• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mathematically Derived 500 Best Video Games of All Time (IGN User List)

geary

METHODOLOGY: 80 historical "Best of All Time" lists published over the last 30 years were compiled & assessed; Individual Rankings were scored based on a curve with bonus points for higher tiers; Appearance frequency, list eligibility, and minimum data thresholds were factored in

The Mathematically Derived 500 Best Video Games of All Time

Top 10
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Tetris [Game Boy]
3. The Last of Us
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Half-Life 2
6. Super Mario 64
7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
9. Resident Evil 4 [2005]
10. Grand Theft Auto V

Last edited:

BryceNobody

3 of the top 10 are Zelda?

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Quality list.

Last edited:
I wish I got what people like so much about BotW and TotK. This is coming from someone who's favorite game of all time is the original Legend of Zelda, with LTTP and Windwaker both being right up there as well.

BotW and TotK are fine, but they lack the magic of Zelda. I hate the cooking and using menus to heal, the combat. But mostly, I hate not finding meaningful things in the world. I wish they would get rid of the light orbs and instead put pieces of hearts, and pieces of stamina throughout the world, not only in shrines.

Get rid of the weapon system. It's terrible. Let me find stuff to upgrade weapons or something, but I can't stand having to choose to either use my weapon and watch it break, or sit on it indefinitely.

I could probably go on for pages of all the ways I would change that formula, but clearly I'm in the minority. It just sucks because I love Zelda (my son's name is Link because of my and my wife's love of the games) and wish I could appreciate the new direction, but its a miss for me.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Funny, I can list 500 games I rather play instead of The Last of Us...
It sticks out like a sore thumb in this top 5. 4 out of the top 5 were absolutely groundbreaking in terms of game design, then there's TLOU with mediocre gameplay but competent writing so critics hyped it up to hell because "games are mature now".

amigastar

I wish I got what people like so much about BotW and TotK. This is coming from someone who's favorite game of all time is the original Legend of Zelda, with LTTP and Windwaker both being right up there as well.

BotW and TotK are fine, but they lack the magic of Zelda. I hate the cooking and using menus to heal, the combat. But mostly, I hate not finding meaningful things in the world. I wish they would get rid of the light orbs and instead put pieces of hearts, and pieces of stamina throughout the world, not only in shrines.

Get rid of the weapon system. It's terrible. Let me find stuff to upgrade weapons or something, but I can't stand having to choose to either use my weapon and watch it break, or sit on it indefinitely.

I could probably go on for pages of all the ways I would change that formula, but clearly I'm in the minority. It just sucks because I love Zelda (my son's name is Link because of my and my wife's live of the games) and wish I could appreciate the new direction, but its a miss for me.
Your sons name is Link? Dude, thats so awesome.
But yeah, i also find BotW and TotK to be not that interesting.

Last edited:

Laieon

This is how I feel about them to. I don't dislike them, but they're ultimately just... there. I don't really feel anything while playing them, which is a far cry from the emotions I have while playing any of the 3D games from OOT through TP. A Link Between Worlds was a significantly better way at doing non-linear Zelda imo.

At the end of the day, it really just comes down to me preferring experiences that have carrots on a stick ready to go over experiences that ask me to make my own carrots.

LakeOf9

Ocarina of Time is so overrated, Jesus

Approve of BOTW and LTTP

Approve of everything else as well but RE4 and Tetris should swap places

Last edited:

Mitsurux

List seems fine for what it is, most of the games you would expect are on the list. What i would find more interesting is if they gave us more information on the actual methodology

METHODOLOGY: 80 historical "Best of All Time" lists published over the last 30 years were compiled & assessed; Individual Rankings were scored based on a curve with bonus points for higher tiers; Appearance frequency, list eligibility, and minimum data thresholds were factored in

List of the 80 Historical lists
Date range of the lists
How where the rankings scored (Explain the "curve" used, explain the system for "bonus points for higher tiers")
What do they mean when they say "list eligibility"

Drizzlehell

Banned
What an absolute shit stain of a list. Why am I not surprised that there are like five Zeldas and The Last of Us up there... and GTA 5?

pathetic-nolan-grayson.gif

At least they had the courtesy of putting one game that's an actual GOAT up there.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
No pokemon on the top 10. No dragon quest. Tetris not first, and beaten by a current gen game(!). No MGS on the top 10 is weird but not as weird as the NES Super Mario Bros being 37. Even GOW 2018 at 36 is not better than SMB. God I loved GOW but not to the point of being on top of the game that changed the world like SMB did in 1985.

nikos

Super Mario 64, Tetris (because of its legacy) and MAYBE (probably not but I loved it) GTA V deserve to be on that list.

The rest, not even close.

Lol what a retarded methology.

So newer games are at massive disadvantage beacuse they can't appear on the older lists. Hence no Elden Ring.

Well done ign you fucking idiots!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Putting values on random things willy nilly, and the process of adding these values together could be defined as mathemathics, that's actually true.

Top Bottom