• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shaking skyscraper - Made in China

nush

Seg Plaza in Shenzhen started to shake on the 18th May and the building was evacuated. It's since shook several times more since then. The first time is shook the official line was it was the wind, change in temperature and subway lines causing the shaking. I've since seen a few longer form youtube videos discussing this building and it was a rush project and the concrete filled steel tube construction is starting to fail due to the difference in temperature expansion between steel and the concrete in the tubes. I think this is going to fall at some point.

The building isn't just the skyscraper but there's the biggest electronics market in Shenzhen spread out of multiple floors at it's base.

CCP "The buildings is well within safety limits"

sUpua6W.gif

zeorhymer

It's shaken several times since the first report.
Aftershocks, underground nuclear tests, liquefaction, who knows what's going on there. Just sounds weird that it hasn't done anything for a long while and now it's shaking multiple times.

MastaKiiLA

Shoddy construction is usually a safe bet with Chinese architecture, but more facts needed. The explanation that some of the supports are starting to erode makes sense, but isn't fact. Whatever the cause, I wouldn't go near that building...probably ever again. It would be a fucking disaster if it collapsed, given its size. Hopefully they can fix it.

Yeah but im pretty sure same as in Japan, they have the massive pendulum system under these huge buildings that actually let it sway (in case of an earthquake) so its not like its gonna crack and break in half. People ran out of the building and screamed because they thought it was an earthquake.

Yeah but im pretty sure same as in Japan, they have the massive pendulum system under these huge buildings that actually let it sway (in case of an earthquake) so its not like its gonna crack and break in half. People ran out of the building and screamed because they thought it was an earthquake.

Japan is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, though, and China isn't. Japan actually cares about it's citizens too.

That happens every time china is offended.
billions of Chinese felling being hurt propagate air waves of high pitch sound.

This time in particular was when John Cena said Taiwan is a country.

Japan is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, though, and China isn't. Japan actually cares about it's citizens too.

True but this is standard procedure for buildings of this size. Dubai is not prone to earthquakes but they need these systems in buildings so tall because of wind. Winds at that height are much stronger. If there was no sway system, these skyscrapers would crack and break because of constant tension.

nush

billions of Chinese felling being hurt propagate air waves of high pitch sound.

China's CCP's to go to is ALWAYS "You've hurt the feelings of the Chinese people". It's bullshit as the Chinese people are not easily offended snowflakes and they'll keep using that reason until someone calls them out on it. They've seen Twitter, they know what works.

HoodWinked

Very weird says it was built 20 years ago so for it to start now is concerning.

Those white things at the top are shaking pretty fast maybe it's like those door springs where it oscillates faster and faster as it stops

Kenpachii

I live in amsterdam, the thing is why a lot of those projects are holded back or never realized like skyscrappers is because of the citizens that live there. Whenever somebody wants to build a building that looks completely different from the status quo, everybody gets informed about it in the neighborhood. If a single complains come in and those are seen as valid by a judge, the government will forbid the builder to make it. or if complains are made with solutions they will put those solutions forwards.

This means anything out of the idea of the surroundings will never happen.

Then of course u got what the video tells historical value property's which u simple can't rebuild. u can't even rebuild the inside of it. The features and shapes are all protected and when u buy a house like that its hte major point of attention. If you do decide to destroy something and give zero fucks. U will have to restore it and rebuild it entirely and all on your own cost. So rebelling against this shit is impossible.

Even in villages u have this going on in the outside area's or even farm villages. U think lets be fun and make my house purple? yea, aint happening mate. U can now repaint it all over again.

So even if for example a guy wants to make a skyscraper and buys up all the houses in the area and wants to level it, and starts to build it? he will get a letter from the goverment that he can take it down and rebuild the houses to the teeth of what they where.

The video is also spot on with modern architectural design. It's all cold ugly and devoid of character aka sterile which also created a huge stink of adoption towards it.

Boss Mog

It's resonance causing the building to shake. Any structure big or small can be destroyed if subjected to the right frequency for a period of time. My guess is there was a group of people performing the same movements in unison somewhere in the building and that's what caused the resonance. It's why soldiers no longer march in unison when crossing bridges after it cause some collapses.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Aftershocks, underground nuclear tests, liquefaction, who knows what's going on there. Just sounds weird that it hasn't done anything for a long while and now it's shaking multiple times.
Just growing shocks. Should be all out of its system now.

Mistake

Very weird says it was built 20 years ago so for it to start now is concerning.

Those white things at the top are shaking pretty fast maybe it's like those door springs where it oscillates faster and faster as it stops
Most buildings in china are only rated for 50 years. I've seen open welds on the street and one-armed construction workers. I wouldn't be surprised if Happy Tree Friends was a reenactment
latest

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
It's resonance causing the building to shake. Any structure big or small can be destroyed if subjected to the right frequency for a period of time. My guess is there was a group of people performing the same movements in unison somewhere in the building and that's what caused the resonance. It's why soldiers no longer march in unison when crossing bridges after it cause some collapses.
Maybe a large group was dancing? Chinese people like to dance in large groups for some reason :D

It was fun to watch when I was in Beijing

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just got back from Chicago. The skyscrapers there are crazy. Had no idea about some of the insane ideas that go into the technical planning of these buildings.

Standing under this one is pretty nuts. The base is so narrow it doesn't look possible. I guess the top is filled with water that shifts and absorbs wind and weight fluctuations.

150-n-riverside-eric-rogers-006.jpg

down 2 orth

Shaking building.

Coronavirus.

i-have-come-fd63a77b37.jpg

He's right though. China's still very much a third world country, and the attitudes toward health or the well-being of others are light years away from what you would expect in a country like Japan, Germany, or the U.S. At one point restaurant were almost all using re-used cooking oil purchased wholesale (highly carcinogenic, and also disgusting). Cheaper restaurants commonly used (and I imagine still do) cardboard as a substitute for meat filling in dumplings. Human hair was even found to be an ingredient in a soy sauce factory. And then there was the poisonous baby formula that was killing babies across the country. One expat I know had his wife die giving birth, and my good friend's wife had her uterus permanently damaged during a simple operation. If you spend a little time in China, you'll realize that "China + Quality Control + Viruses" is a scary fucking thought.

GymWolf

I live in amsterdam, the thing is why a lot of those projects are holded back or never realized like skyscrappers is because of the citizens that live there. Whenever somebody wants to build a building that looks completely different from the status quo, everybody gets informed about it in the neighborhood. If a single complains come in and those are seen as valid by a judge, the government will forbid the builder to make it. or if complains are made with solutions they will put those solutions forwards.

This means anything out of the idea of the surroundings will never happen.

Then of course u got what the video tells historical value property's which u simple can't rebuild. u can't even rebuild the inside of it. The features and shapes are all protected and when u buy a house like that its hte major point of attention. If you do decide to destroy something and give zero fucks. U will have to restore it and rebuild it entirely and all on your own cost. So rebelling against this shit is impossible.

Even in villages u have this going on in the outside area's or even farm villages. U think lets be fun and make my house purple? yea, aint happening mate. U can now repaint it all over again.

So even if for example a guy wants to make a skyscraper and buys up all the houses in the area and wants to level it, and starts to build it? he will get a letter from the goverment that he can take it down and rebuild the houses to the teeth of what they where.

The video is also spot on with modern architectural design. It's all cold ugly and devoid of character aka sterile which also created a huge stink of adoption towards it.
Dude, are you okay if i ask you something in pm about the covid situation in your city for my future trip?!

Loope

I just got back from Chicago. The skyscrapers there are crazy. Had no idea about some of the insane ideas that go into the technical planning of these buildings.

Standing under this one is pretty nuts. The base is so narrow it doesn't look possible. I guess the top is filled with water that shifts and absorbs wind and weight fluctuations.

There is a lot of systems, usually hidden from the public eye to deal with things like That. Pendulum, dampers in the foundations. Some even(if it is made of steel) introduce articulate connections on sensible points to reduce stress on some rods, aided by huge dampers, like the ones you see in cars.

Its not unusual to have 40 cm displacements at the top. They need to be somewhat flexible or else they would crack. The elevator shafts are very important in these types of buildings. Actually the sears tower marked the deviation from the usual structural design (huge block tower) to a stratified design like you see in Dubai.

nkarafo

I don't get this. What did they really gain by making the base smaller? Would the building be more expensive otherwise? Less functional? They had limits in how much steet area they could use?

If they did this just to prove they can and brag about it, it's a stupid priority to have when you are making a building where thousands of people are going to be in every day. I know the building is good, otherwise it probably wouldn't exist now, but it''s still a stupid priority. Even if they had to sacrifice 1% of it's stability and make a 99% safe building (with 95% being the target for acceptable stability or something), i still wouldn't want them to sacrifice that extra point just to make the building more impressive to look at.

Loope

I don't get this. What did they really gain by making the base smaller? Would the building be more expensive otherwise? Less functional? They had limits in how much steet area they could use?

If they did this just to prove they can and brag about it, it's a stupid priority to have when you are making a building where thousands of people are going to be in every day. I know the building is good, otherwise it probably wouldn't exist now, but it''s still a stupid priority. Even if they had to sacrifice 1% of it's stability and make a 99% safe building (with 95% being the target for acceptable stability or something), i still wouldn't want them to sacrifice that extra point just to make the building more impressive to look at.
True, but modern architecture is like that. They don't give a crap about the rest, it's form before function and the structural engineer should take care of the rest, it's how they think (not all obviously).There are days that i actually just want to tell them to fuck off.

AJUMP23

My sons name is written on the top of that tallest skyscraper on the left. They had all the final parts of the cladding sitting on the street waiting to be lifted up, so I pulled out a sharpie and wrote his name on it.
A vandal.

Top Bottom