• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight Frontiers Close Alpha 3 |OT| March 5

XT1WEMN.jpg

This is the 3rd close alpha but more like a beta since the servers are going to stay up at this point and there's no NDA.

How do I join? Register here.

You need to download the Arc client. When you get in, it'll be available.

No key! It'll just show up in your library in the Arc client.

I registered the day registrations went live and didn't get in until this alpha 3. :messenger_unamused:

What they've implied during the live streams is that everyone who wants in the a3 is getting in.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What they've implied during the live streams is that everyone who wants in the a3 is getting in.

That's a shame, I'd love to try this out. Fingers crossed.

No key! It'll just show up in your library in the Arc client.

I registered the day registrations went live and didn't get in until this alpha 3. :messenger_unamused:

So is this basically Torchlight gameplay in a pseudo-MMO environment?

Ahh. OK. So there are multiple ways to get it into this thing.

A key is one of them, but if you've been previously registered and were rolled in today or whenever, your game will just activate in the Arc client. No key needed.

ODESZA

Hopefully I get a key. I really liked Torchlight 1. I think I'll just re-download 2 in the meantime.

Only got to play about 90 minutes because I wanted to try some of the new Destiny content.

Early impressions are that it looks and feels good most of the time. Love the character models. Horizontal progression seems OK so far.

I immediately ran into problems with inventory management, though, and that felt like a chore.

Maybe it's just me being a noob, but I think you're supposed to maintain different sets for different areas, and it feels like a hassle.

Is there an Engineer class? Loved that shit. So much dakka.

Only two classes so far: Dusk Mage and Forged.

Dusk Mage seems like cross between an Ember Mage and an Alchemist.

I haven't tried Forged yet. I guess he's like the Engineer except the you are playing the automaton itself.

So, a month later... I am not a fan. It feels like MMO design that was leading edge in 2004.

There is zero innovation for the genre. The challenge is low for experienced aRPG fans. The structure of the game is a bunch of collect-a-thon quests.

The horizontal progression feels like a cop-out so that the developers have an easier time balancing their "aRPG as a service."

The game is incredibly grindy. Crafting and all other major decisions seem to be made with the eventual F2P model in mind.

They just introduced their dailies and weeklies along with what essentially amounts to a battle pass, and that is what pushed me over the edge. Whee...

Top Bottom