• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously splitting hairs here, but is "True Detective" really the best they could come up with for a title? It's pretty blah.
Agreed. It's frankly an awful, generic name that instantly makes the show seem less interesting than I'm sure it is. I could easily see less-savvy TV viewers passing the show up just because of it.

Agreed. It's frankly an awful, generic name that instantly makes the show seem less interesting than I'm sure it is. I could easily see less-savvy TV viewers passing the show up just because of it.

Well, at least the lead character isn't named Det. Marvin True, with the title being a godawful pun.

Really excited for this. What's gotten me hyped the most is how I've read multiple times that the show starts out completely understanding what it is and totally confident in itself. With only 8 episodes, it doesn't have a a lot of time to establish itself so that makes me happy. Just dive in and go.

Hindle

Banned
I can't wait to see what they do with the different timelines, and how they build the story around them.

Bumping for Alexandra Daddario's tits.

Do not disappoint HBO!

They don't.

tumblr_ly7s0wv84v1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Wray

They don't.

tumblr_ly7s0wv84v1rn95k2o1_250.gif

Awww yeah!!!

So does anybody know how the anthology format is going to work. I understand its going to be a new cast and story every season, but is each season's plot going to be strictly a serial killer story? Or is it just going to be crime related?

So does anybody know how the anthology format is going to work. I understand its going to be a new cast and story every season, but is each season's plot going to be strictly a serial killer story? Or is it just going to be crime related?
I would imagine that they're crime related due to the title of the show. The only thing I've heard about future seasons is that the two current leads don't sound like they'll be participating and Pizzolatto said that he was working on an idea that's set in California.

I would imagine that they're crime related due to the title of the show. The only thing I've heard about future seasons is that the two current leads don't sound like they'll be participating and Pizzolatto said that he was working on an idea that's set in California.

California... hm.

Probably won't be a serial killer tale.

Border/drug trade is my most likely bet. That, or a cult. Lotta weirdos in California, they may go in that direction.

Outside of MM and Woody Harrelson, it's sort of a weak cast. I'm surprised there aren't more heavy hitters. But holy crap I cannot wait at all. I'm gonna watch the premiere in FBI uniform.

UrbanRats

I gotta be honest, "Man is the cruelest animal" made me roll my eyes, but everything else about this looks simply amazing.
Hopefully it'll deliver.

Outside of MM and Woody Harrelson, it's sort of a weak cast. I'm surprised there aren't more heavy hitters. But holy crap I cannot wait at all. I'm gonna watch the premiere in FBI uniform.

I agree, Michele Monaghan and woody Harrelson are pretty good actors. You don't really need heavy hitters though, you just need people that can act along side of the 2 main stars.

TheOddOne

Cary Fukunaga directing the whole season is freaking awesome. They should get one talented director for every season.

JDSN

Banned
I agree, Michele Monaghan and woody Harrelson are pretty good actors. You don't really need heavy hitters though, you just need people that can act along side of the 2 main stars.

Brother Muzone and Kevin Dunn are really good actosr too, im not sure how high are those expectations when having two important actors as protagonists on a Tv show isnt enough, maybe Ocean's Eleven is the standard?

It will be interesting to see if future seasons are set in the same TV universe as the first - or if they'll take the AHS route and wipe the slate completely clean every year, allowing certain cast members to return in new roles.

All the hype! Nice OP as always CB.

I'd forgotten that Kevin Dunn is in this, cashing them HBO checks, 3 shows in 3-ish years.

Qvoth

Pretty excited about this until i heard of this being anthology
Guess that means we're getting a bad end for at least 1of the main character

Thanks for posting that. Sounds great.
Sepinwall said:
Pizzolatto says that if the show is a success, future seasons wouldn’t automatically involve cops and/or killers, but simply a mystery that a new set of characters has to solve. Based on the plaudits and awards I expect the show to receive, he shouldn’t have a problem enticing an equally-talented cast for the second round. And based on these first four episodes, I can’t wait for “True Detective” to become HBO’s next great dramatic institution, and perhaps encourage more creators and networks to embrace the value of shorter stories.

Does anyone know how long it takes for HBO Go to get new shows?
It should be up within a few minutes of the premiere beginning, though sometimes they have problems with the flood of traffic when things are initially up. I don't know if that'll be a problem for TD.

-Kees-

Didn't realize it was this Sunday, there's still so much stuff I'm behind on or haven't started yet but I'm definitely checking this out when it airs.

Alexandra Daddario......Goodness gracious there aren't enough Banderas gifs in the world.

n64coder

Looking forward to this show.

@cornballer, how many shows do you follow and how do you find the time for all of them? It seems to me that you're involved with every decent TV series.

Looking forward to this show.

@cornballer, how many shows do you follow and how do you find the time for all of them? It seems to me that you're involved with every decent TV series.

It's amazing the things you can do when you don't need sleep or food or companionship.

tumblr_mhhwyblqcr1qzc70ro1_500.png

Hindle

Banned
It will be interesting to see if future seasons are set in the same TV universe as the first - or if they'll take the AHS route and wipe the slate completely clean every year, allowing certain cast members to return in new roles.

It would be cool if they created an overall arc for each of the Anthologies. Connect all of them in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom