• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful World of Books - The Unofficial BookGAF OT

L*][*N*K

Banned
I assume it's OK to start with the books I posted above as far as Cosmere goes?
The beauty of Cosmere is that every series and every standalone Novel can be read on its own but it is WAY more rewarding if you do them in a proper order, I personally started with those but I will give you the ultimate guide on how to read below:

Mistborn Era 1 > Mistborn Era 2 book 1,2,3 > Mistborn Secret History, Elantris, Emperor’s Soul > Mistborn Era 2 book 4 > The Way of Kings > Warbreaker > Word of Radiant > Oathbringer > Rhythm of War

If you go by it like this you will pick up on so much more than a regular Cosmere reader who just picks it randomly, the way I advised it kinda puts reveals into a good order if anything, also regarding Secret Project 1,3 and 4 those are standalone but I recommend u rear all of Cosmere first since some of those books take place after the events of many of the main series

VN1X

Banned
The beauty of Cosmere is that every series and every standalone Novel can be read on its own but it is WAY more rewarding if you do them in a proper order, I personally started with those but I will give you the ultimate guide on how to read below:

Mistborn Era 1 > Mistborn Era 2 book 1,2,3 > Mistborn Secret History, Elantris, Emperor’s Soul > Mistborn Era 2 book 4 > The Way of Kings > Warbreaker > Word of Radiant > Oathbringer > Rhythm of War

If you go by it like this you will pick up on so much more than a regular Cosmere reader who just picks it randomly, the way I advised it kinda puts reveals into a good order if anything, also regarding Secret Project 1,3 and 4 those are standalone but I recommend u rear all of Cosmere first since some of those books take place after the events of many of the main series
I guess I can start with all of those you mentioned as this new series will probably take many more years to be fully complete anyway. Thanks! Will check those out.

EDIT: It's these ones right? The first era? L*][*N*K L*][*N*K

61eLPGKG0kL.jpg

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson, I have read his books multiple times, his Cosmere is really peak fiction.
I am a big fantasy fan, but have never read a Sanderson novel. I don't know why.. something about having insane output makes me feel like the quality probably isn't there? Who is he comparable to in the genre in your opinion?

L*][*N*K

Banned
I am a big fantasy fan, but have never read a Sanderson novel. I don't know why.. something about having insane output makes me feel like the quality probably isn't there? Who is he comparable to in the genre in your opinion?
I absolutely disagree with that he is amazing, he is just lives and breathes his writing and he is one of the few writers who never have a downtime due to how much he loves his work, I honestly don’t know who would I compare him to since I am fairly new to fantasy, who do you like?

VN1X

Banned
I guess he's similar to King in that regard?

I mean obviously your mileage may vary with King but overall he's considered consistent in both quality and quantity.

Last edited:
I absolutely disagree with that he is amazing, he is just lives and breathes his writing and he is one of the few writers who never have a downtime due to how much he loves his work, I honestly don’t know who would I compare him to since I am fairly new to fantasy, who do you like?
I got my start with Tolkien and Lewis like most. I enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry but bounce off of his more "historical" fantasy stuff. Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction/fantasy is better IMO, specifically the Warlord Chronicles. GOT is a new favorite that i've only just finished this year for the first time (fingers crossed Winds comes soon? :messenger_tears_of_joy:).

L*][*N*K

Banned
I got my start with Tolkien and Lewis like most. I enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry but bounce off of his more "historical" fantasy stuff. Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction/fantasy is better IMO, specifically the Warlord Chronicles. GOT is a new favorite that i've only just finished this year for the first time (fingers crossed Winds comes soon? :messenger_tears_of_joy:).
Fantastic stuff, but honestly Sanderson is on par with them, his style is easier to get into and he doesn’t make his writings so complicated and the stories are so good on its own, Stormlight is his epic fantasy so you might enjoy that the most but like I explained above if you read Cosmere as a whole it is a lot better

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
People used to ask why I was reading paper books in work during lunch, I should get one of those 'Amazon things' or read off my phone they'd urge. Disgusting.

Anyway, most of you have probably read the classics so no point banging on about them and I normally read most things apart from biopics (Unless it's a truly interesting person, like Nikola tesla)

One book that did stick with me though was this -

1wRlN3u.jpg

Just a great read. I'm sure you get the gist from the cover so I wont go into it but definitely give it a shot if the matter interests you.

Drake

Reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I'm like 25% in and I'm 90% sure I know where this story is going, but we'll see. It's a very philosophical book, but I've enjoyed it so far, even the first 100 pages which people say are a slog were pretty decent, but now the story is really starting to pick up.

Fantastic stuff, but honestly Sanderson is on par with them, his style is easier to get into and he doesn’t make his writings so complicated and the stories are so good on its own, Stormlight is his epic fantasy so you might enjoy that the most but like I explained above if you read Cosmere as a whole it is a lot better
I will give them a go!

Cyberpunkd

Reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I'm like 25% in and I'm 90% sure I know where this story is going, but we'll see. It's a very philosophical book, but I've enjoyed it so far, even the first 100 pages which people say are a slog were pretty decent, but now the story is really starting to pick up.
Trust me - you don’t know where it’s going.

Drake

Trust me - you don’t know where it’s going.
Yep, it was definitely a different direction than I thought. Not an easy book for sure, but I enjoyed it. I'll probably check out some of his other works at some point. I hear Foucault's Pendulum is pretty good.

NahaNago

I haven't read a book in a long time. I've been mostly sticking to web novels and manga. The dresden books were pretty good but it felt like he was just milking the series after a while. Then again this could be said for a lot of book series. Terry Goodkind, Kim Harrison, Terry Brooks and any other long running fantasy authors seems to do this. It does make sense since these series still sell.

Last edited:
NF7tHcv.jpg

The Sunlit Man: A+

My favorite out of the Cosmere Secret Projects

I really love how Sanderson keeps on coming up with worlds and magic systems within the Cosmere. Overall loved the western combined with SciFi feel this book gave me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I picked up reading this year after a long break. I ordered some award winning books.

After I got over the procrastination of yarning for the quick dopamine of internet and dove in, I was once again immersed.

I have been on Kindle for a decade due to travel, but now I have had the luxury to carry physical books. I realised how much more enjoyable the experience is. I will only use Kindle for availability while I am on my remote island.

Just finished the Musk book (fantastic), and now trying to get through this before the Netflix show drops. I hope the first book is enough for S1 because otherwise I’ll run out of time.

ja8241A.jpg

Last edited:
pVMiS3e.jpg

Since there is no Comic reading thread on here. Halfway through and I've been really loving this comic. My plan is to read the first four Omnibuses this year. Than read the rest of the comics like Witch Finder, BPRD, and whatever else is connected to the Hellboy comic Universe. I'm a huge fan of the Del Toro movies

The art in the comic is great. With an interesting plot and quirky cast. So far it's a blast

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG-0383.jpg
I picked up the Venomnibus. Did some digging to see which Venom stories were good. After playing Spider-Man 2, the Venom plot sounded good.

I’ve been too busy studying for IT certs to get a lot of reading in. Once I take the exam I’ll get back to it.

Toots

Gold Member
I picked up reading this year after a long break. I ordered some award winning books.

After I got over the procrastination of yarning for the quick dopamine of internet and dove in, I was once again immersed.

I have been on Kindle for a decade due to travel, but now I have had the luxury to carry physical books. I realised how much more enjoyable the experience is. I will only use Kindle for availability while I am on my remote island.

Just finished the Musk book (fantastic), and now trying to get through this before the Netflix show drops. I hope the first book is enough for S1 because otherwise I’ll run out of time.

ja8241A.jpg
The whole trilogy is so scary when you think chinese gvt officials swear by the ideas developped in the book.

Basically Omnis lupus est (well i don't know latin really but you catch my drift), and we are all destined to be chinese or die without ressources.
I remember, in the second tome, understanding the oh so cunning plan the "genius" hero devises to save earth from the aliens 300 pages in - anyone having spend a week in high school would -, thinking to myself "are they for fucking real?!" and reading the next 300 pages to see for myself that they were indeed for fucking real... Once again the ideology developped in theses books about the future of earth and human beings are aligned with the ideology of the chinese governing party, and it is truly scary. It will be funny watching netflix try to put its spin on that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was sick in bed for 4 days, and couldn't concentrate on difficult stuff so i reread Fire Punch (same guy as Chainsaw man), and it is great. Weird, but great. Short and sometimes lacking continuity (or just shitting on continuity just for the sake of it) but great.

yUF7jyJ.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just finished Quiet by Susan Cain.

Good book that I can recommend any introvert. The more introverted you are, the more you’ll have from it. I myself didn’t get so much out of it as I’m prolly not the classic introvert, although I have many traits. Was still a good read though, even for me.

Tackling The Bible next. Read it once already in German but never in English. Bought the King James Version. Man, I LOVE this old school writing. Though shalt not… thee… cometh… such a pleasure to read. Trying to complete it within this year still. Let’s see if I can manage.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I just finished the book endurance about the failed Shackleton expedition to the attic. The story is incredible and the fact that men spent months living on ice flows and small boats is incredible. All pieced together through men’s journals. I recommend reading it.

Fbh

Finished Lightbringer yesterday, the second to last book in the Red Rising saga (last one is supposed to come out next year)

81xKzRqQrHL._AC_UL210_SR210,210_.jpg

It's amazing how much this series has improved over the years, it went from an enjoyable but derivative take on the "YA battle royale" genre to become one of the most fun and engaging sci Fi / Space Warfare series I've read.
It's rare, IMO, for an author to finish a trilogy, then decide to go back to the world with a follow up saga and create something that's actually superior to the original, but I think Pierce Brown has absolutely done that with these last 3 books.
From the new multi character perspective to some of the insane (almost W40K) setpieces to the fact these past few books take a critical look at what happens after "the good guys win" and present some arguments I didn't expect from a popular author these days, these past 3 books have been a joy to read and I can't wait for the final one next year.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Finished Lightbringer yesterday, the second to last book in the Red Rising saga (last one is supposed to come out next year)

81xKzRqQrHL._AC_UL210_SR210,210_.jpg

It's amazing how much this series has improved over the years, it went from an enjoyable but derivative take on the "YA battle royale" genre to become one of the most fun and engaging sci Fi / Space Warfare series I've read.
It's rare, IMO, for an author to finish a trilogy, then decide to go back to the world with a follow up saga and create something that's actually superior to the original, but I think Pierce Brown has absolutely done that with these last 3 books.
From the new multi character perspective to some of the insane (almost W40K) setpieces to the fact these past few books take a critical look at what happens after "the good guys win" and present some arguments I didn't expect from a popular author these days, these past 3 books have been a joy to read and I can't wait for the final one next year.

Wow. Another Red Rising fan in the house. I thought I was the only one. Hail, fellow Howler!

I agree with everything you've said about the series. The action scenes are Gorydamn insane. Possibly some of the most over the top and intense action scenes put to paper.

I finished LB recently and as expected, I wasn't disappointed. Now the long wait for Red God.......

• Strength
Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Wow. Another Red Rising fan in the house. I thought I was the only one. Hail, fellow Howler!

I agree with everything you've said about the series. The action scenes are Gorydamn insane. Possibly some of the most over the top and intense action scenes put to paper.

I finished LB recently and as expected, I wasn't disappointed. Now the long wait for Red God.......
My boy Cassius deserved to be happy
giphy-2-1.gif

That's a series I need to get into. Everyone I talked to that likes to read books always gushes about that series

Fbh

That's a series I need to get into. Everyone I talked to that likes to read books always gushes about that series

Absolutely worth it if you like action heavy Sci Fi.
I had heard good things about it but put it off for a long time because the first book sounded a bit generic. It was like "oh boy teens in a dystopian future are made to take part in a brutal competition...where have I heard that one before?". Eventually I gave it a chance and while the original setup is somewhat derivative, I really started to get into the characters, their internal dynamics and the great pacing of the story. But then by the second book much of the generic YA stuff gets put aside and it turns into this epic saga of rebellion, conquest, betrayal and interplanetary warfare.

Brown is also pretty good at subverting expectations in a good way. It's not like Brandon Sanderson books where you can often accurately predict where specific plot threads are going but then it takes 1000 pages to slowly get there for some reason (still like them though). With Brown not only is the pacing better but you can never be quite sure how things will play out, at some points you almost get lured into expecting the story to take a straightforward linear progression only for something unexpected to happen and take things in a completely different direction. But the twists and unexpected developments always feel like they make sense within the context of the story, it's not just "subverting" for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Absolutely worth it if you like action heavy Sci Fi.
I had heard good things about it but put it off for a long time because the first book sounded a bit generic. It was like "oh boy teens in a dystopian future are made to take part in a brutal competition...where have I heard that one before?". Eventually I gave it a chance and while the original setup is somewhat derivative, I really started to get into the characters, their internal dynamics and the great pacing of the story. But then by the second book much of the generic YA stuff gets put aside and it turns into this epic saga of rebellion, conquest, betrayal and interplanetary warfare.

Brown is also pretty good at subverting expectations in a good way. It's not like Brandon Sanderson books where you can often accurately predict where specific plot threads are going but then it takes 500 pages to slowly get there for some reason (still like them though). With Brown not only is the pacing better but you can never be quite sure how things will play out, at some points you almost get lured into expecting the story to take a straightforward linear progression only for something unexpected to happen and take things in a completely different direction. But the twists and unexpected developments always feel like they make sense within the context of the story, it's not just "subverting" for the sake of it.

I'm a huge fan of Sanderson Cosmere books but I can understand why some people don't like his books. I always considered him the Stephen King of fantasy due to how constant he releases books.

As for the Red Rising series, I always was turned off from it due to the series just being another YA Fantasy/Science Fiction series. Those usually have lots of tropes that's specific to that genre. I'll check it out but does it have the Love Triangle Trope that most YA Series have?

Fbh

I'm a huge fan of Sanderson Cosmere books but I can understand why some people don't like his books. I always considered him the Stephen King of fantasy due to how constant he releases books.

As for the Red Rising series, I always was turned off from it due to the series just being another YA Fantasy/Science Fiction series. Those usually have lots of tropes that's specific to that genre. I'll check it out but does it have the Love Triangle Trope that most YA Series have?

It's not that I dislike Sanderson, I'm up to date with the The Stormlight Archive and looking forward to the next one, Dalinar from that franchise is one of my favourite characters in medieval fantasy. But I definitely think a lot of his books are on the bloated side, like all of these Stormlight Archive books have been good but I think they'd be even better if he had trimmed them down like 20%.

As for Red Rising, as I mentioned the first book can feel like it's just another YA series, specially during the first half, but IMO by the second one it definitely moves past that and becomes something much better. There's a sort of "love triangle" for a brief moment in the second book but it's in no way a major plot point nor does the story spend a lot of time on it, it's relevant for a few chapters in 1 book out of 7.

It's not that I dislike Sanderson, I'm up to date with the The Stormlight Archive and looking forward to the next one, Dalinar from that franchise is one of my favourite characters in medieval fantasy. But I definitely think a lot of his books are on the bloated side, like all of these Stormlight Archive books have been good but I think they'd be even better if he had trimmed them down like 20%.

As for Red Rising, as I mentioned the first book can feel like it's just another YA series, specially during the first half, but IMO by the second one it definitely moves past that and becomes something much better. There's a sort of "love triangle" for a brief moment in the second book but it's in no way a major plot point nor does the story spend a lot of time on it, it's relevant for a few chapters in 1 book out of 7.

I'm up to date with Sanderson Cosmere. As for The Stormlight Archive I love how thick the books are. As for my favorite characters from The Stormlight Archive, they are Kaladin and Shallen. But yeah I can see why some people think his books are bloated. That's another reason why I call him the Stephen King of fantasy. Sanderson books tends to be on the long side of things

As for Red Rising, that's good to know. I'll put that book series to read for 2024 next year

I just think the love triangle trope is overused especially in the YA genre

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Book 1 of the Red Rising series can come off as YA fantasy, but stick with it. Brown knows how to write intense, ball-tingling action.

Trust me. You won't regret it. It's one of those rare series that keep getting better and better with every book.

Do it. I'm jealous you'll be experiencing this masterpiece for the first time.

kikkis

Mistborn era 2 trilogy almost wrapped, still secret history and lost metal to go. How have you liked sla compared to mistborn? I think ill try that after this.

Trilobit

ja8241A.jpg

No matter what you think of the first two books(I really liked them), you should trudge through and enjoy the third book. It had some of the most mind-bending passages I've ever read in scifi.

-----------------

I've read World War Z, though I skipped some parts that didn't interest me, like the gung ho Americans. It has enough material for talented TV writers to expand on. But it was also frustrating as just when a story got super interesting, it ended. But great source for an anthology show. It does very unique things and portrays realistic scenarios.

I'm right now reading Hyperion and really digging it. About half-way through and though some parts made me laugh out of pure cringe(the author being obsessed with nipples and describing women like a horny teenager) and some other parts were just mindless action, it has enough going for it. Some parts are super dark and vivid for the imagination. Looking forward to finish it. Then I'm off to a book about alien telepathic dogs that I can't remember the name of.

Last edited:
4KWbVuZ.jpg

Dune Messiah: A+

Absolutely fantastic

Loved how weird this book is

Zombie Duncan Idaho
Zombie Duncan Idaho romance with Ilia
Blind Paul using his newborn son Leto eyesight to throw a knife

etc etc

Finishing

The Three-Body Trilogy
Silo Trilogy
Killers of a Flower Moon
Skeleton Crew by Stephen King
Star Wars The Thrawn Trilogy
The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar Trilogy Book 1)
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel Book 1)
The Orc King by R A Salvatore (Transitions Trilogy Book 1)
Children of Time (Children of Time Trilogy Book 1)

Reading the rest of the Dune Books after I'm done with all the books above

Last edited:
FEjc4tJ.jpg

The Dirty Streets of Heaven: B+

The story is a Urban Fantasy with the feel of a noir. The characters were interesting. I really liked the romance between two certain characters. There was a twist I really enjoyed later on in the story. I really liked the world building when it came to Heaven and Hell. Yes the story has a lot of tropes but I really enjoyed it. I'll eventually get to Book 2 and Book 3 later this year

Next up is Wool by Hugh Howey

Last edited:
znoNRwO.jpg

Wool: A+

The first book in the Silo Trilogy. Some fantastic prose combined with interesting characters made this book hard for me to put down. The World Building is top notch and I can't wait to explore the rest of the last two books when I get to those.

The Next two books I'll be finishing up is The Three-Body Problem and Heir To The Empire

When it comes to Book Series I want to try to tackle and finish this year

Silo Trilogy
Transition Trilogy (Legend of Drizzt)
Rama Tetralogy
The Last 4 Dune Books + 2 Dune Sequel books written by Frank Herberts Son
Red Rising Series
Ringworld Tetralogy
The Bobby Dollar Trilogy
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Books of Babel Tetralogy
The First Law Trilogy
Children of Time Trilogy
The Expanse Series
The last 2 books of the Hyperion Cantos
Foundation Series

Vyse

Gold Member
Been off the reading bandwagon for a while. My sister in law just gave me the first book in a series called Gone by Michael Grant. Seems to be YA, but pretty good so far. Easy read and starts really fast.

Vyse

Gold Member
znoNRwO.jpg

The first book in the Silo Trilogy. Some fantastic prose combined with interesting characters made this book hard for me to put down. The World Building is top notch and I can't wait to explore the rest of the last two books when I get to those.

The Next two books I'll be finishing up is The Three-Body Problem and Heir To The Empire

Silo Trilogy
Rama Tetralogy
Red Rising Series
Ringworld Tetralogy
The Bobby Dollar Trilogy
The Thrawn Trilogy
The First Law Trilogy
Children of Time Trilogy
The Expanse Series
Foundation Series
I watched a few episodes of Silo. Had no idea the series was that expensive. Will check it out next. Thanks.

kikkis

znoNRwO.jpg

Silo Trilogy
Rama Tetralogy
Red Rising Series
Ringworld Tetralogy
The Bobby Dollar Trilogy
The Thrawn Trilogy
The First Law Trilogy
Children of Time Trilogy
The Expanse Series
Foundation Series
I was intrigued by the show, but still bit on the fence about starting to read the books. Some say its book series with good idea, but mediocre writing.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Just finished Buddhism for Beginners. It was basic but I liked it. Gonna move on to Buddhism without Beliefs tomorrow.

Also finishing up my 20th rereading of LotR. My take away from this reading is that Pippin is hilarious

Top Bottom