• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant gold Mao statue erected in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
£312,000 that could have been distributed to feed, clothe and educate the surrounding villages/area.

Ace.

Also the statue looks like a primary school project scaled up 1000%. And it ain't even gold, it's just sort of yellow.

bobawesome

I've been up all night and I read that as "giant gold Mario". My initial reaction was: "Fuck yeah, that sounds awesome!"

Every mass murderer deserves a statue like this, that's for sure. I think Stalin and Hitler need one, too.

Stalin had quite a few, there's just not much left of them

640px-Szt%C3%A1lin_szobor_Budapest.jpg

355px-Stalin's_Boots.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
When do they start work on the toilet seat? That's what it looks like he's doing.

I think it's crazy and a waste of money. Does it really need to be that big?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The USSR at least got a lot of that shit out of their system when Khrushchev took power and denounced Stalin.

China has too much of a face culture to ever do the same to Mao and the crimes that occurred during his reign.

I am sure the reason is not that Mao is fair and whatever, but its done so some politician can earn money from the tax-funded statue to his own pockets.

The USSR at least got a lot of that shit out of their system when Khrushchev took power and denounced Stalin.

China has too much of a face culture to ever do the same to Mao and the crimes that occurred during his reign.

I've heard that sympathy for stalin has actually been on the rise again for the last few years

Hail to the biggest criminal of the 20th century.

His reception in China is a complete mess. But then again, anything not-Hitler seems to be forgotten anywhere.

Actually not. At least partially not.

Everyone in China actually agress that the shit he did during the Cultural revolution was one of the worst times during the young Chinese history. While you have the glorified Mao/WW2 tv dramas on chinese TV, you also have the dramas about poverty, agony, shitty behaviour of soldiers, shitty economic decisions by Mao during the cultural revolution.

Chinese have a saying. 70% of what Mao did was great, helped China, the other 30% he did was shitty.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Actually not. At least partially not.

Everyone in China actually agress that the shit he did during the Cultural revolution was one of the worst times during the young Chinese history. While you have the glorified Mao/WW2 tv dramas on chinese TV, you also have the dramas about poverty, agony, shitty behaviour of soldiers, shitty economic decisions by Mao during the cultural revolution.

Chinese have a saying. 70% of what Mao did was great, helped China, the other 30% he did was shitty.

Have you ever heard of the Secret Speech? To your expert knowledge has anything similar occurred within the Chinese government? Because that's what I'm talking about.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it would be funny if china would use their cash reserves to buy up all the gold in the world to build enormous statues of mao. gold paint, however, is just lame. at least build statues of robots like turkey if you're going to skimp on materials.

numble

Have you ever heard of the Secret Speech? To your expert knowledge has anything similar occurred within the Chinese government? Because that's what I'm talking about.

The 70:30 line came from Deng Xiaoping.

The issue is unlike Stalin, Mao basically led the peasant revolution that founded the government. So he was Lenin and Stalin rolled into one. Khrushchev advocated a return to a Leninist foundation in denouncing Stalin, something you can't really do when Mao is the Lenin-like foundation of the country.

1> Plenty of Chinese support the Cultural Revolution. The people in the areas where this statue was built, specifically.

2> There are not really any TV shows that take place in what could be considered modern China. If you've seen it, then it isn't made in China, but made in Taiwan.

Yes. The denunciation and persecution of what is called "The Gang of Four", while not as direct as the Secret Speech, is essentially the rolling back of Mao Zedong policies.

As mentioned above, the people in the areas where this statue is erected are the people who were most affected, yet they're also the people who love Mao the most. Modern Chinese look through the Mao years as ones where everyone was equal, everyone worked together, and everyone was supported.

Source: am Chinese

Bregor

The 70:30 line came from Deng Xiaoping.

The issue is unlike Stalin, Mao basically led the peasant revolution that founded the government. So he was Lenin and Stalin rolled into one. Khrushchev advocated a return to a Leninist foundation in denouncing Stalin, something you can't really do when Mao is the Lenin-like foundation of the country.

The trouble is that the founding of the nation and independence from imperialist influence is the limit of his beneficial accomplishments. Once he tried to govern, he did very poorly.

Chuckie

I don't think you are sure.

I am very sure. I am not sure if you grasp the concept of a word that can refer to more things.

This is what is basically happening for a while now:

Someone: Hey an orange statue

GrizzleBoy: That statue isn't an orange.

numble

2> There are not really any TV shows that take place in what could be considered modern China. If you've seen it, then it isn't made in China, but made in Taiwan.

There are plenty of these shows in China and filmed in China. You can tell they are made in China because of the overuse of ADR. I live near a park where they do a lot of filming for these shows.

Here's a random, list of the top ten fiction TV shows in China, a majority take place in modern China:
http://www.whatsonweibo.com/overview-of-chinas-2015-top-tv-dramas/

Source: I am in China.

There are plenty of these shows in China and filmed in China. You can tell they are made in China because of the overuse of ADR. I live near a park where they do a lot of filming for these shows.

Here's a random, list of the top ten fiction TV shows in China, a majority take place in modern China:
http://www.whatsonweibo.com/overview-of-chinas-2015-top-tv-dramas/

Source: I am in China.

None of these shows are specifically about Mao or the Cultural Revolution.

You said modern China... how was I supposed to know you meant 40-50 years ago?

Because the comment I was responding to was about TV shows set in China 40 - 50 years ago.

ed

Actually, I'm sorry. I see the confusion. The comment I replied to was about TV shows depicting negative things about Mao/CR/the government. There vast majority of TV shows tend to take place in ancient China specifically because the government does not allow you to depict negative political intrigue about modern China. You simply can't create a show that is critical of the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom