• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886. Worth it for £8.99?

It's currently on sale on the PSN store for under a tenner.

Never really got round to playing it, but years later after the dust has settled from the reviews, what do people make of the game?

Is it worth playing at that sale price?

Cheers!

cormack12

Gold Member
You'll get about 7-9 hours out the game and it's pretty solid and a looker. The werewolf boss in the warehouse is a bit mobile game-eque but I had fun with it. If you have nothing to play then it's a decent time filler between more bloated titles.

Mista

Banned
For the great cinematic experience? Yes. It’s actually worth more than that so go for it. Never mind those exaggerating posts, nothing new here.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I preordered the special edition so i definitely felt robbed although i enjoyed it. But its short af and the story is open for a sequel I want but don't think we'll get since Sony didn't acquire RAD.

Ignore the hot takes in this thread. I bought it full price on launch day. It's an enjoyable, story-driven 7 hour game that will leave you wanting more. Still one of, if not the best, looking game this generation and was made with pure passion and love.

It was/is the perfect pallet cleanser from the 150+ hour slog collect-a-thons and 10 min hot-drop multiplayer games that never end.

Plus, the ending fight is perfect in how it ends.

If only internet warriors (the same people who give EA and Ubisoft shit for their games) would have just embraced something different, we would have had a trilogy and Ready at Dawn wouldn't have gone through such hardship.

Ignore the hot takes in this thread. I bought it full price on launch day. It's an enjoyable, story-driven 7 hour game that will leave you wanting more. Still one of, if not the best, looking game this generation and was made with pure passion and love.

It was/is the perfect pallet cleanser from the 150+ hour slog collect-a-thons and 10 min hot-drop multiplayer games that never end.

Plus, the ending fight is perfect in how it ends.

If only internet warriors (the same people who give EA and Ubisoft shit for their games) would have just embraced something different, we would have had a trilogy and Ready at Dawn wouldn't have gone through such hardship.

Yup I'm a big fan of games that are willing to take risks and are story driven. I just went on the USA psn store and got The Order 1886, Nex Machina and Get Even for under $20.00.

Quite pleased with that. Two interesting games and a brilliant bullet hell from House Marque, a great dev. :)

Yup I'm a big fan of games that are willing to take risks and are story driven. I just went on the USA psn store and got The Order 1886, Nex Machina and Get Even for under $20.00.

Quite pleased with that. Two interesting games and a brilliant bullet hell from House Marque, a great dev. :)
You're in for a treat. Don't rush through the order, enjoy it, enjoy the world and take in the small details. When you walk through the Victorian district, look in the shop windows, in there are glass bottles that have reflections. A small detail, but a lot of care went in to making the scenes look perfect.

I wouldn’t spend a dollar on it. I think it will be free on PS+ soon.

I wasn’t impressed by the game whatsoever when I tried it awhile back.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
It's currently on sale on the PSN store for under a tenner.

Never really got round to playing it, but years later after the dust has settled from the reviews, what do people make of the game?

Is it worth playing at that sale price?

Cheers!

I paid full price back in the day and enjoyed the shit out of it. It's true thy needed to add more gameplay but the combat thy did have was good imo. The recycled bs boss fights were trash. The weapons were dope! It's definitely worth tht price imo.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I enjoyed it at the time, and I too would like a sequel, but at this point there are so many better games that even at £9 it's probably not worth it.

But if you're curious and you like a linear shooter then go for it.

Psykodad

Banned
One thing that has always confused me, is that most people completely ignored how RAD truly nailed the 3rd person gunplay.
Gameplay might have been limited, but that’s an aspect besides visuals where they definitely raised the bar for TPS, imo.

Last edited:
One thing that has always confused me, is that most people completely ignored how RAD truly nailed the 3rd person gunplay.
Gameplay might have been limited, but that’s an aspect besides visuals where they definitely raised the bar for TPS, imo.

I personally didn’t find any of the action compelling.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. My only warning is this, if you do end up enjoying it, the ending with leave you wanting a sequel that will likely never be made. For that reason alone, it's hard to recommend. Gameplay is a bit basic but it's damn beautiful to look at and I liked the story/characters.

Fbh

If you really enjoy nice visuals and art direction then sure, if nothing else the visuals still look fantastic and the whole victorian london with supernatural elements setting is great. One of the big issues at launch was also how short it was with little to no replay value so the price helps with that.
Aside from that though, the gameplay (when you are actually allowed to play) is nothing special and completely misses the point of "cinematic" gaming, and the story is decent but suffers from trying to build a franchise before first ensuring people (and publishers) will actually want a sequel.

Last edited:
Avoid it. I was dumb enough to get it and man it's the worst pos i 'played' [briefly] in a decade. 🤮

And btw it looks like shit too. brownish pallet with extreme film grain that makes it look like 360p youtube video quality on 4k tv and ps4pro! Total trash all around I'm being honest here.

rofif

Banned

Although their taste can be weird. They hated Uncharted 4 (and I liked it) but they also hate Alien Isolation which I agree with.
That said -I've not played The Order because of their review. But seeing as I liked Uncharted games and love gears of war, who knows

Aion002

I did not buy him I borrowed it from a friend and I enjoyed the game. I finished him in 3 days playing 2 hours per day... So it's a short game.

The graphics are amazing, the art is incredible and the characters are good.

The gameplay is ok and it can be entertaining.

Th enemy Ai is horrible making the game really easy and simple.

The plot is ok and the bosses are kinda terrible (too easy and simplistic).

I think it's worth, however I did saw him at 4 usd on PSN US once in a flash sale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game got shit on so much, and sure, it was a poor value at $60 in terms of sheer hours, but I really enjoyed my time with it. It's still probably the most impressed I've been visually with a game this generation and I really liked the world and atmosphere they built. The actual gameplay was pretty satisfying, too. For the prices you can get it at now, I would highly recommend it.

Codes 208

Visually the game looks amazing but everything else was garbage. I borrowed my friend’s copy and i still felt ripped iff.

basically imagine taking gears but dumb down the gameplay, make it almost strictly a corridor shooter with really dumb AI, some repetitive bosses and a so-so story with very little lasting value. Oh, and no multiplayer to distract you from the four hours youve just wasted.

Vawn

Banned
I went expecting nothing and was blown away by how much better it is than many would lead you to believe.

It's a good game and a sequel could have been fantastic. Too bad we are unlikely to ever get it.

Eiknarf

Wait
I’m not familiar with this game

Why do only 16% of critics recommend it? That’s terrible

The Alien

Banned
It's the best worst game I've ever played.

Top notch character design, voice acting, graphics, lighting, story, monster design, setting/world building.

Really shitty gameplay. Game is also short...and heavily padded as well.

I got it for ~$5 USD. Enjoyed the shit out of it at that price. Woulda been pissed if I paid anywhere near the $60 launch price.

I say give it a go at that price.

Top Bottom