• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Hellblade II is massive, and growing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Helldivers 2 had no hype either and we all thought Sony was sending it out to die.

But yes, the lack of hype is very disappointing. the first two trailers were very impressive. The first one showed massive scale and the second one showed a very impressive setpiece. Nothing shown since has that scale. it just screams indie linear walking simulator.

The fact that they are forcing 1v1 combat encounters is also very bizarre. its 2024, you should have enough experience in combat design to be able to handle multiple enemies.

i will still sub to gamepass on day one for this.

Perhaps someone should post a thread about it every time the game director takes a dump like some did with Stellar Blade (remember her?).

417453.jpg
That dog looks like one of the dumbest creatures to ever exist. I love it.

Topher

Gold Member
Yup, I think they're next given how little people care about Hellblade II and it'll barely sell cuz of Gamepass. They should start thinking about going independent again asap.

Hopefully they will be allowed to do that rather than just shutting them down.

In all the footage I’ve seen of this game, I don’t think I’ve seen any actual gameplay. Just weird cutscenes someone on shrooms dreamt up
I played the first one. That game is balls deep in "gameplay is getting in the way of My Experience" territory. One of those games so Cinematic, gameplay becomes a hassle for their pretentious auteur aspirations. But hey, mental health struggles are like, so hot right now.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
interactive movie about mental health disorders was never going to be a system seller.
Obviously. Moreover, it never meant to be cuz MS don't even care about their consoles and how much of them they're going to sell.

Or maybe Microsoft should show more interest in marketing their games.
They don't give a fuck.

Hopefully they will be allowed to do that rather than just shutting them down.
This or there's just going to be an exodus of all key people who will form a new studio and then pick up everyone who's been laid off after the studio shut down by MS.

Last edited:

Lions Gate

Banned
The last game I can remember that had this type of hype leading up to its release was Red Dead Redemption 2.
It's trending on twitter every day. Forums and social media are all about HB2, and MS hasn't advertised jack shit for it.

I haven't really been a ninja guy, but I am a psychotic guy, so this game is for me, but was the hype like this when the last DmC came out?
giphy.gif

Ninja Theory devs will start to really fear for their jobs the day the PS5 port of Hellblade 2 goes gold. From that moment all bets are off.

Yea this is what I said as well. Once that PS5 port ships they better pray it jumps to one of the top sellers on PS.

King Dazzar

If ever I want to revisit the misery of living with my ex-wife, then it's great to know there's a new game out there just for that. I think the 30fps judder will only help convey the utterly depressing experience further.

Cant wait!

Perhaps someone should post a thread about it every time the game director takes a dump like some did with Stellar Blade (remember her?).

Sure, because making a deep-dive of gameplay + demo before release as they did with Stellar Blade is the same as what they are doing with Hellblade. There's a reason why they are "hiding" this game while the other is proudly shown off. I'll leave it to you to guess which one is the most fun.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Gamepass title thankfully.

I want to see the visuals they cooked up but I wouldn’t buy it for a dollar.

Idk, Hellblade seems the type of game that should have come as a launch title more than anything else. It's a hard sell for those who didn't play the first or played it and didn't like it. The costs for the game seem to be massive relatively to its size (less than 10 hours campaign). Idk, but I don't have much faith on it. I liked Hellblade 1 but it was so long ago now that I'm not really interested in 2 at all.

Not to be the bearer of bad new, but I think the game won't meet Microsoft's expectations for it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Pidull

I didn't even know this was coming out this month. MS have fucked up so bad with this game that I'd have said it was comical if it wasn't for the fact that when this game doesn't meet their expectations they'll likely close the studio.
Holy crap I didn't even realize it was coming out anytime soon. I figured it was a Fall 2024 release.

And I own a Series X that I use often enough.

This truly is the death knell of the Xbox brand.

Zuzu

I might play through it but the thought of having to go through those tedious puzzles again is putting me off. The story and characters are going to have to be really compelling if I’m to complete it.

Pelao

I was willing to pay 70 bucks for Stellar Blade on PS5.
Meanwhile, I don't even intend to download Hellblade 2 through Gamepass.
That's how hyped I am for the game.

Last edited:
I might play through it but the thought of having to go through those tedious puzzles again is putting me off. The story and characters are going to have to be really compelling if I’m to complete it.

Agreed, really enjoyed the first one apart from the puzzles.

Saber

Gold Member
The only thing growing is the chances of those devs and studios going to the chopping block. Nothing stops the Microsoft lay off machine, thats for sure.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Apart from anything, who wants to support anything coming out of Xbox now?

Ninja Theory are probably fucked either way, and Xbox clearly don't give a shit about their devs, so why would I now waste my money helping Xbox executives?

Probably a better idea if you really want to play it to pirate that shit, so the money men don't see any profits from it, and support the devs when they go off to make stuff independently again.

Last edited:

midnightAI

The only reason the game has any kinda hype is cos it's pretty

I just hope for a physical PS5 release, not due to platform loyalty just that I prefer physical and I want to support the Devs (they better not shut down these Ninjas)

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's quite literally my most hyped game of the year. The only other game I'm even excited for is Space Marine 2.

Looks like a visceral and intense experience with crazy high production values.

Lmao what hype ? I barely hear about hellblade or see any to no threads about it .

I don’t honestly remember the last game that even got massive hype tbh

Helldivers 2 had no hype either and we all thought Sony was sending it out to die.

But yes, the lack of hype is very disappointing. the first two trailers were very impressive. The first one showed massive scale and the second one showed a very impressive setpiece. Nothing shown since has that scale. it just screams indie linear walking simulator.

The fact that they are forcing 1v1 combat encounters is also very bizarre. its 2024, you should have enough experience in combat design to be able to handle multiple enemies.

The combat is the weird part to me for Hell Blade. The combat in DMC was great to me so they know how to do it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

The 1v1 combat is why its so exciting to me. Makes it way more... personal. And you can really up the intensity with every fight. This combat looks refreshing.

Top Bottom