• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the PS4 Jaguar CPU to the PS5 Zen CPU benchmark comparison

GamerEDM

Banned
gVi1bmM.jpg

Source
redgamingtech

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
The PS5 isn't using a 3700X, its based on the 4800 Laptop APU with cut down clocks and cache levels, so you can knock at least 20% off those 3700X scores for a true representation, still massively more powerful but not quite the jump these graphs suggest.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying the 3700X is equivalent to console CPU's? It's probably the closest but compared to the desktop-class, it has a paltry amount of L3 cache.

Furthermore, Renoir also has a Zen-2 based 8C/16T CPU in the Ryzen Pro 4700G 3.6GHz with the same L3 cache as the PS5 and same clock speeds yet it's about 15% slower than the 3700X when OC'd to 4.5GHz compared to 4.3GHz for the 3700X.

Here, however it seems to be pretty much a wash but boosts higher. Don't forget the SX has no boost to 4.4GHz like the PC CPU's which can boost 1-2 cores at a time.

I'm not quite ready to say the consoles are equivalent to the 3700X. I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.

Last edited:
The PS5 isn't using a 3700X, its based on the 4800 Laptop APU with cut down clocks and cache levels, so you can knock at least 20% off those 3700X scores for a true representation, still massively more powerful but not quite the jump these graphs suggest.

The 3700X is capped at 3.5 GHZ in the benchmark (at the PS5's max frequency). The lower L3 cache might have an impact, but we're talking maybe a handful of percent of lower performance.

GymWolf

You can't have a next gen game which doesn't take advantage of the new CPU power. All other games for the past 7 years have been using those horrible Jaguar cores as minimum spec. It's why the R&C world looks so alive.
I think that most of the spectacle in ratchet is gpu work more than cpu work.

I want to see some non scripted destruction in future games, now they have zero fucking excuse.

kuncol02

Banned
Its always been about the games. Take the PS2: terrible hardware but generally considered the best console of all time because of its extensive and diverse library.
PS2 for time it was made was fine console. I can't think of generation with so underpowered CPU as current one. That shitty Jaguar was slower in some applications than X360 PowerPC.

geordiemp

what does that even mean

CPU Powerful force, call it whatever you like if it makes you happy. That was not the point being made.

Point is next gen Consoles will be Zen 2 3.5 Ghz and so any next gen game CPU heavy you cannot just throw 4 x the power at it as easily as was possible last gen to get high frame rates.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Apollo H. already shared a better/correct way of comparing cpus

FLOPS = 2 * (# of cores) * (number of clock cycles per second) * (number of floating point operations per cycle) for x86 architecture

PS3 Cell ran at 3.2GHz, SPU could do four single-precision floating-point numbers in a single clock cycle
So a single SPU FLOPS= 2*1*4*3.2=25,6 GFLOPS

PS4 Jaguar ran at 1.6Ghz, could do two single-precision floating-point numbers in a single clock cycle
So PS4 whole CPU FLOPS=2*8*2*1,6=51,2 GFLOPS
Thread for Thread (theoretical max, as threads are not as efficient as cores)
XB1@56Gflops (8T@1.75Ghz)@1046 points (Cinebench R20)
PS4@51GFlops (8T@1.6Ghz)@950 points (Cinebench R20)
4670@64Gflops (4C@4Ghz)@1254 points (Cinebench R20)
i7 9700@147Ggflops (8C@4.6Ghz)@3750 points (Cinebench R20)
i7 9700@131Gflops (8C@4.1Ghz)@3340 points (CB R20) +45% than i3 10100
i3 10100@131Gflops (4C,8T@4.1Ghz)@2284 points (Cinebench R20)
i5 10500@191Gflops (12T@3.9Ghz)@@3100 points (Cinebench R20)
PS5@224Gflops (4.4x) (16T) roughly 4,070 points (Cinebench R20) -18.6%
XSX@230Gflops (4.1x) (16T) roughly 4,186 points (Cinebench R20) -17%
3700X@268Gflops (16T)/3800X@5000 points (Cinebench R20) 100%
3900X@403Gflops (24T)
3950X@560Gflops (32T)@9300 points (Cinebench R20)
3990X@1,9996Gflops (128T)@23500 points (Cinebench R20)

Threads used for Games (2 core, threads for OS, background tasks)
XB1@42Gflops (6T)
PS4@38GFlops (6T)
PS5@196Gflops (5.1x) (14T)
XSX@201Gflops (4.8x) (14T)

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
It’s the same for PS4 so what’s your point?

No point other than the above benchmarks show a 3700X running at the same clock speeds as the PS5 but with all of its 8c 16t being used, which the PS5 won't be able to do for gaming, so its not exactly an accurate representation of the performance available to the PS5, in terms of CPU grunt.

Zathalus

No point other than the above benchmarks show a 3700X running at the same clock speeds as the PS5 but with all of its 8c 16t being used, which the PS5 won't be able to do for gaming, so its not exactly an accurate representation of the performance available to the PS5, in terms of CPU grunt.
You do realize that the computer OS has a performance overhead as well right? A PC is not getting 100% of that 8c/16t at all times, some performance is left on the table to execute background OS tasks. Perhaps not a entire cores worth, but the impact is there all the same.

GymWolf

Unfortunately nobody force devs to insert more physics in their games if they don't wanna waste time and money on it, also more physics always come with more glitch and bugs to iron out in betatesting, so even with these big cpu upgrade we really don't know how devs are gonna use all this power.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned

Actually, the AMD 4800H CPU's design is monolithic, so those cache decreases doesn't affect it, in fact, it is scoring better than the 3700X in some benchmarks, it is about the same if not as powerful.

Also, consoles are way more optimized and are made for one certain task, and that is gaming, just look at how Digital Foundry made a PC with an equivalent of PS4/XB1 Jaguar CPU, the CPU utilization was at 99% all the time, they couldn't play a freaking game, yet PS4 & Xbox One can play games like RDR 2, TLOU 2, Doom Eternal at 60 FPS etc etc...

All I'm saying is that these comparisons you're making are wrong, in fact, if we factored in everything, you would see the Ryzen 3700X struggling with the higher-end Next-gen games while the CPUs inside XSX/PS5 will be doing it easily.

Last edited:

nochance

Banned
Actually, the AMD 4800H CPU's design is monolithic, so those cache decreases doesn't affect it, in fact, it is scoring better than the 3700X in some benchmarks, it is about the same if not as powerful.

Also, consoles are way more optimized and are made for one certain task, and that is gaming, just look at how Digital Foundry made a PC with an equivalent of PS4/XB1 Jaguar CPU, the CPU utilization was at 99% all the time, they couldn't play a freaking game, yet PS4 & Xbox One can play games like RDR 2, TLOU 2, Doom Eternal at 60 FPS etc etc...

All I'm saying is that these comparisons you're making are wrong, in fact, if we factored in everything, you would see the Ryzen 3700X struggling with the higher-end Next-gen games while the CPUs inside XSX/PS5 will be doing it easily.
So, will PS5 not have a background OS and recording/streaming functionalities? Or the online communications available at all times? Wow, that's a massive downgrade from a PS4 if that's the case.

pc peasants frothing teraflops and cache levels seem to forget modest jaguar was enough to play HZD, Detroit, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, GoW and other games that tend to graphically humiliate pc gaming

LED Guy?

Banned
So, will PS5 not have a background OS and recording/streaming functionalities? Or the online communications available at all times? Wow, that's a massive downgrade from a PS4 if that's the case.
You're not getting it, I'm saying that even with this, it still is much more optimized than on a PC, it's a fact you have to deal with.

kuncol02

Banned
pc peasants frothing teraflops and cache levels seem to forget modest jaguar was enough to play HZD, Detroit, Driveclub, Uncharted 4, GoW and other games that tend to graphically humiliate pc gaming
Yeah. All of them are dead static worlds with almost no interactivity. Old Trespasser has more interactive world than all that games together.

aries_71

Why did they think that jaguar was a good basis for this generation? It was a power consumption, or cost decision?

Fake

Why did they think that jaguar was a good basis for this generation? It was a power consumption, or cost decision?

Money. You people are delusional if you think Sony and Microsoft should use a 'Intel like' CPU for current gen. For the time PS4/Xbox was launched and for the price they're asking, was a excellent deal.

Every console CPU is trash for non talent hands.

Ar¢tos

1 core 2 threads on the CPU are reserved for running the PS5 operating system at all times in the background.
Comparing a Jaguar core to a Zen2 core, half of a Zen2 core would already be an overload for a BSD based OS to run on the background.
What's your source?

4x jump is solidly sweet :messenger_ok:

Comparing a Jaguar core to a Zen2 core, half of a Zen2 core would already be an overload for a BSD based OS to run on the background.
What's your source?

There are no sources for OS core/thread reserves on any systems yet. However, I'd figure you would want to isolate the OS to its own core for security-related reasons and to just give the OS it's own guaranteed space on the CPU to crunch work whenever it needs to (which will be often).

I guess he is referring to lower L2 cache in consoles and lower fequency comared to desktop, this is known......but again we dont know the effect on performance as its a console APU architecture.

Remember seeing stuff on the 4800H a while back. Dunno about the lower L2$, but L3$ for sure is cut back on both systems. Then again, they wouldn't need as much as desktop (and at least they actually have L3$, the prior systems didn't).

So are we really looking at more around 80% of 3700X in the consoles?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

4x jump is solidly sweet :messenger_ok:

There are no sources for OS core/thread reserves on any systems yet. However, I'd figure you would want to isolate the OS to its own core for security-related reasons and to just give the OS it's own guaranteed space on the CPU to crunch work whenever it needs to (which will be often).

Remember seeing stuff on the 4800H a while back. Dunno about the lower L2$, but L3$ for sure is cut back on both systems. Then again, they wouldn't need as much as desktop (and at least they actually have L3$, the prior systems didn't).

So are we really looking at more around 80% of 3700X in the consoles?
Reserving a full core for OS probably made sense with Jaguar, but a full Zen2 core is a massive waste of resources. It would be better to get a stronger (than ps4) secondary ARM processor with it's own RAM able to handle the OS fulltime.

kuncol02

Banned
Reserving a full core for OS probably made sense with Jaguar, but a full Zen2 core is a massive waste of resources. It would be better to get a stronger (than ps4) secondary ARM processor with it's own RAM able to handle the OS fulltime.
Having two CPUs with different architecture which need to work together is nightmare from any point of view.

Top Bottom