• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remake Gameplay has leaked

S0ULZB0URNE

But you have a souls avatar.

From are the most technically illiterate studio around and their games literally look like ps3 games. Can’t take you seriously with this
And you are defending a actual PS3 remake.

Elden Ring wasn't on PS3, couldn't be done on PS3 and the scope of Elden Ring is greater than current gaming devices hence the performance issues many have.

S0ULZB0URNE

Come on now 😂 it looks leagues above the PS4 version

Elden ring is a great game, but graphically it looks no better than a early PS4 game.To say this looks no better than the remaster is weird. Just from what I have seen so far it's in the top 3 best looking games ever made to date, alongside Forbidden West and TLOU2
🤭

Rachet and Clank Rift Apart and Demon's Souls would like a word with you.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

And you are defending a actual PS3 remake.

Elden Ring wasn't on PS3, couldn't be done on PS3 and the scope of Elden Ring is greater than current gaming devices hence the performance issues many have.
yeah no it could have been done on PS3 without a problem. From Software are shit developers when it comes to performance. its not like this is new. they have been like this since forever.

however, the gameplay is where it counts. and they are amazing at that ( not my style of games as I do not like to get frustrated when I am supposed to be having fun and enjoying the game )

S0ULZB0URNE

yeah no it could have been done on PS3 without a problem. From Software are shit developers when it comes to performance. its not like this is new. they have been like this since forever.

however, the gameplay is where it counts. and they are amazing at that ( not my style of games as I do not like to get frustrated when I am supposed to be having fun and enjoying the game )
No way could it be done on the PS3 and as I said it even has issues with current tech.

//DEVIL//

No way could it be done on the PS3 and as I said it even has issues with current tech.
as I said as well, I do not see the problem with PS3 handling open-world games. done with many games including GTA 4 and 5 and other games. Demon souls / Dark Souls as well but a less open world.

The problem is their engine is not well optimized. Ever since PS3, PS4, and PS5 and they still have severe frame pacing issues as well as frame dips. as proof of that even the 6900xt and 3090 struggle with this game on PC. are you telling me because the game is so next gen? or maybe because it's horribly optimized game? if you pick the first then something is wrong with you lol.

Oh yeah, they both look incredible, I'm actually playing Demon's Soul's now, but Forbidden West is the best looking game ever made to date imo, with Part 2 2nd
giphy.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

as I said as well, I do not see the problem with PS3 handling open-world games. done with many games including GTA 4 and 5 and other games. Demon souls / Dark Souls as well but a less open world.

The problem is their engine is not well optimized. Ever since PS3, PS4, and PS5 and they still have severe frame pacing issues as well as frame dips. as proof of that even the 6900xt and 3090 struggle with this game on PC. are you telling me because the game is so next gen? or maybe because it's horribly optimized game? if you pick the first then something is wrong with you lol.
No PS3 game, let alone open world with all of the stuff Elden Ring does comes close to Elden Ring... on PS3.
It no doubt PLAYS like a Current gen game AND it has hefty requirements.

Last edited:

drezz

Install it on a pc with PS3 specs then.. see the game fail to launch or stuck at 7fps and dc's 24/7

Could've made a "Similar" game too it, but would NOT be the same and in turn NOT worthy of "10/10"'s

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Unfortunately, new leaks from TLOU Remake. On the plus side, even with shitty compression and low resolution, I can tell this will be the most photorealistic game to date. Some shots legit look like they were taken from a movie.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, new leaks from TLOU Remake. On the plus side, even with shitty compression and low resolution, I can tell this will be the most photorealistic game to date. Some shots legit look like they were taken from a movie.

They really need to add Hero lighting and higher LODs to the in-gameplay character models.

"they lied...this wasn't built from the ground up" lmao...except...everything looks different again. All assets are changed.
The facial expressions, everything.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
They really need to add Hero lighting and higher LODs to the in-gameplay character models.

Is your comment based on this specific scene? Even with poor quality it's obvious that the models have much higher geometric density than TLOU2. And why are you asking for hero lighting? Do you not understand that character models casting shadows onto themselves is a good thing/improvement and pushes graphics closer to photorealism?

EDMIX

nah they saving that for the re-re-remake on PS6 lol

Though I don't think we'll get a remake then, but we'll see it remastered in some 3 game collection or something. Be like "The Last Of Us ULTIMATE EDTION remix 3x"

ChiefDada

Gold Member
"they lied...this wasn't built from the ground up" lmao...except...everything looks different again. All assets are changed.
The facial expressions, everything.

The attention to detail is insane. Look at Ellies face how well she emotes in the background during the standoff.

Is your comment based on this specific scene? Even with poor quality it's obvious that the models have much higher geometric density than TLOU2. And why are you asking for hero lighting? Do you not understand that character models casting shadows onto themselves is a good thing/improvement and pushes graphics closer to photorealism?

HFW has the best looking in game model by far due to the superb lighting model, essentially using cutscene quality lighting in game

TLOU1 remake looks great in cutscenes but in gameplay it’s not nearly as impressive

ChiefDada

Gold Member
HFW has the best looking in game model by far due to the superb lighting model, essentially using cutscene quality lighting in game

TLOU1 remake looks great in cutscenes but in gameplay it’s not nearly as impressive

Lighting in Horizon is often messy. Hero lighting can be good, but often times Horizon uses it to mask deficiencies in it's global illumination solution. You can see the hero lighting go wonky during sudden transitions from bright to dark areas. If the GI was on the same level of sophistication as TLOU remake (and Ratchet), they wouldn't have that issue. I don't blame Guerilla one bit since they had to deal with cross gen. Just is what it is.

Lighting in Horizon is often messy. Hero lighting can be good, but often times Horizon uses it to mask deficiencies in it's global illumination solution. You can see the hero lighting go wonky during sudden transitions from bright to dark areas. If the GI was on the same level of sophistication as TLOU remake (and Ratchet), they wouldn't have that issue. I don't blame Guerilla one bit since they had to deal with cross gen. Just is what it is.

Doesn’t matter, HFW character model in game far surpasses the quality of tlou1 remake

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

My goodness. They managed to completely ruin this scene. it was perfect before. Henry's expressions look better but Joel's look all wrong. He was so fucking good in this scene before. He made that scene.

I didnt mind the changes to the Tess character model. I dont care if she looks trailer trash. She looks absolutely incredible. I didnt mind the changes to his daughter's death scene. It's different but its fine. But this just pisses me off. Joel's character model doesnt have that jawline I remember. I sound gay saying this lmao but this was one of my favorite scenes in the first game. If they ruin the ranch scene im gonna riot.

are you saying the character models look better here than they do in gameplay? because this is a cutscene so they are using hero lighting in every shot.

angrod14

Can't see shit.

Why not just release the damn thing already? No point in waiting for the original launch date, and they obviously cannot keep their own content secure. These shitty, low-res leaks aren't doing them any favors.

are you saying the character models look better here than they do in gameplay? because this is a cutscene so they are using hero lighting in every shot.

Yes the difference between cutscene and gameplay is enormous.

They should try and use hero lighting in gameplay to make the visuals more impressive. I don’t see why this would be impossible given that the environments aren’t particularly impressive

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Doesn’t matter, HFW character model in game far surpasses the quality of tlou1 remake

No it doesn't😑

Henry's expressions look better but Joel's look all wrong.

I agree some of Joel's facial animations are off but I'm 100% sure that will get fixed before release.

because this is a cutscene so they are using hero lighting in every shot.

Where do you see hero lighting? Characters are getting lit by the sun only, which makes the self shadowing look awesome, particularly on Henry during the close up.

SlimySnake

Yes the difference between cutscene and gameplay is enormous.

They should try and use hero lighting in gameplay to make the visuals more impressive. I don’t see why this would be impossible given that the environments aren’t particularly impressive
they definitely can seeing as how they have a 4k 40 fps option with another option to allow for uncapped framerate so clearly they are able to go beyond 40 fps while targeting native 4k. If hero lighting was taxing the GPU (Which i dont think it does a lot looking at the bugs when HFW's original hero lighting reappears in some areas) then they couldve just taken the hit on the framerate since they have already managed to hit native 4k 30 fps.

They did say that they are using cutscene quality character models in gameplay but im not seeing it. maybe they need hero lighting to truly shine.

EDMIX

This looks awful, and unfinished.

Joel expressions being all over the place, the scene is not nearly as powerful as it was in the original.

nah i'd say the better facial animations make this scene just as powerful if not more so.

I don't think the people playing this game for the first time are going to be pretending its awful and unfinished and no impact, it sounds so dramatic and exaggerative that I have a hard time believing anyone playing this for the first time is saying that with this scene.

Vick

nah i'd say the better facial animations make this scene just as powerful if not more so.

I don't think the people playing this game for the first time are going to be pretending its awful and unfinished and no impact, it sounds so dramatic and exaggerative that I have a hard time believing anyone playing this for the first time is saying that with this scene.
How are Joel super odd, all over the place facial expressions in the last few seconds (most impactful black screen in videogame history in the original) making this scene "just as powerful if not more so"?

I don't know, i'm probably too used to the original, but it looks simply ridiculous to me. And unfinished, since as soon as i opened the video i thought i was looking at a WIP test with missing textures and assets on the environments.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I see improvements to the Henry and Joel scene, but the only thing I don't like it's the lighting. I think it's too bright. The window in the original game seemed to be covered in dirt which made the scene darker. The way the light shines through is a bit of a distraction.

EDMIX

How are Joel super odd, all over the place facial expressions in the last few seconds (most impactful black screen in videogame history in the original) making this scene "just as powerful if not more so"?

I don't see anything odd about his expressions....

I don't know, i'm probably too used to the original, but it looks simply ridiculous to me.

smh...i seriously don't think anyone who plays this for the first time is going to care as much as some of you really think... Nothing is happening here that is some "super odd" thing going on.

Super odd is fucking Mass Effect Andromeda's weird face glitches, nothing is going on here in terms of how he is looking that we wouldn't expect from someone looking down the barrel of a gun of a crazy man....

So I think this whole exaggerating every last thing and nitpicking and trying to sensationalize ever 40 second clip is what is going to get many to ignore these type of over the top exaggerations. The moment you say something like "too used to the original" Trust me man, many might disregard what you are saying as gatekeeping and see it as some fanboy rage.

I've learned to literally ignore this type of thing as many times before I believed the fans of those IP. They'd say shit like "This is the WORST Far Cry, stay away" and me being a fan of Far Cry 2 and not playing the series in generations listened...I end up getting Far Cry 5 used years later and give a try...ends up being one of my favorite in the series and I wonder what they were even talking about, look up the meta user reviews and its filled with a bunch of irrelevant nonsense and just massive exaggerations that make me question anything someone states that played the "original" or played the series prior or something like that. I makes it sound like the info given may not be honest and from a person that likes the original so much...they'll just lie and bash any remake. This makes it even worse as there are legit some remakes and remasters that are truly bad, like those AC remasters or even that Silent Hill remaster last gen.

Point is...when someone comes across as some fan of the original, it might not have people open up to believe their view, it might have them consider its some fan crazed, gatekeeping, anything other then the original is "badz" mindset. We have many remakes and remasters I'd say for folks to stay away from or has too many issues or something, I can't see that this would be one of them.

Like I'd say to stay away from Persona 3 port coming out soon as its the PSP one aka..the worst one. I don't say this as a fan of Persona 3 solely, I say this as someone that played both, would love a good remaster, but will warn that one version lacks too many features to recommend. Yet how can anyone find that info and believe it if they just think I'm some gatekeeping fan trying to stop them from playing the best version? This simply isn't enough here imho to make a huge deal out of as I've seen some fuck ups in remakes and remasters and this doesn't have enough to throw in that list.

Last edited:

I don't know, i'm probably too used to the original, but it looks simply ridiculous to me. And unfinished, since as soon as i opened the video i thought i was looking at a WIP test with missing textures and assets on the environments.
I think it looks fine. And we don't know is this final build or not. Might be same leaked version which is not the final build.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Geometric detail, and overall detail looks very good, looks higher then TLOU2, some other effects could be improved too. Its a shame they could not implement some type of realtime Gi though.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Is from the leaker so probably not the latest build.

decisions

Something about the cutscenes does not look right to me. You can clearly tell the animations are the same as the PS3 version but the way they changed the character’s faces and expressions doesn’t match.

mortal

Gold Member
Something about the cutscenes does not look right to me. You can clearly tell the animations are the same as the PS3 version but the way they changed the character’s faces and expressions doesn’t match.
How do they not match when they're even closer to actual performance captures?

Venuspower

Maybe because half of the animations still look as "outdated" as the PS3 version, and the other half of the animation now looks much more modern. Viewed individually, there is nothing wrong with it. But it still looks strange when you look at the two together. Which is the case in the Remake.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Maybe because half of the animations still look as "outdated" as the PS3 version, and the other half of the animation now looks much more modern. Viewed individually, there is nothing wrong with it. But it still looks strange when you look at the two together. Which is the case in the Remake.
In what way do they look outdated or modern, what does what even mean?
The remake's body and facial animations are even closer to original performance captures. It's even more evident in the side-by-side comparisons.
Even in the original PS3 game, they did a good job of coming close to those performances in the pre-rendered cutscenes, but due to the obvious technical limitations of that time, much of those nuances and subtle details in the performances didn't translate.
I'm not understanding the argument of how they don't match when they are even closer to what was originally captured.

Last edited:

decisions

I’m not saying they don’t match the performance captures, I’m saying they don’t match the rest of the model and the way it moves. Maybe it’s something to do with the faces animating more, but clothes, hair, etc. not. All I know is the original scene looks way less uncanny to me.

mortal

Gold Member
I’m not saying they don’t match the performance captures, I’m saying they don’t match the rest of the model and the way it moves. Maybe it’s something to do with the faces animating more, but clothes, hair, etc. not. All I know is the original scene looks way less uncanny to me.
The clothing and hair not animating as realistically is understandable. The closer to realism, the more small oddities will stick out. That's something that I do find lacking in many modern games with realistic visuals.
Although I wouldn't go as far as saying that it looks uncanny or that it doesn't match because of the lack of cloth animations. It just looks like the flashbacks in TLOU part II, which is more or less what they are aiming for.

Venuspower

In what way do they look outdated or modern, what does what even mean?

Take a look at TLOU Part II. After that you should know what "modern" means. Take a look at TLOU Remastered and you should see what "outdated" means.

Then take a look at the Remake and you will see that one half looks modern and the other half looks outdated. Which is especially weird when the facial animations in one scene look very detailed, but other animations in the same scene look absolutely "rough".

mortal

Gold Member
Take a look at TLOU Part II. After that you should know what "modern" means. Take a look at TLOU Remastered and you should see what "outdated" means.

Then take a look at the Remake and you will see that one half looks modern and the other half looks outdated. Which is especially weird when the facial animations in one scene look very detailed, but other animations in the same scene look absolutely "rough".
Terms like modern & outdated don't make sense for animation. It's matter of it being more detailed or realistic vs less detailed or stylistic.

I'm just not seeing this half and half execution in remake, unless the "rough" is referring to smaller details like the lack of more realistic cloth animations & deformation.
The physical movement performances look more or less as they do in real life, even in the PS3 cutscenes because of how well done they were. I'm not seeing the clash in the remake.

Top Bottom