• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on my Series X/PS5

Should I return my Series X?

• Return it, and try to build a PC.

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Just keep it.

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTK

Banned
I've had a PlayStation 5 Digital Edition since launch, I was originally planning to run with PC/PS5. PC for Xbok exclusives/shooters/competitive games and PS5 for single player and exclusive multiplayer games that will come out like TLOU and whatever all those partnerships end up putting out.

Well as everyone here knows, GPUs are not worth their above msrp drachmae so I was like let me get a Series X to replace my old dying PC.

NOTE: I'll be comparing Series X / PS5 on things I've noticed.

Series X Look/Hardware
- I like the design of the Series X, much smaller footprint than the PS5 and I've always been into vertical design for a console. I have to applaud both Sony and Microsoft this time around when it comes to console aesthetics, performance, and cooling solutions. Both strike me as solid built machines this time around. Makes the PS4/PS4 Pro feel like Fisher Price Toy with their aesthetics and loud ass fans. Small detail I've noticed, Series X is quieter than the PS5 and I believe it just has a better fan. While the PS5 fan at least in my console has a smile whine, it's barely noticeable and nowhere near as bad as PS4 Pro but it's there. I've also noticed that the Series X blows out hotter air than the PS5, I think this might be due to Series X possibly having a smaller heatsink than PS5 but the exhaust was noticeably hotter on the Series X.

So all in all pretty great machine with great aesthetics, performance, and cooling. No complaints here.

Series X Controller
- I love the shape of this controller, it fits well into my hands and triggers feel great. Feels better for me personally in hand than my DualSense, which is a great controller however the sharp edges at the end where your pinky rests is uncomfortable for me. I do have few complaints about the Series X controller, although the shape and triggers feel amazing. Quality. It just feels cheap when holding it in comparison to the DualSense, it's like the overall shell of the controller used cheaper/lighter version of plastic. I don't know how to explain it but if you have both in front of you DualSense feels premium, even though I prefer the Series X Controller in terms of comfort. But the biggest knock I have for the Series X controller is the batteries. I haven't used batteries in a controller since earlier Xbox consoles. This makes no sense to me, I just spent $499 on this console and now I have to swap out batteries every 2 weeks. This was a huge negative and I don't want to go buy an external recharging kit, I shouldn't have to. I like the PlayStation approach much better, play wireless and when the battery is running low plug it in.

Amazing shape/comfort/triggers, lacks quality finish and rechargeable batteries.

OS UI/UX
- I'm all about software, user interface, and user experience. I simply do not like, DO NOT LIKE what Microsoft has put out there. Same goes for Sony and the PS5. Please go back to PS3 OS or PS4 OS, for Microsoft go back to Xbox 360 OS. I slightly like PS5's OS over Series X but they are both pretty bad and shouldn't be celebrated. I don't understand what these folks are doing and if they even use the features because it feels like they don't. Not visually appealing and it takes extra steps to do simple tasks, and it some cases it can be confusing. I'm just not a fan of what either of these guys have presented us with this generation.

GamePass/Games
- I think GamePass is great but not right now. Once M$ has more exclusives out this generation the GamePass is going to be solid. Most games that are on GamePass that I'm interested in I've already purchased. They don't put 3rd Party big triple A games on GamePass day one so a lot of those that I'm interested in I will have already bought before they come out on GamePass. Also, I'm not big into going back to older games so I'm not the right audience for this service. However, as more Xbox exclusives come out, every Xbox owner should have GamePass. Don't worry Sony does PS+ which is the most useless service in existence. I've been PS+ Subscriber since day 1, I can't name 2 games that came out in the last 10+ years of that service that I've actually played. Again, games I'm interested in I've already bought. Games that come out on PS+ are either indie vaporware or old ass big games that I might already own. So for me I get nothing out of that service but ONLINE PLAY and that's sad.

Anyway, GamePass will just get better and better as time goes on if you're an Xbox gamer.

Well I've enjoyed the Halo beta but I can't form a solid opinion on it since the controls were bugged out which was really frustrating. Game looks good and has a lot of potential for online and maybe a BR in the future. Right now my Series X is just sitting there, nothing really to play until later this year in terms of Xbox exclusives. I think that's the biggest takeaway, with my personal taste in games there is nothing on the platform that I want to play at this moment, it's all few months to years down the road. So my Series X is sitting here now and I'm torn between keeping it or taking it back (maybe sell it to little timmy or something).

RECAP

Xbox Series X Review
Hardware is great, knocked it out of the park with performance, aesthetics, and cooling.
Series X Controller
Amazing shape and it feels great in the hand, lacks premium fit and finish. Battery situation is really hindering this controller, we're in 2021 get on board.
OS UI/UX
Get back to the drawing board (You as well Sony).
GamePass/Games
Needs time to start cranking out compelling exclusive software.

PS5 for Comparison
Hardware is great, great performance, aesthetics, and cooling.
DualSense
Built quality is premium, battery is great, not as comfortable of a controller for me personally.
OS UI/UX
Go back to PS3/4 OS, this new OS again is not as simple and too many steps to do things.
PS+/Games
Personally PS+ for me has always been useless and it keeps being useless. PS Exclusives are great and they've managed their development and releases much better than Microsoft.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Thoughts on PS5

Impressed

bill goldberg mic drop GIF by WWE

elliot5

Bro just buy eneloops they're like $12 for the pairs and wall charger. Never buy batteries again and you are never bound by a wire or need to make sure controllers are charged.

I would recommend a PC if the market wasn't so fucked right now, but you already have the xsx so might as well keep it. I can't imagine not using game pass beyond online offerings. Maybe you should try branching out and discovering new stuff

skit_data

I think it would be unnecessary to return your Series X now, since getting a PC with similar performance will be pretty expensive. Wait a few years, sell it and build a better PC.

PS5 is another story, as long as there are PS5 exclusives, there is a reason to have one.

HTK

Banned
Bro just buy eneloops they're like $12 for the pairs and wall charger. Never buy batteries again and you are never bound by a wire or need to make sure controllers are charged.

I would recommend a PC if the market wasn't so fucked right now, but you already have the xsx so might as well keep it. I can't imagine not using game pass beyond online offerings. Maybe you should try branching out and discovering new stuff
Oh I've branched out enough trust me. I'm a bit older so TIME is extremely tight so when I do have it I have to utilize it on my 1st game choices. But like I said, GamePass is great and it will only get better.

MikeM

Build a gaming PC only if:
- You want a questionable prebuilt.
- You want to get ripped off on GPU pricing.

I'm kind of in your position. Own a Ps5 and Series X and will be building a gaming PC. I'm just not willing to be part of the problem in supporting these astronomical costs. These consoles have blown me away, so no rush either.

If you do elect to get rid of the Series X, sell it. Give someone you potentially know access to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTK
Sounds like you basically just wrote that they're the same, but the Xbox controller isn't quite as premium feeling as the PS5 controller. I'd agree with that. They're pretty similar. Dualsense is a better controller, but they're both fine.

I'd give MS a nod personally for GP, and Xcloud, and backwards compatibility. Hard for me to overstate how nice it feels to be able to play an old game with performance improvements without hooking up another system.

I don't game on PC, but if you're into that it sounds like you'll be able able to get most stuff from both systems eventually.

Well as everyone here knows, GPUs are not worth their above msrp
You already answered your own question. It seems you like your Series X but the content isn't there for you yet.

You bought a console (Series X) to fit the spot of a PC? Is gaming all you do on a PC? Do you have any investment on a PC ecosystem? Steam library or any other? It seems like an odd choice if you do.

If it feels redundant to you, sell it and eventually get a PC or buy a Series X again when Game Pass gets to the state you expect it to be worth the investment.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I feel the complete opposite on the controler. While the triggers are nice on the Sony one everything else is leaps better on the Xbox.

Swapable batteries are just a superior option.

1st gen durability issues seem more forgiving on the Xbox controller as well.

HTK

Banned
Build a gaming PC only if:
- You want a questionable prebuilt.
- You want to get ripped off on GPU pricing.

I'm kind of in your position. Own a Ps5 and Series X and will be building a gaming PC. I'm just not willing to be part of the problem in supporting these astronomical costs. These consoles have blown me away, so no rush either.

If you do elect to get rid of the Series X, sell it. Give someone you potentially know access to it.
This.

I cannot stand the Pre-Built space, never have and never will and I will not support them. I simply don't want to overpay for shitty quality PC. I've compared my builds to theirs and the differences in performance, quality parts, and price are astronomical.

My Build w/ Quality Parts and Better Overall Performance
$2700 at MSRP

Pre-Built
Shitty parts, shitty performance
$5,000 at their version of MSRP

No, thanks! I rather wait 1 year...2 years...3 years...whenever the market bounces back in that space.

Hunnybun

I only have a PS5.

No major complaints, really. Fast loading is a revelation, and the few proper next gen games I've played are really impressive.

Console is basically silent; the controller is good but hardly the revolution people were talking about. I could probably still take or leave the haptics tbh.

The apparent standardisation of performance modes is really a massive unexpected bonus. I'd say from the evidence so far that the consoles are capable of a generational leap in visuals, at 4k30, with RT on top. That's pretty much beyond my expectations, and with checkerboarding etc then we can probably look forward to roughly equivalent clarity at 60fps, so all good, really.

Personally, so far I've found high resolutions of like 1800p and above to be preferable to RT, although that depends quite a lot on how close to the screen I am.

I'd like to get a Series X but the new PSVR will be out next year I think, and I'm expecting big things from that. 2023 is probably the time for an Xbox tbh, cos the release schedule looks like it'll be pretty dry until then anyway.

I'd like to get a Series X but the new PSVR will be out next year I think, and I'm expecting big things from that. 2023 is probably the time for an Xbox tbh, cos the release schedule looks like it'll be pretty dry until then anyway.
It doesn't have many huge AAA exclusives obviously, and probably not a ton of them next year either.

What finally clicked for me is that I actually love many AA games. I also have gotten in the habit of buying a ton of indie games on Switch, but lately I've seen many indies raise prices to $30 and $40. It's too expensive to keep up with it as an impulse purchase.

Xbox GP shines for me on lots of titles I'd otherwise skip. For example, The Good Life is coming out Oct. 15th day one on GP. Is that a big time game for people? No, not at all. But it's a Swery game (Deadly Premonition, etc.) and I'm sure it's going to be more than $15. Just off that alone, that makes October worth it to me, and we're going to get many more games than that for October. Last month, Scarlet Nexus alone pays for like 2-3 months in value. Aragami 2 was like $40, which I'd never buy. Astoria Ascending is $40. The list goes on. August, Psychonauts 2 more than paid for the month (actually pays for like 4 months). If you don't like playing indie and AA games, I'd wait until 2023. If you like trying new stuff though on a frequent basis then it's a great supplement to a PS5 right now, and it's honestly saving me a lot of money. When MS actually drops some big games on it, it's going to be even better.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
PS5 has two advantages over XSX for me.

1) UI. I'm figuring Xbox UI out but it isn't very intuitive. I like PS5's better.
2) Headset sound options. This is the big one for me. With PS5, I added a bluetooth adapter and can now use any wireless headset I want. With XSX, I have to either buy a second officially licensed headset or go wired. I'm used to my premium headset so I'm currently using the wired option. Having to pay an extra $100 to use true wireless is not cool.

XSX has one big advantage and that is Microsoft Rewards which allows me to have Game Pass at no cost.

I could use either of the standard Xbox or DualSense controllers and wouldn't think twice about it. Elite Series 2, however, is still the best to me.

Overall, both consoles are great. I still use my gaming PC as well but I like to jump around between consoles and PC.

Swapable batteries are just a superior option.

Not for me. The fact that Elite Series 2 has a built-in rechargeable battery is a big reason why it is my favorite controller.

Last edited:
DualSense
Built quality is premium, battery is great

Agree with most of your points but these above, not so sure. If you're playing a game that makes use of those adaptive triggers specifically the controller feels like it's going to both break out of its casing any time and the battery lasts a few hours maximum.

Hunnybun

It doesn't have many huge AAA exclusives obviously, and probably not a ton of them next year either.

What finally clicked for me is that I actually love many AA games. I also have gotten in the habit of buying a ton of indie games on Switch, but lately I've seen many indies raise prices to $30 and $40. It's too expensive to keep up with it as an impulse purchase.

Xbox GP shines for me on lots of titles I'd otherwise skip. For example, The Good Life is coming out Oct. 15th day one on GP. Is that a big time game for people? No, not at all. But it's a Swery game (Deadly Premonition, etc.) and I'm sure it's going to be more than $15. Just off that alone, that makes October worth it to me, and we're going to get many more games than that for October. Last month, Scarlet Nexus alone pays for like 2-3 months in value. Aragami 2 was like $40, which I'd never buy. Astoria Ascending is $40. The list goes on. August, Psychonauts 2 more than paid for the month (actually pays for like 4 months). If you don't like playing indie and AA games, I'd wait until 2023. If you like trying new stuff though on a frequent basis then it's a great supplement to a PS5 right now, and it's honestly saving me a lot of money. When MS actually drops some big games on it, it's going to be even better.

I don't play many Indie games. I don't really even know why, other than that I do really enjoy amazing graphics.

If I had GP then I'd definitely try loads more - I got Rime for free via PS+ and LOVED it - but it'd be a bonus on top of stuff like Forza, Halo etc.

I don't play many Indie games. I don't really even know why, other than that I do really enjoy amazing graphics.

If I had GP then I'd definitely try loads more - I got Rime for free via PS+ and LOVED it - but it'd be a bonus on top of stuff like Forza, Halo etc.
Just know that's the bulk of it. The GP model currently is mostly AA and indies. Then all MS first party stuff. Then maybe 1 bigger third party game a month (Back 4 Blood, Avengers, Scarlet Nexus, etc). The bulk is indies and AA smaller games so you have to be into those to take full advantage of it.

Last edited:
Series X is so much better even down to how easy it is to transfers your old saves to the new system and you don't need a bloody USB cable to update the Joypad or Headphones like for the PSV.

Warnen

Not for me. The fact that Elite Series 2 has a built-in rechargeable battery is a big reason why it is my favorite controller.

Cools enjoy plugging in mid game when battery dies or opening a controller (and pray u can get it back together) to replace when the controller doesn’t hold a charge for long any more.

had so many ps4 controllers that didn’t last very long and had to set to charge after every time I played.

HTK

Banned
Agree with most of your points but these above, not so sure. If you're playing a game that makes use of those adaptive triggers specifically the controller feels like it's going to both break out of its casing any time and the battery lasts a few hours maximum.
For my gaming sessions which can be anywhere between 1hr - 5hrs I haven't had any issues in terms of battery life or needing to pause my gaming to charge battery. I also recently bought an extra controller so even if that is the case I rather swap the controller while the other charges.

When I say build quality I don't specifically think about the adaptive triggers, in fact all those adaptive triggers and haptic feedback I don't care about and turn off. I mean in general when holding the two controllers side by side the DualSense feels more premium, however I prefer the Series X controller in terms of actual hand rest and comfort.

in fact all those adaptive triggers and haptic feedback I don't care about and turn off. I mean in general when holding the two controllers side by side the DualSense feels more premium, however I prefer the Series X controller in terms of actual hand rest and comfort.

ah if you turn it off you're saving the motors so no wonder if feels solid and battery lasts longer so with that said I agree that it definitely feels more premium in general than the Xbox's controller

Keep both. I was going to get rid of my Series X and do the same thing but the steamdeck became available for preorder so that will give me my fix for PC stuff for the time until prices go down plus it's a handheld which I haven't had in a while.

Topher

Gold Member
Cools enjoy plugging in mid game when battery dies or opening a controller (and pray u can get it back together) to replace when the controller doesn’t hold a charge for long any more.

had so many ps4 controllers that didn’t last very long and had to set to charge after every time I played.

"Cools" enjoy pretending you know what issues I have with rechargeable controllers. I always have more than one controller regardless of what system I have. Switching out controllers on a regular basis helps improve the longevity in my experience. So the "superior option" is the one that works best for you.

Reactions: HTK

HTK

Banned
ah if you turn it off you're saving the motors so no wonder if feels solid and battery lasts longer so with that said I agree that it definitely feels more premium in general than the Xbox's controller
I feel like most of those features like SixAxis, Rumble, Adaptive Triggers, Haptic motors w/e are just a gimmick and distracting when I play games. I might turn it on if I'm playing single player but even then it becomes more distracting than it's worth. It manages to take me out of the experience rather than enhancing it. They are just gimmicks, get rid of all of that and put a bigger battery and I'll be happy with that.

HTK

Banned
"Cools" enjoy pretending you know what issues I have with rechargeable controllers. I always have more than one controller regardless of what system I have. Switching out controllers on a regular basis helps improve the longevity in my experience. So the "superior option" is the one that works best for you.
I agree with this. Since the PS3 era with the DualShock 3 I've never had battery actually fail on me where I would have to get rid of the controller entirely. Also, I rather have 2 controllers to obviously never worry about if the battery runs out because you just swap them out and it also helps with controllers longevity in general like you said.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'd say stick with both consoles and enjoy the best of both worlds, because PC parts aren't getting any cheaper anytime soon.

PS3 OS or PS4 OS

PS4 OS feels dated and archaic, but PS3 on the other hand... XMB is the pinnacle of the UI/UX I ever witnessed in consumer electronics, it's so simple, so intuitive, so natural, and so beautiful at the same time, it's literally perfection.

M$

Really? We’re still doing this?

I felt at least 15 years younger when reading that lol, someone should tell OP that it's 2021 and we're using $ony now.

Warnen

So instead of extra set of enlopes the answer is buy more controllers? Cools never thought of that one.

Topher

Gold Member
If you need to pretend user swappable batteries are a bad thing then you be you

Who said swappable batteries were a bad thing?

Jim Carrey What GIF

You seem to be having a conversation with someone else so no idea why you are even quoting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom