• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

undrtakr900

Wow this thread is deader than dead, does anyone still watch lol?

I don't really go out of my way to watch TNS, so much as I don't change the channel after TDS (Trevor's been killing it).

I like they finally figured out a good set-up for the round-table(2 staff, 1 guest). But the quality can vary wildly based on who is on the panel.

What has been consistently solid is Rory Albanese, wheather it's a segment or roundtable, he has some of the best characters too.

Conversely, Ricky Valdez and Jordan Carlos have been consistently horrible, theier segments feel awkward and thier only contributions to the round-table are lame forced jokes.

At this point I'm just watching to watch, because i already started watching.

I don't really go out of my way to watch TNS, so much as I don't change the channel after TDS (Trevor's been killing it).

I like they finally figured out a good set-up for the round-table(2 staff, 1 guest). But the quality can vary wildly based on who is on the panel.

What has been consistently solid is Rory Albanese, wheather it's a segment or roundtable, he has some of the best characters too.

Conversely, Ricky Valdez and Jordan Carlos have been consistently horrible, theier segments feel awkward and thier only contributions to the round-table are lame forced jokes.

I'm still watching. The show is a mess and needs to be re-tooled if they want to have a decent chance of getting the ratings of the Colbert Report. The writers are garbage, Larry is a garbage host, the skits are garbage, his contributors aren't funny or charismatic. And that cold open segment is unfunny, they might as well just start with the opening song.

The round table discussions have devolved into two contributors who want to get a laugh out of the audience with the dumbest opinion on the matter and one celebrity who barely knows the issue with Larry also trying to squeeze out a laugh from the audience.

ctfg23

I'm still watching as well, and have been since the show started. I think the shows main problem is how inconsistent it is. Sometimes it's really funny and other times it's pretty cringe-y. The only two correspondents who are consistently funny are Mike and Rory, but I think the others would be fine with better writers. The show is also much too short for the panel format to work well. The topics are often the same ones as TDS, so I think it would be worth trying to connect the two and have Larry and the panel discuss the topics from the TDS that aired beforehand, having full panel episodes.

It's still enjoyable enough that I am going to continue watching, but its needs a lot of improvement to be on the same level as TDS.

undrtakr900

I'm still watching. The show is a mess and needs to be re-tooled if they want to have a decent chance of getting the ratings of the Colbert Report. The writers are garbage, Larry is a garbage host, the skits are garbage, his contributors aren't funny or charismatic. And that cold open segment is unfunny, they might as well just start with the opening song.

The round table discussions have devolved into two contributors who want to get a laugh out of the audience with the dumbest opinion on the matter and one celebrity who barely knows the issue with Larry also trying to squeeze out a laugh from the audience.

I agree Larry works best behind the scenes (ie Bernie Mac Show), he doesn't have the charisma to deliver punchlines effectively and needs to be more dynamic.

Oh and your round-table-analysis is spot-on. I literally stopped watching for several months after thier horrible cringe-inducing segment with Bill Nye, regarding "Water found on Mars":
http://youtu.be/yy7GOO7Y96Y

I'm still watching as well, and have been since the show started. I think the shows main problem is how inconsistent it is. Sometimes it's really funny and other times it's pretty cringe-y. The only two correspondents who are consistently funny are Mike and Rory, but I think the others would be fine with better writers. The show is also much too short for the panel format to work well. The topics are often the same ones as TDS, so I think it would be worth trying to connect the two and have Larry and the panel discuss the topics from the TDS that aired beforehand, having full panel episodes.

It's still enjoyable enough that I am going to continue watching, but its needs a lot of improvement to be on the same level as TDS.

Aside from Rory/Mike, the other correspondents feel like SNL rejects, who try too hard to be funny.

On the other hand, I like when TDS & TNS cover the same topics, because it gives 2 different perspectives on the same subject. Sometimes, one show mentions/covers something the other show didn't.

I think the panels are the worst thing about the show (because of the awful contributers), so having full-panel episodes wouldn't make it better. They need actual knowledgeable guests on the subjects, not just random comedians looking for a cheap laugh (that's what @Midnight is for, which I'm actually enjoying more than TNS).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

yeah im still watching every episode, i generally agree with you.

the only thing Jordan Carlos has done that has been genuinely hilarious is his Dennis Rodman. Holy shit that was pretty hilarious. mostly the voice.

I've been watching Nightly Show more regularly recently, just because I find that Larry has a really interesting perspective when it comes to racial issues that no other show host has. The humor isn't always there, but when Larry's bringing a new side to the issues, it almost doesn't matter.

And yeah, Mike Yard and Rory Albanese are definitely the best correspondents. The segment where they imitate news channel shouting "debates" is hilarious. And I'm always happy when at least one of them is in the panel section because then there's definitely going to be a moment where the entire table just loses it.

undrtakr900

Okay they need to stop with the whole "black people freaking out at magic" segment. Seriously, who on the staff thought that shit would be funny? Especially since they did the exact same lame bit before, ugh..

I've been watching Nightly Show more regularly recently, just because I find that Larry has a really interesting perspective when it comes to racial issues that no other show host has. The humor isn't always there, but when Larry's bringing a new side to the issues, it almost doesn't matter.
I like that Larry will bring up more racial issues/injustices but he needs better dialog/segments for better sarirical impact.

I actually watched this show last night for a few minutes to see how it's been going. I made it about halfway before I turned the tv off and went to bed. Larry's delivery is still pretty horrible; it's like the crowd has to search for the punchline seconds after the joke has concluded. The commentary Larry provides isn't insightful enough to make up for being critically unfunny, either. I hoped it would get better when I stopped watching, but it seems to have stagnated. Shame. :/

Azriell

I like the guy but the show just drags. Half of the jokes get nearly no reaction and the interviews and celebrity guests I've seen were just awkward and bumbling.

Larry would be much better in and number 2 or 3 seat.

SeanC

I'm glad this got bumped because I like to get updates every few months on if the show has gotten better. It saves me the time.

I think this shows that Larry was just better playing off another person than outright hosting because he was brilliant on the Daily Show sitting across from Stewart or Oliver. Do they still have the same correspondents? They are the definition of "try too hard" and probably the main reason I stopped watching.

ctfg23

Aside from Rory/Mike, the other correspondents feel like SNL rejects, who try too hard to be funny.

On the other hand, I like when TDS & TNS cover the same topics, because it gives 2 different perspectives on the same subject. Sometimes, one show mentions/covers something the other show didn't.

I think the panels are the worst thing about the show (because of the awful contributers), so having full-panel episodes wouldn't make it better. They need actual knowledgeable guests on the subjects, not just random comedians looking for a cheap laugh (that's what @Midnight is for, which I'm actually enjoying more than TNS).

I agree that the full episode panels would only work if they got better guests. I feel like the show could take a few cues from the way the panels are handled on Real Time, which usually has informed guests with different opinions so that there is actual discussion and debate going on, as opposed to TNS which often consists of the whole panel agreeing with each other and trying to make jokes instead of providing meaningful discussion.

undrtakr900

HOLY SHIT, did anyone watch Neil Degrass Tyson's response to B.o.B's (the world is flat diss track) tonight? It was literally the best thing ever on the show, he just destroyed B.o.B lmao.
"btw, this is gravity.." *drops mic*

*I'll post a link to the video, once ComCentral uploads to youTube*

eDIt: Comedy Central uploaded the clip to thier website:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/rca4i...egrasse-tyson-slams-flat-earth-theorist-b-o-b

eDIt #2: Comedy Central uploaded the clip to youtube also:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBZkek8OSU

I agree that the full episode panels would only work if they got better guests. I feel like the show could take a few cues from the way the panels are handled on Real Time, which usually has informed guests with different opinions so that there is actual discussion and debate going on, as opposed to TNS which often consists of the whole panel agreeing with each other and trying to make jokes instead of providing meaningful discussion.
Yeah Real Time's guests are miles better than TNS, who are more knowledgeable and Bill Maher has a balance of pros/cons panelist on the debate issue.

Still TNS's best 2 panels (both from early 1st season) were:
1) Gang Members on the Baltimore Protests
and
2) Black Women in the Workplace

When I get the chance to watch it, I generally enjoy it. I laugh when the jokes are made, and it is pretty rad to hear a minority opinion on current events.

Has Wilmore hated on Stacey Dash at all though?

HOLY SHIT, did anyone watch Neil Degrass Tyson's response to B.o.B's (the world is flat diss track) tonight? It was literally the best thing ever on the show, he just destroyed B.o.B lmao.
"btw, this is gravity.." *drops mic*

*I'll post a link to the video, once ComCentral uploads to youTube*

Just saw it. The segment was hilarious. Even the way the audience was reacting added to the comedy of it all.

I must say, if there were an award for "most improved", I'd give it to this show. I find it consistently more insightful and funny than I did at first.

haven't watched the show in months, guess I am not alone. Nightly Show down 55% from Colbert Report.
http://www.adweek.com/news/televisi...t-stephen-colberts-intellectual-appeal-169712

Sam Bee's new show on TBS though is fantastic, its sadly only a weekly but it has that punch / snark / bite lacking now on Daily and Nightly show. My go-to's for this election cycle are going to be John Oliver, Sam Bee, and Seth Meyers.

Last one is not a typo, Seth Meyers is actually pretty strong in the political chops comedy department. Which I would never, ever, ever have imagined.

davepoobond

haven't watched the show in months, guess I am not alone. Nightly Show down 55% from Colbert Report.
http://www.adweek.com/news/televisi...t-stephen-colberts-intellectual-appeal-169712

Sam Bee's new show on TBS though is fantastic, its sadly only a weekly but it has that punch / snark / bite lacking now on Daily and Nightly show. My go-to's for this election cycle are going to be John Oliver, Sam Bee, and Seth Meyers.

Last one is not a typo, Seth Meyers is actually pretty strong in the political chops comedy department. Which I would never, ever, ever have imagined.

well, its not a surprise that a major draw of those shows were the hosts themselves. replace some of the most funny and famous people with mildly funny, not famous at all replacements and this is what you get.

nightly show had to start from scratch and/or borrow from previous daily show for their staff since Colbert took his whole crew. That gave Nightly Show a bad start, i think.

it is interesting about the billy nye thing, though. i agree with the sentiment, but it wasn't something that made me not want to watch. there's been a couple of discussions where it wasn't really great, but they're mostly trying to get laughs rather than information out of the panels. its way better now they have only 1 guest and 2 of their contributors. gives the guest more time to talk.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I tried to give the Nightly Show a chance, I really wanted to like it. But I just didn't find it very funny or entertaining, and found the social commentary to have potential but always coming short (Colbert's satire was far more biting, for instance). The guests were often obnoxious too. So I just dropped it a few months ago and it doesn't seem like I missed much.

undrtakr900

The roundTable for last night's episode(Feb. 24th), about "NSA vs Apple" was excellent, which I dont say often. There were no "forced lame jokes", just a solid debate, made better because the guest brought a different viewpoint.

The panelist were:
> Rory Albanese ~ who's always great
> Franchesca Ramsey ~ TNS newcomer who brought intelligent insight to the subject
> Eddie George [guest] ~ who competently articulate his thoughts on NSA spying and brought a contrarian opinion to Rory/Franchesca.​

** If they can maintain this level of quality, the show would be much better.
** Even though the intro segment was forgettable.

eDIt: The best quotes were:
Rory:
"i dont connect violence and iPhones, I connect violence and guns"
Franchesca:
"we're more scared of brown terrorist but not white ones (referencing that white extremist have killed more than muslim extremist since 9/11)"
Larry:
"the governement wants as much info on you as posible.... unless that info involves your ownership of guns"

undrtakr900

Wow at that last episode....I have no idea how people think Mike Yard is one of the good correspondents. That was absolutely cringeworthy.
I still like Mike Yard for the most part, but his seemingly "vendetta" against Obama for not doing enough for blacks isn't justified. Considering Obama has to fight the Repubicans every f***ing step of the way to get the simplest bills passed, even if they would benefit to the public. Same reason Jon Stewart had to come out of his retirement to basically shame Congress into passing a health-care bill for 9/11 first responders.

But some segments, like last night "Black Martian" movie parody with Mike was pure pointlessness.

I've been watching this show for over a year now, and I think the only reason I continue to do so is because it's tab is right under The Daily Show on the Comedy Central site. Mike Yard is the standout act, and any segment without him feels lackluster in comparison. Holly Walker just doesn't have any sort of delivery in her lines and Franchesca (and the rest of the cast) tends to oversimplity most of the more nuanced issues they discuss, but I understand that's part of how the show "works". Robin and Rory are hit or miss. Grace is probably funny, but wasted on reoccurring segments abs running gags.

It's not a bad show, but it's getting harder to justify spending time to watch every episode.

davepoobond

Holly walkers lady time is boring.

The non-sexual way to eat a banana segment was hilarious. Rory is my favorite overall, with Grace Parra and Mike Yard second. The rest of them are kinda not great.

Holly walkers lady time is boring.

The non-sexual way to eat a banana segment was hilarious. Rory is my favorite overall, with Grace Parra and Mike Yard second. The rest of them are kinda not great.

Just about how I feel. Grace Parra is a wonderful surprise. Mike Yard is funny, but he can be pretty weird when it comes to making points on the panel. Rory's the perfect balance.

Low tier for the show has to be Jordan Carlos and Ricky Velez for sure though. Cringe ontop of cringe ontop of cringe.

undrtakr900

I found it funny(but not surprising), that they were the only late-nite political-satirical not invited to the Republican National Convention. But most off thier correspondents are horrible, so the off-site-segments would have been bad.

Even "Full Frontal with Samatha Bee" went to the convention, which is awesome show btw for those that aren't watching. (Mondays @ 10:30 on TBS)

Rory's the perfect balance.

Low tier for the show has to be Jordan Carlos and Ricky Velez for sure though. Cringe ontop of cringe ontop of cringe.
Agreed 100%

Rory Albanese is great in segments and especially the panel, where he brings a nice intellect to the discussion.

Unlike the horribly unfunny Jordan and Ricki, who have absolutely nothing noteworthy to say during panel, so they spout some lame ass jokes.

I got back on the train for this show about a month back and I'm happy I did. Larry is great and I like that the panel has evolved to exploring a viewpoint rather than pitting people against each other. The show is still evolving, thankfully, so I expect it to keep getting better.

I really like the Mike Yard conspiracy theory segments and Rory's characters are pretty good. I like Ricky but he hasn't been appearing as much.

Kreed

I'm actually enjoying Larry Wilmore a lot more than the Daily Show these days. They've gotten rid of the silly panel bits and just let the panels be panels discussing issues, Larry is showing more of his personality and opinions which is helping a lot, and the comedy bits are much better (Mike Yard's conspiracies and Rory's characters are funny).

I agree on Jordan and Ricki being the weakest parts of the show although Jordan does an "ok" Obama impersonation and his Dennis Rodman is so bad it's funny.

undrtakr900

Well it's officially been canceled, and I can't say that I am surprised...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1263369&page=1

They just never found their footing and their correspondents(aside from Rory Albanese & Mike Yard) were all over the place.

I thought Larry needed to be more dynamic with his"jokes", cause half the time it takes the audience 1-2 seconds to laugh, because he has such a deadpan voice all the time.

Oh well, I'm guessing(hoping) that Jessica Williams will take over his spot with a show of her own, or I think that's what they were hinting at.

davepoobond

Kind of sad watching the last episode. I saw a good 85% total of the show and dropped off only recently. It markedly got better but it lost its chance at getting an audience with the long ramp up. What it was now should have been where it was 6 months in.

It getting compared to Colbert report was sad, but also the format wasn't different enough from daily show either. I was a Fan of the panels in general but they had too many idiots on the panel interrupting the guests so it ruined it a lot.

I am Curious about what Larry will do next

undrtakr900

Kind of sad watching the last episode. I saw a good 85% total of the show and dropped off only recently. It markedly got better but it lost its chance at getting an audience with the long ramp up. What it was now should have been where it was 6 months in.

It getting compared to Colbert report was sad, but also the format wasn't different enough from daily show either. I was a Fan of the panels in general but they had too many idiots on the panel interrupting the guests so it ruined it a lot.

I am Curious about what Larry will do next
I always though the quality stayed in the middle, just getting by.

But agree about the panel, they would pick the worst people for the panel. They either have good staff(Rory + Mike) and a bad guest. Or great guest and horrible staff(infamous Bill Nye episode).

davepoobond

I always though the quality stayed in the middle, just getting by.

But agree about the panel, they would pick the worst people for the panel. They either have good staff(Rory + Mike) and a bad guest. Or great guest and horrible staff(infamous Bill Nye episode).

yeah hopefully ricky velez is never on TV again at least. that guy is the worst.

undrtakr900

yeah hopefully ricky velez is never on TV again at least. that guy is the worst.
I still cringe thinking of all the bad "jokes" he would say, basically "I have nothing to contribute the convo, so here's a lame joke.."

Been watching a lot of Bill Maher on youTube, and the panels were night and day compared to TNS.

Hey, you think he would still be on if he never attempted to do the panel? I think finding daily guests was his downfall, they just took whoever was available.

davepoobond

I still cringe thinking of all the bad "jokes" he would say, basically "I have nothing to contribute the convo, so here's a lame joke.."

Been watching a lot of Bill Maher on youTube, and the panels were night and day compared to TNS.

Hey, you think he would still be on if he never attempted to do the panel? I think finding daily guests was his downfall, they just took whoever was available.

no, i dont think the panel was the downfall per se. i think they were retreading ground that The Daily Show was already on with the first part of the show. sometimes there was overlap and not anything particularly unique about hearing it again from Larry.

the bits weren't usually very good due to the cast, and the writing never got better for those segments. they had a couple of good things going but it was super inconsistent. the real comedic talent was already on The Daily Show and we get like B-tier comedy in The Nightly Show, other than Rory and Mike Yard (80% of the time).

I think the whole show needed to be the panel and maybe 5 minutes setting up the story of the day to discuss. but then you'd need to have comedians who were politically intelligent, and not just ricky velez' "OMG UR DUMB IM YELLING ISNT THAT FUNNY"

undrtakr900

no, i dont think the panel was the downfall per se. i think they were retreading ground that The Daily Show was already on with the first part of the show. sometimes there was overlap and not anything particularly unique about hearing it again from Larry.

the bits weren't usually very good due to the cast, and the writing never got better for those segments. they had a couple of good things going but it was super inconsistent. the real comedic talent was already on The Daily Show and we get like B-tier comedy in The Nightly Show, other than Rory and Mike Yard (80% of the time).

I think the whole show needed to be the panel and maybe 5 minutes setting up the story of the day to discuss. but then you'd need to have comedians who were politically intelligent, and not just ricky velez' "OMG UR DUMB IM YELLING ISNT THAT FUNNY"
Haha, you know what I agree with everything you said, it did feel like the B-team. Also some skits just plain "WTF" like the "Black people freak out about magic tricks"<--even though the youTube video they got the idea from was a parody itself.

Colbert Report would cover the same topics as Jon Stewart, but it felt fresh/different with his faux conservative persona.

But one thing I did like about Larry was the seriousness & passion he emoted when talking about unarmed black people getting shot. I like Trevor Noah, but he shows the same emotions regardless of the story/topic at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom