• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Game Show 2005 Review/Discussion

SantaC

Gold Member
TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW - Loco Roco (if Ghost n ghouls was playable i say that instead)

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW
- Lack of new media of World of Mana

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW - MGS 4

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 - PS3 (thanks to the awesome trailer of MGS4)

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT
- Rev controller

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - owl googles for PSP

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT - Rev controller

TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW : I don't know. Haven't seen the Kameo footage to compare with others yet.

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : 99 Nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : MGS4 OF COURSE

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 : PS3

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Rev Controller

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : No Revolution info

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : The Cell mention in MGS4 trailer

Beowvlf

Banned
It's really disappointing to see so many put Ninety Nine Nights as the most disappointing of the show, as it's been the number one 360 game that has interested me so far. I haven't really seen any media since it was first announced, can anyone explain to me what made it so disappointing? Will checking out the vids for myself give me a good indication?

TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW : Loco Roco

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : Gears of War

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 : PS2

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Massive PS3 lineup

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Poor 360 lineup/no new announcements

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : MS still seems uninterested in truly trying to wow Japanese gamers

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW : Not sure BECAUSE I DIDN'T PLAY ANY!!! Did anyone here???

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : See above....

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : Not sure. That the 360 had a bunch of playable games I guess... Sony/Konami whored out MGS 4 into a freaking Cell ad. And that stupid dancing robot has GOT TO GO!!! Freaking Kojima needed a robo raiden? NO playable freaking PS3 games, wtf!!!!

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 : Uh... 360 cause it was new, PS2 cause there were a ton of games still somewhat worthy, though I want next gen NOW.... Not PS3 folks, because NO ONE played it... console of the show should be playable on the floor you know. How about SEEN on the floor. there are no pics, so they didn't even show the HW, or the boomerang (or whatever controller they use this time).

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Hmmm.... Were there ANY!!!

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Freaking remote control as an input device. Sorry nintendo, fuck off, I like the controllers that have spawned from YOUR BABIES, the SNES and N64 controllers controllers clearly influenced the 360 controller and Dual Shock... What, Is this broken now? Why not try to design a better keyboard???? Face it, WELL OVER 100 million people are perfectly fine with the current control paradigm... I don't need a one hand pos with a wire to another hand so I can choke myself fishing. WTF Ever.

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : Sony shows NO PLAYABLE GAMES, Kojima moves a fucking camera, and the gaf spooges. This is pretty damn odd if you ask me. I'm pissed off, I wanted to see some REAL PS3 stuff. I know we will see real 360 at X05, where Sony is not invited, so wtf SONY!!!

And maybe I'm just dumb, but a 16 color, 2 button game also does nothing for me. Sorry. Loco roco.... looks like a damn tilt game that lost it's tilt functionality!!! For PSP, give me ghouls and Ghosts baby!

Rant over.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Huge fan, just ticked that it will be awhile before there will be playable PS3 info. There is no more Spring TGS... so what CES? Maybe I guess... but to debut playable there?? So it's some unannounced show, or E3... AHHHHH

I also wanted to see more on Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon... SOME showing for the revolution beyond the odd people fishing into the screen... Chrome Hounds and Kameo looked kick ass... but some more PGR or ANYTHING on PD would have been nice...

Amir0x

Banned
JoDark said:
Huge fan, just ticked that it will be awhile before there will be playable PS3 info. There is no more Spring TGS... so what CES? Maybe I guess... but to debut playable there?? So it's some unannounced show, or E3... AHHHHH

It's not an unannounced thing. Sony has its own event coming up, uh, I forgot the exact date but they will have something going down where they show off playable PS3 games. A few months from now.

ziran

TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW : Okami & Kameo [from the stuff i've seen and read]

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : 99 Nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : Revolution Controller Unveiling

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 : PS3

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Revolution Controller

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Not enough actual in-game footage from PS3 (& Revolution)

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : Xbox 360 is a matter of weeks from launch but after TGS you would've thought it was at least 6 months away

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Cool, didn't hear about that. I know about X05 in a few weeks, but nothing on a Sony private show! Nice:)

Krowley

TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW
okami

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW
Nintendo Conference

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005
PS3

Rev Controller

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT
MGS4 feed exclusive to G4

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT
Rev controller

Chrono

Banned
TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW - no idea.

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW - 99 nights.

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW - MGS4.

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 - PS3.

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - rev controller.

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - not enough rev info.

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT - rev controller.

DCharlie

Banned

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : Goku Makaimura

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : MGS4

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Revolution announcement

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Sega commited to still sucking balls

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : Mrs C getting her photo taken with Shadow the hedgehog...

I hate to just add to the already clear winners, but:

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : Katamari PSP
TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : MGS4 trailer
MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Revolution controller
MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : FFXII was MIA, AGAIN. Not even in their Press Kit.
ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : Microsoft not even trying, despite loud claims of "getting it"

ADDENDUM:
It's really odd to see people here claiming that 360 "won" TGS...you would be hard pressed to even know that Microsoft was there, on the floor itself. (Well, you'd notice their booth babes, but the kiosks...absent.) On the public days you could walk up and play ANY Xbox 360 game without a wait, with the sole exception of N3 which had a like 30 minute wait. In comparison, no playable RPG on the show floor had a wait of < 90 minutes, and the top ones (KH2, Tales of the Abyss, Rogue Galaxy) were 3-4 hours.

I am not making ANY claims about the relative quality of 360 software, just saying that claims they "won" TGS are inexplicably surreal to someone who was actually there.

Chittagong

Gold Member
JoDark said:
TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW : Not sure BECAUSE I DIDN'T PLAY ANY!!! Did anyone here???

Yes, I did. There was very little waiting for any game on Friday morning. My opinions, at least, are based on actual hands-on experiences.

JoDark said:
How about SEEN on the floor. there are no pics, so they didn't even show the HW, or the boomerang (or whatever controller they use this time).

Wrong. It was on the floor and by now there are about a hundred thousand pictures of it, including mine, judging the amount of people with cameras surrounding the glass cube in front of the booth having the three different colored PS3s we are used to seeing. And yes, the dildorang was there, complete with the usual "conceptual design" sign. I took pictures but I'm too lazy to resize and upload, because there is nothing new to be seen.

JoDark said:
MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Freaking remote control as an input device. Sorry nintendo, fuck off, I like the controllers that have spawned from YOUR BABIES, the SNES and N64 controllers controllers clearly influenced the 360 controller and Dual Shock... What, Is this broken now? Why not try to design a better keyboard???? Face it, WELL OVER 100 million people are perfectly fine with the current control paradigm... I don't need a one hand pos with a wire to another hand so I can choke myself fishing. WTF Ever.

* sigh *

You obviously didn't get to see any demonstrations, or even bother to read the descriptions online or watch the promo video.

Razoric

Banned
MGS3:S

99 Nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW
MGS4

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005
PSP

Suikoden 1&2 for PSP

Lack of PS3 System / Launch Details

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT
Revolution Controller

KingJ2002

TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW: Dead Or Alive 4

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW: Gears Of War

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW: Revolution Controller

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005: PlayStation 3

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT: Metal Gear Solid 4

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT: JP Xbox 360 Details (50 Dollars Cheaper / 1 SKU)

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT: Microsoft Press Conference

KINGJ2002'S TGS WRAP UP COMMENTS:

- DOA 4 looks great in playable form... i really want that game now.

- Ridge Racer 6 was exciting at first but now it's disappointing... well... the lack of hype for the game is disappointing and the videos were kind of boring... RR6 went completely under the radar which im sure is a bad sign.

- Gears of War was supposed to excite me but instead it seems like there was no progress since the e3 showing... framerate is still unstable... animation is bad... makes me question the power of the 360.

- The revolution controller had me going WTF! at first but i see alot of potential... makes me question how games will be played... especially a new mario platformer or smash bros... here's hoping they dont screw up the games.

- the ps3 was definitely the console of the show... sega displayed their games running off of ps3 dev kits. mgs 4 blew people away... devil may cry shocked people as well... the system didnt show much and made me forget about the 360 for awhile.

- MGS 4 gave us a glimpse of how games on the ps3 have the potential to look like... the trailer was amazing and graphically it was very impressive... combine it with the MGS art style and kojima's cimematics... there was no way you couldnt walk away impressed. For about 10 minutes i felt like a ps3 fanboy.

- I really do wonder how microsoft is going to counter this... they better have splinter cell locked down next gen.

- The most shitty announcement has definitely got to be microsoft announcement of one SKU for the jp audience... not only do they get one console which means more jp hard drive support... they also get it cheaper than we do.

I really feel gipped right now since i pre-paid for a 360 and all.

- and running up is SNKP... technically they had a good showing... but their press releases were confusing. Im not sure what's coming out anymore and KOF: MI - 2 went under the radar because for some reason no one but a fansite got pictures of the game. is there going to be a anime series or just a 4 part anime preview towards the release of KOF: MI-2? and KOF: MI 3 for PS3 is different from the 360 version? is NGBC really coming to the xbox 360 and ps2? why is ss: tenka only hitting the ps2? make some sense of all of this SNKP!!!

- the oddest event had to be microsoft press conference... the Q&A was retarded and they didnt show anything surprising at all... they hyped up so much... saying they will unveil more... and didnt unveil shit. Maybe they are holding out for X05... they better too!!!

COMPANY OF THE SHOW: Sega... the comeback is strong... announce daytona, virtual on, crazy taxi, and shenmue... and it's DC days all over again.

DCharlie

Banned
"TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW: Dead Or Alive 4"
where was this? I couldn't find it.

"sega displayed their games running off of ps3 dev kits"

... they did? where??? what?? and when??

"The most shitty announcement has definitely got to be microsoft announcement of one SKU for the jp audience..."

This was announced pre-TGS and wasn't mentioned in the keynote at all
"the oddest event had to be microsoft press conference... the Q&A was retarded and they didnt show anything surprising at all..."

... what Q&A?

"COMPANY OF THE SHOW: Sega... the comeback is strong.."

.... ??

I said it before and i'll say it again : GAF TGS sounds like something totally diffferent to the real TGS

Triumph

Banned
TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW:
Loco Roco

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW:
Next Gen Sonic

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW:
MGS4

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 (a handheld can be your preference):
PSP(Landstalker, Suikoden, Loco Roco oh my!)

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT:
Nintendo admits they would not be competing with MS & Sony next gen by introducing the REMOTROLLER

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT:
REMOTROLLER

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT:
Probably the simultaneous fanboy joygasms that rippled through the crowd at the unveiling of the REMOTROLLER

jiggle

Loco Roco

None

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW
MGS4

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 (a handheld can be your preference)
PS3

None

None

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT
N.Rev control

tetsuoxb

Can this thread be deleted and started again...

but this time only people who were actually at TGS be allowed to comment.

Dante

Wasn't there but based on the media I saw:

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW : 99 Knights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW : MGS4

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 : PS3 All aboard the hype train!

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Old Man Snake

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : 360 sub par showing

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT : Rev Controller

ourumov

Opinions based on what I saw through media and what read here...Aside the playable one, I don't think we don't have the right to give our opinion about the others, tetsuo.

TGS 2005 PLAYABLE GAME OF SHOW: Ryu Ga Gotoku (based on the comment that the game felt exactly like a Shenmue-experience !!!) THe other candidate would be Loco Roco. Didn't play any of them of course but both seem great games to me !

MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME OF SHOW: Ridge Racer 6

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW: MGS for TGS

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005 (a handheld can be your preference): PSP

MOST EXCITING NEW ANNOUNCEMENT: DMC4 for PS3 :p

MOST SHITTY NEW ANNOUNCEMENT : Revolution Controller

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT: Owl Googles

sly

Banned

Loco Roco

99 Nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW

MGS4

BEST CONSOLE OF TGS 2005

PS3

DMC4

Lack of shit for 360

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT

I don't know LOL

GeoNeo

I disagree.

RR6

None

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW

MGS4

PS3

Chittagong

Gold Member
Did EA attend at all this year? I didn't see their booth... maybe they commited a fatality to themself in TGS 2003 with promoting most heavily the MoH game where you shoot Japanese.

Wollan

MGS3: Subsistence

99 nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW

MGS4

PS3

Revolution controller

MGS4 direct feed exclusive for G4

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT

Loco Roco

CloudNL

Loco Roco

99 nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW
MGS4 trailer

PS3

Revolution controller

Weak X360 games

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT
MS Conference

Ironclad

Okami. Loco Roco runs a very close second. Both based on media and impressions.

99 Nights

TGS 2005 EVENT OF SHOW
MGS 4 trailer by far.

PS3 hands down.

Revolution controller. Gradius on PS3 is pretty close though.

MGS 4 feed exclusive to G4

ODDEST TGS 2005 EVENT
Solid Eye attatchment for MGA 2

Amir0x

Banned
tetsuoxb: maybe you or someone else could make the TGS 2005 Attendee-Only Review. We had a thread for people who discussed the events, so I don't see why they both can't reasonably co-exist. Might actually be interesting to see how people who actually went there felt in contrast to our own. We already have some in this thread who went with some strong viewpoints on certain things.

KingJ2002

DCharlie said:
where was this? I couldn't find it.

DOA 4 was playable at the show from what I saw... if you couldnt find it... you should have checked out the tecmo booth... if you were there... if not.. you can check out the many gameplay movies released.

DCharlie said:
... they did? where??? what?? and when??

sega displayed sonic running off of a ps3 dev kit soo....

DCharlie said:
This was announced pre-TGS and wasn't mentioned in the keynote at all

still... a day before the event is still close to the actual event. I consider it in the TGS timeframe and besides... many news items are released before the show anyway.

DCharlie said:
... what Q&A?

Microsoft had a Q&A after their showing.

DCharlie said:
"COMPANY OF THE SHOW: Sega... the comeback is strong.."

...??

bringing back classic franchises

returning to the arcades in a major way with vf 5 and afterburner

a very impressive sonic demo showing

through the help of sammy... sega is going back to their glory days... or at least their DC days were they dropped gem after gem on their system.

DCharlie said:
I said it before and i'll say it again : GAF TGS sounds like something totally diffferent to the real TGS

Remember... this is personal preference... what KingJ2002 saw... what KingJ2002 liked... not everyone on this forum is classified as sheeple. This thread wanted opinions from the members here... and I gave mine... dont like it... too bad... it's not changing anytime soon.

BioFan

KingJ2002 said:
DOA 4 was playable at the show from what I saw... if you couldnt find it... you should have checked out the tecmo booth... if you were there... if not.. you can check out the many gameplay movies released.
wasn't at TGS....tecmo held it at a hotel nearby....i think

DCharlie

Banned
"DOA 4 was playable at the show from what I saw... if you couldnt find it... you should have checked out the tecmo booth... if you were there... if not.. you can check out the many gameplay movies released."
I check the tecmo booth and the X360 stand - maybe i'm just blind?

"Microsoft had a Q&A after their showing."

did they? I assume not in the same room as there was a 10 minute wait for the Nintendo conference in the same room.

"Remember... this is personal preference... what KingJ2002 saw... what KingJ2002 liked... not everyone on this forum is classified as sheeple. This thread wanted opinions from the members here... and I gave mine... dont like it... too bad... it's not changing anytime soon."

good for you.

Of note, I thought Sega Rally 2006 was one of the (good) surprises of the show.

"wasn't at TGS....tecmo held it at a hotel nearby....i think"

I could believe that - but you know what ? you have to question the rational of not showing the sequal to one of the only big selling Xbox games in Japan at the show... quite baffling.

BioFan

tetsuoxb said:
Can this thread be deleted and started again...

but this time only people who were actually at TGS be allowed to comment.

agree...

IGN's hands on DOA4
Shortly after TGS closed its doors on the first day Tecmo held an event where members of the press were able to get our hands on DOA4. The event began with an address by the head of Team Ninja...

DCharlie

Banned
"Shortly after TGS closed its doors on the first day Tecmo held an event where members of the press were able to get our hands on DOA4. The event began with an address by the head of Team Ninja..."

damn it - i was in Outback slurping long island ice teas instead.

KingJ2002

i see... so it was held at a hotal nearby the tn offices... my mistake

still... watching the doa 4 video i saw alot of improvement in the game... even just watching people who couldnt do anything but throw.. the game showed alot of progress. So it got my vote.

i didnt check out anything on sega rally 2006... my focus was definitely on the next gen consoles this tgs.

Top Bottom