• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remake Gameplay has leaked

GooseMan69

Just saw this in the recently bumped thread.

Lets fact check this based on the leaks assuming that is what we will get in the final version.

What's New with Visuals and Performances so far?
  • Completely rebuilt from the ground up the game has been faithfully enhanced with more realistic lighting and atmosphere, more intricate environments and creative reimaginings of familiar spaces. - False.
  • Original performances with original animation retargeted on new animation rigs, bringing them closer to the original performances of the VA on set - True
  • Same art director redid all the art from ground up confirmed by Neil Druckmann - True

Whats new with Gameplay so far?
  • A total overhaul of the original experience, faithfully reproduced but incorporating modernized gameplay mechanics, improved controls and expanded accessibility options. - Mostly false. Accessibility options are in the rest not so much.
  • Brand new AI confirmed by Neil Druckmann - False
  • Improved environmental storytelling and enhanced exploration - False
  • Combat will be redone confirmed by Neil Druckmann - False
  • New animations systems confirmed by Neil Druckmann - False
I cant see Neil going up on stage and lying about so many different things. I am beginning to believe that the leaked footage is from before ND took over in 2020.

This is copium. The most likely scenario is that they used a bunch of marketing jargon to make the game sound more impressive than it actually is. It’s that simple.

I don’t know much about game development, but I don’t see a two year old build having full menus with accessibility options and all that.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Perhaps because the flashbacks were short? And I can't speak for others so I don't know why they'd only notice it now, other than they're paying more attention to it maybe. But I did dislike during part-2 launch the changes to the faces of the flashbacks already. Especially for the scene where the first game ends where Ellie answers "Okay" since the facial expressions changing completely changes (and retcons) the ending of the first game. And I did think they changed the models too much as well already then.

OK this video convinced me not to buy the remake.
Yeah I knew original game still looked great but was still hoping for massive changes, especially for that price. It looks very marginally better (to me at least).

Fredrik

There's nothing that can be solved here by a delay.
They could reuse the action and AI from TLOU2. That’s what people assumed they would do.

I don’t know, I just expected more. And it’s rebuilt from the ground up for PS5 but does it look better than TLOU2? I don’t see it. Are there any comparisons?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If they aren't changing how the game plays and feels to play in general, I'm going to wait and buy it for 20$ from someone in a few months. TLOU2 killed the first game in terms of gameplay and everything around it, this looks like TLOU with TLOU2 visuals and nothing more.

Last edited:
Lets fact check this based on the leaks assuming that is what we will get in the final version.

What's New with Visuals and Performances so far?
  • Completely rebuilt from the ground up the game has been faithfully enhanced with more realistic lighting and atmosphere, more intricate environments and creative reimaginings of familiar spaces. - False.
  • Original performances with original animation retargeted on new animation rigs, bringing them closer to the original performances of the VA on set - True
  • Same art director redid all the art from ground up confirmed by Neil Druckmann - True

Whats new with Gameplay so far?
  • A total overhaul of the original experience, faithfully reproduced but incorporating modernized gameplay mechanics, improved controls and expanded accessibility options. - Mostly false. Accessibility options are in the rest not so much.
  • Brand new AI confirmed by Neil Druckmann - False
  • Improved environmental storytelling and enhanced exploration - False
  • Combat will be redone confirmed by Neil Druckmann - False
  • New animations systems confirmed by Neil Druckmann - False
I cant see Neil going up on stage and lying about so many different things. I am beginning to believe that the leaked footage is from before ND took over in 2020.
This huge ass thesis over a leak we have no idea where is from and what state the game was.
How about we wait before jumping into conclusions?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This huge ass thesis over a leak we have no idea where is from and what state the game was.

Somy need to put out an official gameplay trailer.

The fact they haven’t yet, on a gold game, two and a bit months from release is not a good sign.

Edit: I’m starting to think whoever leaked this did it knowing how poor the actual game advancements are.

Last edited:
Somy need to put out an official gameplay trailer.

The fact they haven’t yet, on a gold game, two months from release is not a good sign.
Red dead redemption 2 got gameplay trailers close to release. God of War releases in November and we got a single gameplay video a year ago over its entire development cycle. This is just how Sony does things.

People can still cancel preorders even if they reveal gameplay a week before release.

There's nothing good that can come from doing that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didnt write that. The person who made the thread did.

I just posted which of Neil's claims were true or false based on what we know so far. You can choose to ignore the post.

