• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 Underrated Consoles of All-Time

Orta

Banned
Dreamcast is no.1 obviously. And 2, 3 4 & 5 too.

Big shocker from that vid is that I never realised the WiiU played Wii games :messenger_open_mouth:

Might be time to finally unopen mine.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I look forward to watching this video. Here are mine real quick.

1. GameCube. Possibly my favourite console of all time. I just loved the exclusives and controller.

2., Playstation Vita. Even I haven't played it as much as I should have, but what an amazing piece of kit.

3. Dreamcast. I put this a bit lower than the 2 above because I didn't own one and only played my brother's and my friends. Not the biggest arcade fan so the other 2 consoles win for me.

4. PSP. Compared to other handhelds I consider it underrated. Crisis Core, GTA, Lumines, God of War. Great console.

5. WiiU. I think this console is both underrated commercially, but overrated by its die hard fans. There's certainly quite a bit of content there, throw in the virtual console, handheld mode and backwards compatibility and it's quite stellar.

stranno

Big shocker from that vid is that I never realised the WiiU played Wii games :messenger_open_mouth:
WiiU is basically a Tri-Core Wii with Radeon video card attached.

You can even run Wii brew at full 1.24 GHz frequency through cafe2wii.

Romulus

Dreamcast and Saurn

Even though the original xbox is known for big name games and being a technical powerhouse, it had it's own slew of hidden gems in addition to that. Not only that, it's a beast emulator.

Last edited:
1. SegaSaturn - people need to play the japanese games. It's crazy good.
2. Dreamcast - it was so ahead of its time.
3. WiiU - there is so much to love (and to hate, fuck*ng Nintendo) about this hardware (all the cool comunity stuffs that are far better than PS or Xbox. And it's easy to hack to make it the ultimate Nintendo hardware, and Need for Speed is killing it).
4. Vita - Still my favorite portable. The oled screen, the d-pad (street fighter zero 3 players will love it), the look are so much better than anything else on the market and sharing games with PS3/PS4 is so cool.
5. 3do - aka the EA machine with Super Street Fighter 2 X. Plus it had great ports of Wing Commander 3, Flashback, Alone in the Dark and Niiiiiiiiggghht Trraaaap baby!

I had the GC for its 6 first months, i hated all of the very very very very fews games it had (Luigi was sh*t after Mario 64, and so short, i hated Smash, and Wave Racer + 1080 were boring as hell compared to the N64 versions).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If we want to talk about underrated SEGA platforms, Game Gear, Saturn, and CD all take the cake before the Dreamcast does. If anything, the Dreamcast is overrated just because it was their swan song.

Vita definitely deserves #1 spot. Amazing hardware but dismal (big) developer support. Indies showed it a ton of love. I see it rising to the same prominence as the Dreamcast someday.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
WiiU deserves first place much more than Dreamcast.

Dreamcast was ignored by the public, but not vilified and ridiculed by the public and the laughing press that slammed DK Tropical Freeze with the comment "It's not the game the WiiU needs now".

Dreamcast was widely praised by the press until its untimely end, even if the press was all about the PS2 as much as everyone else.
WiiU? Only the few who actually bought it know what everyone else missed. WiiU did almost everything wrong on the hardware side, but so much good on the software side it ain't even funny. I mean, Mario Kart 8 is still selling, and it sold like crazy once it got to the Switch. WiiU had a ridiculous library of good-to-excellent games. Oh, and WiiU was the last place you could legally buy GBA games up to this very day. Think about that.

LordCBH

I can’t detect any lies there. I absolutely adored the Wii U and the Vita is...one of my favorites of all time. Also loved the Dreamcast.

Lots of good underrated consoles been mentioned already in this thread, I'd like to give a shout out to the TurboGrafx-16. Great little system with an underrated library as well.

S77

Wii U is by far the most underrated. If only Nintendo would've capitalized on the backwards compatibility like Microsoft did with the Xbox One this gen. Modded, the Wii U is pretty much a beast, it can play the whole library of Nintendo games from any console before. It plays Wii and Gamecube games natively, it has the best N64 emulator (you can even use the original Wii one if you want) and it can emulate literally everything before it through official emulators (some made by the legends from M2).

Imagine if Nintendo would have put the whole (or the majority) of the Wii and Gamecube library on Wii U eshop for instead of only a few titles (without a single Gamecube game). Sure, relying on backwards compatibility while they lacked 3rd party support wouldn't have got them very far, but it would have made a big difference in my opinion. They had the hardware that could do it, but they didn't use it.

hunthunt

Banned
PSP is number one.

The thing got the best ever Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid and God of War and superb renditions of Burnout, Final Fantasy, Persona, Killzone and others

The stupid UMD is the reason why isn't recognized as it should, the best handled from the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Fbh

Solid list except for WiiU.
That one was pretty shitty outside of some cool games, most of which are now available (and enhanced) on Switch.

Top Bottom