• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PC getting a $100 special edition

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

F5-BEA54-E-9-D36-45-B8-AFE0-C8-B3-F28-D9-FE3.webp

Cool that they’re doing this. I think the last physical PC game I bought was Quantum Break.

YCoCg

Owning a physical case for a digital game is just so..."why?" to me....I like collecting physical copies, only if there's an actual copy of the game in them, not an empty case.
PC never really took to Blu-ray drives sadly, so companies just stopped putting out physical versions of games unless they could fit on one or two DVD's or just contain a link to an installer and code. I remember when GTAV had a physical PC version and that was SEVEN DVD's and still required a 30GB download.

I'm just going to buy the standalone game and mod the extra shit in, later. In fact, I don't even need that shit. I can crush Grounded on a new, clean playthrough. No problema.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm not buying this but I'm impressed they did it at all. Special editions are always a bunch of useless trinkets.

Garibaldi

My case doesn't even have external drive slots. They should have been a little more creative than 'just sell the console version without the disc' and made a usb firefly pendant with the gold version of the code on there. Minus some special files so it has to be installed to steam before working.

Doesn’t the missing disc defeat the purpose of having a steel book case? It’s kind of like having a really nice cellphone case with no phone available for it.

kyliethicc

INobody has CD drives anymore. The quantum break physical copy I was talking about was the same thing iirc. Be pedantic if you want but it’s a steelbook to put on a shelf if you like that sort of thing.
its not pedantic to call a digital game digital lol

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This might be the dumbest thing ive seen in a while.

If it actually came with 10 DVDs id legit think about biting.
The nostalgia of the Flight Simulator install was so heavy.
A box filled with content.....kids will never understand the hype of reading through all the manuals as the game installs.
Even on console, you buy the game, and read through the manual on your way home.
Hard times.....but they were good times.

image.jpg

FS2020_Premium_Deluxe_BoxVersionDVD_JPG2.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
As far as special editions go, this is very weak one. Disc or no disc.

rofif rofif posted an image of Saints Row special edition and that thing looked very interesting.

I love the game but no thanks. Already bought this game twice and this would be my third time. They have enough of my money. I won't be buying the game at launch. I'll wait and see what the sales are like and maybe even wait for it to be given away for free on Epic. I'm honestly in no rush to replay the game.

This might be the dumbest thing ive seen in a while.

If it actually came with 10 DVDs id legit think about biting.
The nostalgia of the Flight Simulator install was so heavy.
A box filled with content.....kids will never understand the hype of reading through all the manuals as the game installs.
Even on console, you buy the game, and read through the manual on your way home.
Hard times.....but they were good times.

image.jpg

FS2020_Premium_Deluxe_BoxVersionDVD_JPG2.jpg
I do remember the days of old PC games were you got a big box, a manual to read through, and having to put discs in to install it.

As much as I miss it I do think it deserves to be kept in the past. For any game I think physical is pointless these days* and even more so for a game like Flight Simulator. You can sit wasting your time fucking around with all those discs to your hearts content but you'll still need to constantly update it online.

* i guess physical makes some sense for a GOTY edition or those rare games that are well polished before release and don't need major patches if any patches at all. even for GOTY editions you will still get patches even thought they essentially contain the entire game and no major bugs.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The story is a service to apocalypse fans and honestly if you put the last of us next to other games it’s just better.

Top Bottom