• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 NEW RPG of 2021

The weapons you choose to hunt the monster? MH series has the most varied weapons in all gaming, you essentially choosing what class/jobs your hunter will take.
That wasn't the nature of player choice intended by the original poster. We're talking choice that pertains to the story.

There's a whole bunch of pure action games with more weapon variety than MH. We don't go calling them RPGs now do we?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It can be considered an action RPG for the same reasons Dark Souls games could be considered action RPGs: character customization and lots of different builds.

Not that I agree tho. I would consider MH and action game and souls games action adventure games, but that's subjetive I guess.
I would say Monster Hunter series are their own genres.

That wasn't the nature of player choice intended by the original poster. We're talking choice that pertains to the story.

There's a whole bunch of pure action games with more weapon variety than MH. We don't go calling them RPGs now do we?
Well If that's case then would that make point & click adventures as "RPG" as well?

Last edited:
I consider Western RPGs and Japanese RPGs to be separate entities with separate standards, so I should clarify I was speaking in regards to Western RPGs, although it obviously doesn’t fit with JRPGs either.

To me, Horizon doesn’t have enough roleplaying in it for me to consider it an RPG, even if it has certain elements found in RPGs. I would much more consider it an open world action game, though your mileage may vary.
How much or less role playing is in a game like Horizon seems like some arbitrary and subjectively judged metric.

Horizon has a fixed overarching story and plot and fixed main character like many universally considered role playing games. It has conversation choices like games like Deus Ex. It has weapon variety and a crafting system. Different armours that can also be equiped. To all intents and purposes its a WRPG leaning more towards very action heavy gameplay.

RPG as a category is loose. So are its sub categories WRPGs, JRPGs, cRPGs etc etc.. There's room for a game like Horizon to be included.

If you've played it, the game feels more like a Deus Ex HR/MD or Kingdoms of Amalur than it does a pure open world action game like traditional Assassin's Creed games (and yes, modern AC games are now sufficient to classify as RPGs).

kuncol02

Banned

In 2021 we'll see tons of RPGS, from action-oriented to Japanese style and everything in between. Here's what we're looking forward to the most.

10 Dark Alliance
Platform: PC, consoles
Release Date: 2021

9 Biomutant
Platform: PC, PS4, Xbox One

8 Gotham Knights
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, XSX

7 Outriders
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XONE, XSX/S April 1, 2021
Release Date: Stadia 2021

6 ELDEN RING

5 Monster Hunter Rise
Platform: Switch
Release Date: March 26, 2021

4 Starfield
Platform: TBA
Release Date: TBA

3 Dying Light 2

2 Horizon Forbidden West
Platform: PS4, PS5
Release Date: Q3/Q4 2021

1 Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
Platform: PC, PS4, XBOX One, PS5, XSX

BONUS
Nier: Replicant ver. 1.22474487139...
Platform: PS3, Xbox 360 April 27, 2010
Release Date: PC, PS4, Xbox One April 23, 2021

Bravely Default 2
Platform: Switch
Release Date: February 26, 2021

That list contains like 3 RPG games and skips almost all RPG games which are supposed to be released this year (BG3, Trudograd, Colony Ship, Gamedec, Pathfinder).
Whoever did that list should not be allowed to make any list at all (including his/her own shoping list).

kuncol02

Banned
The weapons you choose to hunt the monster? MH series has the most varied weapons in all gaming, you essentially choosing what class/jobs your hunter will take.
Does that make any shooter with character classes and/or different weapon loadouts RPG game? Do you think that Overwatch is RPG?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Does that make any shooter with character classes and/or different weapon loadouts RPG game? Do you think that Overwatch is RPG?
tenor.gif

Shanomatic

How much or less role playing is in a game like Horizon seems like some arbitrary and subjectively judged metric.
How many different ways can I build Aloy in Horizon? How can how I built my character allow me to interact with the game world? How can my build open different branches in the main story? I don’t believe these measure are arbitrary, they are the foundation of the genre. An RPG doesn’t need to have all these things, but Horizon doesn’t seem to have any.
Horizon has a fixed overarching story and plot and fixed main character like many universally considered role playing games.
Most games have an overarching story and fixed main character, this is not something characteristic of RPGs in particular
It has conversation choices like games like Deus Ex.
The conversation choices in Horizon are not comparable to Deus Ex. They have no bearing on how the story progresses or relate to how you have built your character, they are purely cosmetic in nature and not a real mechanic you engage with in a meaningful way.
It has weapon variety and a crafting system.
So does TLoU Part 2, and I certainly wouldn’t call that an RPG.
Different armours that can also be equiped.
Again, this isn’t a characteristic of RPGs specifically.
To all intents and purposes its a WRPG leaning more towards very action heavy gameplay.
None of what you described is what makes an WRPG a WRPG, or are false equivalencies. Yes, many of those mechanics do appear in RPGs, but that does not mean that every game that has them is one.
RPG as a category is loose. So are its sub categories WRPGs, JRPGs, cRPGs etc etc.. There's room for a game like Horizon to be included.
Sure, but there are still specific criteria a game needs to meet in order to fit into the category, which I don’t see Horizon fulfilling.
If you've played it, the game feels more like a Deus Ex HR/MD or Kingdoms of Amalur than it does a pure open world action game like traditional Assassin's Creed games (and yes, modern AC games are now sufficient to classify as RPGs).
If you find modern AC games can be classified as RPGs, then I believe you and I have very different standards and expectations for the genre, which is fine of course, and perhaps I’ve come across as more preachy about what I believe the genre to be than I intended, if so my apologies, I’m just trying to explain my viewpoint.

kuncol02

Banned
If you find modern AC games can be classified as RPGs, then I believe you and I have very different standards and expectations for the genre, which is fine of course, and perhaps I’ve come across as more preachy about what I believe the genre to be than I intended, if so my apologies, I’m just trying to explain my viewpoint.
Last AC is as close to RPG game as you can be without committing into making proper RPG game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tbh Saga Frontier Remastered and Neo: TWEWY are more exciting than these titles

kuncol02

Banned
Atom RPG is basically Fallout 3 we never get.

I agree somewhat; it has all the fluff and gleam of an RPG without any of the foundation, making a lot of that aforementioned fluff pointless.
On paper it has everything that RPG game is supposed to have and yet it somehow not fell like RPG game at all. I can't even explain that.

I would like to add one game to list of this year RPGs, Geneforge remake will be released next month. Finally with graphic that don't make players puke (to much). Still ugly but at least toxic green interface is gone. It's one of most interesting games I ever played.

Tales of Arise
Nier Replicant
Granblue Fantasy Project Relink
The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki
Shin Megumi Tensei III
Shin Megumi Tensei V
Persona V Scramble
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Bravely Default 2
NEO The World Ends With You 2

Top Bottom