• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands of Baltimore residents protest Freddie Gray’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Probably because everyone here already agrees that police brutality against people is wrong, and the only point of contention is people who think vandalism is OK and people who don't.

But no, I'm sure everyone who disagrees with you secretly doesn't care about black people and thinks everyone out there protesting was a savage asshole.

You give people too much credit. Keep fighting the good fight though and continue to focus on what's truly important here.

lmao like you were arguing anything besides the usual "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WINDOWS?" point.
Whatever man, you don't know anything about me or my opinions. You're just another dude on the internet who likes to assume what people are thinking instead of letting them speak themselves. I'm not going to get riled up because some dude on the internet likes to assume shit about people he doesn't even know.

Have fun with your uninformed, ignorant opinion of me.
You give people too much credit. Keep fighting the good fight though and continue to focus on what's truly important here.
Thanks man, I'll enjoy being able to point out shitty people on both sides of the argument for years to come.

And when has that violence ever lead to positive change? One of the most successful social movements (the civil rights movement) achieved it's ends largely through non-violent protests. Who had more success? Martin Luther King's movement or the Black Panthers?

MLK got killed

SkyOdin

I didn't ask anyone to act like a saint, I'm saying that they shouldn't break innocent people's shit. There is a Grand Canyon sized crater in between the two.
You are asking a large crowd of very angry, downtrodden people who have zero confidence that society cares about their suffering to completely quell and suppress the violent behavior of every individual member of the mob, some of whom may be outside agitators or police plants. This, in a society when a sports game victory can end in torched cars and looted storefronts.

Yeah, you are asking people to be saints.

The Adder

Banned
And when has that violence ever lead to positive change? One of the most successful social movements (the civil rights movement) achieved it's ends largely through non-violent protests. Who had more success? Martin Luther King's movement or the Black Panthers?

John Brown.

GQman2121

Banned
Whatever man, you don't know anything about me or my opinions. You're just another dude on the internet who likes to assume what people are thinking instead of letting them speak themselves. I'm not going to get riled up because some dude on the internet likes to assume shit about people he doesn't even know.

Well you are an idiot. So there's that.

Goodbye and goodnight.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's hard to do that when you are caught in the crossfire. Who are the owners of these cars/businesses going to blame? The police who drove the protesters to violence or the protestors who committed the violence?

You're making the "respectable politics" argument, which would be OK except it places the onus for change on the harmed group. It's akin to victim blaming.

PopeReal

Take note black Americans. Our police force can jail you and kill you for no reason and with impunity.

But please behave yourselves when complaining.

Laieon

Yep. They always love to ignore the real problem.

What if there's more than one problem? You don't need to side with anyone. I don't want to side with corrupt cops, but I don't exactly what to side with gang members who are causing property damage to things like the car in picture #3, which more than likely belongs to someone completely unrelated to the situation.

I would say that having to come up with the funds to replace your windows after they were smashed out could potentially be a "real problem" for whoever's car that is. Just because one issue is less significant doesn't make it less "real", whatever the hell that means.

Considering that there were thousands of people who were there that didn't resort to these actions, no, I don't think I'm asking people to be saints. If thousands of people were able to stop themselves from wrecking things, I don't see why the few that did shouldn't be judged accordingly.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

brian577

Banned
You're making the "respectable politics" argument, which would be OK except it places the onus for change on the harmed group. It's akin to victim blaming.

I'm not placing the blame on them personally, merely acknowledging that the victims of their violence will most likely place the blame on them, justified or not. It's far harder to think rationally when you are the victim.

You are asking a large crowd of very angry, downtrodden people who have zero confidence that society cares about their suffering to completely quell and suppress the violent behavior of every individual member of the mob, some of whom may be outside agitators or police plants. This, in a society when a sports game victory can end in torched cars and looted storefronts.

Yeah, you are asking people to be saints.
Considering that there were thousands of people who were there that didn't resort to these actions, no, I don't think I'm asking people to be saints. If thousands of people were able to stop themselves from wrecking things, I don't see why the few that did shouldn't be judged accordingly.

Merc_

Yes, yes I know. I've heard it all before.

Keep fighting the good fight for those windows! Only you can see through the fog to what's really important.

PopeReal

What if there's more than one problem? You don't need to side with anyone. I don't want to side with corrupt cops, but I don't exactly what to side with gang members who are causing property damage to things like the car in picture #3, which more than likely belongs to someone completely unrelated to the situation.

I would say that having to come up with the funds to replace your windows after they were smashed out could potentially be a "real problem" for whoever's car that is. Just because one issue is less significant doesn't make it less "real", whatever the hell that means.

Sorry but this is stupid as fuck.

People are being murdered and their killers are getting away with, largely while being cheered on by the American public.

Can we stop with this broken window bullshit?

Well you are an idiot. So there's that.

Goodbye and goodnight.
That's a pretty rude thing to say man. Do you have a problem?
I'm sure you do, especially when it's about things like this.
This is for you too.

Mizerman

You mean when MLK and company was constantly attacked by police dogs, high-pressure fire hoses, arrested many times and our very government was keeping secret tabs on him just for an excuse to bring him down?

Not to mention he was assassinated. He and many others had to become freaking martyrs in order to people to wake up.

Don't get me wrong, I highly respect MLK. Always will. But I would never wish to be in that kind of situation just to enact some positive change just because people upstairs were stubborn enough to continue the status quo.

jwhit28

I'm not placing the blame on them personally, merely acknowledging that the victims of their violence will most likely place the blame on them, justified or not. It's far harder to think rationally when you are the victim.

Then why can't you see why victims of police bias acted irrationally?

Yes, yes I know. I've heard it all before.

Keep fighting the good fight for those windows! Only you can see through the fog to what's really important.
Apparently you didn't catch it the first time, so I'm just going to respond to you the same way I did last time, since your behavior is exactly the same.

brian577

Banned
You mean when MLK and company was constantly attacked by police dogs, high-pressure fire hoses, arrested many times and our very government was keeping secret tabs on him just for an excuse to bring him down?

Not to mention he was assassinated. He and many others had to become freaking martyrs in order to people to wake up.

Don't get me wrong, I highly respect MLK. Always will. But I would never wish to be in that kind of situation just to enact some positive change just because people upstairs were stubborn enough to continue the status quo.

Except they did not respond in kind and were seen (rightly) as the victim of an in-just system.

JCizzle

The fact that he put up with all that bullshit has made him one of the greatest Americans of all time though. His legacy will live forever because of his actions under those circumstances.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

You kind of are doing that if you're saying that they should act more orderly in order to prevent themselves from being misinterpreted.

andthebeatgoeson

Pointing out that people shouldn't be vandalizing other peoples shit for no reason isn't ignoring the real problem. It's talking about an additional problem caused by some idiots who don't know how to protest peacefully. Even the victims family has come out and spoke against the vandalism and violence. Vandalism is a problem in itself, it doesn't suddenly become OK under certain circumstances.
When a minority group feels like they are not heard, it's always violent.

'Guys, I can't take you serious if you're going to throw that perfectly good tea into the water. Why can't you protest peacefully?'

DedValve

Banned
Even when the first fucking post specifically calls out the direction the thread will take in an effort to hopefully change it the end of the first page already had it doomed to repeat the same tired arguments.

Also the crips and bloods coming together is goddamn atrocious. Police brutality is THAT bad.

Merc_

Apparently you didn't catch it the first time, so I'm just going to respond to you the same way I did last time, since your behavior is exactly the same.

Judging by the rest of the thread, it sure is weird how multiple people are coming to the same conclusions about you in this thread.

Uninformed and ignorant tho, right?

I'm not making assumptions, I have had "discussions" about race with you before so I know where you stand.
Judging my your tone, I'm assuming you don't. Because there have been many times I've agreed with you in threads about race. I think that because I don't agree with you 100% of the time that you think I have an opposing view to yours.

I'm not going to post it again, but you're really living up to that post I requoted towards you. You don't know anything about me. You don't what I think about race. You know a few snippets I've discussed in a public forum. The fact that you think you "Know where I stand" based off this small amount of information just speaks to my point.
Judging by the rest of the thread, it sure is weird how multiple people are coming to the same conclusions about you in this thread.

Uninformed and ignorant tho, right?
Please, it's because they're all making the same exact assumptions as you because I don't agree with you. It's pretty clear that this is the way they're going to treat ANYONE who brings up the point that vandalism in this situation is bad. This is an anonymous pubic forum. The fact that you think that you know enough about my opinions based off the little discussion I have here is laughable.

Furyous

It's about street cred. Gangs show up to show their hate toward the police. For example, here we had a nice family friendly boxing event, gang bangers showed up because it was others vs cops boxing. Being a gang banger isn't a crime in the US so they take every opportunity to hate on the police, regardless of their gang affiliations.

They didn't do anything bad at the event but there were plenty of annoyed coppers. :p

..... WAT?? Can you expound your statements as well as the specific correlation to the events in this particular community?

--

Police serve communities so it frightens to me see this complete lack of empathy from most local officials in power. At the very least fire these six people. No arrests have been made at all.

JCizzle

Even when the first fucking post specifically calls out the direction the thread will take in an effort to hopefully change it the end of the first page already had it doomed to repeat the same tired arguments.

Also the crips and bloods coming together is goddamn atrocious. Police brutality is THAT bad.

The guy was straight up murdered. Even the commissioner admitted as much. Unfortunately there isn't much else to discuss about the situation if you're not going to open up the discussion to other aspects of the story. It's kind of remarkable how open they've been about this, mostly because it will be crazy (depressing) to see how they try to spin the charges on the cops at this point after all the info has been made public.

Regardless violence and chaos are only going to make those kind of people feel more justified in their views. Violence is never the answer to a problem.

i disagree, if that were the case then the u.s. (and some other countries) wouldn't exist, sometimes you have no other choice, however random violence is never the answer, it does bring awareness to what's going on but it's probably not the right kind of attention

this poster nailed whats really going on

You guys are funny and over thinking this shit.

As someone who lives in this city let me break down what happened as far as the violence today.

A few young niggas had the opportunity to turn up in the streets while the police were in a concentrated section of downtown. That's it. These kids don't care about any cause or trying to fix any systemic problems in society. It's Saturday; they're bored. Let's break shit. That's seriously all this was and will be when it happens again.

It was the local Fox station and their coverage just ended.

It was only a few dozen people and the cops had it under control.

PopeReal

Yes that's exactly what I said. /sarcasm

I'm outta here, this conversation is going no where and I seem to be taking over the topic.

You are asking black Americans to play the victim to get more sympathy. How much more of a victim could they be?

DedValve

Banned
The guy was straight up murdered. Even the commissioner admitted as much. Unfortunately there isn't much else to discuss about the situation if you're not going to open up the discussion to other aspects of the story.

Its the same song and dance everytime. Look at it in this very thread, rather than discussing the root of the problem the thread gets sidetracked and usually ends with a bunch of people piling on 1 or 2 individuals or extremely heated arguments that are removed from the problem itself, in this case extreme police brutality.

Umm, what the fuck?

So apparently the United States existing is a solution to what problem? Were the Native Americans in the way and the US had no other choice then to slaughter them? Like, what the fuck.

I don't want to derail this thread though, just shocked at this comment.
He's talking about the American Revolution.

Mizerman

Oh here we go again with MLK...

Tell me about it. It's like typing "MLK" is supposed to be some sort of argument ending technique that certain people employ in a effort to divert attention.

...Without even knowing the context of what he went through just to do that.

...And it's still happening decades later.

Enzom21

Judging my your tone, I'm assuming you don't. Because there have been many times I've agreed with you in threads about race. I think that because I don't agree with you 100% of the time that you think I have an opposing view to yours.

I'm not going to post it again, but you're really living up to that post I requoted towards you. You don't know anything about me. You don't what I think about race. You know a few snippets I've discussed in a public forum. The fact that you think you "Know where I stand" based off this small amount of information just speaks to my point.

Please, it's because they're all making the same exact assumptions as you because I don't agree with you. This is an anonymous pubic forum. The fact that you think that you know enough about my opinions based off the little discussion I have here is laughable.

Those "few snippets" sure seem to pop up a lot with you. If those "little discussions" aren't your opinion then why do you keep posting them? You and I haven't agreed on shit when it comes to discussions on race, stop bullshitting.

Those "few snippets" sure seem to pop up a lot with you. You and I haven't agreed on shit when it comes to discussions on race, stop bullshitting.
Not true. I think the way you go about talking about race can be rude and shitty, but more often then not I agree with the ideas behind the tone.

Again, this is just you assuming because I don't 100% agree with you on things, that I don't agree with you at all. Which is another thing I don't like about discussing racial issues with you.

I'll say it one more time. You know very little to absolutely nothing about me. You can pretend like you do and make whatever assumptions you want. I don't really care. You're just a dude on a forum. But at the end of the day, that's what they are. Vague assumptions based on the times we have disagreed.

PopeReal

Its the same song and dance everytime. Look at it in this very thread, rather than discussing the root of the problem the thread gets sidetracked and usually ends with a bunch of people piling on 1 or 2 individuals or extremely heated arguments that are removed from the problem itself, in this case extreme police brutality.

Well we have seen all the classic concerned input...

"Protest the right way! I can be concerned about both sides of the story! Be more like MLK! You need to get people on your side!"

It is all the same bullshit. I will say it again. The so called moderates are killing any chance at change.

Umm, what the fuck?

So apparently the United States existing is a solution to what problem? Were the Native Americans in the way and the US had no other choice then to slaughter them? Like, what the fuck.

I don't want to derail this thread though, just shocked at this comment.

i was disagreeing with the notion that violence is never a solution and gave an example of the formation of the u.s., the colonist pushed back against what they felt to be tyranny from the british because they knew sometimes you have no other option but violence, and it worked, violence was indeed a solution to that particular problem

Well we have seen all the classic concerned input...

"Protest the right way! I can be concerned about both sides of the story! Be more like MLK! You need to get people on your side!"

It is all the same bullshit. I will say it again. The so called moderates are killing any chance at change.
Funny..I think MLK said something about that once.. ;)

Merc_

Please, it's because they're all making the same exact assumptions as you because I don't agree with you. It's pretty clear that this is the way they're going to treat ANYONE who brings up the point that vandalism in this situation is bad. This is an anonymous pubic forum. The fact that you think that you know enough about my opinions based off the little discussion I have here is laughable.

It's hard not to make those assumptions about someone who comes into a thread about a protest of police brutality to only complain about broken windows. When multiple people make the same assumption maybe you should consider how you come across.

lednerg

Urban decay doesn't happen without a catalyst. The war on drugs, the militarization of the police force, the war on labor, the dismantling of social services and public schooling, etc. have resulted in far more property, neighborhood, and family destruction than anything these despondent, frustrated youths could ever achieve. They're acting out because of something that goes deeper than just the subject of police brutality; they're acting out because their world has offered them little else but apathy and bootstrap instructions.

Oh, but let us expend the energy to wag our fingers at the isolated incidents of busted up windows. Shame on them.

Enzom21

Not true. I think the way you go about talking about race can be rude and shitty, but more often then not I agree with the ideas behind the tone.

Again, this is just you assuming because I don't 100% agree with you on things, that I don't agree with you at all. Which is another thing I don't like about discussing racial issues with you.

I'll say it one more time. You know very little to absolutely nothing about me
Oh I am definitely rude when it comes to discussions about race. I have no reason to be nice to people more concerned about broken windows.
I know what you have posted about race in the past. If those things are not what you believe then why post them?
And no, I don't expect you to agree with 100% but I know you and I have never agreed when it comes to race/racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom