• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Marvels has a “legacy” character cameo in its credit scene (Spoilers)

Soodanim

Gold Member
Phase 4, 5, and 6 is the Multiverse Saga. So it all ends with Secret Wars. But first they need universes to collide into each other (incursions). That starts with Marvels, then Deadpool 3. Feige just confirmed ALL of the previous Marvel movies are canon in the MCU multiverse, which is why NWH existed and all the Fox Mutants that matter are coming back.
MCU worked because it was serialised stories scaled up. A TV show that has a definite goal has three story lengths:
  1. Short: the episode, or in this context the movie
  2. Medium: the season, or in this context the Phase
  3. Long: the entire show, or in this context the Saga
The Infinity Saga worked because everything played into all three of those. Even when Iron Man 2 was lacking in the short story, it was playing heavily into the medium story. The Long story was a drip feed across the saga, and over time we were told where it was going and the anticipation built for Thanos. They could have ended MCU then and there and people would have been satisfied. We've all seen people say it should have stopped there.

The Multiverse Saga lacks Medium stories. They're vital, because without them you're asking people to be invested enough in Short stories that aren't always hits because of the eventual pay off of the Long story. But the Long story is a swing and a miss without Medium stories, because Smalls feed into Mediums and Mediums feed into the Long.
You would need a top grade screenwriter to make someone who killed dozens of innocent people likeable again.
It's not the first time Wanda's killed innocents and survived. If she returns and has the choice to team up with Kang or whoever and doesn't, she's automatically less evil by default. You should be right, but I wouldn't write it off. We didn't see a corpse and Wanda's been good before. If she makes a big enough save she can shift back into the grey area she's spent so much time in.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Did Tony Stark sacrificed himself in every universe?
Did Cap stayed in the past in every universe?

Opening that can of worms is a terrible idea

They're opening it.

Avengers: Secret Wars is coming in 2027. You just know that they'll shoe horn in multiple versions of Cap, Iron Man, Black Widow etc, plus a load of Marvel characters not yet seen in the MCU (Hyperion, Blue Marvel, the Living Tribunal).

That's where all this is leading. God Emperor Doom and Battleworld.

StueyDuck

Eh the days of these sorts of post credits being interesting are long gone

It's all just memberberries with Disney.

I'd rather they nuked the whole thing and started fresh with X-men and fantastic four with a fresh cast and for the love that is all that is holy, people who can actually write.

So very, very, very, very tired.

Charlie Day Ok GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Phase 4, 5, and 6 is the Multiverse Saga. So it all ends with Secret Wars. But first they need universes to collide into each other (incursions). That starts with Marvels, then Deadpool 3. Feige just confirmed ALL of the previous Marvel movies are canon in the MCU multiverse, which is why NWH existed and all the Fox Mutants that matter are coming back.

It's a strategy that removes any need for creativity whatsoever. They can just continue to crowbar in 'memberberry returns of legacy characters, and not have to bother with all that annoying new character development stuff.

It also removes any tension or stakes whatsoever, because there's always another universe, with another version of the character. They'll make money off the nostalgia shit, but this franchise has completely run out of creative steam, and sooner or latter, they're going to pay for that at the box office. Probably with the Marvels flopping badly, after every other under performance they've had this year.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Did Tony Stark sacrificed himself in every universe?
Did Cap stayed in the past in every universe?

Opening that can of worms is a terrible idea
They’ve already shown a different universe where the Blip never happened because they killed Thanos.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was hoping that they'd completely recast and revamp the X-Men to be more like the comics rather than what Fox did with the material.

And I am with others here, in that even though I think I have a fair grasp on all of the various multi-verse threads and I am enjoying Loki, it's feeling messy. The longer they put off the films that are supposed to advance the overall story of the Marvel universe it feels like a whole lot of elaborate wheel spinning. Like, Kang has only been in one movie, and yet because of Loki and whatever other mentions of him constantly, I am already Kanged out. Over that character. He isn't even compelling, or sinister, he's just bleh. Release his movie and kill the fucker already so we can move onto interesting stuff like mutants, watching serious-minded characters like Doctor Strange have to deal with the absurdity of Deadpool, the horror underpinnings of Blade, get back to Peter Parker and his now comic-accurate life in NYC, etc.

Ulysses 31

Like, Kang has only been in one movie, and yet because of Loki and whatever other mentions of him constantly, I am already Kanged out. Over that character. He isn't even compelling, or sinister, he's just bleh.
Doesn't really help that we've seen Kang be defeated several times now either. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Now they just need to reestablish She-Hulk as not cannon / another universe.
If we're cannon-ing anyone, let's cannon Rambeau into the sun. I'll take She-Hulk over her as canon, at least I felt something when I watched her even if it was mild annoyance. Rambeau is completely and utterly forgettable.

bitbydeath

If we're cannon-ing anyone, let's cannon Rambeau into the sun. I'll take She-Hulk over her as canon, at least I felt something when I watched her even if it was mild annoyance. Rambeau is completely and utterly forgettable.
She-hulk tried to establish mutants as commonplace on their earth, it made no sense.

ManaByte

Gold Member
She-hulk tried to establish mutants as commonplace on their earth, it made no sense.
No it didn’t.

Aside from a background Easter Egg about Wolverine on a tabloid website most people didn’t notice, there were no Mutants in She-Hulk.

Ms Marvel was the first mention of Mutation in the MCU and Namor is the first to call themselves a Mutant.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I clicked that spoiler without hesitation. That's how much I don't care about The Marvels and the current M-She-U.

bitbydeath

No it didn’t.

Aside from a background Easter Egg about Wolverine on a tabloid website most people didn’t notice, there were no Mutants in She-Hulk.

Ms Marvel was the first mention of Mutation in the MCU and Namor is the first to call themselves a Mutant.
Wasn’t that immortal lawyer guy a mutant and that girl from the good place with super human strength? (Forget their names)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is this meant to be some big earth shattering reveal in the post credits?

Because nobody will give a fuck. Nobody will care. The X Men universe died like a wet fart. Nobody cares about another version of Maria Rambeau. Nobody cared about the other ones.
No it’s this guy:
ellen page angel GIF

Last edited:
x-men, and a character called binary. Disney really are doing a u-turn on this woke stuff! (/s)

Because nobody will give a fuck. Nobody will care. The X Men universe died like a wet fart. Nobody cares about another version of Maria Rambeau. Nobody cared about the other ones.

This ^ I can't even name her actress, I vaguely recall her being shit in Wandavision where they sort of just did a "oh look she's got powers now" from being caught in some magic explosion and called it a day. Dr.Strange couldn't find a multiverse where anybody cares about this character.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

It's all relative. People popped for Xavier in his chair in Strange 2, and compared to the current list of Avengers (not that Rambeau is even at that level) that wet fart universe is superstars just by being established. Plus, of course, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine who is of the most recognisable faces in comic book movies, up there with RDJ, Thor, and Tobey Maguire.

X-Men will freshen up the MCU, same as Fantastic Four. They're desperately needed, too.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's all relative. People popped for Xavier in his chair in Strange 2, and compared to the current list of Avengers (not that Rambeau is even at that level) that wet fart universe is superstars just by being established. Plus, of course, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine who is of the most recognisable faces in comic book movies, up there with RDJ, Thor, and Tobey Maguire.

X-Men will freshen up the MCU, same as Fantastic Four. They're desperately needed, too.

A new X Men universe might… but just rehashing a series that fell off a fucking cliff?

Not gonna cut it. Lazy.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No it’s this guy:
ellen page angel GIF

So, a guy that was in one movie from nearly twenty years ago that was universally despised by everyone? Played by an old aged pensioner?

That‘s the big revelation that’s going to get the fanbase excited for what the next stage of the MCU is?

Hugh Jackman back as Wolverine

The internet in 2023: “he sucks”

Ok there's more than that going on

You don't think the SJW/Feminazi stuff ruined the MCU and turned alot of people off? Like how those politics ruined every other IP: DC, the Non MCU movies, Star Wars, Marvel Comics. DC Comics. The list goes on and on

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hugh Jackman back as Wolverine

The internet in 2023: “he sucks”

Who's saying that? Everyone loves Jackman. But one character can't sustain the rehashing of an entire universe that fell apart. Also, he's off in Deadpool land, which is doing its own thing.

Trying to make an increasingly bored and tired fanbase excited for a cinematic universe... by bringing back another tired and boring cinematic universe is idiotic.

They should be creating a brand new X-Men universe, and tying that in.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No it’s not. Deadpool 3 is the direct setup for Secret Wars. Jackman will be in that too.

Oh great, so the only thing that felt in any way different from the MCU sludge is now being included in the MCU sludge.

Fuck me, how can a series that was so good become so bad. It's clear everyone with any creative writing talent fucked off a long time ago.

The next few years of regurgitating old actors in characterisations well past their sell by date is going to get extremely embarrassing.

Hopefully The Marvels flops as hard as it looks like its going to, and Loki continues to perform badly, so there's some sort of rethink.

Who'd have ever thought the MCU would be needing course correction bullshit like the DCEU?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't think the post credit scenes really matter anyway.

Not many people are going to see this movie.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/the-marvels-box-office-opening-projection-1235595720/

Here’s something we don’t see often: opening projections plummeting for a Marvel Studios movie.

Its latest sequel to 2019’s Captain Marvel, The Marvels, which is also an extension of the Disney+ series WandaVision and Ms. Marvel, has seen its weekend forecast collapse from $75M-$80M three weeks ago to around $60M stateside. Some tracking services, such as Quorum, have lowered their estimates to $50M+. The Marvels opens this Friday.

Presales for The Marvels sit just north of $5M, which is on par with Warner Bros/DC’s The Flash, that movie flaming out with a $55M start stateside. Yikes. The worry is that if previews, which start at 3 p.m. Thursday, come in around $6M, The Marvels’ weekend would crater to $40M+.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The post credit scene has leaked onto social media, if anyone's interested. It's about what you'd expect.

Beast is entirely CGI by the looks of things.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I just checked my movie theater reservations for the Marvels. It's already showing here. And all 10 showings for today aren't even half full.

Yep. Nobody gives a shit anymore. Their greed and stupidity have run it into the ground.

MayauMiao

The post credit scene has leaked onto social media, if anyone's interested. It's about what you'd expect.

Beast is entirely CGI by the looks of things.

I noticed from the leak spoiler it was really quiet in the hall. It indicates barely anyone bother to watch th movie. Huge bomba incoming?

Good.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no one is expecting master class writing from this movie. I just want fun moments and good action, much like a mid-tier shonen anime with moments of great animation.

Hopefully that’s what I will get when I see it.

Good.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no one is expecting master class writing from this movie. I just want fun moments and good action, much like a mid-tier shonen anime with moments of great animation.

Hopefully that’s what I will get when I see it.

Hopefully your showing has some good trailers cos you aint getting any of that from this.

Top Bottom