• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the people that think subscription services devalue games

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned
Your $60 games are $30 during the sale on that year. Your $60 games gets permanent price cut. Your $60 games become so cheap in 2-4 year time.

I am tired of forum kids, screaming about how these subscription services devaluing their games. They are not.

You are just mad, because other people get those games for cheap. You are just mad, because other people get to play it on cheap services.

The truth is, aside from Nintendo games, none of those games have value in term of price. It's just made up shit, to trick the consumers in to buying these shit. If those games, had value, these companies wouldn't have sales on these games. They wouldn't have undercut the price of their games.

In conclusion, subscription service does not, in anyway affect the value of your games. You are afraid for no reason at all.

FYI, those $60 games, cost less when you buy them in bulk. The more copies you buy, the cheaper the price gets.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
And on a side note, games on Game Pass, for example, don't have to operate under the extreme pressure of marketing and sales as they traditionally would have to, because part of their value comes from adding to the service.

Zeroing

Banned
Omg where we go again!!!
Regina Hall Popcorn GIF

Dr Bass

Im sure this is partially targeted towards me. I’m not mad. I’m in the software engineering business. I know what the value of software is. I also have Game Pass as I’ve said over and over, so being mad is a straw man, and a pretty lame argument in and of itself. I mean that’s what you think you can come back with? Essentially “U mad?” Get a grip.

And your argument doesn’t work here. Because those prices are tied to individual titles. They live and die based on their own performance. It’s not the same thing as an all you can eat software buffet for one price. Again look at the numbers Netflix has in terms of subscribers. Nearly 10x of GP. Look at the struggles they are still having at that scale. Look at how much they charge now!

Your argument is not only hollow in this case, it’s just demonstrably incorrect. We’ve already seen multiple people on this board start to say, after having GP, “I ain’t paying for games.” It’s exactly the scenario I said GP could enable and it’s beginning to unfold on a small scale. That is literally the definition of devaluing games.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t continue.

C2brixx

I don't think subscription services devalue games, but there is a perceived value based on the cost of the subscription. Microsoft should have required 6 months of continuous subscription or the purchase of 6 months ($60) of Gamepass in order the play newly released games.

Dr Bass

Nobody actually thinks this, it is just a talking point for Sony fanboys to latch onto. It will go out the window as soon as Jim Ryan reveals whatever subscription thing he has planned.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

First off, Sony won't do this because they want to make money, not lose it, and I am not a Sony fanboy.

Secondly, this issue is not unique to MS and surrounds what happened with the App Store as well. Plenty of pissed off Apple developers out there based on Apple's encouragement of "free apps," lack of software upgrades and the so called race to the bottom. It's not sustainable there either, which is why the iOS platform is basically a haven for F2P games full of MTX, general BS, and apps that other large businesses use to support their customers.

We really don't need more of these threads.

So not only you're saying subscription services don't devalue games...you also write that selling games is actually...devaluing them in the long run?

Now this was a twist i didn't see coming.

I can't believe this industry lasted so long with games on sale!

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Yea, I don't really use sub-services, but it doesn't bother me. I don't even know how something like gamepass can operate so cheap, but it's great that it can; more-so if it is good for all game studios, large and small. But I don't think about it much.

T0kenAussie

Neo Member
So not only you're saying subscription services don't devalue games...you also write that selling games is actually...devaluing them in the long run?

Now this was a twist i didn't see coming.

I can't believe this industry lasted so long with games on sale!
Flip the script. If deep discounts aren’t hurting the industry how is gamepass and other subscriptions? Waiting for gamepass is no different than people waiting for a sale imo

It’s all techno conservatives just preaching from their soapboxes about “disruption” and acting like MS is the big bad amorphous bully that is dangerous for the industry but also simultaneously incompetent and doesn’t know what it’s doing. The Fox News paradox

It’s performative drama

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

First off, Sony won't do this because they want to make money, not lose it, and I am not a Sony fanboy.

Secondly, this issue is not unique to MS and surrounds what happened with the App Store as well. Plenty of pissed off Apple developers out there based on Apple's encouragement of "free apps," lack of software upgrades and the so called race to the bottom. It's not sustainable there either, which is why the iOS platform is basically a haven for F2P games full of MTX, general BS, and apps that other large businesses use to support their customers.

We really don't need more of these threads.
Yep and it didn't used to be this way and wasn't at first. When was the last time anyone has hyped up a phone game? Or named one that wasn't loaded with mtx and bullshit?

Remember Infinity Blade, and Sword of Faragoal , The Quest, etc... games that cost on a phone but were full packages and new ideas + passion was put into them.
Where are new games like this? I don't have an ios device anymore , but an android and its devoid of anything good like this too.
There has been a few ports Baldurs gate, kotor, dq, avernum1, and some smaller rogueliks, cardnial quest 2, etc.. but they are few and far between.
Everything now is gacha with 1000 clones.

This is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom