• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands of Baltimore residents protest Freddie Gray’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the comparison isn't apples to apples and I do agree that black people have it worse than the gay community did/does, but I still felt it was a comparison worth making because they are both social issues and there isn't much else like it to compare to in America.

If you want another crazy example, in the early 90s a classmate of my older brother had a birthday party at the country club her parents belonged to, but none of the black kids in his class were able to attend, because the country club did not allow black people, despite being invited by the parents.

You'd be better off comparing the blacks to native americans.

By all means, tell us how, if they'd only been more peaceful, the situation would've been better for them.

I've read all 15 pages of this thread, and the same behavior keeps popping up: As soon as some people see even the slightest bit of civil disobedience, they cleanse themselves of all sympathy towards the protestor's cause. All they want is one excuse to dismiss the protestors as the "other."

If you're going to be a shitbag, just come out and be a shitbag with pride. At the very least, you won't look like a coward.

Well said.

Oh, okay. Well, you're wrong.

And this is getting off topic. That is why you should avoid ad hominem is discussions and debates
Living in Baltimore I've dealt with many people who think like you do. You earlier comments about how Baltimore is "unsafe" just proves that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Keep that narrative up though brah we can almost see through it.

You know normally I would say that's tragic and shouldn't happen but seriously fuck the Baltimore PD. I have a brother on the force and based of the stories he's told me, fuck him too.

They should be ashamed to even say some shit like that. I'm pretty sure gangs are out to kill those motherfuckers everyday today isn't any different just gotta spin that narrative.

Take it away, Stokely

"Dr. King’s policy was that nonviolence would achieve the gains for black people in the United States. His major assumption was that if you are nonviolent, if you suffer, your opponent will see your suffering and will be moved to change his heart. That’s very good. He only made one fallacious assumption: In order for nonviolence to work, your opponent must have a conscience. The United States has none."

While I wouldn't be all that surprised if true, I'd want to see the receipts on this. Can't believe what the police say in these situations anymore as they have no incentive to tell the truth.

CDm_3A8WoAE5yXA.png

BPoole

Living in Baltimore I've dealt with many people who think like you do. You earlier comments about how Baltimore is "unsafe" just proves that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Keep that narrative up though brah we can almost see through it.
I'm not alone in thinking Baltimore is unsafe. Did you not see the chart I linked you earlier? I noticed you conveniently didn't respond to it.

Baltimore is the 7th most dangerous city in the US. Research and statistics support that claim.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oh, okay. Well, you're wrong.

And this is getting off topic. That is why you should avoid ad hominem is discussions and debates

What is there to discuss with you, though? You used gay rights as a way to show us non violent protests works and then conveniently forgot about their violent clash. When brought up, you just say "didn't happen this decade," like the time period matter in the discussion. You are sticking to your idea of these rioters ruining the protest like that's the issue and several posters have explained that if people really lose sympathy for our cause because of it, then they weren't allies from the beginning. I don't get what more you want us all to say to you? By now it's obvious that you're not on our side at all.

I've read all 15 pages of this thread, and the same behavior keeps popping up: As soon as some people see even the slightest bit of civil disobedience, they cleanse themselves of all sympathy towards the protestor's cause. All they want is one excuse to dismiss the protestors as the "other."

If you're going to be a shitbag, just come out and be a shitbag with pride. At the very least, you won't look like a coward.

You said it so I don't have to.

Cowards.

this showed up on my facebook feed today...

rFCam5j.jpg

backwards hanging flag, grape soda and a kfc bucket. smh

mine to (from a facebook friend who is applying to be a police officer)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...21.100000564766798&type=1&fref=nf&pnref=story

the caption:

This photo is in response to all those un-American black punks in Baltimore, chanting " Fuck America" while burning the U.S flag. As a proud American and coming from a long line of U.S Veterans, disrespecting our flag like that makes me furious beyond words. I love this country for the principles and foundation that it was built on. Countless people have died just so you have the right to disrespect and trash talk our country. If you honestly don't like it here in America, Then leave. It's as simple as that. If any of my friends have any American balls and aren't focused on that transgender washed out murderer, Then share this picture. I want this to reach Baltimore. Before anyone starts calling me a "Racist" or any of that crap, this picture is aimed at ANY pieces of shit that have burned the U.S flag. I have black friends/ old co-workers who also strongly disagree with Baltimore/Ferguson.

No one cares. Come back in 5 pages..shit ain't gonna change none. They really need to dig in..

BPoole

What is there to discuss with you, though? You used gay rights as a way to show us non violent protests works and then conveniently forgot about their violent clash. When brought up, you just say "didn't happen this decade," like the time period matter in the discussion. You are sticking to your idea of these rioters ruining the protest like that's the issue and several posters have explained that if people really lose sympathy for our cause because of it, then they weren't allies from the beginning. I don't get what more you want us all to say to you? By now it's obvious that you're not on our side at all.
I didn't forget about it. I am well aware of those riots but I thought it was worth mentioning sense it is also a social movement. I'm sorry that was taken the wrong way.

Racist Fucking Idiot said:
Countless people have died just so you have the right to disrespect and trash talk our country. If you honestly don't like it here in America, Then leave. It's as simple as that. If any of my friends have any American balls and aren't focused on that transgender washed out murderer, Then share this picture. I want this to reach Baltimore. Before anyone starts calling me a "Racist" or any of that crap, this picture is aimed at ANY pieces of shit that have burned the U.S flag. I have black friends..

A national treasure..

Rembrandt

Banned
I didn't forget about it. I am well aware of those riots but I thought it was worth mentioning sense it is also a social movement. I'm sorry that was taken the wrong way.

If you were well aware of it, why would you say that all of their public support and progress was done without violent protests?

Nobody took that the wrong way. Nobody.

Whose responsibility is it to corral the rioters? All parties agree they're a cancer. Should it be the cops? The peaceful protesters? Will the protesters support the police using force to stamp out the riots?

Whose responsibility is it to corral the rioters? All parties agree they're a cancer. Should it be the cops? The peaceful protesters? Will the protesters support the police using force to stamp out the riots?
Considering the family of the victim have come out against it, and other protesters have spoken out against it, I think it's safe to say that peace would indeed be supported..the rioters are NOT the majority.

You cant control a riot. Its inherent in the definition of a riot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom