• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's Not a Single PS5, PS4 Game in the Japanese Sales Charts (Is Sony losing Japanese ground)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

Banned
None of those IP that square own are worth buying the publisher for imo, some of them are dead or insignificant like Blood Omen or Outriders. Life is strange sold 3 million copies but was available on every platform imaginable at the time including mobile, if you take all but PlayStation away there you lose well over half of the IP's value and it's not a strong enough franchise to get people who don't have a PlayStation to buy one.

Like I said earlier buying up a publisher is bad for the industry, the only reason MS was able to get Bethesda was because they were looking to be sold and were a private company. Anyone else would have been a much bigger headache because they are all publicly traded companies so you have to worry about investors etc. It's not good for the industry to have MS or Sony buying up these companies. Buying up a developer here and there sure that's fine but publishers should be off limits and generally are because of the cost.

I have a PS5 and a Series X so I'm fine either way but I'd hate to see people who want to play games that were always multiplatform before have to buy a piece of equipment they aren't all that interested in just to play a game or two that they really love. That's basically predatory and it's right up Microsoft's alley, that's how they run every other part of their business and it's why it cracks me up when I see people on forums like this acting as if they are the underdog.
May not be nice but they should do it anyway.... they lost all Zenimax games and now it's time to return the favor.

If they don't do it, they are just folding.... Xbox can do it over and over again if they want and not responding is just weakness. That's how that appears to Microsoft.
They will use the opportunity to walk all over the industry.

I don't understand why people do not want competition. Competition applys to everything, exclusives, acquisitions, services, controllers.

Right now PlayStation are not competing in several areas and are giving me as a customer far less than they should be. I'm finding their performance very disappointing.

Astral Dog

Yes, but they will recover eventually, the key is big hitters that can't be played on Switch due to tech limitations, PS5 already has FFXVI and many more will come. Have patience

Its good that the Switch is doing so well in japan though, gives developers more option than just the AAA western market

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Mostly correct. Sony didnt abandon PSP, it sold like 80+ million units. More than the 3DS and same as the Gameboy Advance.
Abandoning the portable market is where Sony is failing
Whoops, my bad. Meant to say portable consoles.

Still don't get it why they abandoned though. Their "mobile phones" excuse makes no sense.

assurdum

Banned
Have they released anything in the last two months that would show up on a Japanese chart?
Quite good point. I don't remind a single game interesting for the Japanese audience from awhile. It's not like suddenly western games appealing them just because run on ps5.

Last edited:
Japan has really moved over to mobile. So things like switch will do well but Sony is losing ground obviously. Not too surprising unless demographics change back to consoles.

Kokoloko85

Whoops, my bad. Meant to say portable consoles.

Still don't get it why they abandoned though. Their "mobile phones" excuse makes no sense.

Yeah I know.
The Vita didnt do good at all, and it spread there studios thinner so that overall failure was probably the reason they gave up.

Now that the portable technology is way better, with the Switch showing you can have 4 shoulder buttons and port current gen games, along with Steam Deck doing the same thing with even newer games, it might bring Sony back into the portable market. I hope so anyway

It wont spread there studios because they won’t need to make separate games. Plus Im sure they won’t make the memory card mistake either lmao

And yeah fuck mobile phone games.

Hinedorf

Banned
Sony doesn't release video games anymore, or at least not this year. I cannot understand the console sales with a complete lack of reason to have one.

IMO the way Sony has treated the PS5 pushing back the big name titles for well over a year is just bullshit, bad business, and have pretty much lost me as a consumer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
May not be nice but they should do it anyway.... they lost all Zenimax games and now it's time to return the favor.

If they don't do it, they are just folding.... Xbox can do it over and over again if they want and not responding is just weakness. That's how that appears to Microsoft.

I don't understand why people do not want competition. Competition applys to everything, exclusives, acquisitions, services, controllers.

Right now PlayStation are not competing in several areas and are giving me as a customer far less than they should be. I'm finding their performance very disappointing.
I dont care for Japanese titles. I look at the Nintendo lineup and not a single game outside of the Zelda, Metroid and Mario trio attracts me.

But WRPGs, online shooters, first person shooters, I cannot wrap my head around Sony literally abandoning those genres. The Zenimax acquisition has exposed just how few WRPGs and first person shooters the PS4 really had. You take out Doom, Doom Eternal, Skyrim remastered, Fallout 5, Fallout 76 and Prey and things look rather empty.

I for one am glad that Sony has lost Japanese ground. That means they are focusing on AAA games I want to play. But WRPG, FPS and online shooters are a huge market in the West and they cannot lose ground there. Halo is coming out this year, they have no online shooter to compete with. Starfield next year. No WRPG to compete with. Redfall a PvE shooter. Not a single PvE shooter of their own. Japan Studios is gone so no Japanese games on the horizon either. So it's like they are willing to let the Japanese market go (again fine by me) and also a huge chunk of the western market as well?

Something's gotta change over at Sony. They talk about 25 new games in development. Well, lets see them. Give me a KZ, Resistance and Socom reboot in the next year or two. Give an RPG that isnt an action adventure game with dialogue trees like Horizon.

GrayFoxPL

TIHGPRK.png

EDMIX

they have been losing ground step by step for the last 2 generations, so yes. Japan is all about mobile these days, and PC is becoming more relevant as well, which doesn't help

Agreed, I was about to say wasn't Wii U also failing regardless of region? So I don't think this is a Sony vs Nintendo thing as much as its home console vs portable thing...

MrHydra933BR MrHydra933BR "That's what happens when you only make western-focused games and censor japanese games." Nah, I disagree.

Didn't the Wii U fail despite clearly making Japanese games?

This directly shows the market isn't doing this cause they hate games, its more to do with portable vs home console. As to why Wii U failed, yet the same fucking games moved record units on Switch.

Wii U had the same titles....failed.

Switch gets the ports, does record numbers....

We sure this is based on "western-focused games" vs " Japanese games" when such a thing occurs? So I think the portable market is massive and even putting the same fucking game on home console will not net you the same result. So If Nintendo themselves can fail in Japan and around the world with Wii U with great JAPANESE software, we can't really blame "western-focused games" on this situation when Sony has done a mixture of both for generations.

ie God Of War, Twisted Metal, Socom, Spyro, Crash etc They have a long history of supporting both concepts and its stupid to pretend the records they broke with Spiderman, The Last Of Us, Horizion etc is now magically a "bad" thing lol foh

Last edited:

Fredrik

Bigger userbase means more games on sales charts, a game needs to sell to a much bigger percentage of PS4/5 users than Switch users to reach the charts. I don’t have any new numbers but it wouldn’t surprise me of Switch is 2:1 ahead of PS4 and PS5 combined.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I dont care for Japanese titles. I look at the Nintendo lineup and not a single game outside of the Zelda, Metroid and Mario trio attracts me.

But WRPGs, online shooters, first person shooters, I cannot wrap my head around Sony literally abandoning those genres. The Zenimax acquisition has exposed just how few WRPGs and first person shooters the PS4 really had. You take out Doom, Doom Eternal, Skyrim remastered, Fallout 5, Fallout 76 and Prey and things look rather empty.

I for one am glad that Sony has lost Japanese ground. That means they are focusing on AAA games I want to play. But WRPG, FPS and online shooters are a huge market in the West and they cannot lose ground there. Halo is coming out this year, they have no online shooter to compete with. Starfield next year. No WRPG to compete with. Redfall a PvE shooter. Not a single PvE shooter of their own. Japan Studios is gone so no Japanese games on the horizon either. So it's like they are willing to let the Japanese market go (again fine by me) and also a huge chunk of the western market as well?

Something's gotta change over at Sony. They talk about 25 new games in development. Well, lets see them. Give me a KZ, Resistance and Socom reboot in the next year or two. Give an RPG that isnt an action adventure game with dialogue trees like Horizon.

I agree and before the MSFT / Zenimax buyout was announced I was saying that they would match Sony perfectly..... it would have filled all the gaps in their catalog pretty much. Such a shame they didn't feel their customers were worth the investment. It really annoys me.

The only one of those IP's I see could explode in popularity is Socom.

They need more studios covering more genres for sure. They should be 1st party and fully exclusive.

There's no stealth game either.
Bungie would be cool but I think they are waiting on Deviation / Firewalk to mature.

I dunno who they could turn to for a decent WRPG, even less options for an exclusive. EA own Bioware and they are closer to Xbox. CDPR are also closer to Xbox and CP2077 was a disaster and they are still very expensive so they can't really be bought.

Kokoloko85

I agree and before the MSFT / Zenimax buyout was announced I was saying that they would match Sony perfectly..... it would have filled all the gaps in their catalog pretty much. Such a shame they didn't feel their customers were worth the investment. It really annoys me.

The only one of those IP's I see could explode in popularity is Socom.

They need more studios covering more genres for sure. They should be 1st party and fully exclusive.

There's no stealth game either.
Bungie would be cool but I think they are waiting on Deviation / Firewalk to mature.

I dunno who they could turn to for a decent WRPG, even less options for an exclusive. EA own Bioware and they are closer to Xbox. CDPR are also closer to Xbox and CP2077 was a disaster and they are still very expensive so they can't really be bought.

I think they would need to build a new team for a WRPG as most teams out there just havent done a good job in the last decade including Bethesda at WRPG’s. Horizon could also be converted into a WRPG with a bit more effort lol but Im not sure if they is a good idea or not.

Personally I think buying Sega would be awesome for Playstation.
Titles like Yakuza, Virtual Fighter, Total War and Football Manager would be good for them. And they would get a bunch of Atlus games and JRPG’s like Persona, Disgaea, SMT, 13 Sentinels and Catherine like games which are big for the Japanese market.

Plus they would have a bunch of Classic Franchises and IP’s they can work with from platformers to more JRPG’s like Panzer Dragoon, Shining series, Valkyrie Chronicles, Phantasy Star and loads more

Also Square and Capcom would be huge but I feel Capcom and Sega have more varied franchises than Square

But yeah Playstations gaps are 1st person shooters and WRPG’s atm. But knucling down on JRPG’S, adventure games and Fighters could be just as useful

Last edited:
People say its because of mobile no if it was because of mobile arcades would be dead "which they arent" sony killed the jp audience with censorship and throwing devs that paid out of pocket to support the vita in the trash bin. Anyone with a brain would be pissed at what sony did to the jp devs DMC5 censored, DOA censored, atlier, Senran, Neptunia, same thing Anime manga tie in games like One piece world seeker 1 million Arthur and psycho pass mandatory happiness censored. But we will have Game of thrones, Sin city and GTA 5 as front page ads on the psn store along with any other R rated movie you can thank of.

Reactions: Isa
For all this talk about 🇯🇵 going handheld I would like there to be a survey of how much they are playing Switch games in front of 📺 vs on a train, on a break etc. Just out of curiosity. Maybe it’s not as black/white as we think it is.
people in japan are still playing in front of tvs and monitors and everything else in between i know a few people over there and people still play in front of tvs.

Bryank75

Banned
I think they would need to build a new team for a WRPG as most teams out there just havent done a good job in the last decade including Bethesda at WRPG’s. Horizon could also be converted into a WRPG with a bit more effort lol but Im not sure if they is a good idea or not.

Personally I think buying Sega would be awesome for Playstation.
Titles like Yakuza, Virtual Fighter, Total War and Football Manager would be good for them. And they would get a bunch of Atlus games and JRPG’s like Persona, Disgaea, SMT, 13 Sentinels and Catherine like games which are big for the Japanese market.

Plus they would have a bunch of Classic Franchises and IP’s they can work with from platformers to more JRPG’s like Panzer Dragoon, Shining series, Valkyrie Chronicles, Phantasy Star and loads more

Also Square and Capcom would be huge but I feel Capcom and Sega have more varied franchises than Square

But yeah Playstations gaps are 1st person shooters and WRPG’s atm. But knucling down on JRPG’S, adventure games and Fighters could be just as useful

I agree and I actually think Sega is the best value to buy of all of them.

PS need stuff in the AA space like Yakuza and then Bayonetta would be very iconic to have as 1st party.

Persona & SMT are huge with the PS crowd too.

Sonic films would also be a great get.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I agree and I actually think Sega is the best value to buy of all of them.

PS need stuff in the AA space like Yakuza and then Bayonetta would be very iconic to have as 1st party.

Persona & SMT are huge with the PS crowd too.

Sonic films would also be a great get.

Make it happen Dude. I know you and Ryan are pals :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Isn’t there a rule in Japan, that they dont sell major companies to foreigners?
Sony isnt foreign though so they better do it lol

Last edited:
Surprising but not completely unexpected.
Japanese gamers are mostly on mobile and handhelds these days, Sony has nothing to offer that market. Add to it that they've almost completely move their software development to the west and the average japanese player doesn't seem to have much to look forward to on ps5 aside from a couple of timed exclusives from time to time.

It will be interesting to see how this affects higher budget Japanese games. With these sales it's safe to assume games like Final Fantasy, Tales of Arise and even Yakuza are getting most of their sales from the west these days.

The problem is also on the software side, not just the hardware.
Look at the top 20 best sellers in Japan on any given month, it's usually dominated by Nintendo first party games.

Japanese players won't rush to buy a Vita 2 to play The Last of us and Horizon.
True. Very good point.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's actually bigger than my flat which is only 46 sq m :p
but I am not sure if I agree with japanese use of space... I have 20 meters less but have separate bedroom, kitchen and 2 big sliding door wardrobes.
This is an early pre moving in render from 2015 I did before the building even existed :p
The final layout even today is .... like exatly the same lol.

QWIkHDX.png

yurinka

When looking at the wordwide yearly revenue PlayStation makes almost twice the amount of money than Nintendo makes. Which means Japan isn't as relevant in the global picture as it was in the past.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yes, Japan has fucking weird ass taste, though. So I dont give a shit.

Give me more AAA single player games, Sony <3

Arthimura

To be fair, it's a pretty shit list.

I expected to see some really cool JRPGs and action games, but there were only casual and old games.

I don't know, it's like only the western market can appreciate some japanese games. Like Soulsborne and Metal Gear Solid, that are more successful in the west, and were always present in Sony consoles. I'm a huge fan of japanese games but i don't care for Mario Party, Mario Golf and the rest of games in that list.

waquzy

Japan​

ManufacturerConsoleReleasedUnits soldDate of figure
Sony PlayStation 2 March 4, 2000 21,454,325[8] July 2008
Sony PlayStation Portable December 12, 2004 19,632,197 December 14, 2014
Sony PlayStation December 3, 1994 18,855,344 April 1, 2004
Sony PlayStation 3 November 11, 2006 10,469,971[10] 2017
Sony PlayStation 4 # February 22, 2014 9,377,534 August 8, 2021
Sony PlayStation Vita # December 17, 2011 5,863,022 December 29, 2019
Sony PlayStation 5 # November 12, 2020 953,733 August 8, 2021
Come on Sony, make PlayStation Portable 2 happen. It would put you back on the map again in Japan

None of this will really make a difference in Japan. Japan loves mobile games and portables.
Unless Sony releases a successor to the Vita, they will be second fiddle in Japan.

EDIT:

And if Sony engage in a "Lets buy out all major publishers" war, then they'll fucking lose. Microsoft has more money its plain and simple.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
None of this will really make a difference in Japan. Japan loves mobile games and portables.
Unless Sony releases a successor to the Vita, they will be second fiddle in Japan.

EDIT:

And if Sony engage in a "Lets buy out all major publishers" war, then they'll fucking lose. Microsoft has more money its plain and simple.

In Japan it's not going to simply be a matter of money, several publishers and developers are integrated into organizations that are heavily involved in Anime, Manga and film. There is also this strong nationalistic feeling that prevents many companies from selling to outside entities and many Japanese banks and corporations have large stakes in many other Japanese companies.

For instance Bandai Namco get many of their licenses from anime, Sega just published a Demon Hunter game that was licensed through Aniplex (Sony).
Kadokawa is mostly Anime and Manga and only has a portion of the business in gaming.
Square has approximately 30% of their business in anime and film.

Sony has huge leverage nationally and through their anime dominance. Many companies are heavily dependent on them for distribution and production.

Microsoft has more money but they do not have the audience for games that come from these companies and stranding them on Xbox is just killing the IP's and the company.

You also do not know what type of appetite MSFT has for large gaming acquisitions going forward, seeing as Zenimax has not really put them on top despite how big it was.

Square in particular would certainly go with Sony, I have no doubt at all. The founder still owns a huge amount of stock and mcu of the rest is owned by Japanese banks.
Capcom will not sell due to heavy family involvement. Founders sons will take over.

Money doesn't always win, Microsoft didn't get Discord for instance recently.

Last edited:

reksveks

Microsoft will definitely respond by most likely with US/European publishers imo.

You also do not know what type of appetite MSFT has for large gaming acquisitions going forward, seeing as Zenimax has not really put them on top despite how big it was.

A couple of points, alot of those Japanese companies are making a decent chunk of their revenue (especially locally) on switch as well so something that probably would like to continue to do. I might try to see if we can collate the rough platform splits by publisher. I know Sega is seeing growth in the PC space and is actively pushing it.

I don't know if we or xbox was expecting Zenimax to push Microsoft on top without releasing a couple of big AAA games first, that's not realistic.

Bryank75

Banned
Microsoft will definitely respond by most likely with US/European publishers imo.

A couple of points, alot of those Japanese companies are making a decent chunk of their revenue (especially locally) on switch as well so something that probably would like to continue to do. I might try to see if we can collate the rough platform splits by publisher. I know Sega is seeing growth in the PC space and is actively pushing it.

I don't know if we or xbox was expecting Zenimax to push Microsoft on top without releasing a couple of big AAA games first, that's not realistic.

Sony should definitely buy Square and Kadokawa.

Even if MSFT responded, many publishers are in disarray at the moment or totally overvalued....look at Activision-Blizzard and Ubisoft for instance.

If they got Square they could still allow some Switch stuff. But PC would have to wait for stuff usually...unless it was FFXIV and a few other things I think.

As you can see here, Sega make the overwhelming majority of their money from Japan and I doubt PC makes up much at all but any growth is good.

reksveks

As you can see here, Sega make the overwhelming majority of their money from Japan and I doubt PC makes up much at all but any growth is good.

Jdw2sFV.jpg

Trying to figure out the disconnect between the tables in their IR and that statistica graph, it might be the pachinko and resorts.

I will say their F2P is so very dominated by Japan, must be pso2.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The japanses have small hands so they are playing with their small things. /jk

The Japanese like portable games and they like RPG's. There isn't much of those 2 on the PS5 so it's not surprising. The Japanese market is an odd one anyway. Not Joking

Bryank75

Banned
The japanses have small hands so they are playing with their small things. /jk

The Japanese like portable games and they like RPG's. There isn't much of those 2 on the PS5 so it's not surprising. The Japanese market is an odd one anyway. Not Joking

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If they got Square they could still allow some Switch stuff. But PC would have to wait for stuff usually...unless it was FFXIV and a few other things I think.

I could read these fanfics all day. Love seeing grown adults fantasize about exclusives and who who should get what in these hypothetical scenarios.

Bryank75

Banned
I could read these fanfics all day. Love seeing grown adults fantasize about exclusives and who who should get what in these hypothetical scenarios.

I know, it's boring at this stage... I just wish Sony would do something interesting. Theres not much to talk about. Plenty to play but not much to talk of unless its a complaint.

In Japan it's not going to simply be a matter of money, several publishers and developers are integrated into organizations that are heavily involved in Anime, Manga and film. There is also this strong nationalistic feeling that prevents many companies from selling to outside entities and many Japanese banks and corporations have large stakes in many other Japanese companies.

For instance Bandai Namco get many of their licenses from anime, Sega just published a Demon Hunter game that was licensed through Aniplex (Sony).
Kadokawa is mostly Anime and Manga and only has a portion of the business in gaming.
Square has approximately 30% of their business in anime and film.

Sony has huge leverage nationally and through their anime dominance. Many companies are heavily dependent on them for distribution and production.

Microsoft has more money but they do not have the audience for games that come from these companies and stranding them on Xbox is just killing the IP's and the company.

Square in particular would certainly go with Sony, I have no doubt at all. The founder still owns a huge amount of stock and mcu of the rest is owned by Japanese banks.
Capcom will not sell due to heavy family involvement. Founders sons will take over.

In the context of Japan, sure.

Microsoft with infinite money will never really win there. I mean more in broad strokes, Sony can't compete in an acquisition competition.

In Japan, Sony can have a lot of great IP, but it won't matter unless Sony puts those games in a portable form factor. Japan is just a mobile/portable-first market. I really don't think the Japanese market will pick up the PS5 in switch quantities if Sony buyout Square or Bamco or something. Maybe it might make the needle move a bit, but Nintendo just dominates.

Sony need to release a successor to the Vita for the Japenese market to come back to them. Leverage PSNow to get a proper functional remote play with 5G, and maybe they might also shift PS5's.

Bryank75

Banned
In the context of Japan, sure.

Microsoft with infinite money will never really win there. I mean more in broad strokes, Sony can't compete in an acquisition competition.

In Japan, Sony can have a lot of great IP, but it won't matter unless Sony puts those games in a portable form factor. Japan is just a mobile/portable-first market. I really don't think the Japanese market will pick up the PS5 in switch quantities if Sony buyout Square or Bamco or something. Maybe it might make the needle move a bit, but Nintendo just dominates.

Sony need to release a successor to the Vita for the Japenese market to come back to them. Leverage PSNow to get a proper functional remote play with 5G, and maybe they might also shift PS5's.

Well, they should do that too. A mobile platform that plays all PS3 and PS4 games would be amazing. With so many crossgen games still coming, it would make it a very versatile platform. It could also take ports from Steam Deck.

But I think they really need to expand the 1st party to support that.

It should be looked on as a combined platform.... like Switch is Switch lite (mobileonly) and Switch (hybrid). PS should be PS5 and a new PSP / Vita and PS4 until it is phased out. There is no need to look to PC in that case.

Tams

Yeah, well it's kind of hard to have game sales when you send almost all your stock of PS5s to other countries because you know you have Japan locked down along with Nintendo.

Kataploom

Gold Member
they have been losing ground step by step for the last 2 generations, so yes. Japan is all about mobile these days, and PC is becoming more relevant as well, which doesn't help
Then it's not "Japan", it's Sony that don't care anymore. If PC is getting relevance is because the high end console market is not being attended correctly by platforms holders.

Is there something regarding PS and censorship for small games? Japan has always had a big indie niche gaming market for which PC has been the only real supporting platform since everything can be put there with no limits, but even normal ecchi games have been censored on PS so maybe devs don't want to go there because of that? Nintendo Switch has tons of very niche japanese games that one could see "normies" getting thrilled about lol.

Edit: Was responding to an old post? LMAO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom