• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 will be the last console ever produced.

yurinka

PS4, PS5 and Switch are basically performing better than any previous console ever performed in several areas. 100% sure they both will release at least another console after them, the opposite would be really retarded.

Sure, they will expand in areas like mobile, PC, streaming, VR and moving their IPs beyond gaming (movies, tv shows, theme parks, merchandising of all kinds like toys, comics or books, etc...) but they will continue focusing on game consoles to play on a tv this generation and the next one.

Game streaming, mobile or VR may grow faster than consoles but consoles will also grow and their market will still be way bigger than the VR gaming market or the game streaming market (massive server cots to put the amount of required data centers around the world to have a global coverage, if 4G today still doesn't have a proper worldwide coverage it will be even worse for 5G in 6 years or so from now, most areas around the world don't -and won't in 6 years from now- good enough internet connections, many countries have data caps).

And the Sony and Nintendo part of the console market may grow more than the console market growth if MS -the only ones who may not release another console- doesn't release another console for the next generation and switch to full multi 3rd party instead.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe in a traditional format, depending on upcoming technological advancements. Switch formats could become the norm and then there's the potential for things like the Quest.

So maybe but I doubt it is the last run for closed proprietary platforms with everyone going PC style after, even taking in account a PC can nowadays have portable form factor too.

Last edited:

Yoboman

The whole theory of success for Cloud gaming seems to be that Gamepass is doing well

Except Gamepass is successful through local hardware. It isn’t a cloud service

The Netflix comparison is flawed because Netflix came out only a handful of years removed from us watching movies on VHS and square TVs. It was a superior experience to what many were accustomed to even with its flaws

Gaming requires a very different set of expectations and there is a high bar for responsiveness and consistency of the product going back decades. It introduces new flaws that are probably at the very top of issues gamers do not want to deal with

Cloud gaming has essentially bombed in every iteration and PSNow only picked up some steam when it pivoted to local downloads

And if internet somehow gets good enough for a flawless experience, well that would also mean a local download of the game would be lightning fast so Cloud will always be compared to the local experience

I dont think PS5 will be the last console Sony ever makes. I am looking forward to PS5Pro and PS6. PS6 *maybe* the last console due to 6G (bandwidth up to 1TB/Sec) and Wifi7 (40gbps), in which you may not need local hardware acceleration because you have sufficient bandwidth to offset computational needs to super cloud computing. Hence power of da cloudz.

Besides I want to see what RDNA4, RDNA4 and Zen4 & 5 are capable of.

Will PlayStation exclusives be enough

Any company can stream games but it's going to be those iconic exclusives that will separate them from the pack. MS understands this and that's why they've spent billions trying to buy iconic franchises because they know they're going to need something to offer gamers that can only be played on their networks. Sony already has it they didn't need to spend billions in order to get it so they're in a very good position.

ACESHIGH

Banned
This may be it but I think it will be due to Moore's law. How hard will it be to put together a console 4 times more powerful than a ps5, at a decent price and a small form factor?

Kokoloko85

Nah, there will be more consoles.
Streaming wont be matching Consoles and PC’s for awhile, epecially fighting games, racing games and FPS online.

MS still need to sell consoles otherwise they wouldnt make 3SKU’s in 3 years?

TheGrat1

Even Microsoft seems to acknowledge they are looking to compete with Google and Amazon
Competing with people who have no games. Don't hurt yourself trying clear that bar, Microsoft.

Games will always become bigger and more complex with more graphical bells and whistles, the market demands it. Streaming can never be faster than local rendering and calculation, Crackdown 3 proved this if common sense did not already. Bigger, better consoles will be needed to handle that load and thus they will always sell in the future. Saying that this demand will disappear also implies the gaming GPU/CPU market will also disappear as they both fulfill the same purpose: Getting new consoles/cards because they can do what they old ones can not.

I will believe it when I see it.

maybe consoles going forward in the future could be a purely cosmetic thing

if xbox pc and playstation technologically "merge" then maybe the choice of getting one or the other could come down to what exterior design/user interface you like better

i actually hope it goes in this direction

cross play between all three, as well

nbkicker

If it does go digital then ill just stop gaming,or start building my retro gaming selection up , although come to think of it im in my late fortys now so the ps5 could be my last console, enjoyed gaming from my first atari although the way through owning every console and handheld ever made, just wish i had kept hold of them all now

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
The Playstation 5 will not be Sony's last console. It will be one of the last mainstream game consoles on the market though. The PS6 and Xbox Series S2 will be $1000+ upgradable niche hardware that only the hardest of the hardcore will buy. Everyone else will stream to mobile or PC. These consoles will last 10 years or so as Sony and MS will release upgradable SOCs to improve CPU and GPU performance.

This is contingent on streaming tech not stagnating in 4-5 years. All Stadia and Xcloud need to do is improve just a little bit so this isn't that far-fetched. Stadia is already so excellent after my 100+ hours with it and even Xcloud is more than playable, even though not as good as Stadia tech-wise.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I can see MS and Sony joining forces to keep google and Amazon from taking over at some point.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
*insert console name here* will be the last console ever produced

cdc.jpg

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So long as COMCAST dominates the US market for internet access, cloud gaming is essentially wadding in shallow waters.

MrA

PS4, PS5 and Switch are basically performing better than any previous console ever performed in several areas. 100% sure they both will release at least another console after them, the opposite would be really retarded.

Sure, they will expand in areas like mobile, PC, streaming, VR and moving their IPs beyond gaming (movies, tv shows, theme parks, merchandising of all kinds like toys, comics or books, etc...) but they will continue focusing on game consoles to play on a tv this generation and the next one.

Game streaming, mobile or VR may grow faster than consoles but consoles will also grow and their market will still be way bigger than the VR gaming market or the game streaming market (massive server cots to put the amount of required data centers around the world to have a global coverage, if 4G today still doesn't have a proper worldwide coverage it will be even worse for 5G in 6 years or so from now, most areas around the world don't -and won't in 6 years from now- good enough internet connections, many countries have data caps).

And the Sony and Nintendo part of the console market may grow more than the console market growth if MS -the only ones who may not release another console- doesn't release another console for the next generation and switch to full multi 3rd party instead.
that's the thing even if demand for dedicated game consoles dropped 75% that'd still be 10 million units a year, somebody would want a piece of that action plus I can't see the ps5 doing meaningfully worse than the ps4 ( I stand by +/- 10% compared to ps4), that would be totally insane to go from a device that sells over 100million units over it's life to , I quit!

(25 years ago)

Anchor: "The 3DO is selling slow, and the new comers didn't sell 10 million out the gate. Looks like 3D won't save the video game industry and it's end is finally here. It's time to write the epithets."

(1 year later)

Anchor: "This year we mark the end of the video game. It lasted longer than expected but I'm happy to report tha-"

Reporter: "News report update sir"

Anchor:"... What the fuck is a Bandicoot?"

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
honestly, like the other post said, if cloud gaming take over, i quit gaming.

It is impossible to stream games in my country seriously.

yurinka

that's the thing even if demand for dedicated game consoles dropped 75% that'd still be 10 million units a year, somebody would want a piece of that action plus I can't see the ps5 doing meaningfully worse than the ps4 ( I stand by +/- 10% compared to ps4), that would be totally insane to go from a device that sells over 100million units over it's life to , I quit!
Yep. And well, PS5 is performing better than PS5 in terms of launch aligned sales and player engagement, PS4 launch aligned is 2.5M consoles away of being the best selling console ever in gaming history at its current life cycle point, PS4 is the console with the biggest amount of games sold for it in gaming history, PS4 still has almost 100M MAU buying games and like half of them paying PS Plus/Now, they are expanding their IPs releasing movies or tv show of their games and releasing old ports on PC to reach new people so maybe to sell more consoles in the future, etc.

And Jimbo said they plan to have more exclusives in PS5 than in their previous consoles, that they are growing their internal development teams and that it's likely that we'll see soon. And they also seem to be addressing the PSVR and PS Now issues on their next gen version.

So basically everything has been great in PS4 and seems to be on track to perform even better on PS5, console that pretty likely will beat all the huge amount of gaming history records set by PS4.

I can see MS and Sony joining forces to keep google and Amazon from taking over at some point.
If you mean to release all future MS games and GamePass on PS6+PC following to the announcement that MS won't release another gen of consoles after Series X after seeing many Zenimax games being released at launch or after a timed exclusive on PS5, then yes, it's likely.

But if you mean MS and Sony teaming up to make a new console or to merge their services that won't happen basically because Sony doesn't need them. Sony will continue ruling the console market with game/DLC/mtx sales, game subscription services, game streaming and VR, and even movie/tv streaming apps like Netlix, at the same time they also keep expanding with game streaming+native games in PC and mobile plus movies and so on.

Amazon (and everybody else) will be constrained by the limitations of streaming (+internet) technology for at least 10 years, and as happened to them in their mobile game store they will have a tiny market share in PC if they try to compete against Steam, or even to release their own console to compete against PlayStation.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If you mean to release all future MS games and GamePass on PS6+PC following to the announcement that MS won't release another gen of consoles after Series X, then yes.

But if you mean MS and Sony teaming up to make a new console or to merge their services that won't happen basically because Sony doesn't need them.

if you say so champ

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
In 2004 I took a class on video game design. We made fun of the teacher was saying the next big thing was gaming on mobile devices.

It sounded stupid at the time. But he was right.

Sometimes people just know more about things than you do. Do I think this author is right about the Playstation 5 being the last console? Probably not. But Cloud gaming is going to come, sooner rather than later. And when it does people will eat it up.

Probably not, but this will definitely be the last console generation with disc drives.

Sony already is the only platform holder who has their high end current gen console with a discless option.

EDMIX

Probably not, but this will definitely be the last console generation with disc drives.

Sony already is the only platform holder who has their high end current gen console with a discless option.

Doubtful. The fact that the discless version is selling less, the fact that the discless version of the new XB is selling less and the fact that game sizes will increase, not decrease shows we will likely continue to have both options.

honestly, like the other post said, if cloud gaming take over, i quit gaming.

It is impossible to stream games in my country seriously.
Now it is! This is 6 years from now, plus I do believe we will get another console generation so you're talking over a decade away.

NahaNago

This is doubtful when you see how the ps5 is selling all of the consoles it's producing right now. I'm not even trying to think how large games are going to be with the 8k games for ps6 when games are already hitting 200 gigs now. I do think that streaming will be far more of a thing later in to this gen just how like going digital became a much bigger deal last gen.

Shubh_C63

I will never understand why people are so eager for the inferior gaming experience.
The same reason why most PC gamers are using mid tier GPU happily playing at 1080p and only enthusiast are investing big.

Cloud has potential to reach twice as many people compared to now. If INSIDE was working on a web browser I would have forced many of my family members to play it. But yeah, this is 2030 at least. The internet rate and spread from 2010 to 2020 was ok, nothing substantial, and at this pace ight as well be 2036.

Elog

If by console you mean a local electrical unit that enables you to play games on some sort of visual device (tv, monitor etc) - the answer is no. We are chasing that last FPS and measure input lag in ms with very small differences being noticeable. By any logic cloud gaming will never be a thing with hard-core gamers unless there is a massive leap in technology. It might be a way to expand the gaming market into new customer segments though.

Varteras

Gold Member
Could you imagine Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony coming together to collectively give the finger to those guys? Like I'm not even sure how it would work but damn.

iceatcs

More likely for Microsoft side, I don’t think they will like to stick console after game pass everwhere.

BbMajor7th

Round and round it goes... I wish journalists could just be happy with MS carving out a respectable space in a notoriously difficult market instead of them constantly gunning for them to own that market outright. It's one of the few industries where mega-corps can still get laughed out the room (see Google's limited success with Stadia, or the insta-flop of Disney's most lucrative IP) and Microsoft did a hell of thing creating a space for XBOX within that.

EDMIX

Round and round it goes... I wish journalists could just be happy with MS carving out a respectable space in a notoriously difficult market instead of them constantly gunning for them to own that market outright. It's one of the few industries where mega-corps can still get laughed out the room (see Google's limited success with Stadia, or the insta-flop of Disney's most lucrative IP) and Microsoft did a hell of thing creating a space for XBOX within that.

Agreed.

Holy shit, with all the failures XB had any other company would have been called it quits generations ago. My only major crititsium with MS is how many times they kept making the same mistakes generation after generation. Sony wrote the book on how to move massive units.

Lots of studios, give them freedom, continue to do new series ever generation.

The fact that MS bought a shit load of studios, wants to give them lots of freedom and has several major AAA new IPs being made shows they are on the right track, on top of what they are doing with Gamepass. MS stuck with it, took the lumps and continued to change instead of just quitting like you saw from Amazon, Google etc. Although I'm unlikely to ever own an XB (unless someone buys one for me or something) , I am how ever for the first time in generations actually looking to buy several MS published titles on PC. They should have done this shit generations ago imho.

martino

For content producer streaming is an additional source of revenue stream to distribute / exploit them
Of course if one become too much niche it's possible it will disappear....but do we really have an example of this ever happening for cultural products ? of course not counting new data storage tech replacing older ones (and even there vynil/dvd would want a word with you)

Zeroing

Banned
I remember the PS3 days of Sony is doomed!

the way I see, looking at all of Sony business, they are platform agnostic. The best reviewed tv shows from Apple TV and Netflix are from Sony. They are making a new tv show for HBO.

once upon a time they had a music service now their music it’s everywhere.

Sony image processors are in the iPhones yet they also make phones

the war implies there’s a winner but if you see from a business point, Sony is everywhere although “hidden” behind other brands.

with PSnow, Sony must had concluded that business wise, it’s not worth pushing that service
because there’s no demand.
if indeed there’s a demand for gaming streaming.. I think they will go platform agnostic.

I think they are focused on VR, untapped market!

Top Bottom