• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 Line Up in 2023 is easing away from Cross Gen releases

yurinka

The point is, that PS4 users are on the decline and PS5 users are on the incline and you can multiply that exponentially with every passing season the PS5 stock improves. If you want to believe the PS5 will continue to be a big seller for the next several years that is.

It makes no sense to support a past gen console after 2023
It's retarded, nonsensical and suicidal to reject two thirds of your revenue. PS4 gave them 2/3 of their PSN revenue last fiscal year, and even if will keep decreasing as people upgrades this FY very likely will continue being the majority, and the next one pretty likely won't be a majority anymore but still a big chunk. So they need to support these users.

Also, if there isn't more people upgrading to PS5 it's because of they can't ship more consoles, they have been constantly selling out super quickly.

Nothing indicates that players have an issue with the PS5 catalog: in addition to be sold faster than ever, the PS5 users are also more engaged than they were on PS4 (so in than any other console ever, since PS4 is the console that by far sold more games for it in gaming history).

That indicates that players are ok with the current strategy and like the stuf that gets released. Specially when seeing GoWR, HFW or GT7 selling faster than any previous game ever made in these studios.

Sony and the other publishers are slowly migrating to next gen only games but it's too soon to totally cut the PS4 new content. For different reasons people at this point of the PS4 lifetime there are way more active players and purchasers than there were in previous consoles, and they also need to eat good.

In addition to this, AAA games take longer to be developed than in previous generations, meaning that most big ass AAA games being released in 2023 were started to be developed when devs didn't have the engines, devkits or even the specs of the next gen consoles, so they are basically PS4 games and to make these games PS5 only wouldn't almost change them.

As an example, Street Fighter 6 development started in 2018 and will be released in 2023. 5 years of development.

And this is a fighting game of an stablished IP and made by the same team that made the previous one and is experienced in the genre, which in the AAA area requires way smaller work than way bigger games that have tons of content and features more, that are a new IP which requires a lot of work more creating the world, characters, story, mechanics etc, or when it's made by a team inexperienced in that genre or game type. Several big AAA games require 6, 7 or even more years.

Last edited:

Ramz87

Gran Turismo 7, Sackboy, Returnal, Astro's Playroom.

Quite a few of them actually.
My bad, didn’t realise Returnal had RT. Gran Turismo has RT in replays only though doesn’t it? It’s weird that none of the big studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and Sony Santa Monica haven’t been able to implement RT into their games yet.

rofif

Banned
With the unconfirmed exception of TLOU Factions, PlayStation has moved to prioritizing the PS5 experience first and foremost for it's 2023 releases.

8w97gy.jpg

Delays not withstanding, PlayStation's 2023 lineup looks incredible.
Incredible is not a word I would use... not yet at the very least with what was announced.
Stellar blade is also coming out on PC, isn't it ?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm getting a PSVR2. Hopefully there are some good games on it.

Only games I'm looking forward to are Armored Core 6, and FFXVI. I don't believe FFVII-2 will come out this year. The Forspoken demo was high dumpster trash.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I wouldn't hold my breath on Factions coming out in 2023. Druckman said "we'll see more of this game come next year".

The games been in dev for 2 years. That's not very long.

It's retarded, nonsensical and suicidal to reject two thirds of your revenue. PS4 gave them 2/3 of their PSN revenue last fiscal year, and even if will keep decreasing as people upgrades this FY very likely will continue being the majority, and the next one pretty likely won't be a majority anymore but still a big chunk. So they need to support these users.

Also, if there isn't more people upgrading to PS5 it's because of they can't ship more consoles, they have been constantly selling out super quickly.

Nothing indicates that players have an issue with the PS5 catalog: in addition to be sold faster than ever, the PS5 users are also more engaged than they were on PS4 (so in than any other console ever, since PS4 is the console that by far sold more games for it in gaming history).

That indicates that players are ok with the current strategy and like the stuf that gets released. Specially when seeing GoWR, HFW or GT7 selling faster than any previous game ever made in these studios.

Sony and the other publishers are slowly migrating to next gen only games but it's too soon to totally cut the PS4 new content. For different reasons people at this point of the PS4 lifetime there are way more active players and purchasers than there were in previous consoles, and they also need to eat good.

In addition to this, AAA games take longer to be developed than in previous generations, meaning that most big ass AAA games being released in 2023 were started to be developed when devs didn't have the engines, devkits or even the specs of the next gen consoles, so they are basically PS4 games and to make these games PS5 only wouldn't almost change them.

As an example, Street Fighter 6 development started in 2018 and will be released in 2023. 5 years of development.

And this is a fighting game of an stablished IP and made by the same team that made the previous one and is experienced in the genre, which in the AAA area requires way smaller work than way bigger games that have tons of content and features more, that are a new IP which requires a lot of work more creating the world, characters, story, mechanics etc, or when it's made by a team inexperienced in that genre or game type. Several big AAA games require 6, 7 or even more years.

The difference is SF6 is also targeting a Japanese userbase where supply is still as bad there as it was in 2021 for US. They aren’t the demo playing Factions

Last edited:

twilo99

It would be dumb for them to make Factions cross-gen in 2023+, people are playing PS4 less and less these days and im sure they have the data to back it up which is why even Horizon’s DLC is PS5 only.

PS5 and PC is where the vast majority of the fanbase thats gonna be playing this game are. Especially as more time goes on. It made sense with single player stuff as they want the frontloaded sales but a game thats meant to exist for years might as well drop it.

If they target PC that essentially makes the games “crossgen” since most gaming PCs are weaker than the PS5…

Riiight?

rofif

Banned
But I'm not you?

And nobody mentioned PC either.
The list is of ps5 console exclusives right? So it's fair to point out that some of the games come out on pc too.
Playstation have not revealed their line up for 2023 yet. So there is just spider-man2.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Factions will most certainly NOT be cross-gen.
Factions 2 (working title) was/is the multiplayer mode of The Last of Us Part II.
A PS4 game.
Factions 2 will almost certainly be cross-gen if only to not be a big fuck you to PS4 owners waiting for the multiplayer mode they were promised way back when.
My bad, didn’t realise Returnal had RT. Gran Turismo has RT in replays only though doesn’t it? It’s weird that none of the big studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and Sony Santa Monica haven’t been able to implement RT into their games yet.
Are we just gonna ignore Insomniac now?

ND havent made a true nextgen only game yet: Part 1 doesnt count because I said so.
Sony Santa Monica havent done a nextgen only game either.
Guerillas next title and maybe even the Burning Shores update will bring RT in some form for sure.

I also think alot less studios are actually gonna pine on about RT outside of shadows just cuz of how RDNA2 does RT.

Pelta88

The list is of ps5 console exclusives right? So it's fair to point out that some of the games come out on pc too.
Playstation have not revealed their line up for 2023 yet. So there is just spider-man2.

Not once did I mention exclusives.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Insomniac did, and other studios just have their own lighting solutions.

For example, Naughty Dog likes to control lighting in their game to create their desired artistic result. Honestly, I'd take whatever Naughty Dog and Santa Monica did in TLOU 2 and GOW Ragnarok over most ray-tracing solutions out there.

And Horizon Forbidden West also uses ray-tracing, just not in the way we're used to seeing. At this point, I think ray-tracing has become more of a buzzword. The end-result matters more.

“We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics, and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing. I’m not a tech engineer, so I can’t explain it in much more detail than this. But yes, we are utilizing it.” -- Game Director Mathijs de Jonge

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Factions 2 (working title) was/is the multiplayer mode of The Last of Us Part II.
A PS4 game.
Factions 2 will almost certainly be cross-gen if only to not be a big fuck you to PS4 owners waiting for the multiplayer mode they were promised way back when.

Factions 2 was rebooted in 2020. No one who bought TLoU2 was "promised" a multiplayer mode. Naughty Dog explained months before release that multiplayer was not to be included.

Factions will likely release late 2023 or 2024. You don't release a 10 year GAAS title at that point by crippling it with cross gen. PS4 revenue would be minuscule from 2024 - 2034.

It won't be cross gen.

yurinka

The difference is SF6 is also targeting a Japanese userbase where supply is still as bad there as it was in 2021 for US. They aren’t the demo playing Factions
When in 2018 Capcom started to develop SF6 they didn't have any idea of how PS5 shipments were going to be in 2021 or 2022. In fact, back then they didn't even have the PS5 specs, devkits or engines, so they had to start developing the game for PS4.

The USFIV port, SFV and SF6 are console exclusive for the PS4 generation, so very likely all 3 are part of the same deal signed back in 2015, when also didn't have any idea of PS5 Japanese 2021 shipments.

Like all Capcom and Sony games, SF6 targets a global audience, which includes Japan. And Japan represents a small portion of the worldwide market for Capcom, Sony and Microsoft.

It doesn't make sense to think that the decision of releasing the game in PS4 has been made now and even less that was related to any country specific shipments for 2021/2022.

Factions 2 was rebooted in 2020. No one who bought TLoU2 was "promised" a multiplayer mode. Naughty Dog explained months before release that multiplayer was not to be included.

Factions will likely release late 2023 or 2024. You don't release a 10 year GAAS title at that point by crippling it with cross gen. PS4 revenue would be minuscule from 2024 - 2034.

It won't be cross gen.
It wasn't rebooted, what they said was that it started as the multiplayer game mode for TLOU2 but its scale started to be too big and instead of discard cool ideas to have it ready for the TLOU2 release as a game mode, they did prefer to move it to a separate standalone game, which would allow keep all these ideas and bring even more ones to the table going beyond with the scope of the game instead of having to reduce it.

Seems it ended becoming the largest ND game ever. But it started as TLOU2 DLC, meaning it uses the TLOU2 engine, very likely updated with the PS5 and PC new stuff they added for TLOUP1 or Uncharted Thieves Collection. But at the end if it's the TLOU2 engine it should have any issue running on PS4. In fact, pretty likely they started to develop it for PS4 since TLOU2 development started in 2014.

Also, considering that it's a GaaS game they may want to have the biggest userbase possible, so pretty likely they'll also plan to release it on PC, so pretty likely scalating it to the highest amount possible of potato PCs, which should be around the PS4 HW range.

And well, I think they never promised that it's going to be a 10 years game.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
A PS4 game.

There isn't upside anymore for PS Studios launching cross-gen games in 2023. The PS4 player base has dwindled and PS5 supply has effectively caught up with demand over the past month; sales stats bear this out. Now that supply is sufficient, Sony has every reason to cut PS4 development to signal to remaining PS4 stragglers that it is time to upgrade to the next gen hardware. Also note that as a service title, longevity has to be taken into account. I guarantee you it won't be cross-gen.

There isn't upside anymore for PS Studios launching cross-gen games in 2023. The PS4 player base has dwindled and PS5 supply has effectively caught up with demand over the past month; sales stats bear this out. Now that supply is sufficient, Sony has every reason to cut PS4 development to signal to remaining PS4 stragglers that it is time to upgrade to the next gen hardware. Also note that as a service title, longevity has to be taken into account. I guarantee you it won't be cross-gen.

Yeah, its baffling people don’t realize sony is trying to move people to the consoles they actually have on shelves right now and will for the foreseeable future. They got PS5’s right now on their website, if they could suddenly stop sales of Ragnarok PS4 they probably would.

Kvally

Banned
The problem lies with entry level PC support and HHDs.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
While I wouldn’t call that lineup anything close to incredible, it does appear they are finally easing away. Horizon’s DLC being PS5 only is pretty interesting.

Hopefully, Sony has something else unannounced releasing next year.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The problem lies with entry level PC support and HHDs.
Huh, look at that. Shit a lot of us were saying since the Cerny magic SSD presentation.

Which is why it was much easier for them to port cross-gen games over to the PC than PS5 only developed games.

Duchess

Do we know if FF7 Rebirth is going to be using Unreal Engine 5..? Online reports seem to be conflicting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Also, considering that it's a GaaS game they may want to have the biggest userbase possible, so pretty likely they'll also plan to release it on PC, so pretty likely scalating it to the highest amount possible of potato PCs, which should be around the PS4 HW range.

This is probably the best argument for a cross gen release.

Still, Burning Sands DLC is PS5 only and it's hitting on April 15th. The PS4 user base is exponentially more lucrative at that point than it will be for the life of Factions 2.

yurinka

This is probably the best argument for a cross gen release.

Still, Burning Sands DLC is PS5 only and it's hitting on April 15th. The PS4 user base is exponentially more lucrative at that point than it will be for the life of Factions 2.
Yes, I think that to make Burning Shores next gen only is a weird move because people who bought the game for PS4 may want to play it but may not have money for a PS5.

I understand that as time passes the percent of new game releases that are next gen only will keep increasing and that 2023 or 2024 will be the first one with a majority of next gen only releases. And I understand that brand new games, specially those who didn't start its development as PS4 games (so who started their development around 2019 or later), will start being next gen only. But I find weird to see a PS4 crossgen game getting a PS5 only dlc.

supernova8

Banned
With the unconfirmed exception of TLOU Factions, PlayStation has moved to prioritizing the PS5 experience first and foremost for it's 2023 releases.

8w97gy.jpg

Delays not withstanding, PlayStation's 2023 lineup looks incredible.
Not to be pedantic but only three of those games are even Sony first party titles. The rest are money-hatted from other publishers.

Accordingly, not sure if's accurate to say "playstation" is doing anything special here.

Not to be pedantic but only three of those games are even Sony first party titles. The rest are money-hatted from other publishers.

Accordingly, not sure if's accurate to say "playstation" is doing anything special here.

Stellar Blade is first party, its being published by Sony just like Ori or As Dusk Falls

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Lol oh really surprised Sony would publish something like that. Looks pretty vaporware-ish.
It was announced for all platforms and Sony bought publishing rights after the announcement.

The internet was all up in arms about it, just like Tomb Raider and Starfield....

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don’t think RT was “missing” from Horizon at all. Fortnite also arguably has the best lighting in any game currently and doesn’t have RT either.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Technically, if PlayStation is the only console those games are released on, it's basically PlayStation funding them. The money is for producing and keeping the game on PlayStation forever.

i.e., Take this money. Make this game. Release it on PlayStation.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Honestly, I’m glad for the people who are exited but looking at that line up and it’s too many sequels for my liking. The only original game being Forspoken, which looks crap IMO.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Honestly, I’m glad for the people who are exited but looking at that line up and it’s too many sequels for my liking. The only original game being Forspoken, which looks crap IMO.
In my opinion, it is the right balance: multiplayer, single-player, sequels, new IPs, VR games, etc.

New AAA IPs are very expensive and risky to make now. Stellar Blade and Forspoken are new IPs. Final Fantasy XVI isn't technically a new IP, but all Final Fantasy games are different and self-contained. Apart from the Final Fantasy name, it is pretty much a new game with its own story, characters, world, combat, and mechanics.

The same goes for TLOU Online. It'll be unlike anything ND has done before with story-based live-service MP game, so it'll be very fresh.

Top Bottom