• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Quality of Gamecube HDMI Adapters

Last Cyber Monday Gamestop ran a deal online, 1 - EON GCHD Mk-II GameCube HDMI Adapter and 3 Gamecube titles for $150. It was too good to be true, so I picked a few titles and put it in my cart. I waited, didn't want it be an impulse purchase and when I returned to my cart, the whole inventory was gone. Suffice to say, I missed out on a killer deal and I haven't picked up the adapter since. Everything I have read about it is amazing.

What has GAF's experience been?

I picked up a Hyperkin Nintendo adapter that was a basic GC to HDMI solution, unfortunately it has to be sent back since I can't get a clean signal when hooked up to an Elgato HD60S+.

I'm aware that Pound makes a Gamecube cable, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Mocklogan

Neo Member
Last Cyber Monday Gamestop ran a deal online, 1 - EON GCHD Mk-II GameCube HDMI Adapter and 3 Gamecube titles for $150. It was too good to be true, so I picked a few titles and put it in my cart. I waited, didn't want it be an impulse purchase and when I returned to my cart, the whole inventory was gone. Suffice to say, I missed out on a killer deal and I haven't picked up the adapter since. Everything I have read about it is amazing.

What has GAF's experience been?

I picked up a Hyperkin Nintendo adapter that was a basic GC to HDMI solution, unfortunately it has to be sent back since I can't get a clean signal when hooked up to an Elgato HD60S+.

I'm aware that Pound makes a Gamecube cable, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
You should pick up Insurrection Industries HDMI adapter. It's half the price of the Eon & it's made way better!

stranno

If you want an HDMI Gamecube you should get a WiiU. It's scaler could be better and it only outputs limited range. But I suspect that the quality would be far better than an HDMI adapter for Gamecube.

You can use your pads with the official or third party USB adapter but you can't use the discs or memory cards. You need to use Nintendon't for both.

You would get something like this:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what she said ^
however playing gamecube games on WiiU is not legally possible i think? (besides the obv ports)

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There’s nothing inherently illegal about it, assuming the original games are owned. And besides: who cares? We’re talking about 15+ year old games on 8 year old hardware.
whatever makes you sleep at night filthy pirate

Thaedolus

then out of all people you should know

Know what? I don’t keep/collect games because I’ve got some weird fetish about something’s arbitrary value. I like to play video games and when I play them, I like to do so in the best conditions possible. I have some now stupidly expensive component cable for my GameCube out of dumb luck for having bought it almost 20 years ago. I’m not going to feel bad if someone with a Wii U mods it to output even better image quality to an HDTV because muh principles or something. The point is to play games and enjoy the hobby, and nobody who developed this stuff decades ago is losing sleep over it, so why should I?

I like my OG hardware and games because emulation and input lag bug me, and I’m fortunate enough to have space to keep it all and my parents never threw it all away. If some kid wants to play Super Metroid on his Wii U but doesn’t have a credit card to pay Nintendo for a 26 year old game, I’m not going to lose sleep. Enjoy the game kid

Adam_802

Get a Carby. Best build quality and cheaper. Pair it with an mClassic and your GC games will seem almost like an HD remaster.

Ban Puncher

what she said ^
however playing gamecube games on WiiU is not legally possible i think? (besides the obv ports)
There’s nothing inherently illegal about it, assuming the original games are owned. And besides: who cares? We’re talking about 15+ year old games on 8 year old hardware.
whatever makes you sleep at night filthy pirate
Wanna see pics of all the original retro games and consoles I own? Maybe we should take this to DMs
then out of all people you should know
Know what? I don’t keep/collect games because I’ve got some weird fetish about something’s arbitrary value. I like to play video games and when I play them, I like to do so in the best conditions possible. I have some now stupidly expensive component cable for my GameCube out of dumb luck for having bought it almost 20 years ago. I’m not going to feel bad if someone with a Wii U mods it to output even better image quality to an HDTV because muh principles or something. The point is to play games and enjoy the hobby, and nobody who developed this stuff decades ago is losing sleep over it, so why should I?

I like my OG hardware and games because emulation and input lag bug me, and I’m fortunate enough to have space to keep it all and my parents never threw it all away. If some kid wants to play Super Metroid on his Wii U but doesn’t have a credit card to pay Nintendo for a 26 year old game, I’m not going to lose sleep. Enjoy the game kid

Adam_802

Get a Carby, but those mClassics are garbage. It's literally just blurring and sharpening the image.

I disagree, I have one and its looks WAY better. Eliminates all the jaggies that really show when using only the carby alone. Makes my N64 look amazingly better too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom