• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

I didn't have high expectations going in and thought Henry was miscast (probably because I love game Geralt and his voice far too much) but they managed to create something cool which I ended up bingewatching when I should be studying

My biggest fear was bad CGI but it was solid, I think the cringiest moment was the talking dragon but it was shortlived

On a side note, some really attractive women on this show. Renfri and Parvetta were smoking

Renfri and Yen are hot. Parvetta looked like an ugly version of Taylor Swift (who I don't personally view as very attractive).

RavageX

Why shouldn't it? Fantasy gives them liberty to do whatever they want, no?

I don't actually believe this, I'm just wondering if you still think it's a good excuse.

What I believe casting wise;

If Geralt were casted as an asian, etc. Then I wouldn't agree with that. Military people, background village folk, people passing by....what does it matter in a fantasy setting?

I would not expect to see a plane flying through the sky, and if there were such a thing happening, there had better be an explanation.

In a fantasy world with magic, monsters, witches, wizards, dragons and everything else under the sun, various races appearing scattered throughout sparingly should not be the end of the world.

iNvid02

Renfri and Yen are hot. Parvetta looked like an ugly version of Taylor Swift (who I don't personally view as very attractive).

i dunno what it is about her but i dig it, even with the visibly smaller right eye vs left. probably her bone structure

shout out to hedgehog boy

pavetta.png

Katsura

What I believe casting wise;

If Geralt were casted as an asian, etc. Then I wouldn't agree with that. Military people, background village folk, people passing by....what does it matter in a fantasy setting?

I would not expect to see a plane flying through the sky, and if there were such a thing happening, there had better be an explanation.

In a fantasy world with magic, monsters, witches, wizards, dragons and everything else under the sun, various races appearing scattered throughout sparingly should not be the end of the world.
It's not just background people though is it? It's some of the main characters whose looks are well established in the book and the games. Also, it's not just 'a fantasy setting'. It's based entirely on Polish lore. It's wildly disrespectful to their culture when a bunch of liberal americans twists it to fit their agenda. By the way, i'm not making this up. One of the main writers have been gloating on twatter about how one scene signifies Europe accepting American diversity ideals or some shit

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's not just background people though is it? It's some of the main characters whose looks are well established in the book and the games. Also, it's not just 'a fantasy setting'. It's based entirely on Polish lore. It's wildly disrespectful to their culture when a bunch of liberal americans twists it to fit their agenda. By the way, i'm not making this up. One of the main writers have been gloating on twatter about how one scene signifies Europe accepting American diversity ideals or some shit
Grow the fuck up and get over yourself.

If they had changed the race/skin colors for main characters, then OK sure. But on insignificant people who aren't essential to the plot, then it's pure crybaby stuff.

Last edited:
The show is much better than I expected to be, despite all the tokenism. The first episodes were a drag, but eventually get better. Pacing is still bad as it's trying to cram everything all at once. Acting has been great for all 3 leads, including Dandelion/Jaskier

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Finished the first season last night. I have *NOT* read the books and I'm only going off the game lore/stories but felt a bit let down at the end.

The Witcher was at it's best when Geralt was fighting/hunting monsters but unfortunately there are less than a handful of these in Season One(8 episodes).

The Yennefer story arch has been pretty cool, same with Ciri's. I'm hoping we'll get a look into Geralt's past in upcoming seasons. I also hope they really bump
up the frequency of monster hunting/fights.

First season rating from me: 7.5 out of 10.

Gediminas

Banned
very good series. i liked it a lot. my two cents are Triss, her character and too little actually hunting monster. there is a room to grow.

Katsura

Grow the fuck up and get over yourself.

If they had changed the race/skin colors for main characters, then OK sure. But on insignificant people who aren't essential to the plot, then it's pure crybaby stuff.
Yennefer is insignificant? Triss is insignificant? And keep your insults to yourself. You don't even have a clue what you're talking about, you're in no position to act like you do. Do you even know the first thing about the Witcher? It doesn't look like it so maybe instead of showing your ignorance to the world, perhaps you could do just a tiny bit of research before jumping in with your hot takes?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure they plan for Triss to be insignificant in the Netflix series. They have their three chosen characters. Triss will likely continue as a (very) side character. I cannot even imagine her as a romantic interest with the way the actress has done things and how everything has been set up.

Katsura

I am pretty sure they plan for Triss to be insignificant in the Netflix series. They have their three chosen characters. Triss will likely continue as a (very) side character. I cannot even imagine her as a romantic interest with the way the actress has done things and how everything has been set up.
Be that as it may, she is still a very significant character in The Witcher universe

Ornlu

Banned
Watched Ep. 1 yesterday; tokenism argument aside:

1. Cavill seems good
2. The wizard/his tower worked well
3. That war/battle scene was terrible. They should have shown aftermath/small running fights if it was going to be a floaty CGI mess like that
4. Armor seems to not do anything, applies to most shows and movies, though
5. Overall good, looking forward to watching the rest

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yennefer is insignificant? Triss is insignificant? And keep your insults to yourself. You don't even have a clue what you're talking about, you're in no position to act like you do. Do you even know the first thing about the Witcher? It doesn't look like it so maybe instead of showing your ignorance to the world, perhaps you could do just a tiny bit of research before jumping in with your hot takes?
1024px-Anya_Chalotra_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with who they chose to cast as Yennefer. She is a fine choice.
Triss was a little strange at first appearance, but she grew on me.

Again, get over yourself.

The reviewers and takes that think this is full of male gaze nudity is ignoring that this show is full of female gaze shots. Women are watching this show for Cavill and he has plenty of shirtless shots and plenty of tight pants shots. On top of that, the examining scars thing is very much female gaze and the show is full of girls looking at Geralt's scars. Not to mention that the long hair and big shouldered man thing is pretty spot on for a steamy romance cover.

Katsura

1024px-Anya_Chalotra_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with who they chose to cast as Yennefer. She is a fine choice.
Triss was a little strange at first appearance, but she grew on me.

Again, get over yourself.
Yes there is something wrong. She is not caucasian as the character is established to be. Triss was a little strange? You think? I like how you've just ignored that you got btfo'ed with your first take about them being insignificant and just change tactics. Probably after googling both characters since you clearly had no idea. The fact remains they race changed two of the main characters. No amount of handwaving is going to change that. How about you get over yourself and stop posting hot takes when you don't even know what you're talking about?

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes there is something wrong. She is not caucasian as the character is established to be. Triss was a little strange? You think? I like how you've just ignored that you got btfo'ed with your first take about them being insignificant and just change tactics. Probably after googling both characters since you clearly had no idea. How about you get over yourself and stop posting hot takes when you don't even know what you're talking about?
No. There is not. They cast a woman with an Indian father. To many people, she could easily pass for a Caucasian. She plays the role very well and is quite a good looking woman (boobs were outstanding). If you're triggered by that, then congratulations, you've become what the SJW crowd is.

Anna Shafer who plays Triss is an english actress and model.
q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

I can agree that she doesn't look like who I would have envisioned, but she did a pretty good job and won me over.

Katsura

No. There is not. They cast a woman with an Indian father. To many people, she could easily pass for a Caucasian. She plays the role very well and is quite a good looking woman (boobs were outstanding). If you're triggered by that, then congratulations, you've become what the SJW crowd is.

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

I can agree that she doesn't look like who I would have envisioned, but she did a pretty good job and won me over.
Are we pretending they didn't do both of these castings on purpose now? Clearly, they did. Also, it's not about what i envisioned she'd look like. It's about a game based on a book based on Polish folk lore where she is established to be white with red hair. Same goes for Yennefer, who is described as pale. That actress is not pale. If they won you over, good for you. I'm not being sarcastic here. They still did 2 blatant race changes and i'm so fucking tired of media doing this. It's almost always one way by the way. Where are the iconic black characters played by white people? That will never happen

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

Yeah, yeah. The most beautiful of the witches looks like this
708137_v9_bb.jpg

Ar¢tos

Oh no! Someone is pointing out something about my favourite product this week! Now i can't consume like a good bugman
My post in the previous page...

I didn't read any book and played about 5h of the 3rd game (got bored of the shallow combat and sold the game), so.. So far I'm finding it ...entertaining enough...
Could be better, but it could also be a lot worse, so I'm OK with it. Still have the last 2 episodes to watch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Are we pretending they didn't do both of these castings on purpose now? Clearly, they did. Also, it's not about what i envisioned she'd look like. It's about a game based on a book based on Polish folk lore where she is established to be white with red hair. Same goes for Yennefer, who is described as pale. That actress is not pale. If they won you over, good for you. I'm not being sarcastic here. They still did 2 blatant race changes and i'm so fucking tired of media doing this. It's almost always one way by the way. Where are the iconic black characters played by white people? That will never happen
People have been changing character appearances/slightly altering race for ages now. Game of Thrones did quite a few times. It's only now that people get outraged by it.

Fuz

Banned
People have been changing character appearances/slightly altering race for ages now
And it should stop.

q4bb4e71gkv11.jpg

No, she's awful.

Yenn is ok.

Last edited:

Katsura

People have been changing character appearances/slightly altering race for ages now. Game of Thrones did quite a few times. It's only now that people get outraged by it.
Not true. I've been arguing against it for ages. Nick Fury, that horrible Fantastic 4 movie etc. You're also ignoring how it's almost always one way. Where are the iconic black characters played by white people?
They remind me of Anita Sarkeesian. Just the outrage is on the opposite side.
Both sides bad. Me enlightened centrist. What a novel and fresh take. Never heard that before

Last edited:

Sygma

Yay! Lets pretend the constant race switching of white characters isn't real or matters! Lets all mindlessly consume products without caring

It absolutely doesn't matter, other people than white folks can righteously so be a fan of the franchise and play a part if they want to. These characters dont even exist to begin with outside of an imaginary depiction written in a book

Ar¢tos

So you don't know the lore and you enjoy the show? You don't care about the race changes? That's fine too. Why do you care that i care though?
Gender changes annoy me, like Dr. Frank n Furter in Rocky Horror now being a woman (playing a man that dresses like a woman) or the new Cinderella's godmother that is a gay man.
Race changes don't.
A woman is a woman, a man is a man.
Only a fucking racist would be bothered with it.

Katsura

It absolutely doesn't matter, other people than white folks can righteously so be a fan of the franchise and play a part if they want to. These characters dont even exist to begin with outside of an imaginary depiction written in a book
It doesn't matter to you. It does matter to me and a lot of other people

Fuz

Banned
Make new characters, then. Leave estabilished characters how they are.

Katsura

Gender changes annoy me, like Dr. Frank n Furter in Rocky Horror now being a woman (playing a man that dresses like a woman) or the new Cinderella's godmother that is a gay man.
Race changes don't.
A woman is a woman, a man is a man.
Only a fucking racist would be bothered with it.
When out of argument - use racist insult. Dude, you're at NPC levels now. You can't even articulate your stance

Katsura

Got something else for me than the appeal to popularity fallacy ?
That's not a fallacy because i'm not using it as an argument for anything. You should probably learn the fallacies before invoking them. Now you look ignorant. I'm simply making a statement. Why does you not caring matter more than me caring? Just ignore me and go away

Sygma

That's not a fallacy because i'm not using it as an argument for anything. You should probably learn the fallacies before invoking them. Now you look ignorant. I'm simply making a statement. Why does you not caring matter more than me caring? Just ignore me and go away

What I thought, you can't think and already contradicting yourself. Keep the whitegate fight bro

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So you don't know the lore and you enjoy the show? You don't care about the race changes? That's fine too. Why do you care that i care though?
You want to know why ?

Because people like you are deadset on making everyone else be outraged about things that in the grandscheme of things that don't matter. Race changes/appearance changes have happened for ages for as long as books have been converted into movies.

Just like the SJW crowd that screams racist/sexist/homphobe/whateverphobe, you are doing the opposite saying SJW-agenda at everything. Instead of them screaming what SJWs scream, I now see people like you screaming "liberal/SJW agenda!" everytime a person of color/strong (or weak) woman is shown. I say this as someone who absolutely despises the overly-PC culture. Trust me.

I swear if the movie Alien or Aliens were released today, people like you would be screaming that it is SJW material. Seriously, you would.

What the fuck happened to people just assuming that maybe, just maybe, the creators are just trying to entertain us? Most entertainers are liberal, that is pretty much a fact. If I only limited myself to people who shared my viewpoint I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything.

I guess, I just don't really care about such things and I am much happier person because of it.

mcjmetroid

The changes to the actors dont bother me but then I can think of other things it does bother me in..

The little mermaid for one.

Katsura

You want to know why ?

Because people like you are deadset on making everyone else be outraged about things that in the grandscheme of things that don't matter. Race changes/appearance changes have happened for ages for as long as books have been converted into movies.

Just like the SJW crowd that screams racist/sexist/homphobe/whateverphobe, you are doing the opposite saying SJW-agenda at everything. Instead of them screaming what SJWs scream, I now see people like you screaming "liberal/SJW agenda!" everytime a person of color/strong (or weak) woman is shown. I say this as someone who absolutely despises the overly-PC culture. Trust me.

I swear if the movie Alien or Aliens were released today, people like you would be screaming that it is SJW material. Seriously, you would.

What the fuck happened to people just assuming that maybe, just maybe, the creators are just trying to entertain us? Most entertainers are liberal, that is pretty much a fact. If I only limited myself to people who shared my viewpoint I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything.

I guess, I just don't really care about such things and I am much happier person because of it.
Both sides bad, again. That's fallacious because i'm not trying to cancel anyone or dox them or what ever. I'm simply expressing my opinion. If you think people are stupid enough that they will be swayed by a couple of forums posts by some random, that's one you. By the way Alien and Aliens are fucking awesome but that's besides the point

I ask again, where are the black iconic characters played by white people? They don't exist. This is almost entirely a one way street

With that being said, i'm going to bed. Merry Christmas or happy holidays if that's more appropriate in this case

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The changes to the actors dont bother me but then I can think of other things it does bother me in..

The little mermaid for one.
Yes, there are times when it's stupid. Warner Brothers supposedly trying to make Superman black would have been a perfect example. When 20th Century Fox made Johnny Storm black was another example.

Coincidentally, in both instances they involved Michael B. Jordan.

Ar¢tos

Thanks for admitting you're out of arguments and outmatched :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm simply not going to continue arguing with you because it's pointless, as if I needed arguments to defend a slightly darker woman playing the character of a white woman.
You clearly have issues with anyone with darker skin and instead of arguing with randoms in internet forums you should seek help. Hate leads to a lonely life.
Anyway, welcome to my ignore list! (I can't vouch for the skin color of the other list members, sorry!)

Top Bottom