• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They should cancel last gen versions of GOW Ragnorak and HZD Forbidden West

Woggleman

These are two highly anticipated sequels to popular first party Sony games and they should both be showcases of what the PS5 can do. They should push the release dates to 2022 and really use the full power of the PS5. HZD was a showcase of what the PS4 pro could do and the sequel could be the same thing for the new gen console and the sequel to GOW could be as well. Don't make the same mistake CDPR did and release versions that are vastly inferior on last gen consoles.

mortal

Gold Member
I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm not so sure Sony are willing to leave money on the table.

The fact that both titles will have to also run on 8 year old hardware dampened my excitement to an extent tbh.
Makes me think either developer can't go all out with the visuals or scale.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm not so sure Sony are willing to leave the money on the table.

The fact that both titles will have to also need to run on 8 year old hardware dampened my excitement to an extent tbh.
Make me think either developer can't go all out the visuals or scale.
After seeing the Cyberpunk thing Sony might just want to go with the best versions of the game. I am sure that situation made a lot of people rethink their plans.

mcjmetroid

Hey cmon, now CD Project Red were absolutely incompetent keeping those last gen ports going and their handling of the situation afterwards.. arguably worse than the port itself.

Sony games won't make the same mistake.... Ever..
If they say it can run on the PS4 then it can. Their first party support has been stellar for years now. They've earned a loyal following CD Project Red should still have.

Fbh

Both games are probably way too far into development for it to make any difference.

They've been built from the ground up taking last gen into account. Dropping PS4 won't magically change that unless they wan to delay them for like 2 years to make big changes.

Also keep in mind that having a last gen version doesn't mean they can't make big improvement to the next gen one. Keep in mind games like the Witcher 3 and Doom eternal are on Switch and they are still considered by many to be among the best games in their respective genres on PS4 and Xb1

Last edited:

kyliethicc

You'e assuming God of War is cross gen. It may be, but we don't know yet.

And as for Horizon, its just a PS4 game, so why care. It'll be well made and run fine on PS4. And on PS5 it'll be a bit better.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Should they, when they cannot give people enough PS5 to return costs and stuff like that? I mean, sure it would be ideal from perspective of a player, not really sure if that would make financial sense.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All care about is I hope Ragnorak has better enemy verity and proper boss fights than the last game......I think I'm done fighting same HP sponge troll fight for 100th time.

As for HZD, I hated the first game and have zero interest getting its sequel.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
These are two highly anticipated sequels to popular first party Sony games and they should both be showcases of what the PS5 can do. They should push the release dates to 2022 and really use the full power of the PS5. HZD was a showcase of what the PS4 pro could do and the sequel could be the same thing for the new gen console and the sequel to GOW could be as well. Don't make the same mistake CDPR did and release versions that are vastly inferior on last gen consoles.

Last I heard, Sony's been boosting the sizes of their 1st-party studios (Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Naughty Dog) quite aggressively, so they can produce 2 or more AAA titles in parallel.
This is why GoW 2018's Cory Barlog is already working on a new game, despite Ragnarok coming out this year.

If your concern is the amount of resources Sony's 1st party studios can throw at the games to make them "properly next-gen" and coming out on time, that point may already be covered.
For all we know, Horizon Forbidden West may be using a different engine and different assets between the PS4 and PS5 versions.
As for Ragnarok, we don't know if it's coming to the PS4, yet.

NahaNago

Yeah way too late for that they probably are already nearing the polishing stage for hzd forbidden west at least who knows about GOW. PS fanboys can simply take the L on this one. These two games won't fare that badly with last gen since they are making a sequels. The only issue is what could have been if the game had been next gen only. I'm guessing we won't get a true next gen exclusive game until Naughty dog releases a game .

RCU005

I'm not going to defend Jim Ryan for his comment about "We believe in generations" because he said it knowing fully that those games were coming to the PS4. However, it was not his fault. Those games have been in development way before he became CEO of SIE. He might even be against it, but obviously he wouldn't do anything about it.

I hope that Sony announce new games exclusive to PS5 sometime before those games launch.

Topher

Gold Member
Cancel? Are you from....gulp.....the future?

back to the future great scott GIF

Last edited:
Sony is selling PS5's at a loss and you also want them to stop selling their exclusives on PS4's? do you want them to go bankrupt dude? they sold their office building in 2013 after the PS3 so they really need that cash.

HZD looks almost the same as the first part. We just getting RTX and 4K 60? FPS. It doesn't look some generational leap to warrant a PS5 only title.

Sure they will when each ps5 owner pays 50x the price...

Lol what does that even mean ? ...

There not going to pass up sales when there's millions upon millions of PS4 owners out there still and will be for the next couple of years, I fully trust them to make a PS4 version whilst still offering ps5 version that offers a substantial upgrade over it's PS4 counterpart it's a first party title afterall they will go all out .

longdi

Banned
yes it is the right thing to do if they are so called #4theplayers - we believe in generations.

I am also suspecting Hzd:Fw trailer that was shown, seems more likely a 1fps realtime offline render now.

Justin9mm

Personally I would love them to be next gen only exclusives but from an educated business perspective I don't think it would be wise considering these games are due to be released early in the next gen(current gen) cycle as there is still low adoption of the console.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Lol what does that even mean ? ...

There not going to pass up sales when there's millions upon millions of PS4 owners out there still and will be for the next couple of years, I fully trust them to make a PS4 version whilst still offering ps5 version that offers a substantial upgrade over it's PS4 counterpart it's a first party title afterall they will go all out .

yeah if each ps5 owner bought 50 copies might be worth it to them not to make a PS4 version but like you said there are way to many PS4 out there to drag down next gen.

bitbydeath

A lot of people are already shocked by Horizon 2’s graphics, some even going as far as thinking it’s CGI.

You don’t get any better praise than that!

Why are people acting like cross generation games are some sort of new concept? Literally every system ever has been supported with games for 2-3 years after the successor comes out. They get COD, Assassins Creed, Sports Titles, other games etc...

Cyberpunk is a massively ambitious title that was built for PC. It not running well on older systems should not be shocking, but this is not a problem that has plagued other cross generation games. It was the exception, not the rule.

Furthermore I would think Sony would know how to optimize their games for their consoles a whole lot better than 3ed party developers. I highly doubt they are keeping features out of these games just because of PS4 limitations.

OrtizTwelve

Sony isn’t going to ignore the install base of over 100 million PS4s... especially considering there won’t be that many PS5s out in the wild in 2021 given all the chaos going on...

There won’t be true big ticket PS5 only exclusives (no PS4) from Sony until 2022 - 2023.

It’s all about $$$.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They need to deliver more PS5's before they can cut off the lifeline that is the PS4 install base. There may not be enough PS5 consoles out there to be able to recoup the cost of their AAA games. Not everyone who has a console is going to buy a copy of these games. At least not at full price.

Derktron

Banned
No, what a stupid and ignorant thing to say, gamers are really stupid these days, first off yeah you are right to a certain point but right now I don't think Sony should kill off the millions and millions and millions and the millions and millions and millions and the millions and millions and millions and the millions and millions and millions and the millions and millions and millions and the millions and millions and millions and of gamers who still don't have the chance to even upgrade to the PS5 yet. I have a feeling that PS5 is going to be rare until 2023 or 2024. When I see the PS5 being in Walmart and not being sold out within 10 seconds of being out. Then I can agree with you and your stupid thread. But in a meantime, Sony is doing just fine with them releasing these two games on the PS4 in the meantime.

Top Bottom