• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Suicide Squad |OT| The Sequelboot

ManaByte

Gold Member
They made Mcfarlene toys of the Suicide Squad if you don't wanna be cringe and buy Funkos.

Not Rat Catcher II though and she was my favourite character. :(

$100 for all four figures, and that gives you King Shark via the build a figure parts. Tempting.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Set in the same universe, both the original movie and Birds of Prey happened, but it's not a continuation of either of those.
I think of it as a bond type, or Murder she Wrote type universe, the previous events sort of happened but also kinda didn't. Some of the characters or events carry over, some don't.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think of it as a bond type, or Murder she Wrote type universe, the previous events sort of happened but also kinda didn't. Some of the characters or events carry over, some don't.

Nah the other movies happened. Harley and Boomerang know each other, and Harley doesn't have her Joker tattoos anymore after she dumped him in BoP.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Totally agreed. One can just predict how she is going to react/what she is going to say. Its boring and borderline irritating now.

My favorite character was weasel. I mean...yeah he doesnt say anything and isnt in the movie much, but by God was I laughing my ass off at him. The hell is that thing? Goofy looking crazy dog or werewolf or whatever. I was really sad when
it died......kinda
Weasel was used so effectively despite the limited screen time, huh?

He probably gave me my first "gut laugh" of the film, which put me in a good mood and ready to see what else the movie had to offer.

MastaKiiLA

Just finished it. I was not impressed.
  • Boring set of characters. Bloodsport is not going to become the new Star Lord. Shark dude and Peacemaker were the best characters.
  • Team A criminally underused. What a waste of casting.
  • The mini-chapters approach had some potential, but they amounts to little more than fetch missions. There needed to have been a mini-boss mid-movie.
  • Not a very funny movie. Sharky was the comic relief. He was enjoyable. Peacemaker deserved more jokes.
Gunn did what he could with the property, but it just makes me wish we had the Ayer Cut that much more. DC trying to ape Marvel's films is a recipe for disaster. I see this ending in disaster. At least the darker tone the Snyderverse attempted gave me something different. Right now, I'm wondering why I continue to waste my time watching DC films, when Marvel movies are so much better. Black Widow shit all over this film, and that was the worst Avenger (next to Hawkeye), and featured 3 supporting characters who were introduced for the first time in that movie. You're not going to out-Marvel Marve, DC. Stop fucking trying.

tl;dr Not a bad movie, but not a good one either. Releasing in the wake of Black Widow was a bad move. This film will be quickly forgotten.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Grace Randolph is FOS

Star Trek Kirk GIF

Black Widow shit all over this film

27xby2.jpg

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

BW was a much better paced film, balanced story and action much better, and developed its characters to the point of making you care. Did anyone really care about Polka Dot Man or Rat Catcher at the end? Does anyone care if Bloodsport appears in another movie? I love Idris Elba, but he's following Will Smith's Deadshot, and playing the exact same fucking character. That's a no-win situation. Harley was Harley, but arguably her worst appearance in the DCU to date. Yes, worse than the 2016 film, where she actually gets some development, and is one of the few highlights along with Deadshot.

I love James Gunn. I love GotG. He turned Star Lord into a character a non comic fan like myself could appreciate and love. I literally finished this movie 30 minutes ago, and I don't care about anyone in the film other than the comic relief shark, and Cena's Peacemaker. And I only care about Peacemaker because he had some good comic relief moments, and showcased the most depth of character of everyone on the team. Meanwhile, I'm actively hoping that Pugh and Harbour appear in future MCU films, because they were both really good in BW.

I don't read comics, and don't give a shit about the lore. I just react to what I see in the films, and what I come away with is stronger interest in what the MCU pumps out than what DC does. I appreciate the darker DC fare, like the Burton and Nolan Batman movies, and I enjoyed the MoS, BvS, and the Snyder Cut. I think DC has to go tonally different from Marvel, or the comparisons are inevitable. And compared to Marvel, DC will always come up short. Throwing a Marvel director into the mix isn't going to swing the needle.

EruditeHobo

Structure was a bit all over the place... but the characters were mostly a blast. Bunch of laugh out loud moments, lots of great gore, all in all a fun time at the movies.

I really liked the Idris/Cena interplay, but ultimately this is a showcase for Harley. And because of that they are so lucky they got Robbie for this role because she kills it every time; the action scene of hers was excellent, she's funny and charming, even the moments of drama she play perfectly.

A+ performance for Margot. B+ movie overall. Would watch again!
Actually looking forward to the Peacemaker show as a result of this.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Saw it last night , loved it.

King Shark stole it for me and damn John Cena as Peacemaker, solid solid choice.

I hope James Gunn continues this it shows he was relieved not being tied die by Marvel/Disney PG13.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd prefer this is a one and done and Gunn just does whatever with the Peacemaker show. Also MastaKiila is fucking crazy, this is Harley's best movie to date and I cared about Rat Catcher II, she adds a lot of emotional connection to the characters because she's a sympathetic character placed in impossible odds for minor crimes she's committed. She's not actually evil like the other characters. In the closing moments of the movie when she's holding that certain characters clothing and mourning, there's no real words spoken, it's shown not told.

The movie has quips and shit posts but when it gets to the serious amped up moments it hits every moment perfectly. There's a real sense of loss, ESPECIALLY during the third act when you're on edge even more than normal. Anyone could die.

I appreciate how well paced the whole tower segment is and the split scenario between what happens upstairs and downstairs and then the joining of the two at the climax.

sol_bad

No was to watch this in Sydney but if Black Widow was a box office failure, this is a box office blunder.

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s a better film than the first movie and there’s plenty of likeable but one-note characters that are well acted, but overall it’s mediocre movie. While amusing it wasn’t nearly as funny as GotG or even Dead Pool 2 with X-Force moment.

Black Widow was another OK film this Summer but I’m currently not sure if this one is better or worse. Seemed kinda similar in that it’s got nothing to draw you back into watching it again nor did you take away anything truly memorable from the film.

I saw this as a free movie redemption at the theatres just to get out of the COVID rut, so it met my expectations. Not sure if I would have paid for a ticket though.

I think the DC animated films are still better overall.

Dr_Salt

Had alot of fun with this movie, I think it might even be in my top 5 superhero movies. I wish I could have seen it in an imax theater. Must have been amazing.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

All the slower character moments kind of killed the pacing for me. The movie was best when it leaned purely into the comedy and silly brutality. We don’t need to be endeared to anything here.

That said, peacemaker is the best part of the movie. Cena is a treasure.

Last edited:

Razorback

Didn't care for it. Only watched because it was getting a lot of praise but I was unengaged throughout. It felt very disjointed like some pieces show potential but the whole together doesn't quite fit. In the genre of fun and edgy superhero movies, it doesn't do anything worthy of note compared to something like both Deadpools. They don't take things seriously, but then at other moments they do and I don't see how I'm supposed to care given how the movie itself didn't seem to care a few moments ago. The humor has that improvised quality that comes across as being very funny for the people on the set but felt forced while watching. But it probably wasn't even improvised, they wrote those jokes and that was the best they came up with.

This is one of those times I seem to be completely out of phase with most people. I really don't get what they like about it.
3/10

Aggelos

Remember the song by The Jim Carroll Band, featured also in Dawn of the Dead (2004). Another collaboration between James Gunn and Zack Snyder.

Dr_Salt

Remember the song by The Jim Carroll Band, featured also in Dawn of the Dead (2004). Another collaboration between James Gunn and Zack Snyder.

Yea I was thinking the same thing with that Johnny Cash intro. I think now we know who chose the music for Dotd2004.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not a bad movie, or an unenjoyable one, but the absolute epitome of "less than the sum of its parts."

My takeaway was basically a shrug. So much effort, so much talent involved, but for what? As a narrative I can think of Troma movies with more impact.

I guess the thing for me is that it all felt somewhat non-committal. Suicide Squad doesn't really go all-in on anything. Tons of early Peter Jackson-style splatter, but there's no edge to it, its just presented as more empty spectacle. Its campy and silly, but never gets properly anarchic. There's action, but zero dramatic tension to make it feel like it matters.

Even its nihilistic world view is nihilism-lite.

Dr_Salt

BW was a much better paced film, balanced story and action much better, and developed its characters to the point of making you care. Did anyone really care about Polka Dot Man or Rat Catcher at the end? Does anyone care if Bloodsport appears in another movie? I love Idris Elba, but he's following Will Smith's Deadshot, and playing the exact same fucking character. That's a no-win situation. Harley was Harley, but arguably her worst appearance in the DCU to date. Yes, worse than the 2016 film, where she actually gets some development, and is one of the few highlights along with Deadshot.

I love James Gunn. I love GotG. He turned Star Lord into a character a non comic fan like myself could appreciate and love. I literally finished this movie 30 minutes ago, and I don't care about anyone in the film other than the comic relief shark, and Cena's Peacemaker. And I only care about Peacemaker because he had some good comic relief moments, and showcased the most depth of character of everyone on the team. Meanwhile, I'm actively hoping that Pugh and Harbour appear in future MCU films, because they were both really good in BW.

I don't read comics, and don't give a shit about the lore. I just react to what I see in the films, and what I come away with is stronger interest in what the MCU pumps out than what DC does. I appreciate the darker DC fare, like the Burton and Nolan Batman movies, and I enjoyed the MoS, BvS, and the Snyder Cut. I think DC has to go tonally different from Marvel, or the comparisons are inevitable. And compared to Marvel, DC will always come up short. Throwing a Marvel director into the mix isn't going to swing the needle.
This movie had more originality than the last 5 years of Marvel movies. I stopped watching them because the plot structure is literally the same in all of them and if you have seen one you pretty much have seen them all.
Idk how anyone can say a cookie cutter movie like BW was better than this.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The MVP in this movie is

the operatives who hit Amanda Wallers head

Also the nerd guy reaction make me cukle ( " OMG..we got a frikn kaiju over here !!" )

AmuroChan

It's a fun movie and I enjoyed it. There were some parts that were genuinely funny, and others that didn't land with me at all. The action is good, but not great. And I would cut out a couple of the music video montages. There were just too many of them IMO.

Dithadder

For utilization of Flula Borg, i give it 1/10, overall 3/10. None of the jokes were funny, the gory violence gets old after the first instance and its nonstop, the rest is baseline competent.

Last edited:

Orion2

Banned
just saw Suicide Squad 2021, had no expectations and what a surprise it was, I liked it a lot, 7th best DC live action movie, better than the 2016 one for sure and way better than recent movies like Black Widow, thousands times better, best movie of 2021

Last edited:
I watched the 2016 movie for the first time before this one (extended). Every Joker scene is the goddamn Everest of cringe and it's quite obvious it was torn apart in editing... And yet I liked it more than the 2021 movie. It has higher highs, a more interesting story and some actual character development. It looks better too.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This movie is abysmal. Told my friend im done watching any movie he suggests from now on lol

Seriously how in the hell do James Gunn and Zack Snyder secure their roles as directors/producers for blockbuster films like this? They fucking suck eggs. Those two are the worst

Their films are nonstop cringe fests, and in the worst way. Was literally sweating at certain scenes because the cringe was desecrating my soul

FUCK

Airbus Jr

Banned
This movie is abysmal. Told my friend im done watching any movie he suggests from now on lol

Seriously how in the hell do James Gunn and Zack Snyder secure their roles as directors/producers for blockbuster films like this? They fucking suck eggs. Those two are the worst

Their films are nonstop cringe fests, and in the worst way. Was literally sweating at certain scenes because the cringe was desecrating my soul

FUCK
If u said snyder and gun are the worst may we heard your suggestion on who to replace them

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes.. felt like I was watching a trailer and not the actually movie, ugh

Cutty Flam

Banned
If u said snyder and gun are the worst may we heard your suggestion on who to replace them
Fucking anybody bro. Nic Cage on his off day is going to roll better film than those two dipshits. I don’t watch Super Hero flicks much anymore. Why? They pretty much all became pussies firing corny ass jokes left and right until the film ends

Let’s review The Suicide Squad real quick

Costume Wardrobe - shit
Casting Director - garbage
Scriptwriting - cringe
Story - wtf.. is this shit???
Villain - lol
Acting - horrendous cringe
Soundtrack - cringe af

Entire movie is fucking soft as fuck. I didn’t think it could get any worse than Disney’s handling of Star Wars but this is tenfold the mess. The song choices never fit. And at the end, wtf was up with Harley Quin just jumping into the star fish’s eye like that lmao. No sound effect at all, she didn’t even need the javelin the fucking eye was just a giant pool…

I actually cannot believe that this film is somehow well received by critics and fans alike. Shit is pure cringe. John Cena looking like a conplete doofus over here in his outfit who the fuck was in charge of overlooking the costumes. Man, I don’t even give this movie a 1/10 it’s somewhere within like 0.2-0.4/10 max. Conpletely vapid

It makes my top 5 worst movies, easily. Compared to movies like Spider-Man, The Dark Knight Rises etc. this excuse for a blockbuster superhero/supervillain film pales in comparison, in every single way. I honestly do not understand how anyone could enjoy this

Neolombax

Movie was okay, much better than Ayer's Suicide Squad. Can be funny at times, sometimes I felt it missed the mark. I was hoping to be completely wowed by this, there's a review are saying this is the best DC film since The Dark Knight trilogy? I somehow prefer Aquaman more than this haha.

I'm glad though that they're exploring more from the DC universe. Solid 8/10 for me.

I give 8/10, much better than most of the latest star wars trilogy, and much better than most of the crap hollywood outputs nowadays.

But despite having some fun messages, and being very entertaining with wonderful art, it still lacked the spark in my eyes to call it a tour de force, creme de la creme.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
After watching this, I really don't think I can take anymore of these brain-rot superhero movies.

I now just tend to find my finger heading towards the FF button on the remote, too easily now.

Boomerang's role was like Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat Annihilation lol
He's 100% returning if they make more of these but it was still upsetting. I can picture him pulling out an Australian ID in the bar scene...

Last edited:

Nvzman

black widow was ok for like 45 minutes and then as soon as the prison break action scene ended the entire rest of the movie was complete dogshit riddled with the most cringe-worthy and unfunny jokes in almost any modern movie I've seen. I haven't even seen TSS but I can already say its better than BW lol

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
This movie had more originality than the last 5 years of Marvel movies. I stopped watching them because the plot structure is literally the same in all of them and if you have seen one you pretty much have seen them all.
Idk how anyone can say a cookie cutter movie like BW was better than this.
8uoQibq.png
They can say it's better because they feel like they're supposed to say it's better. I'm 100% with you.

Top Bottom