• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shaking skyscraper - Made in China

yuadesa

The problem is that when a building or let say bridge falls down/apart in the U.S. it is world news whereas in China it happens so often they nickname those types of building as I believe tofu-dreg. The U.S. does have some infrastructure issues no doubt but comparing it to what China has is ridiculous.

Is it? An apartment building in miami just collapsed, NY subway looks like an apocalyptic wasteland, california spends billions and billions on a high speed rail and cant even get it off the ground, bridges still being used long past their lifespan, is the water in Flint even drinkable yet? Cant even get damn potholes filled. Just seems really ignorant to bump a thread about poor infrastructure in china when the us just had a major infrastructure accident.

nush

Is it? An apartment building in miami just collapsed, NY subway looks like an apocalyptic wasteland, california spends billions and billions on a high speed rail and cant even get it off the ground, bridges still being used long past their lifespan, is the water in Flint even drinkable yet? Cant even get damn potholes filled. Just seems really ignorant to bump a thread about poor infrastructure in china when the us just had a major infrastructure accident.

Yes it is.

Chegongmiao metro station opened in 2016

Chegongmiao metro station in 2017

5ZXxNXu.jpg

New York subway is over 100 years old, not really a fair comparison of who's got the worst infrastructure.

Last edited:

yuadesa

Yes it is.

Chegongmiao metro station opened in 2016

Chegongmiao metro station in 2017

5ZXxNXu.jpg

New York subway is over 100 years old, not really a fair comparison of who's got the worst infrastructure.

That water is from a typhoon that hit the city in the early morning, and by 9 am the same day the water was gone and the subway was running normally. Guess you forgot to mention that? Shall I post pictures of a town hit by a tornado and blame the poor US infrastructure for that?

I would hope the US has a much higher level of safety and quality for their infrastructure given the disparity between the two countries. China's issues seem to happen because they are expanding and growing so fast, which leads to some companies cutting corners. What's the US's reason? I'm not trying to dunk on the US exclusively but i dont understand the mentality of those that seem to be cheering shit like this in china when its clearly happening in the us as well.

Isn't all this Chinaphobia considered Politics? I mean, the USA is a fucking menace to the South America I live in, but I always found it funny how the USA likes to create this paranoia that China and Russia are boogeymen when the USA itself is a bigger menace to the world than they are.

Last edited:

Mistake

Isn't all this Chinaphobia considered Politics? I mean, the USA is a fucking menace to the South America I live in, but I always found it funny how the USA likes to create this paranoia that China and Russia are boogeymen when the USA itself is a bigger menace to the world than they are.
Chinaphobia? Really? Well the thread is mostly about this specific building, and naturally people who lived in china would chime in with their experiences. If you want to make a thread about the cracks in the hoover dam, then do it.

Chinaphobia? Really? Well the thread is mostly about this specific building, and naturally people who lived in china would chime in with their experiences. If you want to make a thread about the cracks in the hoover dam, then do it.
I mean, the first post itself mentions the CCP. There's even people mentioning the coronavirus here. For what other reasons do people usually talk about China if not about politics and crazy conspiracy theories? There's, like, a whole announcement on the top of the page telling to not talk about politics. It seems contradictory.

Mistake

I mean, the first post itself mentions the CCP. There's even people mentioning the coronavirus here. For what other reasons do people usually talk about China if not about politics and crazy conspiracy theories? There's, like, a whole announcement on the top of the page telling to not talk about politics. It seems contradictory.
It’s really hard for me to look at your post and not see a hard slant. China is center stage of the world now next to the US, so of course there might be comments like that. Majority are about infrastructure. You complaining isn’t exactly adding to the conversation

So on topic. Do we have any structural engineers on gaf with some ideas? Maybe even with funny stories? My first apartment in china had the floor angled away from the shower drain. I had to build a wall so that it wouldn’t flood the living room

It’s really hard for me to look at your post and not see a hard slant. China is center stage of the world now next to the US, so of course there might be comments like that. Majority are about infrastructure. You complaining isn’t exactly adding to the conversation
There's literally a "Made in China" on the thread title. You really can't say I'm the one trying to stir something here. :LOL:

Mistake

There's literally a "Made in China" on the thread title. You really can't say I'm the one trying to stir something here. :LOL:
Well judging by the electronics I’ve used in the last 10 years, tools, and various car parts, I’m certainly not impressed by “Made in China.” Seeing as you’re probably on the take, please forward this to your manager

It's about product quality standards. Which countries like China and Russia have close to none.

"Chinaphobia" lol come back then they don't have a reputation for stealing and lying.

Tschumi

Resonance... Look up bridge flexing from resonance events.. can't quite remember the term

Compared to Tacoma it's okay, but yeah pretty silly that it happened in the first place

It's about product quality standards. Which countries like China and Russia have close to none.

"Chinaphobia" lol come back then they don't have a reputation for stealing and lying.
Quality control in China can be a hit or miss. I've seen amazing things, but I've also seen pretty shitty things quality wise (still, mostly amazing things).

But please, accusing China of lying and stealing while the USA is still around must be a fucking joke.

yuadesa

I'm not American, but I'm aware of it.

What's your point? Mine is brand new station vs 100 year old station.

You're comparing a natural disaster which was fixed the day it occurred, despite what you might think to a city being unable for a variety of reasons to do basic maintenance and repairs over an extreme period of time. it isnt a valid comparison, that's the point

nush

You're comparing a natural disaster which was fixed the day it occurred, despite what you might think to a city being unable for a variety of reasons to do basic maintenance and repairs over an extreme period of time. it isnt a valid comparison, that's the point
My quote wasn't directed at you Wumao.

Mistake

Quality control in China can be a hit or miss. I've seen amazing things, but I've also seen pretty shitty things quality wise (still, mostly amazing things).

But please, accusing China of lying and stealing while the USA is still around must be a fucking joke.
You’re right. Copyright infringement isn’t even a thing in China. I certainly remember as a young lad in the US, playing games on my nintendo polystation, after buying mike sneakers and eating at Donalds. Have you tried City Spirit Go? It's so good!

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

My quote wasn't directed at you Wumao.
Dude. How are you even still on this forum? Politics got shitbinned because of dumbass shit like this. You can trumpet how much you lived in a place all you want. You're agenda is still as transparent as glass. Chill with the insults when people call you out for clear xenophobic shit like this. If you were actually trying to be objective, you wouldn't have to resort to name-calling. Your argument could stand on its own merits.

NahaNago

NY subways has always looked like that for as long as I've been aware of it, California can't push it off the ground because they have so many organizations and people they have to fight versus how the Chinese government can push through a project the people be damned, I don't even want to think about how much work would be required to make Flint's water drinkable, no country has potholes?, I do think that bumping the thread after the us infrastructure accident happened is weird , maybe wait for the next China infrastructure incident.

Top Bottom