republican, and voted Republican for over a decade.

I still believe in the tenants of conservatism for many things. I'm Pro-Life, for instance, and also religious. Etc. etc.

But I'm also not INSANE. A large portion of the Republican leaders we have are bigots, misogynists, and racists, and I have no stomach for it. The insane thing to me is "Conservative/GOP" individuals (of whom it's growing to encompass the WHOLE party) making things political that shouldn't be. They should be things any DECENT individual should stand behind, regardless of politics.

Equality for all people, regardless of race, religion, or creed. That shouldn't be "political". That's our foundation.

And yet, yeah, we've enough people in positions of power, and their supporters endorsing them, that want a nation exclusively of their comfort and security. They fear "the other" and their politicians, FOX News, and circle of peers feeds them the phobias of scary "others" - be they big, scary black men, the homosexual agenda, the murderous Islamic aliens here to impose Sharia Law, the drug-dealing and murdering Mexican immigrants taking our women and jobs, etc.

You want to know what the "party of Lincoln" truly is? Afraid to death of their own shadow, and of every individual out there that doesn't think like them, act like them, believe like them, pray like them, eat like them, breed like them, speak like them... Because they've been conditioned for years and years to fear that change, and embrace the "conservatism" that the status quo is always better than change, that a "negative peace" is better than even attempting a "positive change".

I spent twenty years of my life like that. I'm probably a Republican-in-name-only at this point, an alien in my own party and estranged from my own family.

But I can only blame them for that. As I told my mother after she voted for Trump, "Mom, he's everything you raised me not to be, and everything our Bible instructs me to avoid."

Call me Ishmael, I guess.
Ok that's nice and all but if you're still voting for GOP leaders and supporting the party, everything you just said doesn't mean shit and you're 100% part of the problem. The age of fence sitting and diagnosing a well known problem is over; you're either with them or with us.

Did any GAF member actually believe that shit?
Apparently; it's quite bizarre. It's most demonstrable whenever the subject of impeachment comes up. Just look for any thread on the subject or when it comes up in discussion at all and there will always be someone saying something about Mike Pence being President somehow being even worse than Trump, primarily due to this issue. That's a common refrain. Pence would be an even worse President than Trump because he legit hates the gays and Trump doesn't. People in both parties are completely convinced for whatever reason that Trump simply doesn't care either way for LGBT issues.

Even with this, I expect to continue to see that stuff about Pence being worse, because most people won't ever find out about this and for whatever reason remaining convinced that Trump is completely indifferent to the subject.

Zolo

Apparently; it's quite bizarre. It's most demonstrable whenever the subject of impeachment comes up. Just look for any thread on the subject or when it comes up in discussion at all and there will always be someone saying something about Mike Pence being President somehow being even worse than Trump, primarily due to this issue. That's a common refrain. Pence would be an even worse President than Trump because he legit hates the gays and Trump doesn't. People in both parties are completely convinced for whatever reason that Trump simply doesn't care either way for LGBT issues.

Even with this, I expect to continue to see that stuff about Pence being worse, because most people won't ever find out about this and for whatever reason remaining convinced that Trump is completely indifferent to the subject.

Tbh, I don't think Trump has any big spite for the community. At least not any more than being an old man who thinks it's weird and unnatural. It's more that he knows it appeals to his voting base. That said, it doesn't matter whether you have big spite when the damage is still the same.

norinrad

Why is Amazon selling this shit. Fuck freedom of speech.

You need to calm down. Freedom of speech is one of the greatest ideals of humanity, but it also comes with consequences and responsibilities attached to it.

Trump just lied to people and got away with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this racist moron would accept an invitation to speak at a KKK convention and even accepted being crowned a high ranking position on live fucking television and I swear there would still be morons defending that shit.

Top Bottom