• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 is making me hate PC Gaming (techradar article)

Mister Wolf

My PS5 can't play hades, iracing or automobilista 2 so it remains unplugged until I get round to trying out Control on it.

Yes the PS5 plays some games at 4k but the settings are reduced from what they are on PC. This article is ridiculous.

unknown.png

Control for PS5 isn't even getting RT Lighting in its next gen upgrade so I know for damn sure the PS5 upgrade for Cyberpunk when it finally releases isn't getting it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Games like Divinity OS2 is a great choice, but in the end they released their game on every platform available even Nintendo Switch, which means PC exclusives are not a thing for any big game, as soon as a game gets big, they release it on consoles.
Can you tell me when Bloodborne will be on PC, The Last of Us? Uncharted? Zelda? Never! So why dont the PC gaming own at least 1 big budget title and stick with it and never release it on console.

wheres the league of legends console port? Guess that game wasn’t big enough to get a console port and is niche. Steam has more monthly active users than PSN does now. You sound like you’re posting from the year 2009.

if you want cinematic 3rd person games where you walk next to a NPC played by nolan north while he unloads exposition on you then just play console games forever.

also i guess you missed this but snoy just a few months ago dropped their biggest new IP from last gen on Steam. The best place to play breath of the wild is on PC too.

GHG

Gold Member
Control for PS5 isn't even getting RT Lighting in its next gen upgrade so I know for damn sure the PS5 upgrade for Cyberpunk when it finally releases isn't getting it.

Pretty sure it is, at least that's what the devs are saying.

It won't cost me anything to try it out so I will. I'm especially interested to see how they've implemented the controller features.

RGB'D

I just rounded out my setup with a PS5 digital yesterday. Already had a Series X for couch gaming, and a switch so the upgrade to PS5 made sense. PS5 is pretty and fun, and the controller has me worried for longevity but is pretty rad especially in astrobot. Miles looks pretty and is hella fun, but Control/Cyberpunk still are much prettier games on PC. But in no freaking way does it even touch my PC rig, or the enjoyment I have on PC. What a weird take from this article... I love console gaming, but PC is a way superior experience.

Mister Wolf

Pretty sure it is, at least that's what the devs are saying.

It won't cost me anything to try it out so I will. I'm especially interested to see how they've implemented the controller features.

No the article you posted only lists reflections and transparency reflections. That's exactly where I got my information from.

Last edited:

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Said it before and will say it again. If you can avoid it, don’t build or upgrade a PC near a console launch. The console will be the better deal (by far) then the following year (or so) you do your pc so you can have an upgraded experience over the console without cashing in your 401k.
Very true. My PS5 is great but in a year or so I will be playing multiplats that make console counterparts inferior. I need a whole new PC though, so I will be paying more than a PS5. In the meantime, I'm a PS5/GTX1080 gamer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
unknown.png

it should not matter if it's 100% identical settings wise to the pc. The box is 500. Compromises are fine. Especially that they are so miniscule usually.
Cyberpunk though? I don't have much hope for real ps5 version to be too good

I'll buy a PS5 to play the exclusives I can't on my pc, everything else I'll play on my pc.

I know its not a feasible option for everyone but if possible try not to restrict yourself to one ecosystem, every platform has something to offer.
For me it's time. Only have so much time to game. Back log is big enough as it is.
Games like Divinity OS2 is a great choice, but in the end they released their game on every platform available even Nintendo Switch, which means PC exclusives are not a thing for any big game, as soon as a game gets big, they release it on consoles.
Can you tell me when Bloodborne will be on PC, The Last of Us? Uncharted? Zelda? Never! So why dont the PC gaming own at least 1 big budget title and stick with it and never release it on console.
Breath of the wild plays like a dream on my PC. 1440p sharp as shit, locked 60fps, reshade to pretty it up a bit more, double lod. Shit I can even play it on my phone with a PS4 controller locked 60fps in bed streaming from my PC.

GHG

Gold Member
No the article you posted only lists reflections and transparency reflections. That's exactly where I got my information from.

What else does the PC version have RT for?

If there are more options then what you mean to say is that it won't have the full suite of ray tracing effects, not nothing at all.

RGB'D

What exclusives? Which games?
Rust, half life alyx, dota2, star citizen, age of empires, etc.,... there is a shit ton of PC exclusive games. Also I can play with whatever peripheral I want. I get that people love the PS5, heck I love mine, but PC is better. Yes it can take some tinkering (not that often) but the performance and peripheral flexibility, access to multiple marketplaces, VR (PsVR is garbage compared to any PC equivalent)... it’s not even close.

Blond

Banned
You MUST worry about the settings, you HAVE to feel bad about getting better value for money! lol
I should also mention my last real pc had a 1070 Founders Edition, but knowing it cost me 450 dollars and I didn’t even get a top end card really made me side eye PC gaming

Arkam

Very true. My PS5 is great but in a year or so I will be playing multiplats that make console counterparts inferior. I need a whole new PC though, so I will be paying more than a PS5. In the meantime, I'm a PS5/GTX1080 gamer.
Right there with you. I’m rocking a 1060 myself. Still fine at 1080p but getting long in the tooth. But I have a PS5 so if I want prettier I boot that up..... til this summer/fall (assuming hw is available) when I upgrade.

Kuranghi

unknown.png

Just as aside I think they really could've made the lighting 10x better on the non-RT mode, but they were probably targetting the RT mode. I mean why does there have to be no baked-in graphics for this scene, he doesn't even really move. Its not like standard raster graphics couldn't do better than crap.

I'm guessing its because you get into the car from the open world and its not a real interior so it would take a lot more work to implement it in a way where you could make it look better, regardless, its ru-bash!

mcjmetroid

Yeah, current PC ports are pretty terrible in terms of optimization. But there will be better times. Overall PC is still the best place to play imo.
Ya but cyberpunk ran and continues to run better on PC than any console.

The Medium runs bad on everything. It's just a badly optimised game at the moment.

Somehow the PC is getting the blame for badly optimised games in general.

Weird article. No wait.. shit article that's more like it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I should also mention my last real pc had a 1070 Founders Edition, but knowing it cost me 450 dollars and I didn’t even get a top end card really made me side eye PC gaming

It basically was a top end card... from the previous year. The GTX 1070 ($379 MSRP, June 2016 launch) beat out the GTX 980 Ti ($649 MSRP, June 2015 launch) in a lot of ways.

Mister Wolf

Just as aside I think they really could've made the lighting 10x better on the non-RT mode, but they were probably targetting the RT mode. I mean why does there have to be no baked-in graphics for this scene, he doesn't even really move. Its not like standard raster graphics couldn't do better than crap.

I'm guessing its because you get into the car from the open world and its not a real interior so it would take a lot more work to implement it in a way where you could make it look better, regardless, its ru-bash!
What you're seeing is a limitation. There is no way to make the lighting better in that situation using the light probe method. It is an dynamic object(NPC) riding in a dynamic object(limo) all in real time. There is no way to bake the lighting. The only way to get better at this point is using some form of tracing. Here is R2R2 in the same exact scenario:

Mister Wolf

Its cool to think that in the future we could go back to games with awesome models/materials and apply really accurate RT as a shader or something, it will totally transform old games in the same way supersampling them does.
I think it would really shine in the Bethesda games. Wouldn't be a quick fix though. They would have to completely rework there lighting engine.

mcjmetroid

Anyway let's get to it here.
The author is seriously drinking some Kool aid here.

I dont know the guy and didn't click into the Article but as soon as you read " PS5 haptic feedback" as the only actual positive over PC gaming the mask comes off doesn't it.

I always love how people like this say
"OMG you spend 1000 on a PC and only 500 quid for a PS5"
as IF gaming is the ONLY thing you'll be doing with your personal computer and not one of the infinite other tasks it can do.

Kuranghi

What you're seeing is a limitation. There is no way to make the lighting better in that situation using the light probe method. It is an dynamic object(NPC) riding in a dynamic object(limo) all in real time. There is no way to bake the lighting. The only way to get better at this point is using some form of tracing. Here is R2R2 in the same exact scenario:

I get it, I meant with a lot of work maybe they could teleport you to an interior thats a fake car ride somewhere else on the map on entry since the journey has no choice, its kind of a cutscene. Probably thats not feasable ofc.

I understand why its not possible on RDR 2 since thats dynamic.

Console gaming is easier and more affordable, in other news 💧 is liquid. I also like to game in front of big ass TV, something PC gamers never do even though they always like to say they can. Plug and play.
I've just moved from a 55" 4k to a 165hz 32 inch 1440p, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

That 55" is strictly for trash tv now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
4K quality ? Lol, yeah, with variable resolution... Only Astrobot run at native 4K all the time on PS5 right now...

1593818861-ht0hwmqi.png

To be fair, I'm firmly of the mind that going for native 4K is not the best use of rendering resources. 1440p with more effects and better FPS would always be my choice and I will barely notice the difference. Even more so with checkboarding reconstruction techniques or DLSS.

Last edited by a moderator:

S0ULZB0URNE

So the cross-gen version that lacks next-gen features like RT, crashes regularly, has no mods, and was removed from the PS Store made him regret PC gaming? Along with a PC/Xbox exclusive and a game that runs better on a 2060 Super?

I stand by my assertion this is retarded clickbait.
Again the PS5 version hasn't released/is not playable.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Their support page says: "Graphics Mode – Targets 30fps performance with ray tracing (transparency and reflections) at 1440p render resolution and 4K output"

RT Reflections and Transparency Reflections make up PC's 'Medium' RT Preset. Using 1440p Base upscaled to 4K with all Highest settings, 4xMSAA, and 'Medium' RT a R5 1600+2060 Super gets ~40fps in general exploration, ~35fps in combat, and 31fps min during a cutscene. This was over a 30min play session, and doesn't take into account DLSS.

In a stationary position in an office area RT 'Off' = 50fps, RT 'Med' = 40fps, RT 'High' = 30fps. RT is heavy. Probably even more so on AMD's solution found in consoles when considering that a RX 6800 fares about as well as a RTX 2080 in DF's Control RT benchmark.

4K quality ? Lol, yeah, with variable resolution... Only Astrobot run at native 4K all the time on PS5 right now...

1593818861-ht0hwmqi.png

I am not sure this is entirely true.

Pretty sure Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, Fenyx Rising, Demon's Souls, The Pathless, NBA 2k21, AC:Valhalla, and Godfall all offer native 4k output modes

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
cormack12 cormack12 should have broken that up into quotes dude because I initially thought that was you writing that hot garbage and I was going to have to slap you around some for it James.T.Kirk style

bitch slap slapping GIF

Also, seems I'm not alone in this regard. You should probably edit that first post dude. 🤔

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That's cool.

I haven't touched my PS5 in roughly a month (other than to get the Jan PS+ games), and use my PC daily to game.

Different strokes
Same, pretty much. Definitely different strokes.

Some people would rather sit in a living room setting as opposed to a desk-like setting, and there's vice versa!

Top Bottom