• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 will be the last console ever produced.

Zeroing

Banned
I can see MS and Sony joining forces to keep google and Amazon from taking over at some point.
Could be but if they can get into the gaming market, this is not the 2000s anymore! MS got lucky it entered in the gaming industry in that era! What I mean is in the past 1990s several companies tried and failed. The ones who stick around seem to understand what gaming is about. And now the gaming industry is more complex than ever!

yurinka

I remember the PS3 days of Sony is doomed!

the way I see, looking at all of Sony business, they are platform agnostic. The best reviewed tv shows from Apple TV and Netflix are from Sony. They are making a new tv show for HBO.

once upon a time they had a music service now their music it’s everywhere.

Sony image processors are in the iPhones yet they also make phones

the war implies there’s a winner but if you see from a business point, Sony is everywhere although “hidden” behind other brands.

with PSnow, Sony must had concluded that business wise, it’s not worth pushing that service
because there’s no demand.
if indeed there’s a demand for gaming streaming.. I think they will go platform agnostic.

I think they are focused on VR, untapped market!
There is a big difference between gaming and their other divisions, PlayStation is a distant market leader in basically all areas, beating gaming history records for any console platform holder and are on a growing trend:
-Making revenue for a console platform holder
-Selling console hardware
-Selling console games
-Selling game subscriptions on console
-They are the only ones with game streaming on console (with a profitable business that has an important, way bigger library than their competition and an already existing important growing catalog and userbase)
-They are the only ones with VR on console (with an already existing important growing catalog and userbase)

Their 1st (includes 2nd) party games are also selling better than ever.

Regarding PS Now, what they concluded after some years testing it on a few contries and slowly growing its library and userbase is that it's a profitable business with a huge potential so they are improving it in some key areas and will scale it up to achieve a more global market. They are improving its technology getting it ready for next gen and 5G, they will run PS5 games on it, they are improving its business model and also improving its catalog while also plan to open in more countries.

They are also starting to expand into PC with old, previous gen ports and PS Now. And to mobile with a few internal games plus PS Now to further grow their IPs, get more fans for their console and get more direct and indirect extra revenue and profit. And they are licensing their gaming IPs to other Sony divisions to make movies and tv shows to make more revenue and profit and get new fans for their consoles.

So for the time being, even if expanding to PC and mobile mostly via PS Now they will continue focus on their own console because it's their core business not only in gaming, but also for Sony as a whole.

As MS continue slowly moving their focus to PC and 3rd party publishing on console, PlayStation market will grow even more. Which at the same time will help grow their PS Plus and PS Now game subscriptions to a point where they will have a userbase, catalog, technology and content where the others won't be able to compete.

Last edited:

night13x

I've seen this same type of articles from the ps3 era...ps4 era...and now ps5 era (and I fully expect this for the following eras as well).

However the plot deepers further than this. Leaks from the underdark web...say Microsoft is going to buy all the console companies in a massive buyout and put an end to consoles for good....and it will happen on a Wednesday

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
These kind of American reporters clearly not biased for the American company report the death of the Japanese competitor and the death of the console market every generation for the last 20 or so years... at some point they will be right of course, but for now they keep their writing article quota up with “quality” content :rolleyes:.

Letter from the Director​

Capital & Celeb News, also known as CCN, CCN.com, and CCN Markets, was founded in the summer of 2013 in Norway by serial entrepreneur Jonas Borchgrevink.

In 2018 we brought in new expertise to cover the categories:

• Financial Markets
  • Gaming
  • Showbiz
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Politics
We do not have any political agenda. However, we do allow Op-Eds and opinions on CCN.com, covering a range of topics and author perspectives.

Who owns CCN.com?​

CCN – Capital & Celeb News is a subdivision of Hawkfish AS. Hawkfish AS is owned by IAKIP AS which is fully owned by Jonas Borchgrevink. Sister-site: Hacked – Protection against Online Abuse and Cybercrime

Geographic affiliation​

We consider ourselves as a global news organization, not explicitly affiliated with Norway. Our main audiences are located in the U.S. and U.K.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bernkastel Bernkastel almost (would be one out of many over the years, but let's pretend it were not for a minute)... as "We consider ourselves as a global news organization, not explicitly affiliated with Norway. Our main audiences are located in the U.S. and U.K."

Last edited:
Doubtful. The fact that the discless version is selling less, the fact that the discless version of the new XB is selling less and the fact that game sizes will increase, not decrease shows we will likely continue to have both options.

Digital game sales are 60-80% of the sales of a new game globally. All those digital sales give the publisher or the first party like Sony even more money than a physical copy.

This is at the start of this generation too. It will only go up.

Also the Series S is not the high end MIcrosoft console so that is mainly why it is being passed over. The digital PS5 is being manufactured much less so it is being constrained so it’s tough to say.

Also in regards to game sizes they are going down at least compared to their last gen versions. How will an Unreal Engine 5 game fare? Who knows but it seems size of games and keeping them smaller is something newer engines are trying to push for.

Digital is unfortunately the way forward and a disc drive being in a console will be the exception soon and not the rule.

I don’t like it and I only buy physical and with CMOS on Sony consoles and the DRM issues with Xbox consoles even physical games aren’t future proof.

However you only have to look at almost all other entertainment mediums to see we are entering a digital future. Physical games will be a rare breed.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Interesting article.

Sony may win the console battle with Microsoft but it may very well lose the war. Even Microsoft seems to acknowledge they are looking to compete with Google and Amazon and Sony isn't even their concern anymore.

Microsoft has the infrastructure and know how to potentially dominate Sony over Cloud gaming. I like being able to stream games myself. Will PlayStation exclusives be enough?

https://www.ccn.com/the-ps5-could-be-sonys-last-gaming-console-ever/

Nice finally i can give up on console gaming and just spent money on traveling and other great stuff

RobRSG

m3Dua1J.jpg

They will prevail…

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I really doubt it. PS6 will be entering R&D in a year or less.
There were patents for what could be in a PS6, many thought it was gonna be too much for a PS5 Pro. Something about a chiplet design? This was a few years before the consoles launched IIRC.

With the way the PS5 is selling there is no need for Sony to stop anytime soon. It will just be another product to use for streaming, thats it.

dano1

A Sheep
Until streaming games are the same or better it might never happen. Haven’t heard anybody saying how great streaming works yet. But I’ve heard the opposite

Silvawuff

I disagree with you, OP. Consoles are in a golden era. There seem to be plenty of buyers considering you can't even get a PS5 without some serious hassle, and there's the rumors with the Switch 2/Pro on the horizon.

Maybe in the distant future, but consoles will definitely be on the table for a long time to come.

The PS4 was supposed to fail badly because PCs and mobile was apparently taking over.

I have not seen or looked at complete data on this, but given how PS4/Switch sold in the last few years (and how the PS5 sells now) I think that consoles are on pretty nice trajectory at the moment.

Yes, the one and series are doing OK, but as things stand none of them will hit 50mil units sold or shipped... I assume MS are not playing this game to finish third forever (I know their studios could turn this around, but this will be two or three years in the future—if they were to ship the right games).

Top Bottom