It can look good sometimes but generally it looks average and characters are pretty bad.
But looks aside, it's a terrible remake. They destroy everything that was good about Mafia.
Tommy is now a gruff gangster from the get go with his stupid voice. He was supposed to be a normal everyday fish out of water taxi man... you know. Like in the original.
Paulie looks like a pillow with eyes. I don't understand how they ruined him...
The shooting is terrible, music is terrible.

Driving was fun and city looked good. Pacing was also improved over original but I do say that original long drives had it's charm
Fuck Mafia Remake and fuck those developers. That game released I'm August '20, RIGHT BEFORE Series X and Ps5, and they never bothered to update it for next gen. Instead we're stuck playing it at shitty 30 fps with its God awful shooting controls and animation system. Like RDR2, that game NEEDS 60 fps to be enjoyable.

I hate lazy devs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Red dead redemption 2 got gameplay trailers close to release. God of War releases in November and we got a single gameplay video a year ago over its entire development cycle. This is just how Sony does things.

People can still cancel preorders even if they reveal gameplay a week before release.

There's nothing good that can come from doing that.

Neither of those games had the potential stench of a cash grab hanging over them.

If this is an actual decent remake of a beloved and extremely successful game, that isn’t a massive full priced rip off, with few actual upgrades or improvements... They need to fucking prove it.

Last edited:
Neither of those games had the potential stench of a cash grab hanging over them.

If this is an actual remake of a beloved game, that isn’t a massive full priced rip off, with few actual upgrades or improvements... They need to fucking prove it.
This is pure gaf / Twitter bubble working here. No one in the real world is screaming "cash grab" for this.

Also I think it's interesting people keep saying this isn't even as much content due to not having multiplayer but no one mentions this includes the DLC for some reason...

EruditeHobo

To me, the Uncharted series were real hype, great graphics, fun gameplay, incredible set pieces. Last Of Us is a good game, but nothing spectacular or worthy of repeated remakes.

TLOU is a much better example in terms of its narrative elements -- plot, story, characters, thematics, etc. That's why people love it so much.

Uncharted 4 might have better gameplay or more exciting set pieces than TLOU1... but those are less rare in the medium than really good characters and an interesting emotional core/throughline. That almost never happens in video games, and because of that TLOU stands out.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is pure gaf / Twitter bubble working here. No one in the real world is screaming "cash grab" for this.

Anyone in their right mind - if they see a remake of a recent and very popular game, that makes no other improvements than a graphical update, and costs full price to purchase - would rightly judge it to be a cash grab. Because people aren't actually that fucking stupid most of the time. Even video gamers.

EruditeHobo

Also I think it's interesting people keep saying this isn't even as much content due to not having multiplayer but no one mentions this includes the DLC for some reason...

Seriously. The problem here, as it often is in these forums, is the initial assumption.

There will be a lot of people are happy to spend $70 to play a game they loved with improved visuals and updated environments/gameplay. Many don't throw fits about the opportunity to buy a really good looking version of the game they loved. It's going to sell just fine... and then in a handful of months the show will come out, and it will sell even better.

Anyone can be mad about it, but those are facts. Any assumptions about a "cash grab" is worth basically nothing. It's just one more opinion, and you know what they say about those.

Last edited:

Thief1987

TLOU Remastered also including DLC, and multiplayer, and it was only 50$, and somehow Sony still in business after that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is copium. The most likely scenario is that they used a bunch of marketing jargon to make the game sound more impressive than it actually is. It’s that simple.

I don’t know much about game development, but I don’t see a two year old build having full menus with accessibility options and all that.
This game is a $70 quick cash to test their tech on PS5.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don't even care about the price.

I'll pay $70 if it has TLOU2 advancements

I won't even pay $5 if it doesn't
I'll definitely pay more than $5 for what amounts to a reskin, but yeah my enthusiasm for the project definitely took a dip with this making it look like some of the TLOU2 advances didn't make it over. If they're in + graphics upgrade, then day 1. If they're not...meh I've got other stuff to play until it goes on sale. It's kinda silly that I'm currently hooked on a PC port of a 15 year old PS2 game on my Steam Deck currently while my fancy PS5 sits very idle lately.

Meh who're we kidding, I'll probably still buy it day 1 and laugh at all the peeps going YoU'rE pArT oF tHe ProBlEm!!!1

Last edited:

Valonquar

Not 5 seconds into OP vid... DAT NECK THO
7O6tpkg.jpg

Novacain

To me this looks like an entirely unnecessary project so I'll wait until they throw it at me for free to look at it.

But if it's anyone else's cup of tea that's cool too

SlimySnake

Fuck Mafia Remake and fuck those developers. That game released I'm August '20, RIGHT BEFORE Series X and Ps5, and they never bothered to update it for next gen. Instead we're stuck playing it at shitty 30 fps with its God awful shooting controls and animation system. Like RDR2, that game NEEDS 60 fps to be enjoyable.

I hate lazy devs.
Dude they didnt even have to update the game. Just leave an option to keep framerate unlocked and it wouldve automatically run at 60 fps just like KZSF, Infamous Second Son, TLG, GOW and ever other game with an unlocked framerate. The BC in both the PS5 and XSX wouldve allowed it to run at 60 fps without any manual changes.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Seriously. The problem here, as it often is in these forums, is the initial assumption.

There will be a lot of people are happy to spend $70 to play a game they loved with improved visuals and updated environments/gameplay. Many don't throw fits about the opportunity to buy a really good looking version of the game they loved. It's going to sell just fine... and then in a handful of months the show will come out, and it will sell even better.

Anyone can be mad about it, but those are facts. Any assumptions about a "cash grab" is worth basically nothing. It's just one more opinion, and you know what they say about those.

…so, just mindlessly accept whatever practises video game companies undertake, no matter if they are cynical or exploitative?

Healthy.

SlimySnake

Someone mentioned Bend Studio working on this before Naughty Dog jump in. I hope this is their version not Naughty Dog's version lol.
Bend never worked on this. It was VSG game which is a support studio. ND took over after shipping TLOU2 in 2020.

Bend was helping with Factions. They had nothing to do with this. This has been a ND game for the last two years.

Corndog

Banned
There's nothing that can be solved here by a delay.
It's not a lack a polish, first of all people are just assuming that what they're seeing in a couple of videos leaked from who knows which build is the full story when it's probably not, second based on these leaks they're asking for this remake to be a project with a much bigger scope (full redesign with new gameplay mechanics and whole levels fully adapted to take advantage of these new mechanics otherwise the new mechanics per se are pointless or could actually break the whole game giving advantages that shouldn't be there).
This is in hindsight even more hilarious, this project is both the remake no one asked for but at the same time people are asking for a much bigger scope and development time spent on it :messenger_grinning_sweat: 👀

The situation is pretty simple and doesn't even deserve these storms in a cup, just wait until you hear the full story from ND, if you like it you buy it, if not just play something else or wait until this is added to PS+ Extra next year.
Personally I won't buy it regardless of the gameplay improvements because it's a game I fully remember and has no surprises left for me, I would just drag myself through it.
If it’s a low effort remaster then why 70 bucks? I think if it came out at 40 there would be a lot less complaining.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didn't really game much in 2020,so I never followed any game news.Was the leaks different to the actual game?

The TLoU 2 leak drama wasn't about the game play at all, it was entirely about the story leaks.

Namely, Joel being killed in the opening and you playing half the game as his killer.

People lost their shit at that.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I'll definitely pay more than $5 for what amounts to a reskin, but yeah my enthusiasm for the project definitely took a dip with this making it look like some of the TLOU2 advances didn't make it over. If they're in + graphics upgrade, then day 1. If they're not...meh I've got other stuff to play until it goes on sale. It's kinda silly that I'm currently hooked on a PC port of a 15 year old PS2 game on my Steam Deck currently while my fancy PS5 sits very idle lately.

Meh who're we kidding, I'll probably still buy it day 1 and laugh at all the peeps going YoU'rE pArT oF tHe ProBlEm!!!1
I think as long as people know what they are getting they can pay what they want. If they don’t mind 70 bucks that’s their choice. That said it seems like an overpriced product.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Bend never worked on this. It was VSG game which is a support studio. ND took over after shipping TLOU2 in 2020.

Bend was helping with Factions. They had nothing to do with this. This has been a ND game for the last two years.

They should give IP to Bend and let them develop an open world spin-off set in California/Nevada. Make it more survival horror RPG with vehicles and choice and consequences.

They did a great job with Uncharted on the Vita. And quite frankly I enjoyed Days Gone more than TLOU2, despite all the jank.

shaddam

I watched the ambush gameplay. It's the same and different in the same time. The movement looks different somehow. I played a lot of last of us lately so I think I have the eye for it now:messenger_grinning_sweat:
CqLvtKz.png

Still buying it, but not at full price. I would like to see a survivor difficulty gameplay

Elios83

If it’s a low effort remaster then why 70 bucks? I think if it came out at 40 there would be a lot less complaining.
It's not low effort, they spent at least two years on it fully remaking the graphics at the very least in TLOU2 quality (which is a gen ahead of the TLOU PS4 remaster) plus all the new PS5 specific features (Dualsense support, 3D audio) and the new accessibility features.
Right now it's just not clear how many gameplay improvements are there (and it's better to wait for ND to prove their point rather than making conclusions based on 5 minutes of leaked footage).
If some people don't feel 70$ is a fair price for this kind of work they can wait until they can find a deal at a lower price or even better until it's added on PS+.
If most people actually agree with this sentiment then the game won't stay at 70$ for long.
But quite frankly I see a lot of bullshit going around, people asking for everything and its opposite, as I said at first no one wanted to play this game and Naughty Dog shouldn't have wasted any resources on it and now they all want to play it but with the full TLOU2 gameplay :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: (which would mean to force the team to fully work on this project at a FF7R scale to rework all the levels to accomodate the gameplay changes). The game is still a side project.

SlimySnake

We do know the story behind this game. It was created as a project by the head of the Visual Studios Group which is typically a support studio for Sony and other third party devs. They figured that if they made a remake using TLOU2's engine, they could follow Bluepoint's tragectory and eventually become more than just a support studio. However, Herman came on and saw the results, wasnt impressed by the quality and asked why it was so expensive compared to other remakes. Then ND took over after shipping TLOU2 because while one team did have Factions dev going, they were waiting on their next big project. They became more and more involved with the project and after the head of the VSG studio left, ND took over completely.

In short, Sony didnt even want to make this game. The game started dev 2 years BEFORE TLOU2 ever came out. And it was made only because ND artists didnt have much to do after shipping TLOU2.

If Sony did want to take advantage of the engine, I think they wouldve (and shouldve) created a Lost Legacy style expansion/standalone title featuring Joel that they could work on in the interim.

CLW

Gold Member
I feel like I’ve played this game at least once for the past 2 generations not sure why though

Ulysses 31

I'm already well aware of that subreddit, these are same people that think changing an operating room from green to blue destorys the entire story, like genuine mental illness type shit.
That's a big of a disingenuous destruction, it's not just merely changing colors of a room but changing the visual story telling to look more favorable for the Fireflies.
Also that quote make absoutely zero sense whatsoever condisidering the same exact game ends with the triple down of "I would do it all over again". The people with this take are the same dumbasses that think Neil secertly hates Joel because he killed him and didn't have every character suck his dick by agreeing with all his actions, even tho he's on record saying he'd personally do the same thing as Joel did.
So TLOU2 is at odds with itself.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We do know the story behind this game. It was created as a project by the head of the Visual Studios Group which is typically a support studio for Sony and other third party devs. They figured that if they made a remake using TLOU2's engine, they could follow Bluepoint's tragectory and eventually become more than just a support studio. However, Herman came on and saw the results, wasnt impressed by the quality and asked why it was so expensive compared to other remakes. Then ND took over after shipping TLOU2 because while one team did have Factions dev going, they were waiting on their next big project. They became more and more involved with the project and after the head of the VSG studio left, ND took over completely.

In short, Sony didnt even want to make this game. The game started dev 2 years BEFORE TLOU2 ever came out. And it was made only because ND artists didnt have much to do after shipping TLOU2.

If Sony did want to take advantage of the engine, I think they wouldve (and shouldve) created a Lost Legacy style expansion/standalone title featuring Joel that they could work on in the interim.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah it seems like it could have been a project that's just kind of spiraled out of control. I mean, 4 years on a title that has the majority of the main work done for you and what looks like is just a graphics overhaul is not great. (If it ends up being a coat of paint update)

Would be interesting to know the staff count working in it....and if it was always planned to be a 70 dollar title. I feel like there could be a disconnect here that it either didn't cost as much and someone decided to charge 70 dollars for it at sony or instead it ended up costing a lot more than they thought and they are having to charge 70 dollars to recoup as much as possible.

Who knows, I imagine we must get previews etc in the coming few weeks...its out in the start of September after all.

Top Bottom