• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

m1QCx5I.gif

Just show the damn box and some software dude! All of this could have easily been relayed in a blog post or a media blurb...

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Man, seems like I'm watching an online class on IT Architecture because my school is closed due to Coronavirus.

Last edited:
I'm extremely sure they've targeted 2019 release with that narrow 36CUs! Sorry but I think they've failed this gen for real innovation and having the best available AMD hw of the time.... 36CUs my ass it will sustain 1.8GHz if it is lucky in winter time and that's on it's luck day

In summer this will sound worse than PS4 Pro and downclock to 1.6GHz for low 30fps while SeX is locked to it's clocks and cool and quiet....

octiny

Banned

Full specs released:

CPU: Up to 3.5ghz 8/16
GPU: Up to 2.23ghz @ 10.28tf 36CU
Ram: 16GB

Nothing is locked. Let the meltdowns begin.

"On a basic level, we already know that PlayStation 5 uses AMD's excellent Zen 2 CPU technology with prior communications confirming eight physical cores and 16 threads - but now we know how fast they are clocked, with PS5 delivering frequencies up to 3.5GHz. Discussing the nature of CPU and GPU clock speeds is going to require some careful explanation because Cerny actually described frequencies as being 'capped'. For the CPU, 3.5GHz is at the top end of the spectrum, and he also suggests that this is the typical speed - but under certain conditions, it can run slower."

"Sony's customised version of the AMD RDNA 2 GPU features 36 compute units running at frequencies that are capped at 2.23GHz, effectively delivering 10.28TF of peak compute performance. However, again, while 2.23GHz is the limit and also the typical speed, it can drop lower based on the workloads being demanded of it. PS5 uses a boost clock then - and we'll explain that presently - but equally importantly, it's important to remember that performance from an RDNA compute unit far outstrips a PS4 or PS4 Pro equivalent, based on an older architecture."

Top Bottom