• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCfswIk.jpg

HBO's new crime thriller True Detective premieres on Sunday, January 12th at 9pm. The show stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey and has a great supporting cast that you can read about below. True Detective was created by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Fukunaga. In a somewhat unique arrangement, Pizzolatto wrote all eight episodes of the first season and Fukunaga directed all of them. True Detective is an anthology series, meaning that there will be a brand new story and cast if it returns for a second season. There's a ton of buzz for this show right now, so tune in next weekend and check it out.

HBO Synopsis said:
In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

Written and created by Nic Pizzolatto ('The Killing') and directed by Cary Fukunaga ('Sin Nombre,' 'Jane Eyre'), 'True Detective' stars Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart and Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle. The series also stars Michelle Monaghan (‘Mission: Impossible III') as Maggie, Hart's wife; Kevin Dunn ('Veep') as Major Quesada, the supervising officer in 1995; and Tory Kittles ('Sons of Anarchy') and Michael Potts ('The Wire') as Dets. Papania and Gilbough, the investigators now probing Hart and Cohle for answers.

Cast:
  • Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart
  • Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle
  • Michelle Monaghan as Maggie Hart
  • Kevin Dunn as Major Quesada
  • Tory Kittles as Det. Papania
  • Michael Potts as Det. Gilbough
  • Alexandra Daddario as Lisa Tragnetti
  • Elizabeth Reaser as Laurie
  • Jay O. Sanders as Billy Lee Tuttle
  • Lili Simmons as Beth
  • Shea Whigham as Joel Theriot

Videos:

1W0LaX9.jpg

Links:

Interviews and Articles:

tO8BMnI.jpg

Reviews:
Tim Goodman said:
True Detective has three immediately impressive attributes. The acting -- by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson -- is off the charts. The writing and the concept, by series creator and novelist Nic Pizzolatto, undulates from effectively brash soliloquies to penetratingly nuanced moments carried by sparse prose. Lastly, director Cary Joji Fukunaga has created a beautiful, sprawling sense of place (the series is shot and set in Louisiana). With Pizzolatto writing all eight episodes and Fukunaga directing all eight, there's an overt sense of shared vision going on (at least in the four episodes sent by HBO). Perhaps that's why this series seems so immediately self-assured, as if it was already in its third season. No doubt the chemistry between McConaughey and Harrelson is the driving force behind that.
Alan Sepinwall said:
Based on the mesmerizing first few episodes, McConnaughey is an early favorite to win many TV awards next year, Harrelson isn't far behind him, and the idea of having a single writer and a single director (Cary Fukunaga) has paid off in a show that on paper sounds like so many others, but in practice feels like nothing else.
Kate Arthur said:
I’ve watched three of the eight episodes of True Detective, and I can’t remember a recent show that’s excited me more. (And there are a lot of good shows, so that is saying something!) That former goofballs Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey have evolved into two of the most interesting American actors is enough to marvel at; factor in Nic Pizzolatto’s absorbing murder mystery, which flashes between 1995 and 2012, and you’ve got a stunner. It’s moody, funny, creepy, smart, well-acted, and Pizzolatto’s writing is like the best crime novel you’ve ever read. True Detective is an anthology show (like American Horror Story), so Season 1 will be Harrelson/McConaughey, and if there’s a second season (there will be), it will be a new story and new cast.
Joanne Ostrow said:
Judging by the compelling first two hours, sharp dialog and great acting will make this a DVR must.
Jace Lacob said:
If you watch only one new show this year, make it HBO's True Detective. First four episodes are extraordinary: tense, terrifying, sublime.
Jeff Jensen said:
Each season of this anthology drama tells a new story with a new cast, but McConaughey and Harrelson are so good, you immediately begin grieving the prospect of getting only eight episodes with them.
Variety said:
At first blush, “True Detective” looks like another brooding cable cop drama, distinguished primarily by the undeniable casting coup of pairing a suddenly red-hot Matthew McConaughey (and who saw that one coming?) and Woody Harrelson. It doesn’t take long, though, for this hypnotic series to begin assuming a life of its own, wrapped in a multipronged mystery and featuring one of more unconventional protagonists to walk the beat in a while. Rich and absorbing, this eight-part drama quickly vaults into elite company, offering a singular voice that’s unlike almost anything else on TV.

Upcoming Episodes:
"The Long Bright Dark" (Jan. 12) -
Former Louisiana State CID partners, Rustin Cohle and Martin Hart, give statements to a pair of investigators about the murder of a prostitute that took place 17 years earlier.
"Seeing Things" (Jan. 19)
"The Locked Room" (Jan. 26)
"Who Goes There" (Feb. 9)

Promo pics:
vVBIMB3.jpg

uvQBlLF.jpg

JCcIPas.jpg

OQe5uYm.jpg

Gr1Wag9.jpg

IgSPqan.jpg

mzZIjvP.jpg

Posters:

JDSN

Banned
I get the feeling this is gonna be an amazing series, I hope the single writer/director thing is mantained during all seasons.

Edit: Please lets keep the Dadario's titties talk to a minimum this time, it reminds me of that horrible first post I made in the last thread haha.

Very curious to see how Alexandra Daddario shows her talents in such a high profile show. This is the big leagues, and she's going to have to go big or go home. That Pierce Jack kids stuff is long gone.

Aw fuck yeah. This show looks so goddamn good. I'm hyped for McConaughey and Harrelson.

Also, dat Daddario. I was cheated in Texas Chainsaw, but not here.

Harrelson's resembling Jon Voight here, that's kinda scary. I really ought to watch this for the double-cast factor, but I have movies to catch up on...

Pryce

Rich and absorbing, this eight-part drama quickly vaults into elite company, offering a singular voice that’s unlike almost anything else on TV.
'

I feel like these lines are used far too often.

Anyway, this looks really good.

'

I feel like these lines are used far too often.

Anyway, this looks really good.

Singular voice probably has more weight here since it's one guy that wrote all the episodes. It's like a British TV show with one person writing for each episode in a series, at short one 4 to 8 episodes at most.

I was kind of worried this might be "HBO Winter Sun" (sorry) based on the all-too-vague trailers, glad to see that was completely unfounded. In HBO I trust.

I was kind of worried this might be "HBO Winter Sun" (sorry) based on the all-too-vague trailers, glad to see that was completely unfounded. In HBO I trust.
A couple of critics addressed that and said that while it is heavy material, it's well-crafted so the weight of it is used effectively. Don't expect an upbeat series, though.

Rur0ni

Every time I see posters and caps for this I get pretty worked up. Hard to contain the excitement, but I've managed to stay on video blackout since the first teaser/trailer.

Dany

Banned
Super excited for this. I'm more interested to see how this pans out for future seasons and why stars they can get.

As incredibly mixed as I've been on American Horror Story, I have to give it credit for breathing new life into the television anthology.

I love the flexibility the format offers, from both casting and narrative standpoints. And unlike AHS, I'm optimistic this show will take full advantage of the format's unique strengths.

Alpende

I've never watched an anthology TV show so like, Dany M, I'm kind of interested in seeing who they can get for season 2 if season 2 comes. Harrelson and McConaughey are pretty high profile.

Wasn't expecting these two to be in a t.v show especially Matthew whatshisname. That dude has been on a roll lately

also

edit: yep its already out, wow

A couple of critics addressed that and said that while it is heavy material, it's well-crafted so the weight of it is used effectively. Don't expect an upbeat series, though.
Exactly what I wanted to hear, and honestly what I was expecting despite allowing some doubt to creep in. HBO has rarely let me down with their dramatic output, and I figure the people running things over there are smart enough to know the difference between bleak in service of a story/characters and bleak for the sake of it. There was a time when I would've said that about AMC too, but that has long since passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom