• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the PS4 Jaguar CPU to the PS5 Zen CPU benchmark comparison

Ar¢tos

Having two CPUs with different architecture which need to work together is nightmare from any point of view.
I don't see why. FreeBSD can handle different architectures and it has been done before. All it takes is for the instructions to be translated between instruction sets. In a way the Ps3 was already doing this, the PPC core had an architecture and instruction set somewhat different from the SPUs.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Apollo H. already shared a better/correct way of comparing cpus

Thread for Thread (theoretical max, as threads are not as efficient as cores)
XB1@56Gflops (8T@1.75Ghz)@1046 points (Cinebench R20)
PS4@51GFlops (8T@1.6Ghz)@950 points (Cinebench R20)
4670@64Gflops (4C@4Ghz)@1254 points (Cinebench R20)
i7 9700@147Ggflops (8C@4.6Ghz)@3750 points (Cinebench R20)
i7 9700@131Gflops (8C@4.1Ghz)@3340 points (CB R20) +45% than i3 10100
i3 10100@131Gflops (4C,8T@4.1Ghz)@2284 points (Cinebench R20)
i5 10500@191Gflops (12T@3.9Ghz)@@3100 points (Cinebench R20)
PS5@224Gflops (4.4x) (16T)
XSX@230Gflops (4.1x) (16T)
3700X@268Gflops (16T)/3800X@5000 points (Cinebench R20)
3900X@403Gflops (24T)
3950X@560Gflops (32T)@9300 points (Cinebench R20)
3990X@1,9996Gflops (128T)@23500 points (Cinebench R20)

Threads used for Games (2 core, threads for OS, background tasks)
XB1@42Gflops (6T)
PS4@38GFlops (6T)
PS5@196Gflops (5.1x) (14T)
XSX@201Gflops (4.8x) (14T)

Is there anyway to know how many Gflops the PS3 had if you include unusable cores, threads for OS, and background tasks?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All this console chipset tweaking makes you wonder.

I get it that console hardware can get special console tweaks, but wouldn't it more cost effective just to go ask AMD to use a current PC cpu/gpu and tag along making millions more of that instead of a custom made chip?

Journey

Banned
Why not compare to Series X CPU with the additional 100Mhz SMT at all times?

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Is there anyway to know how many Gflops the PS3 had if you include unusable cores, threads for OS, and background tasks?

Wiki says

The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to aspects of the OS and security, and an eighth is a spare to improve production yields. PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves a theoretical maximum of 230.4 GFLOPS in single precision floating point operations and up to 15 GFLOPS double precision[1]

CELL Chip
8x SPE, 8x 25.6Gflops = 204.8Gflops SPE + 1x PPE = 255 or 265Gflops
PS3 Chip
6x SPE, 6x 25.6Gflops + 1x SPE for OS, Tasks (dont know if clocked the same, as the other 6x SPE or at a lower speed, an 8th SPE disabled) = 169 or 179Gflops

6x SPE + 1x SPE + 1x PPE = 230Gflops
PPE = 51Gflops or 61Gflops

Krisprolls

Banned
Yeah. All of them are dead static worlds with almost no interactivity. Old Trespasser has more interactive world than all that games together.

Lol now Horizon and God of War are dead static world. I read it all. So much salt.

Tetris sure looks better on PC 4K/120 fps with Geforce 3x series.

Accept most of the best looking games are console exclusives due to budget and talent and despite having less tetrafloops (tm), you'll feel better.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wiki says

CELL Chip
8x SPE, 8x 25.6Gflops = 204.8Gflops SPE + 1x PPE = 255 or 265Gflops
PS3 Chip
6x SPE, 6x 25.6Gflops + 1x SPE for OS, Tasks (dont know if clocked the same, as the other 6x SPE or at a lower speed, an 8th SPE disabled) = 169 or 179Gflops

6x SPE + 1x SPE + 1x PPE = 230Gflops
PPE = 51Gflops or 61Gflops

MAN! The CELL was a BEAST! Especially for its time. I see why it cost so much and almost bankrupted the Playstation brand lol. I feel good about next-gen now. We have a CPU with the power of the CELL (but 17 million times easier to use) combined with a state of the art RDNA2 GPU, super-fast SSD, and 1st class I/O to boot.

Lol now Horizon and God of War are dead static world. I read it all. So much salt.

Accept most of the best looking games are console exclusives due to budget and talent and despite having less tetrafloops (tm), you'll feel better.
What's interactive about their worlds? Footprints in the snow? Breath of the Wild on weaker hardware was substantially( and by a big big margin) more interactive than either GoW or H:ZD. My biggest complaint about H:ZD was that it's world was just a pretty landscape that you couldn't do anything with. It's like the city in Mafia 2. Looks great, but there's nothing to do.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Sounds about right, but people should keep in mind PS5 CPU will be not wasting CPU usage on sound and data decompression compared to PS4, so the difference will be much bigger.

ripeavocado

Banned
Notice that while PS5 and XSX have lower frequencies than the standard 3700X that charts compares Jaguar and Ryzen at the same frequency, PS4 and XB1 cpus had low freqs

Apollo H. already shared a better/correct way of comparing cpus

Thread for Thread (theoretical max, as threads are not as efficient as cores)
XB1@56Gflops (8T@1.75Ghz)@1046 points (Cinebench R20)
PS4@51GFlops (8T@1.6Ghz)@950 points (Cinebench R20)
4670@64Gflops (4C@4Ghz)@1254 points (Cinebench R20)
i7 9700@147Ggflops (8C@4.6Ghz)@3750 points (Cinebench R20)
i7 9700@131Gflops (8C@4.1Ghz)@3340 points (CB R20) +45% than i3 10100
i3 10100@131Gflops (4C,8T@4.1Ghz)@2284 points (Cinebench R20)
i5 10500@191Gflops (12T@3.9Ghz)@@3100 points (Cinebench R20)
PS5@224Gflops (4.4x) (16T)
XSX@230Gflops (4.1x) (16T)
3700X@268Gflops (16T)/3800X@5000 points (Cinebench R20)
3900X@403Gflops (24T)
3950X@560Gflops (32T)@9300 points (Cinebench R20)
3990X@1,9996Gflops (128T)@23500 points (Cinebench R20)

Threads used for Games (2 core, threads for OS, background tasks)
XB1@42Gflops (6T)
PS4@38GFlops (6T)
PS5@196Gflops (5.1x) (14T)
XSX@201Gflops (4.8x) (14T)
It's surprising how the PS4/xb1 CPUs aren't that much slower than those 9th gen i7s and 10th gen i3/i5!.. and almost on par with the i5 4670.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Sounds about right, but people should keep in mind PS5 CPU will be not wasting CPU usage on sound and data decompression compared to PS4, so the difference will be much bigger.
The PS4 has sound (audio DSP from AMD) and decompression hardware (zlib based decompression of assets) too, just not the same level of decompression or sound processing.

someone correct me if I am wrong, but the PS3 and xbox 360 both lacked hardware accelerated audio... they thought that they could get away with using CPU based mixing and processing because their CPUs were "so powerful".

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The PS5 isn't using a 3700X, its based on the 4800 Laptop APU with cut down clocks and cache levels, so you can knock at least 20% off those 3700X scores for a true representation, still massively more powerful but not quite the jump these graphs suggest.
The XSX is comparable to a 4800H and this is a tad bit slower...

Great Hair

Banned
It's surprising how the PS4/xb1 CPUs aren't that much slower than those 9th gen i7s and 10th gen i3/i5!.. and almost on par with the i5 4670.

An overclocked 4670K@5Ghz would be +45% faster. The haswell serie were launched in 2012 iirc. The Jaguars 2013 and only "competitive" due having 8 threads. Had they only just 4 cores, threads@1.6Ghz they prolly would be as fast as 1x SP3 of the PS3 chip :p

The i7 9th series is up to 3x times faster and more (150 vs 50) on paper. Then again, this is not 100% accurate more an estimation. Else an i5 750 clocked at 5Ghz would be as fast as an Haswell 4670K@5Ghz.

atleast thats how i understand it

He's right tho. Those worlds are pretty, but very static and un-interactive.

Krisprolls

Banned
He's right tho. Those worlds are pretty, but very static and un-interactive.

That's completely false, there are tons of interactive things. Look in Horizon, grass moving, dinos moving everywhere, wind in Ghost Tsushima altering everything. Which much more interactive worlds are you thinking about ?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The PS5 isn't using a 3700X, its based on the 4800 Laptop APU with cut down clocks and cache levels, so you can knock at least 20% off those 3700X scores for a true representation, still massively more powerful but not quite the jump these graphs suggest.
The 4800(and console SoC) are monolithic dies, so reduced latency between cores compared to a 3700X, for systems using GDDR6 as system memory this is extremely important.
The performance difference between the two at 3.5-3.8Ghz is negligible, that 20% figure is a tale from your ass.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't see why. FreeBSD can handle different architectures and it has been done before. All it takes is for the instructions to be translated between instruction sets. In a way the Ps3 was already doing this, the PPC core had an architecture and instruction set somewhat different from the SPUs.
Fun fact: Intel processors are in fact RISC. x86 code (which is CISC) is translated on the fly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fun fact: Intel processors are in fact RISC. x86 code (which is CISC) is translated on the fly.

Yes and no... there are still macro coded instructions (like on PowerPC to be fair) but yeah uops are mostly the fixed length instructions side of the equation people associate with RISC cores: https://riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Tue1130celio-fusion-finalV2.pdf

You do pay a heavy tax in the front end logic to do all the fancy dance of uops generation from x86 instructions and macro ops fusion albeit you have denser code (variable length instructions but less of them) which helps your instruction cache somewhat.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sigh, you toxic little Sony fanboys really are the worst...

Tell me what you see and work it out for yourself..

iIH08Ib.png

3700X
nY4GmbY.png

Seeing as Cinebench scores scale up or down linearly with clock speeds, the scores between the 4800 & 3700 will always have the same differential, approx 15%, then factor in reduced cache and the PS5 having 1 core/2 threads unavailable for gaming purposes, the 20% reduction in pure CPU processing power is easily reached.

Now you can argue that Sony's custom PS5 SDK & API's will overcome that CPU deficit and that maybe true, but that was not the original point of this thread, was it.

It depends on how much developers will run with SMT turned off as it is 3.6 GHz otherwise. MS is still running with a fully virtualised approach like on Xbox One which does add a bit more of a tax on the system (but has great BC positive side effects). Sony’s software stack also tends to be lower level (GNM vs DX12U, something that MS is not hiding... they say they are doing somewhat more custom work on the XSX console as they allow developers to reach deeper, but also their point is that they designed it not to be too much of a problem: higher clockspeed helps with that a lot... but it brings systems closer).

Quite interested to know why Sony did not offer a performance profile with SMT disabled reaching 3.6-3.7 GHz too... 🤷‍♂️.

kuncol02

Banned
That's completely false, there are tons of interactive things. Look in Horizon, grass moving, dinos moving everywhere, wind in Ghost Tsushima altering everything. Which much more interactive worlds are you thinking about ?
Interactive environment my ass. You could replace whole environment in Horizon with cardboard cutouts and nothing in gameplay would change.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
4 x has been known for a long time, and its 8 x for AVX.

Whats interesting is with CPU heavy next gen games with more physics, animations and alive worlds, PC is no longer 4 to 5 x the console jaguar CPU power to brute force frame rates on more complex games without going much wider.

Next gen will be interesting for sure.
I do not like this "brute force" name calling, I think it's sufficient power for next gen, which hopefully is going to be enough for a long years without botllenecking rest of the HW.

geordiemp

I do not like this "brute force" name calling, I think it's sufficient power for next gen, which hopefully is going to be enough for a long years without botllenecking rest of the HW.

I was referring to zen2 as brute force, on pc xbox and ps5. so iI was not really name calling anything really. Call it super force if ut helps.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I was referring to zen2 as brute force, on pc xbox and ps5. so iI was not really name calling anything really. Call it super force if ut helps.
This implies shitty coding and since I doing programming, I don't find that nice, that's all. However that's all I have againts your argument : D

thelastword

Banned
At the end of the day, CPU's are only good if you actually use the power. Say what you want jaguar, but devs actually used and maxed the PS4 CPU and used GPGPU to help with some CPU-Centric processes, whilst i7's have not been maxed primarily for gaming since the i7 2700k.......What's the guarantee next gen? Finally a 16 core CPU will be used to it's brim and be maxed out just for gaming......Welcome to your AI, Physics, LOD and Drawcalls overlords...Things are about to get downright silly and ambitious......

93xfan

Banned
Its always been about the games. Take the PS2: terrible hardware but generally considered the best console of all time because of its extensive and diverse library.
Sure, and some of the best games ever are 8 and 16 bit. But aren’t you glad to see tech progress so we can have games like RDR2 be possible? Better destruction and AI could lead to some really fun gameplay

Top Bottom