• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ethomaz

Banned
SkillUp is a pretty good reviewer. However, I disagree with him on how good the gameplay of the first TLoU game is. I find his points regarding pacing and puzzles potentially good. Obviously I can't say anything about the story telling, but his arguments are sensible.

He may not be "right", but his point of view usually has something to stand on. So do what you will, but I don't think that he should be brushed off.
Well what I can tell about the gameplay of the first is that it is the best TPS gameplay in the market.
It is really shines in higher difficult and the MP factions.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean, it was one of the first things i spotted regarding reviews while on twitter. Maybe you are more prone to it than you believe.

The rest of the reviews don't seem to present how much better the combat is over the first title, which was a little weak already.
GeS2N9X.png
Well there is not so much to improve in the perfection gameplay of the first one.
Perhaps it is underutilized in the original campaign.

That makes me already miss the MP Factions in the sequel... terrible choice.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I mean, it was one of the first things i spotted regarding reviews while on twitter. Maybe you are more prone to it than you believe.

The rest of the reviews don't seem to present how much better the combat is over the first title, which was a little weak already.
GeS2N9X.png

It's really weird because in the preview footage and the review footage, I can actually see that the combat is much better. Even though the reviews I've seen say it has better gameplay, I don't actually need them to tell me ... I have eyes.

Rhurikan has issues with the story arc for some characters saying that some characters are poorly written by violating consistency of established personas within parts of the game. He only enjoyed about 60% of the story. Said the game is graphically and mechanically sound. Still liked the first one better story wise.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Well what I can tell about the gameplay of the first is that it is the best TPS gameplay in the market.
It is really shines in higher difficult and the MP factions.
See, for me, when I played it I couldn't stop thinking about how I felt like the Gears series did TPS better. Sure, it felt a bit clunkier, but it just felt heartier, grittier, and chunkier to me.

I think even preferred Max Payne 3 or Red Dead Redemption, actually. I personally felt like all the TPS in this was perfectly adequate and nothing else.

I really did enjoy Factions though, and a LOT more than I thought I would, haha.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Yeah, because that can't ever happen, right. Games will always be inferior because they're just video games ...

Show me where I said that.

It’s a laughable statement to say gaming has approached the best of what American cinema has to offer, much less has rivaled it. You honestly believe that, or you going to continue on with your straw man coming after me for something I didn’t even say?

Maybe Druckmann will place himself alongside the all-time greats of the silver screen with TLoU II, who knows. The potential is there, but sorry, it’s going to take a bit more for me to consider the all-time classics of the big screen to be matched, much less rivaled.

It's true the gameplay of the first game is so well crafted, tense and dynamic and it looks like they took it up a notch to new heights. That alone would go a long way to justifying these scores. For me the brilliance of the first is the marriage of super tight combat with a compelling story and setting.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Show me where I said that.

It’s a laughable statement to say gaming has approached the best of what American cinema has to offer, much less has rivaled it. You honestly believe that, or you going to continue on with your straw man coming after me for something I didn’t even say?

Maybe Druckmann will place himself alongside the all-time greats of the silver screen with TLoU II, who knows. The potential is there, but sorry, it’s going to take a bit more for me to consider the all-time classics of the big screen to be matched, much less rivaled.

So, when do you think it's going to happen? In a game you DO like perhaps? Definitely not in a game you haven't seen, obviously ...

Could this be that game? Who knows. I'll make my mind up when I actually play it and see it.

More terminally, the story of the game is a complete mess, foregoing any of the relationships, themes and tones that were central to the first game and replacing them with a petty revenge story driven by unlikable characters making decisions that seem ridiculous and unbelievable.

Holy shit. lmao

Blond

Banned
lol They actually rated down the game because of the violence.

I want to immediately shit on this but let's not act like contextual violence doesn't help or hurt the mood of the game.

Manhunt and Manhunt 2 are great examples that work well with this review.

Manhunt - violent, tense, a struggle with survival where all the things you do have some form of context in the greater arch of the story

Manhunt 2 - like TLOU 2, seems to be more violent, better gameplay, violence still exist and is more gruesome but in the greater story the violence inflicted seems almost cruel at times because the story has a guy cheering you on for doing horrific shit. You're surviving yes, but some of the violence comes across as choice than necessary, like you breaking into the fetish club only to slaughter everyone inside for no real story progress or killing security guards at the docks that have nothing to do with

I still don't have the game so I can't say that her viewpoints are justified or not, but I do know where she's coming from.

Helios

edit: ohhh it's one of those threads right? no criticism for saint last of us? Oh cmon.... ehhhh. I loved the first game. Just think it's gameplay was not the highlight at all. And 2nd one being 25h simple revenge story sounds meh
They aren't even trying to hide it, especially when the first reviewer that had anything bad to say about the game gets called "Irrelevant", "a paid shill", etc.
I already knew what I was getting into when I clicked the thread but it's still dissapointing.

Moogle11

Banned
Glad to see Naughty Dog delivered again. The first game and all the Uncharteds are Amin my all time favorite games and this has easily been my most anticipated game this generation.

And damnit, I just realized we’ll ve out of town the 20th-23rd. I had in my head that trip was the weekend after this launched.

Anyway, going dark on TLOU threads after this post as I’ve avoided spoilers thus far.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

Holy shit. lmao

Holy shit, indeed.... with all the drive-bys. You'll last long here neo

dude... if they're able to get all past gen games to run at 60-120fps it's fucking over for Sony. I see Sony losing a ton of sales to the XSX if they can't compete.

they games are fucking boring.

It was mediocre as fuck. I'll be waiting a long time before I pick this up if I pick it up. I think I'll just build a PC. I also hate the direction Sony is heading in with their woke nonsense and censoring games... fuck off!

PS5, but it'll be awhile before I pick it up. the games just seem boring to me but maybe when PSVR2 comes out.

Last edited:
8/10 is still a good score, I remember a reviewer at Eurogamer getting terrible abuse for his Uncharted 3 review with that score. Also remember Cliffy B kicking off at Jim Sterling for his 8/10 Gears 3 review. I don’t like some reviewers, their smug attitudes in particular however I can sympathise when you see shit like that going on.

I thought the reviewers were actually quite fair about that. I loved it myself but it's a weird game and should naturally divide opinion. We had Edge who fucking hated it so much they refused to review it. GOOD! Give me something that makes reviews sound like they aren't just press release statements from the developers.
Yes, but my point is still the reception of US, the general public. Not reviewers. SkillUp has a good argument for this and it's something along the lines of "If someone has a reason to dislike TLOU2 it's in the 12 hours I'm not allowed to talk about".

There have been critically well received games in the past that had bait and switch moments which were hated by gamers, making them very divisive in the community. Metal Gear Solid 2 for example was initially very divisive and it still is. You can also bet on way more negative youtube reviews in 1-2 weeks, since it will generate clicks.

Right now, after reading some reviews, I'd say I can't take most of them serious. There are a lot of pretentious statements there, like "gaming has finally grown up" and shit like that. So I made up my mind and will treat this the same way as I treated Death Stranding. I'll buy it next week and form my own opinion.

No intention of watching it because I don't care, but it was in my subs, so here's one for ya.

Edit: I find it funny...the lazy fucks at giant bomb who are sitting on their ass working from home now, didn't have anything ready to post once the embargo lifted. Probably will do something tomorrow. Meanwhile the guy who does work for home had something ready and posted right when the embargo lifted.

I wonder what he’s really pointing at...

thief183

I appreciate that.

They played the full game and shared what they thought about it (it is awesome).
They don't need to spoiler the game or talk about specifics.

First of all I have to admit that I don't really like Third person games and narrative driven games, so I'm biased (I skipped the cutscenes in the first tlou.... so take my opinion from a prospective of a person that only wants gameplay without story :))

My Grip in this is not the "spoiler thing" that is ok, is that it doesn't sound "legit" I mean, a lot of other games didn't have those limitation and good reviewer didn't spoil anything, but maybe I'm just pissed that a narrative game is getting so much love :)

Edit: I don't want to sound as a console fanboy, my post history show that I'm totally in the PC only side of things so there is no other bias other than personal preferences in my post

Last edited:

thief183

GeS2N9X.png

This is an example of what I'm worried about... so the gameplay is similar to the precessor (it sucked) but damn bast game ever... wtf, this is a game not a book or a movie.

Vroadstar

I find TLOUS a bit overrated franchise, but damn the level of salt here is in another dimension.

Do you happen to know where to buy boatload of salt, I heard it's been in short supply since the PS5 reveal. Let's partner up we can make a killing. You in?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
...Surely this guy doesn't have a review copy? Looking at his Twitter he's very clearly anti Sony.
Yea I watched his video. He had some complaints about the game's progression, the lack of lovable characters, that the game doesn't bring anything new to the table and the story.

I don't think I was expecting a revolution here. I was in it for the graphics and the story honestly. He does say it's one of the most beutiful games he's ever played but his comments about the story concern me. I have not been spoiled yet so...that's a bit concerning.

MiguelItUp

I learned today that Skillup is the most important reviewer of all time. and 10's flying all over is divisive /s
I don't think anyone ever said that he's the "most important reviewer", I mean, reviews and reviewers are subjective. So it really doesn't matter. That being said the guy really does do quality content. It'd be a shame if people shat all over him just because of an opinion he has that others don't agree with.

I find TLOUS a bit overrated franchise, but damn the level of salt here is in another dimension.
Agreed. Someone is bashed for their honesty, and everyone turns on them, lmao.

Like, I get the whole "OH THERE'S 1 NEGATIVE IN A PILE OF POSITIVES" thing, it's always questionable. But considering he put out a TLOU review recently, it really makes sense with his reaction to TLOU2. Not to mention he goes into enough detail to bring about his conclusion. Again, it's subjective, and not everyone will agree. But I do, because the feelings he brings up with the original TLOU were the same I shared while playing and completing TLOU. Honestly, I was shocked at all the praise it got. I thought it was a solid game, sure, and I'd recommend it to others. But I never ever thought it was one of the best video games ever made. Some of the best story telling and characters? Definitely! But, this was a video game, not a movie. The core gameplay was overshadowed by the amazing story telling and writing, and IMO there were so many other games out there that played better.

Also, just my opinion, don't shoot I'm unarmed! Lmao.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
...Surely this guy doesn't have a review copy? Looking at his Twitter he's very clearly anti Sony.

I like Skill Up and he does point out reviews are subjective. I likely won't agree with his review though, simply because of all the other positive reviews. That doesn't mean I definitely won't though. I haven't played the game yet. :)

Entroyp

I predicted a 90 so color me surprised. It also feels like an effortless 96 for some reason.

Is Edge reviewing this game? I assume they will give it a 6-8 if they do.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
What are these 10-12 hours that the reviewers aren’t allowed to talk about in their reviews !?! What happens?

PanzerAzel

So, when do you think it's going to happen? In a game you DO like perhaps? Definitely not in a game you haven't seen, obviously ...

Could this be that game? Who knows. I'll make my mind up when I actually play it and see it.
I love TLoU. I’m going to love TLoU II, I’ve no doubt. Simply because I refuse to agree that gaming hasn’t reached, nor surpassed, the heights of cinematic achievement doesn’t mean I dislike what I won’t acknowledge. Where are you getting this shit from? I simply found a comparison ludicrous, so fucking sue me.

Vroadstar

I don't think anyone ever said that he's the "most important reviewer", I mean, reviews and reviewers are subjective. So it really doesn't matter. That being said the guy really does do quality content. It'd be a shame if people shat all over him just because of an opinion he has that others don't agree with.

Agreed. Someone is bashed for their honesty, and everyone turns on them, lmao.

Like, I get the whole "OH THERE'S 1 NEGATIVE IN A PILE OF POSITIVES" thing, it's always questionable. But considering he put out a TLOU review recently, it really makes sense with his reaction to TLOU2. Not to mention he goes into enough detail to bring about his conclusion. Again, it's subjective, and not everyone will agree. But I do, because the feelings he brings up with the original TLOU were the same I shared while playing and completing TLOU. Honestly, I was shocked at all the praise it got. I thought it was a solid game, sure, and I'd recommend it to others. But I never ever thought it was one of the best video games ever made. Some of the best story telling and characters? Definitely! But, this was a video game, not a movie. The core gameplay was overshadowed by the amazing story telling and writing, and IMO there were so many other games out there that did it better.

Exactly what I pointed out, You are already not hot off the first one you yourself mentioned, in fact, you are also parroting the same tired it's video game, not a movie cliche. TLOU was hailed as one the best, and you don't agree with it, fair enough, but more people voted it the best not only review wise but with their wallets too.

So here we are in the second one, again by the looks of it, it will even trump the first one. Yet here you are, hailing a reviewer that's it's the right "honest" review, "quality content" compared to the 79 positives whose given it 10's and 100's, 9's. You don't even have to say Skillup is the "most important reviewer" for you, the fact that you've dismissed the work of the 79 positives ones tells a lot more about your confirmation bias than what the overwhelmingly positive reviews says. So basically to you "honesty" seems to be a trait only to a reviewer who agrees with your confirmation bias.

REE Machine

Banned
What are these 10-12 hours that the reviewers aren’t allowed to talk about in their reviews !?! What happens?
Prob major plot and spoiler points they dont want shared online, they can give there review on the overall experince but not share key elements that spoil the game

MiguelItUp

Exactly what I pointed out, You are already not hot off the first one you yourself mentioned, in fact, you are also parroting the same tired it's video game, not a movie cliche. TLOU was hailed as one the best, and you don't agree with it, fair enough, but more people voted it the best not only review wise but with their wallets too.

So here we are in the second one, again by the looks of it, it will even trump the first one. Yet here you are, hailing a reviewer that's it's the right "honest" review, "quality content" compared to the 79 positives whose given it 10's and 100's, 9's. You don't even have to say Skillup is the "most important reviewer" for you, the fact that you've dismissed the work of the 79 positives ones tells a lot more about your confirmation bias than what the overwhelmingly positive reviews says. So basically to you "honesty" seems to be a trait only to a reviewer who agrees with your confirmation bias.
Okay. I was just saying that I came to my conclusion because what he said was exactly how I felt about the first. That it felt honest to me as it agreed with my view and opinion. That was it. But alright.

I don't have a particular reviewer that I follow, or a website, etc. I'd prefer to just find things out for myself.

I just thought it was interesting to see that one youtuber felt the same way about the original that I did, and it happened to be someone that I already followed. So, it's possible that his opinion on TLOU2 may very well be similar to my own based on his opinions on the sequel.

Again, will I play the TLOU2? Most likely some day, just not at launch. I'm not here bashing someone's family member or something. Christ, lmao.

Last edited:
Top Bottom