• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

ferralcow

Banned
I really enjoyed it overall, except these wierd decisions choosing cast members.
Some seem to fit and some seem to be uttershit.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

What's interesting is that at least two more attractive actresses (imo of course) got smaller roles in the show - I'm talking about Renfri and Sabrina. I guess this is Netflix, you're not allowed to have hot women in the main cast. ;)

Revas

It's truly incredible how passionate so many of you are about keeping people away from fictional entertainment. I have a difficult time imagining you enjoy literally anything. It's clear that what you really find entertaining is finding ways to be victimized by the media, negating the affects of racism towards groups that can actually suffer from it, and patting each other on the back when discussing the ills of multicultural casts. I can appreciate the few in your ranks that are willing to call a spade a spade and admit that they would just prefer things have stayed white, without care to anything else.

I watched the first episode of The Witcher last night, thought Cavill did a great job as Geralt and I'm definitely going to watch the rest of it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

It's truly incredibly how passionate so many of you are about keeping people away from fictional entertainment. I have a difficult time imagining you enjoy literally anything. It's clear that what you really find entertaining is finding ways to be victimized by the media, negating the affects of racism towards groups that can actually suffer from it, and patting each other on the back when discussing the ills of multicultural casts. I can appreciate the few in your ranks that are willing to call a spade a spade and admit that they would just prefer things have stayed white, without care to anything else.

I watched the first episode of The Witcher last night, thought Cavill did a great job as Geralt and I'm definitely going to watch the rest of it.

That was literally a 2 poster convo that went on for 2/3 posts and was done. And you dilute the entire thread to just that? Seems you’re looking for a bit of outrage maybe, lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm sorry. My condolences.
I recognize that most people won't agree with me, but there is something about her that I found really attractive.

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

I do wish they would have at least kept her hair more like this.

And that her and Gerault had a good time, like my character in Witcher 3 did in the lighthouse. :)

I recognize that most people won't agree with me, but there is something about her that I found really attractive.

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

And that her and Gerault had a good time, like my character in Witcher 3 did in the lighthouse. :)

I would have been on board with this and easily gave her red hair. But, this is not how she looks in The Witcher...far from it.

Revas

That was literally a 2 poster convo that went on for 2/3 posts and was done. And you dilute the entire thread to just that? Seems you’re looking for a bit of outrage maybe, lol

We'll just file this under "back patting" and keep it moving.

Fuz

Banned

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

This is a really good photo of her.

Now, that's her in the show:
48327325862_54f9f47453_b.jpg

But in any case, she's no Triss. It's not even a matter of attractiveness.

And don't get me started with Fringilla.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would thought Triss would have been a little bit more warming? This Triss feels almost replaceable. She wrinkles her forehead a lot. Otherwise I'm loving the show.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would have been on board with this and easily gave her red hair. But, this is not how she looks in The Witcher...far from it.
What if I told you that in Game of Thrones a lot of the characters didn't look the same as their book counterparts? Tyrion and Tywin for instance.

What if I told you that in Game of Thrones a lot of the characters didn't look the same as their book counterparts? Tyrion and Tywin for instance.

Did they make 3 GoT games before the show ran?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad. I'm just glad they kept Geralt's character a perfect match to the games. If not, I don't think I would even consider watching.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad. I'm just glad they kept Geralt's character a perfect match to the games. If not, I don't think I would even consider watching.
The show got the main characters right, which is IMO what matters most. Some argued that because Yennefer wasn't a pure white Caucasian actress (she is like 75% white and 25% indian) that it was pandering, but I think that is a terrible take. She is white enough and looked great. Dandelion was perfectly cast. Triss surprised me, but they should have fixed the hair. Fringilla, I'm indifferent since she is such a minor character.

The only part I found it strange and noticeable was the tribe that captured/rescued Ciri. It was odd to see the random non-white dispersed in there.

Raven117

Well, I like it. It’s not Shakespeare or anything, and some episodes are stronger than others, but if they can find there footing with the pacing of the show then it will be good.

y’all are over thinking this too much.

Lanrutcon

I want a balls to the wall 2 hour Witcher action movie with the John Wick guys directing.

Just 5 minutes of setup and then a 115 minutes of swordplay, magic and swearing.

Starring Henry, obviously.

Javthusiast

Banned

The show is based on the books, it was never going to make people happy if they thought the characters would be carbon copies of their game counterparts. And as mentioned above, multiple GoT characters also looked different in the show.

As long as they are written well, who cares.

Last edited:
The show is based on the books, it was never going to make people happy if they thought the characters would be carbon copies of their game counterparts. And as mentioned above, multiple GoT characters also looked different in the show.

As long as they are written well, who cares.

It was more of making a point. I assume most people watching the show have played or seen some aspect of the games. But, I'm with you, if it is written well, it shouldn't matter.

iNvid02

That to me is the true tragedy and why I feel sorry for people like you. When you reach that point when you are unable to watch something because you are worried about a political agenda then the leftists have won.

But here is what is crazy, many of these things have existed in movies for many many many years. It's strange that people have gotten so focused on them. You could literally make any argument that any movie/series has agenda driven to one side or the other.

For the record, I am not saying agenda driven stuff doesn't exist. Not at all. It does exist and has always existed.

My perfect example would be the movie Aliens. If that came out today it would be called nothing but Feminist/SJW propaganda.

So many of you have reached a place where you aren't happy unless you are outraged by something.

ok chump

JCK75

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

I mean she's gorgeous and it may just be the fault of the writing there is just so little to her right now... I don't dislike her just.. she was just kind of there.

Jon Neu

Banned
It's truly incredible how passionate so many of you are about keeping people away from fictional entertainment. I have a difficult time imagining you enjoy literally anything. It's clear that what you really find entertaining is finding ways to be victimized by the media, negating the affects of racism towards groups that can actually suffer from it, and patting each other on the back when discussing the ills of multicultural casts. I can appreciate the few in your ranks that are willing to call a spade a spade and admit that they would just prefer things have stayed white, without care to anything else.

Things have never stayed white, there has been all type of characters through all kinds of media since always.

Your dear regressive friends aren't doing anything new, they are just being egotistical virtue signalling simpletons while thinking they are doing something brave and empowering. They think they are Ghandi simply for saying that white males are evil.

Now you can go pat yourself on the back for how good you are by confronting racists who are sick of political indoctrination in every kind of cultural media. All while entertaining and defending really racist propagandistic theories such as white privilege, minorities being eternal victims, etc...

Revas

Things have never stayed white, there has been all type of characters through all kinds of media since always.

Your dear regressive friends aren't doing anything new, they are just being egotistical virtue signalling simpletons while thinking they are doing something brave and empowering. They think they are Ghandi simply for saying that white males are evil.

Now you can go pat yourself on the back for how good you are by confronting racists who are sick of political indoctrination in every kind of cultural media. All while entertaining and defending really racist propagandistic theories such as white privilege, minorities being eternal victims, etc...

No one said white males were evil. You're attempting to overly simplify issues to avoid any measure of critical thought in regards to the opinions of people who don't think like you do. Furthermore if you think privilege, of all different types mind you, does not exist (at least in American society) then you're being willfully ignorant or you are not well versed on a concept you are trying to undermine. Positioning the decisions of for profit organizations as attempts at "political indoctrination" is bizarre, they are only attempting to do what is in their own best interest as they always have. Instead of critiquing the tangible merits of these products, you're allowing yourself to be bothered by sex and race of fictional people, of which has little relevance to the story being told.

As a huge fan of Wild Hunt. I thought the show was ok. It would bounce from nice production to looking like fuckin xena warrior princess often. The best fight was the first episode and all the sword clanging afterword was just standard tv action fare. eh. All in all dem titties weren't hunchback.

Read the first book a long time ago, have adored the game series since 1 and still I really think that The Witcher 3 is probably the best game ever made if I'm honest with myself. I thought this Netflix adaptation was stellar. FX were great, Cavill really embodied what I wanted from Geralt(though I'm hoping for a ponytail, shaved look in season 2), the music is great, not on par with the games, but great nonetheless, Dandelion is portrayed perfectly. As a fan of just The Witcher in general across multiple mediums, I thought the show was awesome. Great job. I really look forward to more. I'd love to see them do a bloody baron adaptation or to see Alvin make a small appearance. Really happy to see the genie story shown. Just overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Only watched it once, but will definitely do another one.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
No one said white males were evil.

You are either being incredibly ignorant or just autistic.

Furthermore if you think privilege, of all different types mind you, does not exist (at least in American society) then you're being willfully ignorant or you are not well versed on a concept you are trying to undermine

Surprise surprise, you are ok with their political indoctrination because you think the same way. I'm shocked.

When you all stop trying to demonize people based on the color of their skin and therefore the amount of privilege you stupidly try to associate them with, you can maybe try to start any kind of real conversation. One with real facts, not with ad hominems disguided as social theories that the only thing that seek is to say that white people are evil and minorities are victims because slavery or something.

And organizations are made with people, people who are obsessed with wokeness and identity politics, people who are obsessed with virtue signalling.

The Wokeness adoctrination and SJW fantasies being infused in every form of media is not a result of searching the most profitable way, but the result of the ego and the force of a certain type of ideology that has absorbed the minds of so many americans like a religious cult.

Wokeness has rapidly become literally that, the religion of the american far left.

Revas

You are either being incredibly ignorant or just autistic.

Surprise surprise, you are ok with their political indoctrination because you think the same way. I'm shocked.

When you all stop trying to demonize people based on the color of their skin and therefore the amount of privilege you stupidly try to associate them with, you can maybe try to start any kind of real conversation. One with real facts, not with ad hominems disguided as social theories that the only thing that seek is to say that white people are evil and minorities are victims because slavery or something.

And organizations are made with people, people who are obsessed with wokeness and identity politics, people who are obsessed with virtue signalling.

The Wokeness adoctrination and SJW fantasies being infused in every form of media is not a result of searching the most profitable way, but the result of the ego and the force of a certain type of ideology that has absorbed the minds of so many americans like a religious cult.

Wokeness has rapidly become literally that, the religion of the american far left.

Great job not replying to anything that I said. I anticipated you'd reply with a soup of buzzwords without any meaning or context, and you did not disappoint.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Read the first book a long time ago, have adored the game series since 1 and still I really think that The Witcher 3 is probably the best game ever made if I'm honest with myself. I thought this Netflix adaptation was stellar. FX were great, Cavill really embodied what I wanted from Geralt(though I'm hoping for a ponytail, shaved look in season 2), the music is great, not on par with the games, but great nonetheless, Dandelion is portrayed perfectly. As a fan of just The Witcher in general across multiple mediums, I thought the show was awesome. Great job. I really look forward to more. I'd love to see them do a bloody baron adaptation or to see Alvin make a small appearance. Really happy to see the genie story shown. Just overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Only watched it once, but will definitely do another one.

They sort of did do a Bloody Baron adaptation didn't they, with the striga that was Foltest's daughter

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I'm just tired of Hollywood turning every ginger in every adaptation into some other race. Like what the fuck is wrong with redheads? I think I complained about this in another thread but it is fucking weird and pervasive.

jonnyp

No. There is not. They cast a woman with an Indian father. To many people, she could easily pass for a Caucasian. She plays the role very well and is quite a good looking woman (boobs were outstanding). If you're triggered by that, then congratulations, you've become what the SJW crowd is.

No, she really couldn't but it doesn't matter. She does a fine job and seems like a good actress. The series as a whole feels cheap and low budget though. I'm not digging it.

Reactions: Fuz
I expected nothing and I was pleasantly surprised. Cavill was perfect as Geralt, Anya Chalotra was a delicious Yennifer. Triss was meh... that perm looked horrible. The kid playing Ciri was also not bad.

I have almost nothing bad to say about it, the confusing timelines are the only thing that was a bit too much, but it kinda worked in the end, overall I'd say that this is a very good adaption and I'm glad that it exists. The critics trashing this are morons.

No, she really couldn't but it doesn't matter. She does a fine job and seems like a good actress. The series as a whole feels cheap and low budget though. I'm not digging it.
Yeah, I agree about the cheap feeling. Despite that, I ended up really enjoying the show. I think if they could have focused on just Geralt, the budget constraints wouldn’t have been so obvious, but I don’t know if that would have been compelling. The brotherhood storyline was interesting enough and added a lot to the show. Also, the actress who played Yennifer was great. I don’t really see her as the best aesthetic option for Yenn, but geez she was great.

New Yorks Finest New Yorks Finest I don’t know what you’re talking about the bard was great and I wanted more of him.

Oberstein

I can't understand why some people find the show "cheap". People who talk about Xena or Hercules have obviously never seen an episode from that time. When you see the number of situations, the different CGI (sometimes successful, sometimes not), the fact that there are 2 "big battles" for season 1... well yes, they lowered the cost of the costumes, I guess.
But the whole show is not "cheap".

PhoenixTank

lets hit two birds with one stone here.
I think they should cancel the show, with all these different minorities from all over the world and reshoot it as close to the material that it references. It should be an all Polish cast, all white and in the native Polish tongue.

the anti-SJW will get the all white cast that they dream off and SJW will get the minority representation.

after all, it's all about keeping the integrity of the work of art, and not about American Block politics right?

Aion002

Just finished watching.

I enjoyed. But I think they took a risk with this first season by not making a more "linear" story (present and past cuts) and not having more action sequences. I am glad that they confirmed a second season. I hope it's better.

About the actors debate, well Henry Cavill was cool as Geralt and he seems to be enjoying alot playing him, Yen was fine, Triss was weird, the actress acts like Triss, as an young and naive mage, however her clothes and hair style makes her feel older than Yen.

I felt Cirilla was weird... she looks too old to play that "moment" in the series. Dandelion (Jaskier), looks and sounds bad. I am sorry, but they should go with someone more akin to the game.

Now Fringilla, the fact that is a black actress is not an issue, but the fact that she acts really robotic is.

Finally.... Foltest.... well... nope. Not that guy.

Jude Law is Foltest:

htt671c9c2xy.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom