• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 NEW RPG of 2021

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In 2021 we'll see tons of RPGS, from action-oriented to Japanese style and everything in between. Here's what we're looking forward to the most.

10 Dark Alliance
Platform: PC, consoles
Release Date: 2021

9 Biomutant
Platform: PC, PS4, Xbox One

8 Gotham Knights
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, XSX

7 Outriders
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XONE, XSX/S April 1, 2021
Release Date: Stadia 2021

6 ELDEN RING

5 Monster Hunter Rise
Platform: Switch
Release Date: March 26, 2021

4 Starfield
Platform: TBA
Release Date: TBA

3 Dying Light 2

2 Horizon Forbidden West
Platform: PS4, PS5
Release Date: Q3/Q4 2021

1 Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
Platform: PC, PS4, XBOX One, PS5, XSX

BONUS
Nier: Replicant ver. 1.22474487139...
Platform: PS3, Xbox 360 April 27, 2010
Release Date: PC, PS4, Xbox One April 23, 2021

Bravely Default 2
Platform: Switch
Release Date: February 26, 2021

No SMT V? Come on... although to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised of Atlus doing an Atlus and delaying the fuck out of it.

Nice list tho. Pretty excited for both Monster Hunter Rise and Nier. Also carefully pesimistic with Vampire, it seems to be going through some serious development hell.

driqe

What the fuck is this shit
ZIARFFa.jpg

Witchilich

Arkane Austin's fantasy project(probably Arx Fatalis 2) may drop this year. Also SMT V should have in this list.

Last edited:

Shanomatic

Hoping to actually see Elden Ring and Starfield this year. I think we will, but with the pandemic and such, I can’t be completely sure.
Horizon Forbidden West... RPG ?

ray liotta laughing GIF
Have to agree with this, if Horizon is an RPG it’s a rather weak one; the story it tells is interesting but reactivity to player choices was rather disappointing.

Corgi1985

Banned
The last decent RPG was prey and everything else is actual garbage trash, especially outer worlds. I hold little hope that half of these will be anything other than derivative bores like outer worlds or sleeping pills like pokemon shit, oops pokemon sword.

lachesis

For me it's only Ys 9 at the moment.
Nier, as I liked Nier Automata - it's in consideration.
Looking into tackling Trail series (finished Sky SC/FC, so thinking about jumping into Zero Kai when it releases for PC this summer)

Tschumi

... this is tough, like.. when YouTube music dudes do "top 50 songs of 2020" lists.. i straight up haven't listened to more than a handful of tracks cut in 2020.. i just have not got enough net interest to watch one of those lists.. seeing 10 RPGs is similar - not quite as extreme - but i just, like, after the top 1 or 2, the games just get so iffy that i just . .. the list becomes kind of inconsequential, to me.

On that list the only game I'm interested in seeing is Forbidden West, and I'm probably not going to play it for years... Yeah.

Anyway, you know, good for them.

SinDelta

Elden Ring would be my number one , but seriously though is anyone actually expecting it this year?

RPGs that have my attention-

Baldur's Gate 3
Solasta Crown of the Magister
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
Tales of Arise
YS 9
Monster Hunter Rise
Scarlet Nexus
Bravely Default II

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I love Gameranx's videos. They are one of better big game media that are on point. Jake and Falcon are charming.

And Horizon is definitely a action RPG.

Last edited:

Marchizmo

The last decent RPG was prey and everything else is actual garbage trash, especially outer worlds. I hold little hope that half of these will be anything other than derivative bores like outer worlds or sleeping pills like pokemon shit, oops pokemon sword.
Wrong its Disco Elysium followed by Wasteland 3.

Rickyiez

Terrible list . Half of the titles won't see 2021 and some of it aren't RPG .

Also , my hype on Vampire TMB 2 has already dissipated with the organization changes .

GenericUser

There are many games on the list, that I wouldn't call "RPGs". Like Dying Light 2. The "I play a specific role"-part is miniscule, the focus is obviously on decapitating zombies and exploring the world.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Uh, no. If Horizon is an action RPG, then Batman Arkham City is one as well, but alas
ShEQozK.png
Arkham series is action adventure because they don't have character level system, gear progression and its quest is structured as an adventure game.

Since you wiki'ed Batman, why not check on Horizon by the way?

BA4qgD9.png

Hoping to actually see Elden Ring and Starfield this year. I think we will, but with the pandemic and such, I can’t be completely sure.

Have to agree with this, if Horizon is an RPG it’s a rather weak one; the story it tells is interesting but reactivity to player choices was rather disappointing.
Where's the player choice at all in a game like Monster Hunter?

If MH qualifies, Horizon is way more of an RPG than any Monster Hunter game.

Personally, I think most of the titles in the list aren't RPGs but Horizon I do classify as an action RPG leaning more towards and action game.

Last edited:

Shanomatic

Where's the player choice at all in a game like Monster Hunter?

If MH qualifies, Horizon is way more of an RPG than any Monster Hunter game.

Personally, I think most of the titles in the list aren't RPGs but Horizon I do classify as an action RPG leaning more towards and action game.
I consider Western RPGs and Japanese RPGs to be separate entities with separate standards, so I should clarify I was speaking in regards to Western RPGs, although it obviously doesn’t fit with JRPGs either.

To me, Horizon doesn’t have enough roleplaying in it for me to consider it an RPG, even if it has certain elements found in RPGs. I would much more consider it an open world action game, though your mileage may vary.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
What a crappy list. And brave of them listing Starfield without knowing pretty much anything about the game.

iQuasarLV

Arkham series is action adventure because they don't have character level system, gear progression and its quest is structured as an adventure game.

Since you wiki'ed Batman, why not check on Horizon by the way?

BA4qgD9.png
Arkham City had a skill progression system just not a numerical one. It was actually locked behind story progression. Gear progression was also a thing in the game from suits to gadgets. I am not sure how you are drawing a separation here.
Both quest systems are near identical in that you run into people who need stuff done.

I seriously question anyone labeling HZD as a RPG. Why, because it had a numerical progression system and stats on gear. Gear stats that meant squat because everything was about targeting the weak point on the robots. That's a dirty distinction. I wonder what 6 years did to our definition of action adventure and RPG. Or was it marketing to label something edgier to sell something as unique?

Jadsey

Inappropriate Language
Not sure why Starfield is on that list....it will be Bethesda standard jank dragged down further by being GamePass filler.

No thanks!

Top Bottom