• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiktok is getting banned on Sunday.

Idk tiktok but wechat is a mess.
i had many messages and pictures deleted talking with Chinese friends. They get automatic deletes after some minutes. Also Screenshot of bbc cnn guardian get deleted .
Now we mostly speak using line or Kakao talk.

Last edited:

Mistake

Idk tiktok but wechat is a mess.
i had many messages and pictures deleted talking with Chinese friends. They get automatic deletes after some minutes. Also Screenshot of bbc cnn guardian get deleted .
Now we mostly speak using line or Kakao talk.
That’s because your chats are monitored. External news sources are banned too.

Guys, this reminds me. Today is your last day to troll the Chinese government on their platforms

Ten_Fold

Thinking about it more, lots more countries will try an do this, FB,Google,Twitter,IG might not be as global in the new few years, when countries will start to create their own versions. They might not want our super liberal influence in their countries, it’s just a new style defense.

YCoCg

Facebook and Twitter are American, so they'll never be taken down or banned, they're too powerful and would be used to influence people instead, that's where the money is. This whole ban itself was pushed by Facebook from the start.

It’s a plague, it really is. I’m guessing it will be banned in other nations too. Nobody wants China’s government hoarding all this data on their citizens.

Let's all give it to the NSA instead!*+

*This post does not reflect the view of the management of GAF.
+This post does not defend China.

Edit: I didn't see the above post until i had posted my snark. So i guess TikTok is kewl as long as US "national security agencies", literally the NSA, handle the data?

How is this better, or worse?

Last edited:

YCoCg

So TikTok is a national threat that needed to be banned but suddenly now that the US owns 20% of it it's all good?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
maybe you are an ignorant person who thinks the US gov't is as bad as the Chinese gov't ,who currently has millions of people in "re-education camps" that they are harvesting for bodily organs.

NSA doesn't have that. CCP does.

harvesting body organs from ethnic prisoners. let that sink in. this is what you are hand waving away.

this is one of those issues where moral relativism only proves you have no ethics and no moral values and probably no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

rorepmE

Let's all give it to the NSA instead!*+

*This post does not reflect the view of the management of GAF.
+This post does not defend China.

Edit: I didn't see the above post until i had posted my snark. So i guess TikTok is kewl as long as US "national security agencies", literally the NSA, handle the data?

Lets see..

a foreign government that can't be held accountable by it's own citizens let a lone foreign citizens for any impropriety and the fact that Chinese companies due to their laws must hand over data at the drop of a hat.

vs

vs the NSA, who isn't hosting the data and at least has to justify why they need the data and despite some failings we still have reasonable accountability from our representatives.

Totes the saem.

maybe you are an ignorant person who thinks the US gov't is as bad as the Chinese gov't ,who currently has millions of people in "re-education camps" that they are harvesting for bodily organs.

NSA doesn't have that. CCP does.

harvesting body organs from ethnic prisoners. let that sink in. this is what you are hand waving away.

this is one of those issues where moral relativism only proves you have no ethics and no moral values and probably no idea what you are talking about.
I did add in worse/better and say i'm not defending china

but please tell me how i'm defending China.

I'm not American or Chinese and in the grand scheme of things, both countries can go fucking suck it for taking data en masse.

I won't defend any country that spies on it's own population, making 10's if not 100's of billions in profit from that very data, while those people don't see a penny of that profit.

In this situation i don't see a difference between the CCP taking my data or the NSA/CIA. I have a Huaewei phone with Google installed so i'm getting DP'd. If anything, i would prefer the Chinese to take my data because i reckon translating my dialect from barely English to Mandarin would be gobbeldy-gook.

I mean, i can't even explain shit in English to English speakers. No way the Chinese can understand it.

rorepmE

WeChat is the bigger thing for me...it sucks but my wife uses it to communicate with friends and family back home in China even though she renounced Chinese citizenship and got naturalized.

Well they'll have to make due without their daily updates on our tech secrets. :messenger_sunglasses:

Lets see..

a foreign government that can't be held accountable by it's own citizens let a lone foreign citizens for any impropriety and the fact that Chinese companies due to their laws must hand over data at the drop of a hat.

vs

vs the NSA, who isn't hosting the data and at least has to justify why they need the data and despite some failings we still have reasonable accountability from our representatives.

Totes the saem.

I...

Where to start.

Didn't Apple have to turn data over to the FBI or whomever? Isn't this the reason Assange is where he is now?

Nobody has any accountability. Nobody. Let's not play pretend and think everything is rosey. It isn't. In any country.

I get it though. America good because you're American. I respect you defending your home soil, no sarcasm, patriotism and nationalism are inspiring. It's good to see that people love their country. Just lets not go down the dark path of history because no country is innocent.

Messed around with this app for about a week. Every other video was some pro trump/anti BLM shit. Some videos were pretty funny but overall it’s just a waste of time. I haven’t been following this type of news. What’s the US issue with it?
Normie talk going around is about data collection which is a bit of a red herring as it collects the same data that just about any other app does. What type of phone you use, how often you open up the app, how long you use it for, etc.

The major concern from the US governments' point of view is that China's state controlled capitalist society can step in and make major decisions on how their social media companies use algorithms. In Turkey for instance LGBT content is censored, elsewhere content that criticizes the CCP is taken down. Users would be able to spot obvious propaganda and most would never fall for obvious pro-CCP posts so I don't think there's any rational fear that the CCP would sneak those in but when you can silently take out dissenting viewpoints the net effect is the same. It's illiberal and antithetical to western democracy and ideals.

This "ban" only moves the data collection from ByteDance to a US company, it does not stop that China is in control of TikTok's algorithms.

TikTok is not a unique idea, if it's ever gone something else will take its place, zoomers will dance their dumb dances and everyone else will yell at clouds over it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I...

Where to start.

Didn't Apple have to turn data over to the FBI or whomever? Isn't this the reason Assange is where he is now?

Nobody has any accountability. Nobody. Let's not play pretend and think everything is rosey. It isn't. In any country.

I get it though. America good because you're American. I respect you defending your home soil, no sarcasm, patriotism and nationalism are inspiring. It's good to see that people love their country. Just lets not go down the dark path of history because no country is innocent.

I don’t know what kind of troll you are, but no, Apple, the FBI and Assange are not related.

Yes, for national security purposes, the US government wouldn’t want a foreign dictatorial governments with data of its own citizens. If they collect data on their own citizens or not, is not the issue.

China is not accountable to its own citizens.

The US does not own its companies, they are private organizations. So the US is not buying TikTok, Oracle and Walmart are.

If you don’t understand the situation, ask. People are happy to explain it to you.

I don’t know what kind of troll you are, but no, Apple, the FBI and Assange are not related.

Yes, for national security purposes, the US government wouldn’t want a foreign dictatorial governments with data of its own citizens. If they collect data on their own citizens or not, is not the issue.

China is not accountable to its own citizens.

The US does not own its companies, they are private organizations. So the US is not buying TikTok, Oracle and Walmart are.

If you don’t understand the situation, ask. People are happy to explain it to you.

Not Assange, my bad. Same thing applies though. Government exerting pressure to access private companies back door keys.

Fwiw not a troll. I never said America were worse or better than China in the case of data collection and sharing. Any China and or American policies outside of this select instance don't matter diddly swiat

Last edited:
Top Bottom