• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longest single-volume book in the world goes on sale – and is impossible to read

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
1280.jpg

Behold! The largest single-volume book ever created, however the absolute ridiculous size of it makes it impossible to read.

A limited edition single volume of the long-running manga One Piece is being billed as the longest book in existence.

At 21,450 pages, it is physically impossible to read, making it less of a book and more of a sculpture.

Priced at €1,900 (£1,640), the book isn’t credited to Eiichiro Oda, the writer and artist behind One Piece, which has been serialised in Japanese magazine Shōnen Jump every week since 1997. It is being sold instead as the work of Ilan Manouach, the multidisciplinary artist who has designed the limited edition volume, which is titled ONEPIECE

A spokesperson for JBE told the Guardian that ONEPIECE is an “unreadable sculpture that takes the shape of a book – the largest one to date in page numbers and spine width – that materialises the ecosystem of online dissemination of comics.” Whatever it is classed as, there certainly seems to be a market for ONEPIECE – the limited edition run of 50 copies sold out within days of its release on 7 September.

1280.jpg

Really cool art idea and surly an investment. Own up. Who here on GAF was one of the lucky few to snag a copy of this "book"

Jinzo Prime

1280.jpg

Behold! The largest single-volume book ever created, however the absolute ridiculous size of it makes it impossible to read.

A limited edition single volume of the long-running manga One Piece is being billed as the longest book in existence.

At 21,450 pages, it is physically impossible to read, making it less of a book and more of a sculpture.

Priced at €1,900 (£1,640), the book isn’t credited to Eiichiro Oda, the writer and artist behind One Piece, which has been serialised in Japanese magazine Shōnen Jump every week since 1997. It is being sold instead as the work of Ilan Manouach, the multidisciplinary artist who has designed the limited edition volume, which is titled ONEPIECE

A spokesperson for JBE told the Guardian that ONEPIECE is an “unreadable sculpture that takes the shape of a book – the largest one to date in page numbers and spine width – that materialises the ecosystem of online dissemination of comics.” Whatever it is classed as, there certainly seems to be a market for ONEPIECE – the limited edition run of 50 copies sold out within days of its release on 7 September.

1280.jpg

Really cool art idea and surly an investment. Own up. Who here on GAF was one of the lucky few to snag a copy of this "book"

Wonder what the auction price of this thing's gonna be?

Jennings

Why would that be impossible to read? You can just sand/grind the spine off with a $5 hand tool and not hurt the legibility of the book one iota.

Then just hole-punch the pages and put them in 3-ring binders.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Interesting use of someone elses work. If he built this by buying some off the shelf books and assembling them into this "sculpture" then I guess he doesn't owe Oda anything. But if he lifted all that content and printed it himself then sold it, that's IP theft, isn't it? Maybe most of those pages are actually just nonsense or are glued together and that's why it is "unreadable".

Fbh

Yeah it's definitely more of a collectors item than something intended for practical use.

Would still buy it if I had stupid amounts of disposable income though

Kimahri

Banned
Why would that be impossible to read? You can just sand/grind the spine off with a $5 hand tool and not hurt the legibility of the book one iota.

It's fascinating to me that "without tools or alterations" actually needs to be added to statements.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

That would make it possible, but at a cost of destroying a sculpture that costs a four figure sum. A sculpture that was also designed to be impossible to read in the first place.

ShinFuYux

I would reconstruct the box, add the same image and design and just buy the books separately. Maybe reprint the spine as a removable book cover. Now you don't look like an idiot paying 2 grand on something you can't read.

Soodanim

Gold Member
At least all copies will stay in good condition, that's one advantage of being an unreadable collector's item. Although, there might be some damage when the shelf breaks.

sol_bad

I just wish Viz would release Deluxe hardcovers like what Dark Horse have done with Berserk and Blade of the Immortal.

Top Bottom