• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Open World Superman Demo looks amazing

Soodanim

Gold Member
Looks more like a Goku game to me with those Kamehamehas he’s throwing out.

I don’t know how they could ever make a Superman game feel satisfying. Even a nerfed iteration is too strong for Earth, and Superman somewhere else wouldn’t really work.

OP video is a video about a video about a video at the very least, but I don’t know how far back the chain really goes.

Orta

Banned
Been fooling about with it for a few minutes. Controls are a bit fiddly and there is a slight language barrier but on the whole it seems pretty harmless fun. The sensation of flight coupled with speed bursts is a blast, will give it a go with a controller, might handle a bit smoother.

Certainly worth a download and its free so why not.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
teamwork GIF

Belmonte

Not only I want a Superman game like this but I think Clark should do Kamehamehas from now on.

Obviously it would be boring against common criminals but put Brainiac armies and other powerful villains like Darkseid and things will get crazy.

Umbral

Very cool demo.

What bothers me about these types of videos is that everyone loses their minds over them because it looks cool and it is truly impressive what one developer did, however, how does this demo translate into an 8 hour game, let alone a 30+ hour game?

What is there here that would make a good game? People act as if the professional developers never thought of or prototyped something like this. You think someone from Rocksteady watched this and then went “Oh shit! Why didn’t we think of that?”

Edit: See above video thumbnail. No, it’s not INSANE! It’s what you would expect and someone made it. It’s impressive, really, but it’s not INSANE!

Last edited:

Larxia

I didn't know a full game was planned with this project, that's really nice to hear!
For people who don't know (althoug the video does mention it so you probably know now), a first concept demo of this was released as a little game on steam a while ago, and it's really fun:

Very cool demo.

What bothers me about these types of videos is that everyone loses their minds over them because it looks cool and it is truly impressive what one developer did, however, how does this demo translate into an 8 hour game, let alone a 30+ hour game?

What is there here that would make a good game? People act as if the professional developers never thought of or prototyped something like this. You think someone from Rocksteady watched this and then went “Oh shit! Why didn’t we think of that?”

Edit: See above video thumbnail. No, it’s not INSANE! It’s what you would expect and someone made it. It’s impressive, really, but it’s not INSANE!
The demo available on steam is actually really good and fun to play. It's short but I really enjoyed it and I could definitely see it as a 10+ hours game since I wanted more content when I was done with the demo, I played it for about 2 hours.

Also when you say "as if the professional developers never thought of or prototyped something like this", honestly I'm not sure what to think about this because sometimes it really feel like some big AAA games have obvious design problems that shouldn't even exist, so it could be the same for game ideas, they just don't think about it, or it never got approved by publishers.
Also if we go with this logic, that would mean that every game idea worth being made would have already been made then, with never any new thing lol.

Kenpachii

This game really reminds me of special earth forces mod for half life

straight up the best dragon ball z game ever made, and it was done in the half life 1 area. nothing beats it.

Last edited:

Umbral

I didn't know a full game was planned with this project, that's really nice to hear!
For people who don't know (althoug the video does mention it so you probably know now), a first concept demo of this was released as a little game on steam a while ago, and it's really fun:

The demo available on steam is actually really good and fun to play. It's short but I really enjoyed it and I could definitely see it as a 10+ hours game since I wanted more content when I was done with the demo, I played it for about 2 hours.
That’s good to hear. What is in the video is impressive. Some games I can play happily for hundreds of hours and others are a slog after 3 or 4. It was not my intent to diminish what that developer made, so I hope it didn’t come across that way.
Also when you say "as if the professional developers never thought of or prototyped something like this", honestly I'm not sure what to think about this because sometimes it really feel like some big AAA games have obvious design problems that shouldn't even exist, so it could be the same for game ideas, they just don't think about it, or it never got approved by publishers.
That is a very fair point. I don’t know what goes on in there but I do know that making games is very difficult. There are plenty of obvious flaws in AAA games that were either missed or pushed through anyway. No argument there.

It’s more about the comments like “Why the fuck didn’t Rocksteady do something like this?”

I’m sure they prototyped Superman and perhaps had something similar to this. It’s also possible that WB gave them like 4 weeks to come up with something and then just said “Make another Batman.”
Also if we go with this logic, that would mean that every game idea worth being made would have already been made then, with never any new thing lol.
My point was that the over the top hype is unwarranted. There are cool game mechanics and design ideas that pop up here and there and they are impressive, but I try to think of how something would play out over a long period of play time.

Larxia

My point was that the over the top hype is unwarranted. There are cool game mechanics and design ideas that pop up here and there and they are impressive, but I try to think of how something would play out over a long period of play time.
That's fair, it's something I see all the time when people make some kind of unreal engine prototype like this, everyone goes "this looks better than AAA games!", and it's also like this for many other things, like someone will make a quick 30 sec fan animation about something and people will be "it looks so much better than the official movie", people like to fantasize about what they don't / can't have, without trying to put it in realistic context and expectations. So I totally understand what you mean.

But in the case of this game, the Undefeated demo was already quite fun with really good sensations, I think the potential for a full lenght game could be there, the challenges you face just have to balance the amount of power you have. It would work quite well as a very arcade, scoring, maybe boss rush-ish type of game.

Top Bottom