• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 is making me hate PC Gaming (techradar article)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-ps5-is-making-me-hate-pc-gaming

I've owned both a PS4 and a gaming PC for many years now, but my computers have always won the title of being my favorite gaming hardware, often leaving my PS4 gathering dust for months on end. Knowing I could only afford one, I had a decision to make: do I buy a PS5 now, or save up for a shiny GeForce RTX 3090 and CPU upgrade?

It seemed like an obvious choice at the time. I'm now kicking myself.

Since these GPUs have hit the market we've seen games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs: Legion, and The Medium released, giving us the opportunity to test this groundbreaking computing hardware for ourselves. And each time, be it down to overly demanding software or lack of optimization for PC, I'm left disappointed.

Before the games were even released, we were seeing some fairly alarming system requirements to play the latest AAA titles. It was reported this week by DSOG that the Medium couldn't run at a consistent 60fps on a PC equipped with an Intel i9-9900K and an RTX 3080, even on standard 1080p quality and ray tracing switched off. And the optimization issues faced by The Medium are hardly unique.

PC gaming feels like a constant uphill battle to evolve and accommodate the very latest in computing technology, combining a love for tech tinkering with a gaming hobby for many. You need to put consistent effort, money, or both into being a PC gamer because a large reason people might choose a computer over a console is the ability to experience games in the highest achievable quality.

And yet, PS5 owners can now experience 4K quality, better game optimization (in some titles), and haptic feedback in the DualSense controller for significantly less than a comparable gaming computer would cost to buy or build. One of the biggest reasons I (and many others) will also be buying a PS5 is because of the Sony Exclusive titles.

When the PS5 showcase announced Horizon: Forbidden West, Demon's Souls and God of War: Ragnorak, I excitedly noted them as titles to look forward to playing when I could eventually buy the console myself. Now that the first few months of the Nvidia Ampere and AMD 'Big Navi' hardware have passed, I'm left feeling disappointed and envious of my console playing peers.

This is in no way saying that I'll be switching out my gaming PC in favor of a PS5, but I'm firmly stepping down from my high horse for the time being. Until games are better optimized for PC or developers manage their hardware expectations, every game I'm looking forward to in 2021 is currently a PS5-exclusive.

GaviotaGrande GaviotaGrande GET ITT™!

god job (y) i almost cared.
Ironically, your always spaming emoji's on my posts, so I'm pretty sure your do care.

Quite flattering that anything I post gets your triggered. Which is why that custom tag of yours is so worth it 🧁🎂

Bl2sxBM.png

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I see nothing here that warrants such a harsh response from pc gaf. I mean the guy literally says hes not switching to the ps5, he's just choosing not to be a miserable son of a bitch gloating about the joys of PC gaming like a jehovah's witness.

I definitely dont agree with everything he's said here, but he's right on most things. Medium, Legion and Cyberpunk have no business performing like that on PC. The optimization on PC was always shit, but this is simply unacceptable. My $700 card from 2 years ago is literally running cyberpunk at sub 10 fps without dlss at everything maxed out. you pretty much have to have dlss on to get a decent 30+ fps even at medium settings. why release RT cards when they buckle under pressure. And cyberpunk isnt the first game to struggle with this. Control came out a year and a half ago, was pretty much the 3rd AAA game to get RT and i had to run it at 960p dlss'd to 1440p to get a stable 60 fps. just shocking. Watch dogs and medium are simply unacceptable because they dont even look as good or are doing anything even remotely impressive as control's destruction.

Not to mention the fact that the next gen cards are selling for inflated prices after finally coming back in stock. I was at microcenter this morning and they were selling 3070s for $750. $50 more than the MSRP of the 3080. The $1,500 3090 was going for over $2,000. the only 3080 ive seen in stock there was $850. Like wtf. $700 is already expensive for a GPU and they are increasing prices even more? imagine if the PS5 got a random $250 price increase. it's nonsense.

I havent even touched my PC since the PS5 came out except to try and fucking run cybperunk at a decent 60 fps framerate without it looking like a blurry mess. Coming from Miles, it was jarring to see an open world game with so called next gen features actually look worse. I decided to shelve it until they patch it and run it on a 3080 in case I get my hands on it.

That said, the PS5 isnt some paradise with no issues. The 60 fps RT mode in Miles looks significantly worse than the 30 fps mode with worse lighting and way fewer crowds. RT reflections are so low res they lose their shine. Demon Souls is only 1440p 60 fps and looks rather soft on my 65 inch tv. Its 30 fps mode is utter shit. way way worse than anything ive played on PC at 30 fps which is saying something. Miles at 30 fps is far more playable.

And lastly, after platinuming demon souls, astro bot and miles, im going through a severe withdrawal. none of the several third party games i bought on the ps5 are doing anything for me. Nvidia ampere and big navi launches have passed, but so has the ps5 launch and there is literally nothing left on the horizon until late in the year when horizon and gow launch. if they dont get delayed.

I think nvidia needs to invest in some games for PC. their stocks are trading at over $500 ffs. double that of microsoft, facebook and on par with netflix. FFS invest in some games that actually take advantage of your hardware and are optimized for them. If Insomniac can get miles to run at native 4k 30 fps with ray tracing on a 10 tflops ps5 then surely their 3080 cards with dedicated rt cores should be able to do so much more. some of the RT on off comparisons they post on youtube are embarrassing because in some cases, rt on actually looks the same if not worse. Flight simulator has shown how amazing PC games can look if they are built on PC specs. i cant believe these fuckers are trying to sell us $1,000 graphics cards without investing in games.
3080 for 850? That's cheap af now. Should buy it and sell for 1000. That's min I've seen these now. I've got mine on release for 700 on nvidia site and I still think it was too much for a gpu.
As you said there is not much new stuff to even show off on that gpu aside from my older fav games that now run 4k60. 2077 I had to cap to 30fps to play Max settings... Such a show off for 2kusd pc...
Tbh, ps5 also don't have much but at least there is astro bot and demon's souls to give me that wow effect and amaze me. With 3080 I just put it inside pc and I am like "ok then... That's a new gpu... Yeeep*.
What helps ps5 is backwards compatibility. To be honest, I still find ps4 exclusive looking better and wowing me more than most stuff on 3080...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Rockstar - too scripted and on rails
Nuaghty Dog - lol, cinematic movie game sjw bullshit
Zelda,Mario - lol kids games
Final Fantasy - lol thinking FF is a good game
Ghost - lol ubi game in japan

See how easy it is ? Alyx not only is it a massive game, meaning youre talking out of your ass, but its the highest rated game of the year. Never to come on consoles. There you go, you have your wish. Flight Simulator and Crusader Kings 3 round up the trio of pc exclusives that were pushing 90% scores in 2020.

I like how you totally decided based on nothing at all that League Of Legends doesnt count. The most played games in the world by a huge margin are LOL, Dungeon Fighter, Crossfire, etc. All pc exclusives. Yes, PC doesnt have any exclusives if you ignore evey pc exclusive.
I finished Alyx 2 times. It's a tiny short game but barely any combat and gameplay really.
It still was the best experience of my gaming life of course probably right after seeing waterfall in unreal in 1997. But after the wow factor, the game there is extremely limited and slow with repeating puzzles, minimum combat and no melee. I would rather reply hl2 now even if I still would rate Alyx 10. Just w thought.

Self

Console gaming is more convenient and it simply works (Aside from the disaster that is Cyberpunk that is thankfully pulled from consoles store and funny enough from a PC focus developer and probably devs inside CDPR with the same “PC king” mentality and “good enough for a console game” which resulted into this broken product) Also that game is a glitch fest even on PC

PC games or PC focused games have always been the worst offenders of quality games.
Bugs, glitches and crashes are good tradition within the PC space, but have slowly sipped into console space as well. All thanks to PC mentality.

hemo memo

Gold Member
PC games or PC focused games have always been the worst offenders of quality games.
Bugs, glitches and crashes are good tradition within the PC space, but have slowly sipped into console space as well. All thanks to PC mentality.
True. I guess they (CDPR) thought console gamers are okay with this buggy mess because just because the quality standards on PC are very low.

The games I play the most either never come to console or, if they do, tend to perform horribly or be really unwieldy to play so I’ll always need a PC.

I know there is less vfm but I don’t mind paying a load more for PC parts as I like building and tweaking them too. The current GPU prices, however, are insane and mean I’ll happily sit on what I’ve got and play everything but strategy games on console for a while.

I never had much money as a kid so I saved up for anything I wanted and now that I do I allow myself to go wild with money to a point so I never considered PC parts expensive as I got so much enjoyment back but I’m not paying £900-£1k for what isn’t even the top end GPU.

Fredrik

Tbh, ps5 also don't have much but at least there is astro bot and demon's souls to give me that wow effect and amaze me. With 3080 I just put it inside pc and I am like "ok then... That's a new gpu... Yeeep*.
That’s surprisingly short-sighed for a PC gamer. I think you’ll be more than happy with that 3080 going forward, devs have only just started tapping into ray-tracing techs, things will evolve rapidly and PC gaming will lead this new era. You’ll also get a big quality boost on PC from the Xbox-PC synergy too within a year or two, MS will try the hardest to impress everyone with their 1st party games on Series X, and things will look and run even better on your 3080. 🙂

Krisprolls

Banned
Source: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-ps5-is-making-me-hate-pc-gaming

I've owned both a PS4 and a gaming PC for many years now, but my computers have always won the title of being my favorite gaming hardware, often leaving my PS4 gathering dust for months on end. Knowing I could only afford one, I had a decision to make: do I buy a PS5 now, or save up for a shiny GeForce RTX 3090 and CPU upgrade?

It seemed like an obvious choice at the time. I'm now kicking myself.

Since these GPUs have hit the market we've seen games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdogs: Legion, and The Medium released, giving us the opportunity to test this groundbreaking computing hardware for ourselves. And each time, be it down to overly demanding software or lack of optimization for PC, I'm left disappointed.

Before the games were even released, we were seeing some fairly alarming system requirements to play the latest AAA titles. It was reported this week by DSOG that the Medium couldn't run at a consistent 60fps on a PC equipped with an Intel i9-9900K and an RTX 3080, even on standard 1080p quality and ray tracing switched off. And the optimization issues faced by The Medium are hardly unique.

PC gaming feels like a constant uphill battle to evolve and accommodate the very latest in computing technology, combining a love for tech tinkering with a gaming hobby for many. You need to put consistent effort, money, or both into being a PC gamer because a large reason people might choose a computer over a console is the ability to experience games in the highest achievable quality.

And yet, PS5 owners can now experience 4K quality, better game optimization (in some titles), and haptic feedback in the DualSense controller for significantly less than a comparable gaming computer would cost to buy or build. One of the biggest reasons I (and many others) will also be buying a PS5 is because of the Sony Exclusive titles.

When the PS5 showcase announced Horizon: Forbidden West, Demon's Souls and God of War: Ragnorak, I excitedly noted them as titles to look forward to playing when I could eventually buy the console myself. Now that the first few months of the Nvidia Ampere and AMD 'Big Navi' hardware have passed, I'm left feeling disappointed and envious of my console playing peers.

This is in no way saying that I'll be switching out my gaming PC in favor of a PS5, but I'm firmly stepping down from my high horse for the time being. Until games are better optimized for PC or developers manage their hardware expectations, every game I'm looking forward to in 2021 is currently a PS5-exclusive.

I feel exactly the same. I stopped upgrading my pc after the 1070. It felt like a bottomless pit where you have to throw money constantly because nothing is ever optimized properly for your machine. And that's when it even works and you don't spend hours tinkering with the parameters.

Nobody cares about optimizing for PC so your new shiny PC gets obsolete after 2 years. And you can't even run Sony exclusives, which mean you can't run most of the highest budget and best games (most games of the year are console exclusives these days).

It's just a waste of money.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Nobody cares about optimizing for PC so your new shiny PC gets obsolete after 2 years. And you can't even run Sony exclusives, which mean you can't run most of the highest budget and best games
I still have my 1080ti which is closing in on 4 years now, Horizon Zero Dawn runs at average 80+ fps and max 150fps on Ultimate quality.
The newly released Cyberpunk 2077 is played above 60fps at Ultra.
I could upgrade, but I don’t have to.

edbrat

My personal experience having never had a decent gaming PC, just workhorses which could play older titles if I was lucky:

- last year, around June / July, think I should replace my old ass PC which I just browse and watch YT on and play old graphically undemanding stuff on, wouldn't it be nice to have something which can play the incoming MS Flight Sim
- have highly technically competent friends who know about this stuff
- get told to wait till Nvidia upgrade their shit, this is apparently important and it's only a few months away
- fine, wait, I'll be using it for years anyway right?
- Nvidia announcement, wow this all looks cool lets get going!
- fuck you no stock
- read forums about early adopter issues with nvida 30xx's which I don't understand and wouldn't have a clue about if they happened to me
- fuck you no stock unless you want to be skinned alive by a scalper

It's been months now and I'm still using my old ass pc and I've given up on my fantasy of playing MS flight sim, might buy an Xbox to play it or stream it from "teh cloud". Cannot be fucked with all the bullshit around hw upgrade cycles, no to low stock, the complexity of troubleshooting and optimisation life is way too short for all this if you don't have a fetish for it in the first place.

Fredrik

Yep. 1080 Ti since 2017 and it is still up there. And 11GB of nice VRAM.

VYiQuxu.gif
Haha that gif 🤣
But yeah it’s surprisingly competent. I thought I would have to upgrade to play Cyberpunk but it’s doing fine, and with gsync I don’t even notice any stutter. 👍

Hudo

There's no point in hating platforms because there's no point in thinking "I am playing on X, therefore I can't play on Y." You don't need to have a "monogamous relationship" with a company; you are free to play on whatever you like. If you fancy playing platformers on Switch, cool. If you fancy playing action games on PS5, cool. If you fancy playing your global strategy games on PC, cool. I mean, you wouldn't refrain from playing other FPS games because you're playing Call of Duty, right? So I'm not sure why the author needs to "switch out" anything.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There's no point in hating platforms because there's no point in thinking "I am playing on X, therefore I can't play on Y." You don't need to have a "monogamous relationship" with a company; you are free to play on whatever you like. If you fancy playing platformers on Switch, cool. If you fancy playing action games on PS5, cool. If you fancy playing your global strategy games on PC, cool. I mean, you wouldn't refrain from playing other FPS games because you're playing Call of Duty, right? So I'm not sure why the author needs to "switch out" anything.
Fanboy mentality.

I feel exactly the same. I stopped upgrading my pc after the 1070. It felt like a bottomless pit where you have to throw money constantly because nothing is ever optimized properly for your machine. And that's when it even works and you don't spend hours tinkering with the parameters.

Nobody cares about optimizing for PC so your new shiny PC gets obsolete after 2 years. And you can't even run Sony exclusives, which mean you can't run most of the highest budget and best games (most games of the year are console exclusives these days).

My oldest kid played and finished cyberpunk on a GTX 1060. Mainly medium settings and a locked 30fps. Since the processor isn't total trash he could play high NPC level and it looks and played better then Xbox one x or PS4 pro.

YCoCg

you should see ps5 prices in EU. 800euros assuming you can find one. So everything is over priced now.
I've seen the PS5 restocked a few times now and people getting them at the rrp of £449, meanwhile I'm still here waiting for any of these stock alert e-mails to pop up so I can attempt to buy a new GPU.

Guilty_AI

you should see ps5 prices in EU. 800euros assuming you can find one. So everything is over priced now.
yup, $770 (4199 brl) for the no disc version and $860 (4699 brl) for the standard here in Brasil, and thats just the official price, which is out of stock pretty much everywhere.
To buy it right now you'll be spending almost $1300 from what i assume are scalpers.

Last edited:
Pc with a rtx3080 on a 4k tv with a controller is the way. If you play on a 1080p monitor you can buy a 2017 pc and be alright for the next year or more.

The highest budget games are 3rd party. Even from sony, outside of naughty dog and santa monica none of the other games have outlandish budgets. Youre gonna budget the games based on predicted revenue. Youre not gonna get out of a single platform the money you get from 4 different platforms. Thats why the biggest budgets are from 3rd party games, because the potential for revenue is 4 times bigger. Looking at Horizon for example, that game was made on the ultra cheap. Around 40 million dollars if i recall. Then you look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider which came out a year later and had a budget of 135 million dollars.

So you have an extra frame of reference how cheap Horizon was, Control was made as a low budget game for 30 million dollars. Not that far off from Horizon, and this budget is almost indie

Last edited:

Redlight

He bought a 3090 so we already know that he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer. ”I’m stepping down from my high horse” just sounds like he intends to stop being an insufferable PC master race idiot. Probably just become a Sony fanboy idiot instead.
"every game I'm looking forward to in 2021 is currently a PS5-exclusive."

Yeah, maybe.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It must be all those nextgen PS5 exclusives available right now that makes him hate PC gaming right now. If I had a PS5 right now the only game I'd have for it is Demon's Souls. Not going to buy a 1st edition console simply for one game. YMMV.

Ok, I guess?

I mean, it's not that a ps5 is such an expense, if you already buy a 3090.

I'm mostly interested in pc-only games and VR, so yeah: it really depends on what you want.

What's the point of these articles (rather than hits, of course)?

ClosBSAS

All that love for ps5.. then, those exclusives will hit PC at better frames, more resolution, rtx, better graphics, af16x, etc....then ps5 wont look ao good. I mean, ff16, demons souls most likely, shit...pc going in hard. Enjoy ur exclusives for now.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hooked my PS5 a couple of days ago and while it's an amazing device for the price (minus the looks, Jesus Christ), I will never ever buy a multi plat game for it because I know I will have a better gaming experience on PC.

I'll post more in PS5 |OT|

Give me that GT7, now.
You will have better multiplats on pc for sure. If it's a good port and if your hardware will be up to date. I also plan this but I hope 3080 will last for this gen. Oh and I will sooner pirate or buy on ps5 than epic store...

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
ironically that's what you were doing to me in the first place so now you can only blame yourself.

Maybe kiss and make up? 🤔

I still have my 1080ti which is closing in on 4 years now, Horizon Zero Dawn runs at average 80+ fps and max 150fps on Ultimate quality.

1070Ti here and albeit I'd love to get my hands on a 3000 series Card. I'm kind of wanting the 3070/3080Ti cards to get announced for the extra RAM (and be available). But game-wise everything I own runs great in 1080P

Last edited:
The PS5 continues to elicit strong feelings among communities with other preferred platforms. Can't stop talking about it. It has the "it" factor... At this point, Sony building new foundries for themselves would even make financial sense... Pump them babies out..... PS5 for you, and you, and you... and you.

To me you should always look at these things through the lens of Gaming. The conversation is about PC Gaming and Console Gaming, emphasis on gaming. Which is why all the talk about hardware specs is so silly... not to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority of PC gamers don't have, nor own a rig more capable than what the PS5 can do in gaming - so it's what it's. This idea that your average PC gamer is rolling with a 3070, 6800 (and all the accompanying parts)........:messenger_grinning_squinting:. Ask them for them receipts and remember to set the alarm clock on that one :messenger_kissing_smiling:. Just look at the Cyberpunk PC poll on Gaf or the Steam Hardware survey and you'll get an idea. The folks who paint themselves as the voices of the PC community, lauding 3k rigs, are a very tiny minority trying to overcompensate what can't be argued in games, with hardware talk. We know how it's - it's an easy goose chase against the uninitiated as they try to validate their platform of choice.

I do think that it's pretty telling about the state of the platforms, and the communities that support those respectively; that you have a dedicated subgroup of consistent loud port beggers in one community, while not on the other(s). I think it tells a lot about what types of games are creating peer-pressure and FOMO, what type of games are driving trends, and what type of games are consuming gamers mindshare and the news cycles. Thus the psychological behavior of port begging is merely a reaction to a "want", not wanting to be left out, ultimately, a sign of dissatisfaction of NOT having what you want, at the time that you want it, on your preferred platform. You don't subscribe to a platform on the virtues of your self-imposed patience - gamers are not buddha monks.

Thus we come full circle once again to the old proverbial saying: "Exclusives Matter". Not only do they matter but we also know that not all exclusives are created equal, there is a gap (quality, scope, popularity etc - in other words, mind the gap). And we all know it. Just like we know, exclusives are not just a cliche... exclusives are games. They're games that you can't experience outside specific platforms - and once again, gaming is about the games. When you look at the consensus GOTY's, and GOTY nominees for the last decade or so what you'll find is that those lists are packed with exclusive games, whether that be Nintendo exclusives, or PS exclusives. Since third-party multiplats can be enjoyed everywhere - no one wins browny pts on them. So it's the games that can't be enjoyed elsewhere the ones that truly set the platforms apart, and create the strong emotions between communities. Fact of the matter is, the PC platform hasn't had exclusive software that captures gamers mindshare and the news cycle in the same manner console exclusives have done recently and consistently. The golden age of strategy games and MMORPGs is over - something that set the PC platform apart once and had that "it" over consoles.

Here is what's driving the mindshare these days and the news cycle, outside your odd, out of nowhere hit and your multiplats.... God of War: Ragnarok, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US II, Metroid, Horizon Forbidden West etc... just like God of War before, BOTW, Uncharted 4 etc, etc. AAA blockbuster exclusives. And don't let yourself be fooled by folks who tell you they don't care about those types of games (walking simulators, kiddie games and all that babble). The proof is in the pudding. We all know how hyped PC gamers were/are for Cyberpunk on PC (pre-launch and post-launch) - not only did the talk reflect that but so did the sales. And that game is not even an exclusive. But we know what it's, a AAA blockbuster narrative-driven RPG with pretty graphics. PC folks clearly want what they don't have in quantity.... quality narrative driven experiences, of big scope, with pretty graphics to show off their rigs and validate those 1k, 2k, 3k investments. Lets cut the BS. You wouldn't see so much damage controlling around this flop if there wasn't strong emotional investments into the type of games CDPR makes.

So why is the PS community and the PC community often clashing on these sort of topics? The obvious - there is more demographic overlap between PS communities and hardcore PC communities relative to Nintendo. And Nintendo games can be easily emulated by PC (pirating yes, the not so secret secret). You couple that with the fact that the overwhelming majority of gamers game on a single platform (due to the enormous time investment that is gaming, as is financially) and you've an explosive mix of competition around who's getting treated like a first-class citizen and who is not. Since both Sony and Nintendo have been on a tear for a whole gen more or less when it comes to quality exclusive content, LOTs of gamers from other platforms are being left out of great gaming experiences on a consistent basis (and it clearly has a reaction). It shouldn't be hard to admit.

Am I surprised that thought-leaders in the PC community put out videos to cash-in on the need for reassurance of platform choice by PC folk? By putting out flawed hardware comparisons between PS5 and PC? Absolutely not. They understand their audience really well, they know what lures the sheep, and what keeps the sheep in the pen. Am I surprised to see those threads garner 20 pages of discussion on Gaf? Absolutely not. Am I surprised to see the OP/writer get attacked furiously by some? Absolutely not. We all know how it's, despite the fronting, and the appearances game.

It's not a level playing field, and it hasn't been for a long time when it comes to quality games. It's what it's.

Last edited:

Fredrik

1070Ti here and albeit I'd love to get my hands on a 3000 series Card. I'm kind of wanting the 3070/3080Ti cards to get announced for the extra RAM (and be available). But game-wise everything I own runs great in 1080P
A 3080ti would indeed be nice! But I’m in no hurry. And yeah still 1080p here too, looks more than okay if you ask me, I’ve never understood the obsession of high resolution, I much rather crank up everything else to max.

Cyberpunk 2077 | 1080p, Ultra, GTX 1080 Ti
CXMjlJO.jpg

aQ4YR03.jpg

Kadayi

Banned
A 3080ti would indeed be nice! But I’m in no hurry. And yeah still 1080p here too, looks more than okay if you ask me, I’ve never understood the obsession of high resolution, I much rather crank up everything else to max.

Indeed. I'll take more effects with lower resolution versus the other way around any day of the week. Still hoping that as things ease with lockdowns and all, there's a chance to nab a 3000 series card at some point later in the year for when the DLC arrives.

Guilty_AI

The PS5 continues to elicit strong feelings among communities with other preferred platforms. Can't stop talking about it. It has the "it" factor... At this point, Sony building new foundries for themselves would even make financial sense... Pump them babies out..... PS5 for you, and you, and you... and you.

To me you should always look at these things through the lens of Gaming. The conversation is about PC Gaming and Console Gaming, emphasis on gaming. Which is why all the talk about hardware specs is so silly... not to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority of PC gamers don't have, nor own a rig more capable than what the PS5 can do in gaming - so it's what it's. This idea that your average PC gamer is rolling with a 3070, 6800 (and all the accompanying parts)........:messenger_grinning_squinting:. Ask them for them receipts and remember to set the alarm clock on that one :messenger_kissing_smiling:. Just look at the Cyberpunk PC poll on Gaf or the Steam Hardware survey and you'll get an idea. The folks who paint themselves as the voices of the PC community, lauding 3k rigs, are a very tiny minority trying to overcompensate what can't be argued in games, with hardware talk. We know how it's - it's an easy goose chase against the uninitiated as they try to validate their platform of choice.

I do think that it's pretty telling about the state of the platforms, and the communities that support those respectively; that you have a dedicated subgroup of consistent loud port beggers in one community, while not on the other(s). I think it tells a lot about what types of games are creating peer-pressure and FOMO, what type of games are driving trends, and what type of games are consuming gamers mindshare and the news cycles. Thus the psychological behavior of port begging is merely a reaction to a "want", not wanting to be left out, ultimately, a sign of dissatisfaction of NOT having what you want, at the time that you want it, on your preferred platform. You don't subscribe to a platform on the virtues of your self-imposed patience - gamers are not buddha monks.

Thus we come full circle once again to the old proverbial saying: "Exclusives Matter". Not only do they matter but we also know that not all exclusives are created equal, there is gap (quality, scope, popularity etc - in other words, mind the gap). And we all know it. Just like we know, exclusives are not just a cliche... exclusives are games. Games that you can't experience outside particular platforms - and once again, gaming is about the games. When you look at the concensus GOTY's, and GOTY nominees for the last decade or so what you'll find is that those lists are packed with exclusive games, whether that be Nintendo exclusives, or PS exclusives. Since third-party multiplats can be enjoyed everywhere - no one wins browny pts on them. So it's the games that can't be enjoyed elsewhere the ones that truly set the platforms apart, and create the strong emotions between communities. Fact of the matter is, the PC platform hasn't had exclusive software that captures gamers mindshare and the news cycle in the same manner console exclusives have done recently and consistently. The golden age of strategy games and MMORPGs is over - something set the PC platform apart once and had that "it" over consoles.

Here's is what's driving the mindshare these days and the news cycle, outside your odd, out of nowhere hit and your multiplats.... God of War: Ragnarok, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US II, Metroid, Horizon Forbidden West etc... just like God of War before, BOTW, Uncharted 4 etc. AAA blockbuster exclusives. And don't let yourself be fooled by folks who tell you they don't care about those types of games. The proof is in the pudding. We all know how hyped PC gamers were/are for Cyberpunk on PC (pre-launch and post-launch). And that game is not even an exclusive. But we know what it's, a AAA blockbuster narrative-driven RPG, with pretty graphics. PC folks cleary want what they don't have in quantiy.... quality narrative driven experiences, of big scope, with pretty graphics to show off their rigs and validate those 1k, 2k, 3k investments. Lets cut the BS. You wouldn't see so much damage controlling around this flop if there wasn't strong emotional investments into the type of games CDPR makes.

So why is the PS platform communtiy and the PC community often clashing on these sort of topics? The obvious - there is more demographic overlap between PS communities and hardcore PC communities relative to Nintendo. And Nintendo games can be easily emulated by PC (pirating yes, the not so secret secret). Both Sony and Nintendo have been on a tear for a whole gen more or less when it comes to quality exclusive content, and lots of gamers from other platforms are being left out.

Am I surprised that thought-leaders in the PC community put out videos to cash in on the need for reassurance of platform choice when they put out flawed hardware comparisons between PS5 and PC? Absolutely not. They understand their audience really well, they know what lures the sheep, and what keeps the sheep in the pen. Am I surprised to see those threads garner 20 pages of discussion on Gaf? Absolutely not. Am I surprised to see the OP/writer get attacked furiously by some? Absolutely not. We all know how it's, despite the fronting, and the appearances game. It's not a level playing field, and it hasn't been for a long time when it comes to quality games. It's what it's.
KrS6uTj4fYF2syiB0wT89RLQzoH8GGlI8uoO1fRX0caRggRA1qQTbNnN23ZUsisUsrVhduADALVUrslF5JSmMUrH0zpHufyNex1Xp1mDXMD9IUypvhl-_5ApG9P6JfpoY_z3UNfv1S3oytqrMYsh8jOnpQ3TeS24

To me you should always look at these things through the lens of Gaming. The conversation is about PC Gaming and Console Gaming, emphasis on gaming. Which is why all the talk about hardware specs is so silly... not to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority of PC gamers don't have, nor own a rig more capable than what the PS5 can do - so it's what it's. This idea that your average PC gamer is rolling with a 3070, 6800........:messenger_grinning_squinting:. Ask them for them receipts and remember to set the alarm clock on that one :messenger_kissing_smiling:. Just look at the Cyberpunk PC poll on Gaf or the Steam Hardware survey and you'll get an idea. The folks who paint themselves as the voices of the PC community, lauding 3k rigs, are a very tiny minority trying to overcompensate what can't be argued in games, with hardware talk. We know how it's - it's an easy goose chase against the uninitiated as they try to validate their platform of choice.

I do think that it's pretty telling about the state of the platforms, and the communities that support those respectively, that you have a dedicated subgroup of consistent loud port beggers in one community, while not on the other. I think it tells a lot about what types of games are creating FOMO (that peer-pressure), what type of games are driving trends, and what type of games are consuming gamers mindshare and the news cycles. Thus the psychological behavior of port begging is merely a reaction to a "want", not wanting to be left out, ultimately, a sign of dissatisfaction of NOT having what you want, at the time that you want it, on your preferred platform. You don't subscribe to a platform on the virtues of your self-imposed patience - gamers are not buddha monks.

Thus we come full circle once again to the old proverbial saying: "Exclusives Matter". Not only do they matter but we also know that not all exclusives are created equal, there is gap (quality, scope, popularity etc - in other words, mind the gap). And we all know it. Just like we know, exclusives are not just a cliche... exclusives are games. Games that you can't experience outside particular platforms - and once again, gaming is about the games. When you look at the concensus GOTY's, and GOTY nominees for the last decade or so what you'll find is that those lists are packed with exclusive games, whether that be Nintendo exclusives, or PS exclusives. Since third party multiplats can be enjoyed everywhere - no one wins browny pts on them. So it's those games that can't be enjoyed elsewhere the ones that truly set the platforms apart, and create the strong emotions between communities. Fact of the matter is, the PC platform hasn't had exclusive software that captures gamers mindshare and the news cycle in the same manner console exclusives have done recently so consistenly. The golden age of strategy games and MMORPGs is over - something that truly set the PC platform apart once and had that "it" over consoles.

Here's is what's driving the mindshare, and the news cycle, outside your odd, out of nowhere hit and your multiplats.... God of War: Ragnarok, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US II, Metroid, Horizon Forbidden West etc... just like God of War before, BOTW, Uncharted 4 etc. AAA blockbuster exclusives. And don't let yourself be fooled by folks who tell you they don't care about those types of games. The proof is in the pudding. We all know how hyped PC gamers were/are for Cyberpunk on PC (pre-launch and post-launch). And that game is not even an exclusive. But we know what it's, a AAA blockbuster narrative-driven RPG, with pretty graphics. PC folks cleary want what they don't have in quantiy.... quality narrative driven experiences, of big scope, with pretty graphics to show off their rigs and validate those 1k, 2k, 3k investments. Lets cut the BS. You wouldn't see so much damage controlling around this flop if there wasn't strong emotional investments into the type of games CDPR makes.

So why is the PS platform communtiy and the PC community often clashing on this point. The obvious - there is more demographic overlap between PS communities and hardcore PC communities relative to Nintendo. And Nintendo games can be easily emulated by PC (pirating yes, the not so secret secret). Both Sony and Nintendo have been on a tear for a whole gen more or less when it comes to quality exclusive content, and lots of gamers from other platforms are being left out. So am I surprised to see thought-leaders in the PC community putting out videos to cash in on that sentiment when they try to put out flawed hardware comparison between PS5 and PC? Absolutely not. They understand their audience really well, they know what lures the sheep, and what keeps the sheep in the pen. Am I surprised to see those threads garner 20 pages of discussion on Gaf, absolutely not. Am I surprised to see the OP/writer get attacked furiously by some. Absolutely not. We all know how it's, despite the fronting, and the appearances game. It's not a level playing field, and it hasn't been for a long time when it comes to quality games.
TL:DR = You are simply triggered beyond belief that there are millions and millions of people with better PC's than ps5, from at least 2 plus years before Sony even released it, and now the numbers are growing more and more, especially since AMD also released their new GPU's as well as Nvidia's. But the ps5 is great on price to performance, you just can't expect to get PC performance with it's much less performant hardware.

Simply put, you are upset that so many prefer to play on better hardware than your beloved console. Which shouldn't affect you this much as a supposed "gamer". Us playing on PC doesn't hurt the sales of ps5, as several of us weren't going to buy it anyways. The same way you have no intention on playing some games above 30fps with raytracing, or prefer checkerboard resolution to native resolution, or like having every choice made for you, instead of making your own decisions.

There's pro's and cons of owning each hardware, but your post wreaks of console warrior only.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
haha get out of here with out of context statements like this.
what are you playing? 720p or medium settings?
I have 3080 here. Zero Dawn 4k maxed runs 60 but uses like 99% of gpu
Cyberpunk maxed with rt with dlss on balanced runs 30-40.
But You come in here sayin "oh I have this magical 1080ti which runs cyberpunk 2077 60fps ON ULTRA and horizon 1000fps.

BULLSHIT, not max settings like you say, 1080p

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Thus we come full circle once again to the old proverbial saying: "Exclusives Matter". Not only do they matter but we also know that not all exclusives are created equal, there is gap (quality, scope, popularity etc - in other words, mind the gap). And we all know it. Just like we know, exclusives are not just a cliche... exclusives are games. Games that you can't experience outside particular platforms - and once again, gaming is about the games. When you look at the concensus GOTY's, and GOTY nominees for the last decade or so what you'll find is that those lists are packed with exclusive games, whether that be Nintendo exclusives, or PS exclusives. Since third-party multiplats can be enjoyed everywhere - no one wins browny pts on them. So it's the games that can't be enjoyed elsewhere the ones that truly set the platforms apart, and create the strong emotions between communities. Fact of the matter is, the PC platform hasn't had exclusive software that captures gamers mindshare and the news cycle in the same manner console exclusives have done recently and consistently. The golden age of strategy games and MMORPGs is over - something that set the PC platform apart once and had that "it" over consoles.

Here's is what's driving the mindshare these days and the news cycle, outside your odd, out of nowhere hit and your multiplats.... God of War: Ragnarok, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US II, Metroid, Horizon Forbidden West etc... just like God of War before, BOTW, Uncharted 4 etc, etc. AAA blockbuster exclusives. And don't let yourself be fooled by folks who tell you they don't care about those types of games (walking simulators, kiddie games and all that babble). The proof is in the pudding. We all know how hyped PC gamers were/are for Cyberpunk on PC (pre-launch and post-launch). And that game is not even an exclusive. But we know what it's, a AAA blockbuster narrative-driven RPG, with pretty graphics. PC folks cleary want what they don't have in quantiy.... quality narrative driven experiences, of big scope, with pretty graphics to show off their rigs and validate those 1k, 2k, 3k investments. Lets cut the BS. You wouldn't see so much damage controlling around this flop if there wasn't strong emotional investments into the type of games CDPR makes.

So why is the PS communtiy and the PC community often clashing on these sort of topics? The obvious - there is more demographic overlap between PS communities and hardcore PC communities relative to Nintendo. And Nintendo games can be easily emulated by PC (pirating yes, the not so secret secret). Both Sony and Nintendo have been on a tear for a whole gen more or less when it comes to quality exclusive content, and lots of gamers from other platforms are being left out. It shouldn't be hard to admit.

Am I surprised that thought-leaders in the PC community put out videos to cash in on the need for reassurance of platform choice by PC folk? By putting out flawed hardware comparisons between PS5 and PC? Absolutely not. They understand their audience really well, they know what lures the sheep, and what keeps the sheep in the pen. Am I surprised to see those threads garner 20 pages of discussion on Gaf? Absolutely not. Am I surprised to see the OP/writer get attacked furiously by some? Absolutely not. We all know how it's, despite the fronting, and the appearances game. It's not a level playing field, and it hasn't been for a long time when it comes to quality games. It's what it's.

That's a lot to read and frankly, a bit all over the place. But one point you made I'll address:

" not to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority of PC gamers don't have, nor own a rig more capable than what the PS5 can do in gaming"

The vast majority of console gamers don't have PS5s. Heck, the vast majority of PS gamers are still playing on base PS4s. But if you look at the surveys, the average PC gamer have rigs that are more capable than the average console. And the high end gaming PC is more capable than ANY console. By the time PS5 becomes the console of the majority of consoles gamers, PC gamers will have upgraded to the next level of hardware as well. This is always the way of things.

How many times will you type the same response to my posts? I've lost count. We all know you read every single sentence. That you can't handle it, well that has always been your problem.
there are millions and millions of people with better PC's than ps5
Lmao... don't project your own triggering. You're too easy to handle.... feeding on the commoners. Light weight.

Where are the receipts on the bold? I'm going to set my alarm clock on that one, set to expire before my death.
That's a lot to read and frankly, a bit all over the place. But one point you made I'll address:

" not to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority of PC gamers don't have, nor own a rig more capable than what the PS5 can do in gaming"

The vast majority of console gamers don't have PS5s. Heck, the vast majority of PS gamers are still playing on base PS4s. But if you look at the surveys, the average PC gamer have rigs that are more capable than the average console. And the high end gaming PC is more capable than ANY console. By the time PS5 becomes the console of the majority of consoles gamers, PC gamers will have upgraded to the next level of hardware as well. This is always the way of things.
You're not saying much. How many PS5 owners are out there, 3.4m within the first month, prob about 5 mill now least? How many own better than PS5 on PC? All I need is the receipts.

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/ga...4million-units-within-its-first-month-2847020

R1fdEt3.gif

Last edited:
How many times will you type the same response to my posts? I've lost count. We all know you read every single sentence. That you can't handle it, well that has been always your problem.

Lmao... don't project your own triggering. You're too easy to handle.... feeding on the commoners. Light weight.

Where are the receipts on the bold? I'm going to set my clock on that one, set to expire before my death.

You're not saying much. How many PS5 owners are out there, 3.4 within the first month, prob about 5 mill now least? How many own better than PS5 on PC? All I need is the receipts.

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/ga...4million-units-within-its-first-month-2847020
Projection is a bad look. There are millions of rtx 20xx, 30xx, etc sold. Those millions of GPU's provide better performance than ps5. Even a lower end gpu like the 3060 ti beats ps5.

Those are your reciepts, and plenty more where they came from, whatever the hell that means. Lightweight. I'll set my clock to 5:03pm, and this reality is still true.

What is this, an anime now 😂

That's a lot of gifs and little substance. Where are the receipts?

Or are you going to double down with 5 gifs instead of 3?

Are you hoping someone somehow finds the receipts - because you can't? Stalling.. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

We are into something now are we? That such particular sentence is the sole focus of the push back, without receipts, says a lot too.

Like I said, light weight.

Last edited:

Try playing in 1080p on a 65'' 4k screen from a 1.5 meter away and you will understand why high resolution matters. It all depends on your set-up: screen size, viewing distance.

That's a lot of gifs and little substance. Where are the receipts?

Or are you going to double down with 5 gifs instead of 3? Are you hoping someone somehow finds them - because you can't? We are into something now are we?

Like I said, light weight.
There are more people in the world, right now as we speak, with a more powerful PC, than there are ps5's. Even less powerful gpu's run at better framerates in comparisons to ps5. Why aren't you complaining about those? Id imagine you can deny this all you want, but there are thousands of videos, threads, framerate analysis, articles, etc which prove your opinion, downright wrong.

But either way, why does this trigger you? Why does it make you console warriors upset that there are people with better hardware? You too, could simply buy or build a PC as well, but instead you would rather display your insecurities to the world, in the form of long insufferable walls of text, which lack everything but facts and substance.

Take this moment to do some research, instead of going by what your gut feeling is telling you, as it's completely wrong on the subject. Watch some digital foundry, gamers nexus, etc, and float back down to reality, featherweight.

This trend will only continue to grow, as the already superior performing hardware on PC, will only get upgrades as the years to by, while the ps5 will still have the same cpu, gpu, internal ssd storage speeds, etc.

Picture 2 cars in a long race. The losing car tops out at the starting line at only 100mph, while the winning car is currently going 200mph, and it's only going faster and faster.

You can either double down, move the goal posts, or accept defeat at this point.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
haha get out of here with out of context statements like this.
what are you playing? 720p or medium settings?
I have 3080 here. Zero Dawn 4k maxed runs 60 but uses like 99% of gpu
Cyberpunk maxed with rt with dlss on balanced runs 30-40.
But You come in here sayin "oh I have this magical 1080ti which runs cyberpunk 2077 60fps ON ULTRA and horizon 1000fps.

BULLSHIT, not max settings like you say, 1080p

He already talked about running the games in 1080P. Not everyone is obsessed with 4K.

Last edited:
Top Bottom